Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

El Grifo wrote: »
    What I like about it is seeing where some things / characters in BB came from.
    e.g. The story of Hector Salamanca's bell on his wheelchair.

I kinda have to admit, I didn't particularly like there being a story behind the bell. He can only really move his finger, so a bell is a pretty obvious thing to use. The fact it was a bell from wherever just imbues it with a uniqueness rather than it becoming unique through Hector's use of it.

But it was a great scene though. I'm liking Lalo as a character. Could be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

De Bhál wrote: »
    No, no chance of the manholes being affected by the explosion. The truck crossed over them to create a loud noise.

Have another look at notice the back of the truck and the road underneath it when the explosion happens.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Penn wrote: »
    I kinda have to admit, I didn't particularly like there being a story behind the bell. He can only really move his finger, so a bell is a pretty obvious thing to use. The fact it was a bell from wherever just imbues it with a uniqueness rather than it becoming unique through Hector's use of it.

But it was a great scene though. I'm liking Lalo as a character. Could be fantastic.

I was waiting for Lalo to open the box and take out a badly burned right hand.
    "eh, 'ector! 'ere is the hand of il professore, as a reminder that NO ONE messes with the Salamancas".
    And he certainly seems like the kind of guy to do just that. But he'd be smiling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Thammer

wadacrack wrote: »
    The Kim character is awful really. Her relationship with Jimmy seems very fake too. I know its the intention of the writers to portray this but it just seems a bit much

The chemistry is so bad I'm guessing they don't like other off screen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Thammer wrote: »
    The chemistry is so bad I'm guessing they don't like other off screen

Yea seems very forced

• Advertisement

Mexico takes an awful hammering from the writers,I'm guessing they don't take any awards down there

They're depending on Gus to mastermind everything and he's no genius either ,the chances he took with Walt and Jesse

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

I'm finding it really hard to care about anything to do with building the lab. A story that didn't need to be told.

appears mundane on the surface but im finding the drama between the head german guy and mike interesting , he is an interesting character .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

BandMember wrote: »
    Have another look at notice the back of the truck and the road underneath it when the explosion happens.... ;)

Had a look, the lorry trailer drops down into the dip in the road (pothole or manhole cover) and pops back over the opposite lip with a loud noise. The trailer also looked empty which would mean even noisier than a full trailer.

What do you see that I'm missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think it's very enjoyable despite the slightly predictable script.

appears mundane on the surface but im finding the drama between the head german guy and mike interesting , he is an interesting character .

Count me out on that,very dull imo

Big deal he escaped like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'm finding it really hard to care about anything to do with building the lab. A story that didn't need to be told.

I said it a good few pages back , it's probably to highlight how expensive and difficult the meth business was for Gus, yet Walter White stumbled into it and built a meth business almost by accident.

Its definitely a problem I have. Similar to how I felt about Star Wars: Rogue One. Wasn't interested from day 1 due to the whole premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,784 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Its definitely a problem I have. Similar to how I felt about Star Wars: Rogue One. Wasn't interested from day 1 due to the whole premise.

It's funny Rogue One was the only newest Star Wars that I enjoyed.
    Star Wars itself seems like it does not know what to be pretentious, funny or serious?
    Then it ends up with a mishmash of nothing and special effects.
    For the most part BCS has remained consistent even if they were taking the p with arthouse stuff for an episode or two.
    I am back on board with it now because stuff is happening at last.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

The boss of Mesa Verde wanted to change the design of their new branch, but Kim said the plans had already been submitted to the (not sure what the actual term for them would be, but basically their version of a County Council or Planning Authority), so they couldn't change them. But then Kim and Jimmy came up with a plan to do it.

She went to the Council and asked to see the plans to check something. She pulled out one set of drawings which were the same as the ones submitted, so the clerk would think they're the same, so Kim put her copy of the drawings back in the tube. After Jimmy came in, ruined the Council's copy, the clerk agreed to swap out the ruined Council's copy for the set Kim had brought, since they were the same, but Kim pulled a different set of drawings out of the tube (with the changes her boss had wanted) and gave them to the clerk. The clerk wouldn't be familiar enough with the drawings to notice the differences, and thought they were the same set as they had checked together, so stamped them to make them look the council drawings that were ruined.

So Kim was basically able to replace the drawings for the smaller office with ones for a bigger office (or whatever the changes were that her boss wanted), without having to resubmit the entire thing which would have cost too much time and money, by making it seem like the new drawings were the ones submitted in the first place.

Tiny (possibly irrelevant) detail that i was a bit confused by. The stamp bit.
    Did she stamp them before making a copy to give back to Kim.

So then Kim would have a stamped copy.
    But Kim came in with an unstamped copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

no, she stamped the replaced documents (presumably its a date stamp, so presumably she stamped them with the same date as was on the originals), as all documents received by officialdom should be stamped to confirm their date of receipt.

now, if anyone examines the docs in the folio, they'll ALL be stamped identically, so the switch is undetectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

What a great episode. Heart wa pounding all the way through that one. The tension...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Obviously I've no clue how the lawyer disciplinary process works in New Mexico but it seems odd that a person's career can be determined by something as flaky and subjective as someone thinking the person was insincere.

The moment Kim mentioned that an appeal is possible, I thought all they have to say is that Jimmy feels very uncomfortable talking about Chuck because of the impact his death had on him, hence the reason why he didn't mention him during the meeting. Job done.

no, she stamped the replaced documents (presumably its a date stamp, so presumably she stamped them with the same date as was on the originals), as all documents received by officialdom should be stamped to confirm their date of receipt.

now, if anyone examines the docs in the folio, they'll ALL be stamped identically, so the switch is undetectable.

Yeah, Councils do the same here. They date stamp planning documents received with an official Council stamp. So the clerk was stamping the new drawings Kim brought in to replace the ruined copy of the ones the Council had already stamped, thereby making the new drawings look like they were the original ones submitted (which she thought were the exact same and didn't know were different).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yeah, Councils do the same here. They date stamp planning documents received with an official Council stamp. So the clerk was stamping the new drawings Kim brought in to replace the ruined copy of the ones the Council had already stamped, thereby making the new drawings look like they were the original ones submitted (which she thought were the exact same and didn't know were different).

I know it's just a TV show, but i am baffled if planning authorities there don't also make you submit 6 copies of everything like they do here...

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I know it's just a TV show, but i am baffled if planning authorities there don't also make you submit 6 copies of everything like they do here...

Exactly what I was thinking when watching the episode.
    Also, surely they have some sort of online system like they do here with copies of everything submitted.
    I did still think it was a good story line and it was done very well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Exactly what I was thinking when watching the episode.
    Also, surely they have some sort of online system like they do here with copies of everything submitted.
    I did still think it was a good story line and it was done very well.

It’s probably only 2006 or something. Was our planning system fully online then?

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

It’s probably only 2006 or something. Was our planning system fully online then?

Very true.
    Not sure, but it probably wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good point. We might not even be at 2006 yet. Anyone have any good link to a BCS / BB timeline?

Well the reason we submit 6 copies here is so different copies can go to different departments (roads, planning, water etc). It might be just the system there that either you submit one copy and they produce additional copies of those drawings themselves for each department (and the cost for some is included in the fee you pay), or considering the wad of drawings that were there, there may have been multiple copies of the drawings clipped together (hence why it was only two of the top few drawings Kim and the clerk checked, as the rest would have been additional copies of the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Very true.
    Not sure, but it probably wasn't.

All the more important to keep more than one copy of a thing..

Apologies for making this unbelievably boring, carry on :o

Obviously I've no clue how the lawyer disciplinary process works in New Mexico but it seems odd that a person's career can be determined by something as flaky and subjective as someone thinking the person was insincere.

The moment Kim mentioned that an appeal is possible, I thought all they have to say is that Jimmy feels very uncomfortable talking about Chuck because of the impact his death had on him, hence the reason why he didn't mention him during the meeting. Job done.

The other alternative in the review I saw he said both Kim and the panel were wrong.
    He claims it was the contradiction about American Samoa University that swayed the panel.
    One minute he was crediting American Samoa for his education he his monglogue before the final question.
    Then in the final question he slags them off by saying it is not MidWestern or Georgetown - 'Go land Crabs'
    If you watch the panel members expression when he gets to the bit this is where he looks like fell down.

unkel wrote: »
    Good point. We might not even be at 2006 yet. Anyone have any good link to a BCS / BB timeline?

According to this, we are supposedly up to 2004 in the BCS universe.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Better_Call_Saul_Timeline

I would love to know where they get thier info!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

The other alternative in the review I saw he said both
    If you watch the panel members expression when he gets to the bit this is where he looks like fell down.

the panel asked what was his influence and they wanted him to mention Chuck but yeah he said 'Go Land Crabs' and that was that.

bit stupid really considering the great speech he'd done previous

The Mexicans despise the Chilean and likewise

Brawn v brains but Gus wins the war

The new mexican guy is good but he's hamming it up a little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

De Bhál wrote: »
    the panel asked what was his influence and they wanted him to mention Chuck but yeah he said 'Go Land Crabs' and that was that.

bit stupid really considering the great speech he'd done previous

You're spot on with this. He was going perfect until the panel asked their last question. You rarely see TV shows do this, Jimmy is convinced he did nothing wrong until Kim points out what he may have done. To the viewer, we know Jimmy is a spoofer, we could see through the act BUT fully thought the panel fell for his shtick.

Advertisement