Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thargor wrote: »
    Is this worth watching then do people think? I usually agree with the Boards majority...

Absolutly a must watch from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Is this worth watching then do people think? I usually agree with the Boards majority...

I'm not sure yet personally, I'm not sure if I'll see the season out. But I really enjoyed last night's episode, so now I want to see what happens in the next episode. I was certainly far more gripped by BB sooner. (as in from the first episode)

But many people loved the first episode so watch it and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Yeah definitely. I waited until this week to start, so I could watch the first few back to back. I wasn't sure I'd watch it because of how huge Breaking Bad was, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It bears to remember that most people jumped on board BB in the middle of the run. Very few people were with the show from day 1. I jumped on board about season 3. Then turned a few mates onto it.
    Breaking Bad is a bit like the GPO or U2 at the dandelion market - everyone was there at the start.
    Better Call Saul is starting from the advantage and disadvantage of huge viewership figure and high expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I did not see the latest episode yet. But the first few episodes are slow burners setting the scene etc.

It is set up for twists and turns now. Which was the beauty of BB. You didn't know which way it was going to go.

It's been OK so far but I am hoping for a good lot of new characters and the other BB characters are peripheral to them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Can someone tell me, did he get the kettlemans business or not. Was a bit confused about that part

Can someone tell me, did he get the kettlemans business or not. Was a bit confused about that part

I took it that he didn't get their business and that he took the bribe. Hence having money to do the billboard, hire the "Dude, the dude" guys (they were probably cheap though :D) and pay the guy for helping him stage the rescue.

I really hope the Kettlemans get got. Stepford Wife Kettleman - what a smug, entitled wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

No, he did not get there business. Hence why he gets his calculator out and goes through how he is going to launder the money through the law firm. Would have liked to see him bring them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

Must say I'm loving Better Call Saul so far Vince Gilligan is a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's a good character study show and Odenkirk is great in it. But, the main problem (or it could be a good thing) is that I don't have a clue where it's going, or how many episodes there will be. But, that was he same with 'Breaking Bad' and that turned into one of the best TV shows I've ever seen.

Ep 4 was the first truly great episode, though, and I hope the form can continue. It's main issue, besides the fact that it's a prequel of sorts to 'Breaking Bad', remains a lack of solid narrative at the moment, but we are only 4 episodes in.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ep 4 was the first truly great episode, though, and I hope the form can continue.

Glad somebody agrees, finally! :D

And again, the AV Club agrees with me that it's the best episode so far. I knew there was a reason I love that website. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

MeheeHohee wrote: »
    Not really, you can die in 15 minutes from suspension trauma, bit more than an uncomfortable wait!

That's honestly the first time I've heard of this condition!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

People don't know where its going?

Is it not how Saul sold his soul in order to set up his own practice as we see him at the beginning of Breaking Bad?

I mean, the symbolism slaps you in the face when you see the Salon he rents an office space in but which will eventually own.

The general direction of the show (if you really need to know and I am not sure you do because I don't think you could label it aimless) seems fairly well laid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Well, obviously people know THAT part, as it's telling a story the predates 'Breaking Bad'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

Better Call Saul is worth watching but it would be interesting to see it from the point of view as a new, unknown series.

From what I remember, Breaking Bad wasn't all that compelling early on. It was quite slow. Initially the watchability came from Jesse's stupidity and Walt's ignorance of the trade and how to actually go about makign Crystal in a volume. What BCS doesn't have right now that BB did was that opening scene with Walt in the desert in his jocks. I think early on I kind of stuck with the show just to see how things got from school teacher Walt to gun-toting, jocks sporting Walt!

If BCS was a new show I think I'd definitely still be in just to see what Slippin Jimmy is going to do next! There's kind of the same fascination as with Breaking Bad where you can see things progress, often not as you'd expect but getting deeper and deeper into the criminal world. Unfortunately while we weren't quite sure early on just how deep Walt would get, we do know in this case just how deep Saul gets and where he ends up. I'm hoping they'll expand on Saul's end in Omaha later on just to bring back a bit of that 'What's gong on' factor into the story.

squonk wrote: »
    From what I remember, Breaking Bad wasn't all that compelling early on. It was quite slow.

I was totally compelled from the start of Breaking Bad. It was slow, but I don't see why that's a bad thing? I was engrossed in each episode from episode one in BB, whereas it took until season 4 for Better Call Saul. But BCS might have just needed a bit more time to find its feet. I hope all the rest of the season stays as good as 'Hero'!

I think one thing where BB was better was having many interesting characters I wanted to see more of. Even the much-maligned Skylar was interesting. So far BCS has lacked in this a bit, and I don't find his brother interesting at all. But Kim Wexler is now shaping up to be a good character and it was good to see more of her last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Absolutely loved this episode,I hadn't warmed to it at all up til now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Great episode I thought.. as others have said, it seemed to fly by and was far from a filler I think.

I was one of those who wasn't sure about BB when I started watching it about 3 months back.. it took me till probably the 2nd season to buy into it and when Gus appeared I was hooked. BCS has a lot to live up to from the fans but I think they're doing pretty well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Glad somebody agrees, finally! :D

And again, the AV Club agrees with me that it's the best episode so far. I knew there was a reason I love that website. :pac:

I find it weird how online communities tend to agree with each other. Everyone on the AV Club is absolutely raving about this episode, and the majority on this thread (at least early in the thread) are saying it was the weakest so far.

Not making any snide point, just genuinely find that interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's absolutely by no means a "must watch", if this was a standalone show this thread probably wouldn't even exist. But it's decent enough, and it'll probably improve given who's behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I thought this episode was great and couldn't believe others weren't enjoying it all that much. Thoroughly enjoying the show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,706 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Think that some people expect Breaking Bad version 2 and this is a different type of show more they might exist in the same universe but if your expecting tension filled episodes you are going to be disappointed this is more laid back series. I really enjoyed this weeks episode. One question in Breaking Bad did Saul introduce Mike to Walter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

In Breaking Bad Mike
    first shows up to help clear up the drug overdose of Jesse's girlfriend. He was alerted to the situation by Saul iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Oh yeah.
    You woke up, you found her, that's all you know!

Mike and Saul were up there with my favourite characters from BB, so I'm delighted to see them back in this!

A Neurotic wrote: »
    I find it weird how online communities tend to agree with each other. Everyone on the AV Club is absolutely raving about this episode, and the majority on this thread (at least early in the thread) are saying it was the weakest so far.

Not making any snide point, just genuinely find that interesting.

Yeah, I've noticed that too, I often run contrary to boards.ie opinion whereas on other sites, most people will have my view. Though I was talking about the actual rating given by the article writer in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Duffff-Man wrote: »

Absolutly a must watch from me.

it's not worth watching week to week so far anyway. Is anything until it's in it's final season? true detective aside!

i'll watch next week to see & if it's the same, i'll be leaving it until it's final week to watch it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

If this was a standalone show this thread probably wouldn't even exist.

That's by no means an indication of quality.

Sure there wasn't a Breaking Bad thread here until 7 months after the Season 1 premiere, or 5 months after Season 1 finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Also, this picture is too big but someone is working on an.... interesting.... theory to this.

http://i.imgur.com/75QWaNE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Also, this picture is too big but someone is working on an.... interesting.... theory to this.

http://i.imgur.com/75QWaNE.jpg

Some people have WAY too much time on their hands! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sure there wasn't a Breaking Bad thread here until 7 months after the Season 1 premiere, or 5 months after Season 1 finished.
    Don't think that's true.. I followed it from episode 1 - 2 along with a couple of the other Television forum regulars.

Ah, here we go... all the way back in January 2008.

Advertisement