Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

wadacrack wrote: »
    The Kim character is awful really. Her relationship with Jimmy seems very fake too. I know its the intention of the writers to portray this but it just seems a bit much

It’s complete nonsense always was.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bigus wrote: »
    Doh... for the big mesa verde retainer/ salary, which she can use to enable her and jimmy's fantasies.

One cat out of the bag stroke like that will get her at least two years earnings doing drudgery with no results.

I'm not buying that.

Her retainer was obviously save as they didn't even kick her out after she messed up and prioritised her pro bono case when she was urgently needed at Mesa Verde

However, it is no more far fetched then fellas exploding things under ground and no one notices a thing...

Have you been to the US, to thinly populated areas? I'd say it is very feasible to do a few smallish scale explosions (covered by a very loud truck) with nobody paying attention / raising suspicion

I seem to notice over the last few episodes (could be wrong here) that the laundrette is in a much less built up area than it is in later years in BB. Perhaps one of the first buildings in a newly to be developed area?

The blasts in particular and the building of the lab in geneneral, are completely believable and very well worked out imho. The one strong pillar of this season, no pun intended :p

And there's the clear observations that the crew (supposed to be the best pros in the world that money can buy) are only human, and quite fallible. Almost pathetic. Not even that good at their jobs at times (under pressure), so it seems. Gives it another quite believable angle. This is the sort of depth and attention to detail you will not find in any other show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

noodler wrote: »
    Didn't quite get the blueprint scam.

The boss of Mesa Verde wanted to change the design of their new branch, but Kim said the plans had already been submitted to the (not sure what the actual term for them would be, but basically their version of a County Council or Planning Authority), so they couldn't change them. But then Kim and Jimmy came up with a plan to do it.

She went to the Council and asked to see the plans to check something. She pulled out one set of drawings which were the same as the ones submitted, so the clerk would think they're the same, so Kim put her copy of the drawings back in the tube. After Jimmy came in, ruined the Council's copy, the clerk agreed to swap out the ruined Council's copy for the set Kim had brought, since they were the same, but Kim pulled a different set of drawings out of the tube (with the changes her boss had wanted) and gave them to the clerk. The clerk wouldn't be familiar enough with the drawings to notice the differences, and thought they were the same set as they had checked together, so stamped them to make them look the council drawings that were ruined.

So Kim was basically able to replace the drawings for the smaller office with ones for a bigger office (or whatever the changes were that her boss wanted), without having to resubmit the entire thing which would have cost too much time and money, by making it seem like the new drawings were the ones submitted in the first place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's the wonderful details that make this show so outstanding.

Jimmy did not choose the two schools he mentioned during his hearing at random
    n3ykvk7sh0q11.jpg

EXIT
    k3yqdpn6eup11.png

3hq9ikturwp11.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

And then we get not one but 2 great scenes from Eduardo (with Hector and Gus).

he's top class - hope to see a lot more of him

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's the wonderful details that make this show so outstanding.

Jimmy did not choose the two schools he mentioned during his hearing at random

Both schools were mentioned by Howard in his eulogy for Chuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

De Bhál wrote: »
    he's top class - hope to see a lot more of him

Yeah, he is very believable friendly on the surface, with an undercurrent.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow Just saw that Saul mentioned Lalo in Breaking Bad !!!

Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Incredible!

Actually, that's TWO incredibles. 1. How many years ago was that scene written, being probably the only time Lalo was mentioned, and now the name is resurrected. 2. Gormduhgorm remembered it!!!

Despite congratulating myself on spotting certain details (and yes, imagining others) I'm really only in the ha'penny place:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Character from Breaking Bad pops up in Breaking Bad spinoff Better Call Saul....

Am I missing something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Nailed the teaser scene, naturally. I thought Hans Gruber was gonna show up asking about his detonators. :pac: And the truck, almost hoping we'd have Spielberg's Duel. The framing of the dynamic in Jimmy's hearing was quite telling and the roof top scene was pure dynamite.

Pelvis wrote: »
    Character from Breaking Bad pops up in Breaking Bad spinoff Better Call Saul....

Am I missing something?

Its not so much the reappearance of that character, as the fact that someone spotted the link. I certainly don't remember the reference to the character in BB (admittedly that might be a weakness on my part), do you? If that scene posted by GDG is the only reference to Lalo, its certainly obscure at this stage.

Maybe my mind is playing tricks on my, but when I saw the pic, I did recall the BB scene and thinking "WTF is Lalo?" at the time :)

unkel wrote: »
    Maybe my mind is playing tricks on my, but when I saw the pic, I did recall the BB scene and thinking "WTF is Lalo?" at the time :)

And do you know what I remember most from that scene? Its black comedy. I kept thinking Laurel and Hardy or Abbot and Costello.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

Just on the truck and the explosion....

While it was obviously there in part to help obscure the noise from the blast, if you look closely, it was also timed specifically to keep the manhole covers on the road down/in place and from blowing open from the explosion. That's what I saw anyway.

Again, fantastic attention to detail - who else would have ever bothered with something like that or even have thought of it in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

BandMember wrote: »
    Just on the truck and the explosion....

While it was obviously there in part to help obscure the noise from the blast, if you look closely, it was also timed specifically to keep the manhole covers on the road down/in place and from blowing open from the explosion. That's what I saw anyway.

Again, fantastic attention to detail - who else would have ever bothered with something like that or even have thought of it in the first place?

No, no chance of the manholes being affected by the explosion. The truck crossed over them to create a loud noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Can someone explain the lead into Episode 5 in the current series - the intro is him in his office, extracting all his money and shredding files. I have a head like a sieve, but my recollection is that he only got into that office with that secretary in Breaking Bad, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 El Grifo

Can someone explain the lead into Episode 5 in the current series - the intro is him in his office, extracting all his money and shredding files. I have a head like a sieve, but my recollection is that he only got into that office with that secretary in Breaking Bad, no?

They appear to be giving a "flash forward" to when it all goes pear shaped in BB. If you hadn't seen BB you'd be very confused.

Yep, BB. It's the day of reckoning. Saul collects all his money and is about to change identity, never to be seen again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Actually, that's TWO incredibles. 1. How many years ago was that scene written, being probably the only time Lalo was mentioned, and now the name is resurrected. 2. Gormduhgorm remembered it!!!

Despite congratulating myself on spotting certain details (and yes, imagining others) I'm really only in the ha'penny place:D

I find it very hard to believe the storyline and characters have all been designed and written from the outset. This show is a spin off, writers will go back on the original show and pick out pieces that are worth developing. It’s not hard to do, pull out some shįte about the background of where los pollos hernanos and make it interesting with some charachter connected to some other character and we are all falling over ourselves calling the writer a genius. They are just making it up as they go along.

sightband wrote: »
    I find it very hard to believe the storyline and characters have all been designed and written from the outset. This show is a spin off, writers will go back on the original show and pick out pieces that are worth developing. It’s not hard to do, pull out some shįte about the background of where los pollos hernanos and make it interesting with some charachter connected to some other character and we are all falling over ourselves calling the writer a genius. They are just making it up as they go along.

I agree with you. And as Pelvis put it, seeing BB characters in a BB prequel isn't exactly miraculous. But I think part of the attraction of watching any prequel is spotting these references. No doubt its easy enough to go back and find an obscure link (as the writer) but the beauty is in how that's revealed and made more compelling. I feel the writing is good, but admittedly it has weaknesses (a la Kim's situation). Just reading all the posts on here highlights them. All in all, it doesn't take away from the enjoyment I'm getting from the series, AND from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Incredible!

What episode and scene???

What episode and scene???

just go back a few pages to post#3188 from gormdubhgorm

All in all, it doesn't take away from the enjoyment I'm getting from the series, AND from this thread.

I think that applies to all of us in here, brother :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 El Grifo

I agree with you. And as Pelvis put it, seeing BB characters in a BB prequel isn't exactly miraculous. But I think part of the attraction of watching any prequel is spotting these references.

What I like about it is seeing where some things / characters in BB came from.
    e.g. The story of Hector Salamanca's bell on his wheelchair.

I'm finding it really hard to care about anything to do with building the lab. A story that didn't need to be told.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I think I'm the only one who likes Kim :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

I think I'm the only one who likes Kim :o

She sounds like Bert or Ernie, not sure which one but it’s one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

just go back a few pages to post#3188 from gormdubhgorm

Thank you,
    Amazing from the writers!

Advertisement