Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

sightband wrote: »
    The real test of how good Better Call Saul should be a viewer who has never seen Breaking Bad thinks it’s a great show and now wants to watch it...unless someone has been living under a rock for the last ten years I doubt you will find one but if you did I doubt they would get past 3 episodes of the first series of Better Call Saul. It’s fairly sh*t, even as a spin off unfortunately.
    You say its the real test, but then go on to explain how it would be very rare to find somebody to subject the test to.

I think it is written with the presumption you have seen BB, I would not recommend anybody to watch BCS without seeing BB first. Just like a lot of these superhero films out nowadays are far more enjoyable if you have seen plenty of the others and get all the injokes and references and backstories.

If BB never existed and BCS was written starting afresh then I expect it would have been quite different -and that a higher % of new viewers would have got past 3 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

That’s pretty much it...watchable at best. A serious cash cow that was never going to lose. How anyone couldn’t think Breaking Bad was genius and possibly the best television series ever is beyond me. Better Call Saul was always going to be a winner and the viewers were either going to be ‘it’s watchable’ because of its connection to breaking bad, or ‘it’s sheer genius’ because of its connection to breaking bad...which is exactly what we have here with a never ending roundabout of discussion on how good it is.

The real test of how good Better Call Saul should be a viewer who has never seen Breaking Bad thinks it’s a great show and now wants to watch it...unless someone has been living under a rock for the last ten years I doubt you will find one but if you did I doubt they would get past 3 episodes of the first series of Better Call Saul. It’s fairly sh*t, even as a spin off unfortunately.

Can't agree. I've really enjoyed each series - really great character driven writing and fantastic performances from the cast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

rubadub wrote: »

If BB never existed and BCS was written starting afresh then I expect it would have been quite different -and that a higher % of new viewers would have got past 3 episodes.

There’s been a lot of successful spin offs which weren’t so reliant on the original, entirely separate to them at times...google it, I did.

The way it has been written with it being so drawn out, slow and detached from Breaking Bad for so much of it I believe Gilligan wanted to do exactly that, an original show just as worthwhile and not be so heavily reliant on Breaking Bad. He seems to be a genuine artist who takes pride in his work and is not looking to cash in with Dom pay day sh*t that’ll please the audience. Who knows, but that’s the impression I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

That’s pretty much it...watchable at best. A serious cash cow that was never going to lose. How anyone couldn’t think Breaking Bad was genius and possibly the best television series ever is beyond me. Better Call Saul was always going to be a winner and the viewers were either going to be ‘it’s watchable’ because of its connection to breaking bad, or ‘it’s sheer genius’ because of its connection to breaking bad...which is exactly what we have here with a never ending roundabout of discussion on how good it is.

I work with a guy in his early 60s who’s never seen Breaking Bad but thinks BCS is the best television he’s ever seen. You’re assessment is absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

How anyone can come away with that kind of hyperbole about BB and talk down about BCS is beyond me. BB had it's weak points as well - it took me a fair while to get back into it after giving up early on in season 2. I'm not a big TV watcher and BCS is one of the very few shows that has me hooked every week.

• Advertisement

I work with a guy in his early 60s who’s never seen Breaking Bad but thinks BCS is the best television he’s ever seen. You’re assessment is absolutely awful.

Funny coincidence, I work with his twin brother who thinks it’s sh*t.

What’s your point? Early 60’s guy you work with is the critic we should all listen to thus my assessment is awful?

Not sure why people get so offended and get so pissed off with a tv show being discussed and differing opinions...you love it and early 60’s guy does too...I think it’s fairly sh*t bordering on watchable. That ok bud?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Not sure why people get so offended and get so pissed off with a tv show being discussed and differing opinions.
    Yeah, you apparently being one of them...

How anyone can come away with that kind of hyperbole about BB and talk down about BCS is beyond me. BB had it's weak points as well - it took me a fair while to get back into it after giving up early on in season 2. I'm not a big TV watcher and BCS is one of the very few shows that has me hooked every week.

What weak points did BB have exactly? So you ditched it in season 2 and it took you a fair while to get back into it after giving up early on in it so it has its weak points, yet many millions of viewers didn’t but your opinion is more worthy? See where I’m going with these posts? Differing opionions? Discussion not dismissing, try it.

What weak points did BB have exactly? So you ditched it in season 2 and it took you a fair while to get back into it after giving up early on in it so it has its weak points, yet many millions of viewers didn’t but your opinion is more worthy? See where I’m going with these posts? Differing opionions? Discussion not dismissing, try it.

It was a grand but not particularly interesting show up until the second half of season 2/start of season 3. Millions of people disagree with you on BCS so I've not idea where you're going with that point at all. I don't think my opinion is more worthy, but you certainly seem to think yours is.

You didn't make any attempt at discussion in the post I replied to, it was essentially "BB is the best thing ever, BCS is shít and people only watch it because of BB".

Funny coincidence, I work with his twin brother who thinks it’s sh*t.

What’s your point? Early 60’s guy you work with is the critic we should all listen to thus my assessment is awful?

Not sure why people get so offended and get so pissed off with a tv show being discussed and differing opinions...you love it and early 60’s guy does too...I think it’s fairly sh*t bordering on watchable. That ok bud?

I’ve a feeling BCS is too high brow for you to understand.

Bud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

I’ve a feeling BCS is too high brow for you to understand.

Bud.

Nearly choked on my tea

The internet isn’t for everyone

It was a grand but not particularly interesting show up until the second half of season 2/start of season

“Grand but not particularly interesting”...that’s it :)

I posted on here repeatedly, BCS is unnecessarily slow, I find characters to be miscast and relationships implausible, script writing poor at times and some plot holes. And that Kim has the same voice/sound box as Bert or Ernie which is enough to turn it off. That’s a bit more of a critique than grand but not particularly interesting.

I think you’ll also find there are an awful lot of BCS detractors like myself, the same can’t be said for BB.

I posted on here repeatedly, BCS is unnecessarily slow, I find characters to be miscast and relationships implausible, script writing poor at times and some plot holes. And that Kim has the same voice/sound box as Bert or Ernie which is enough to turn it off. That’s a bit more of a critique than grand but not particularly interesting.

I think you’ll also find there are an awful lot of BCS detractors like myself, the same can’t be said for BB.

I've seen "unrealistic" come up a couple of times now to describe various aspects of BCS and while I agree with the point in general, I think using it as a complaint against BCS while getting defensive over criticism of BB is bizarre. BB had some extremely unrealistic moments as well. It was also quite slow paced up until the later seasons. You're entitled to your opinion on the show but it just seems strange you'd find fault with aspects of it while not acknowledging those same aspects in BB.

I've seen "unrealistic" come up a couple of times now to describe various aspects of BCS and while I agree with the point in general, I think using it as a complaint against BCS while getting defensive over criticism of BB is bizarre. BB had some extremely unrealistic moments as well. It was also quite slow paced up until the later seasons. You're entitled to your opinion on the show but it just seems strange you'd find fault with aspects of it while not acknowledging those same aspects in BB.

This. If anything B.B. has FAR more unbelievable plot points than BCS. I’m currently re watching B.B. after just finishing season 4 of BCS and the difference between both shows is night and day. B.B. takes a lot of liberties in comparison. Having said that it doesn’t take from the show in any way.

I’m not that bothered about the unrealistic side being honest, its television, we are supposed to be drawn into some kind of escapism and entertained and unrealism is what I would want. it’s more the focus on long drawn out storylines which seem fairly irrelevant and just suddenly stop and go nowhere. The phone shop gig he had on the side was another one, long drawn out periods given to this and then it seems it was all for getting the guy who assaulted the cop off and we are supposed to be bowled over by the genius of it all. Just loads of different themes which come to a sudden halt...seems too obvious it’s being made up as it’s going along.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The phone shop storyline was much more than just getting the fella off hitting the cop, it made him realise where his future was in regard to the law

The internet isn’t for everyone

I’m not that bothered about the unrealistic side being honest, its television, we are supposed to be drawn into some kind of escapism and entertained and unrealism is what I would want. it’s more the focus on long drawn out storylines which seem fairly irrelevant and just suddenly stop and go nowhere. The phone shop gig he had on the side was another one, long drawn out periods given to this and then it seems it was all for getting the guy who assaulted the cop off and we are supposed to be bowled over by the genius of it all. Just loads of different themes which come to a sudden halt...seems too obvious it’s being made up as it’s going along.

My god. Ok, just as suspected. You don’t understand the show at all. What about hanks obsession with collecting rocks or Marie’s kleptomania in B.B. God theses stories went nowhere too. You really don’t understand do you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Melodeon

My god. Ok, just as suspected. You don’t understand the show at all. What about hanks obsession with collecting rocks or Marie’s kleptomania in B.B. God theses stories went nowhere too. You really don’t understand do you.

They were MINERALS! :mad:

Melodeon wrote: »
    They were MINERALS! :mad:

Jesus Christ Marie.

Give it a rest eh? I’m not bothering...I’ll save you the next one.

“You just don’t get it mannnnnnnn”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

It is the first Tuesday without BCS. I am in mourning. That is all.

FFred wrote: »

I can tell you how it all ends if you want? I’ve insider information that Saul becomes the sleaze ball laywer we all think he will now become.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

FFred wrote: »

We're watching BB from the beginning here :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Why are you watching it?

Go do something else. Is your life really that empty that you have to sink hours into a show you don't like?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

We're watching BB from the beginning here :o

Enjoy you're in for a treat!

Must watch it back again myself.

Good intentions but never get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

seligehgit wrote: »
    Must watch it back again myself.

Good intentions but never get around to it.
    IMHO Breaking Bad isn't a show that is very re-watchable.
    When it was on I recall impatiently waiting for the next episode but that's partly because Gilligan and co were very good at ratcheting up the tension towards the end of the season leaving you wondering how Walt and Jessie were going to get out of whatever tight spot they wound up in.
    The build up to that was often slow enough - BCS didn't lick of off the stones.

However once you know what's going to happen then a re-watch doesn't really have a whole lot going for it. And that, to me, is why BB doesn't really merit the "best TV ever" accolade that many bestow upon it.

The likes of The Sopranos and The Wire reward a re-watch. Breaking Bad - not so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,551 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mod: this is a friendly reminder to keep things civil: I would wonder myself about watching a show not enjoyed (anymore), but it's possible to have that debate without getting unfriendly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

DeepBlue wrote: »
    When it was on I recall impatiently waiting for the next episode but that's partly because Gilligan and co were very good at ratcheting up the tension towards the end of the season leaving you wondering how Walt and Jessie were going to get out of whatever tight spot they wound up in.

However once you know what's going to happen then a re-watch doesn't really have a whole lot going for it. And that, to me, is why BB doesn't really merit the "best TV ever" accolade that many bestow upon it.

The likes of The Sopranos and The Wire reward a re-watch. Breaking Bad - not so much.

Well seeing the opening episode again last night was well worth a watch. Tbh we weren't ready to watch it again, but now BCS has more or less caught up, we're giving it another go. We enjoyed revisiting the scenes where Hank is boasting about is DEA work and the kid in class is giving Walt grief, now we know what happens.
    So far a whole new dimension has been opened for us in relation to it and for me it absolutely cements it as the best TV programme, imo of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

DeepBlue wrote: »

I've watched the entire series all the way through 7 times now, I cannot get enough of it. Everything about it is perfect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I think the problem I have with this season is that I never really liked Sol that much as a character/person in breaking bad. He was very one dimensional, let's screw the system etc etc...

Jimmy however had substance as a character. We saw his battle to become qualified and make something of himself given his past. I for one grew to like him and while the last scene where he essentially became Sol was unbelievable I would prefer if they left it there.

Advertisement