Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The first few episodes of BB bored the ****e out of me.

Took a while to get going, but had to set up the story I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Am I the only one that's not overwhelmed with this?

It's alright like...

No, you're not.

I'm enjoying it sort of, but it seems to be a series in search of a story so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Picking up nicely.

Nearly spilled my coffee all over my bed with here's Johnny hahahah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Agreed it's not mind blowing, but it is in the BB universe, and very well made/acted, so for me I'm loving it. Compared to what else is on offer at the moment, i.e. The Walking Dead, this is oscar worthy compared to that razzie infested mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I think you have to forget a bit about BB when watching it to enjoy it. Just think of it as a brand new series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

s'all good man.

Didn't think this weeks episode was as strong as previous weeks. Some good parts in it, loved how he rescues your man from the advertisement. And I just love the way Mike just doesn't give a ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

It was definitely weaker than the previous 3 episodes.

Why was he so keen to hide the paper from the brother?

I presume he was trying to hide what he was up to. He didn't want him to see the advert in the background, because he would realize what he was up to in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The brother still believes in the "Hard work pays off" mantra that lucky people fall for. Saul / Jimmy doesn't need to disillusion or let down a sick man. He might be cheap but he does have a heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I loved the nod to the Orange shirt and the tie that he eventually winds up getting for the Better Call Saul ads from Breaking Bad.

I think it's setting up the series nicely. I reckon once Jimmy teams up with Mike we'll definitely see some darker stuff, but so far I'm enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Have to say I really enjoyed the latest episode. We're starting to see the character of Jimmy taking shape, all the different hustles he's pulling are key to the eventual birth of Saul. Hopefully that's the Kettleson plotline resolved as they weren't very interesting as characters. Kudos to the show for the music at the half hour mark. Love me some Brubeck :D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Best episode so far for me. It's the first episode so far that I've got engrossed in, I thought it was really interesting.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Some good parts in it, loved how he rescues your man from the advertisement.

You saw the money pass between the rescuer and the rescuee, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I wouldn't mind having access to that Salon at night time... You'd look and feel great every morning!

Nice episode for me... The Bill board was pretty funny and things are moving along nicely

I have to admit I'm looking forward to the next episode already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

was hoping to see what the consequences were for rating on that guy was before the episode was over, but he doesn't act rashly, so we'll see.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    You saw the money pass between the rescuer and the rescuee, right?

Yeah I did. It was a great plan to get the media's attention. Sort of like in the opening scene finding the wallet and rolex, I started to think he got the raw end of the deal loosing the rolex until the lad got up off the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,213 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Really enjoyed that episode, very funny. Good show so far.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Yeah I did.

Just wondered because it seemed from your other post like you thought it was a genuine rescue. Carry on. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,435 ✭✭✭squonk

A fairly humdrum episode I thought. Nice to see Saul becoming the wheeler dealer we all know and love but it was funny just how much a flare for the dramatic he has. I sensed there was something up with the billboard incident when you could clearly see the workman hanging from a sturdy harness. It didn't strike me as the sort of life or death situation Saul's actions portrayed so I wans't the slightest bit surprised to see money change hands. In a real situation it'd have been an bit of an uncomfortable wait for emergency services but that's about it.

All in all I think this was just a good 'getting from there to here' episode that finalises some of the threads from the last few episodes and sets things up for the next few. Can't say fairer than that really.

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Just wondered because it seemed from your other post like you thought it was a genuine rescue. Carry on. :pac:

I can see how you thought that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭bren2001

squonk wrote: »
    A fairly humdrum episode I thought. Nice to see Saul becoming the wheeler dealer we all know and love but it was funny just how much a flare for the dramatic he has. I sensed there was something up with the billboard incident when you could clearly see the workman hanging from a sturdy harness. It didn't strike me as the sort of life or death situation Saul's actions portrayed so I wans't the slightest bit surprised to see money change hands. In a real situation it'd have been an bit of an uncomfortable wait for emergency services but that's about it.

All in all I think this was just a good 'getting from there to here' episode that finalises some of the threads from the last few episodes and sets things up for the next few. Can't say fairer than that really.

That sums it up well. It's one of those filler episodes that is necessary to build the plot for the rest of the season. The first 3 episodes were very much about the Kettlemens and that plot. That was somewhat wrapped up at the end of the last episode so we needed to see what he did next. Not fantastic and for me the weakest of the 3.

Did anyone else feel the flashback at the beginning was not really needed and added nothing to Jimmy's character development or the plot for the episode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Was it just me or was the worker winching himself up to make it look like Jimmy was lifting him back up on to the he platform? Thought I heard a winch in the background as he was being "lifted"...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

A great opening scene to cement the legend of 'Slippery Jim'.

But when the big guy stood up behind Jimmy/Saul initially, I was very much like :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

Thought I heard a winch in the background as he was being "lifted"...

Yeah, I heard that but wasn't sure I heard it. Subtly done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,944 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

was hoping to see what the consequences were for rating on that guy was before he episode was over, but he doesn't act rashly, so we'll see.

Himself and Tuco are like night and day. Tuco is hot headed and only sees what's in front of him. Nacho is calculated and patient and sees the big picture. I would have been very surprised if he went after Jimmy straight away.

That episode was actually the first one where I thought, "What? It's over already?!". I'm surprised just how much I was engrossed in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Nacho is calculated and patient and sees the big picture. I would have been very surprised if he went after Jimmy straight away.
    I got the impression that Nacho took Jimmy's point that whoever warned the Kettlemans had done him a big favour. By the time Jimmy was finished making his speech about all the stupid mistakes Nacho had made Nacho's demeanor had changed from "I'm gonna fcuk you up, Jimmy" to a more thoughtful countenance. Looked to me that he was thinking "Hmm, I could use this guy".
    I could, of course, be wrong. :D

Btw according to the podcast the Kettleman's
    are in the series for the full 12 episodes or so says Vince Gilligan so we're not done with them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭MeheeHohee

squonk wrote: »
    In a real situation it'd have been an bit of an uncomfortable wait for emergency services but that's about it.

Not really, you can die in 15 minutes from suspension trauma, bit more than an uncomfortable wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,944 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I got the impression that Nacho took Jimmy's point that whoever warned the Kettlemans had done him a big favour. By the time Jimmy was finished making his speech about all the stupid mistakes Nacho had made Nacho's demeanor had changed from "I'm gonna fcuk you up, Jimmy" to a more thoughtful countenance. Looked to me that he was thinking "Hmm, I could use this guy".
    I could, of course, be wrong. :D

Btw according to the podcast the Kettleman's
    are in the series for the full 12 episodes or so says Vince Gilligan so we're not done with them yet.

Yeah Nacho can be reasoned with for sure. As I said, he see the bigger picture and using Jimmy is definitely a part of that bigger picture.

I found Jimmy kind of sexy during that scene when he was pointing out the mistakes! :o

Mars Bar wrote: »

That episode was actually the first one where I thought, "What? It's over already?!". I'm surprised just how much I was engrossed in it.

+1, was going to say exactly the same myself.

A big problem I had with the first three episodes was that I was impatient for them to finish almost. Not a good sign. But this one had me hooked the whole way through. Don't know how it can be considered a filler episode!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is this worth watching then do people think? I usually agree with the Boards majority...

Advertisement