Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Honestly I'd watch an entire episode of Lalo wandering around repeating "Werner Ziegler" over and over and over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I'm now going to go back and try to figure out why Lalo keeps referring to "the south wall" , if I heard it correctly.

That is what poor auld Werner told Lalo, when Lalo rang him up (while lalo was on his holliers) and Lalo pretended to be working for 'Michael'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

That is what poor auld Werner told Lalo, when Lalo rang him up (while lalo was on his holliers) and Lalo pretended to be working for 'Michael'.

Its a very small detail, so its obviously going to become something - that's how this series works, to give you those "aha!" moments.

In BB I recall only the one reference to Lalo, DON'T READ THE SPOILER IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH BB
    which suggested he was still alive and a threat. So that further suggests that Gus doesn't do away with him.
    But we also know that the cartel protected Gus from the Salamancas, even insulting them when Don Elladio said he wanted the Salamancas contributions to be nicely packaged - the way Gus does them!

I'm saying this, because I see Lalo as a disruption that has to be removed/neutralised/satisfied to allow business to continue smoothly, and wonder how they're going to achieve this.

Honestly I'd watch an entire episode of Lalo wandering around repeating "Werner Ziegler" over and over and over :pac:

Yeah, he does 'menacing' very well, doesn't he.

That's where Krazy 8 got his name.

Lalo gave it to him, for folding on 3 8's in that hand.
    Well fair play to you for spotting that!!!

I just went back and watched that scene and switched on subtitles.
    "ocho loco this guy!"

Now THAT's the kind of detail that makes it what it is, and is so easy (for me, anyway) to miss.

I'm now going to go back and try to figure out why Lalo keeps referring to "the south wall" , if I heard it correctly.

Good job this thread exists:pac::pac:
    Its a very small detail, so its obviously going to become something - that's how this series works, to give you those "aha!" moments.

In BB I recall only the one reference to Lalo, DON'T READ THE SPOILER IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH BB
    which suggested he was still alive and a threat. So that further suggests that Gus doesn't do away with him.
    But we also know that the cartel protected Gus from the Salamancas, even insulting them when Don Elladio said he wanted the Salamancas contributions to be nicely packaged - the way Gus does them!

I'm saying this, because I see Lalo as a disruption that has to be removed/neutralised/satisfied to allow business to continue smoothly, and wonder how they're going to achieve this.

I didn't twig the thing with the cards at all did not pay attention 'in class' just assumed he had a good hand.
    The show is incredible the way it ties in all the storylines so neatly and the producers obviously go through BB episodes and past BCS episodes with a fine toothcomb. It is the completely opposite to the way soaps are written where characters change dramatically and there is massive plotholes.

I watched a review of the last episode and ties in past statements and events from BB and BCS. Obviously spoilers if you did not see BB. He repeats of the statements and reinforces the characters contradictions/issues/events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Grayditch wrote: »
    He was upset about Kaylee talking about her dad, but if you watch the scene again, his anger is very manufactured, like he's trying to distance himself from them for some reason.
    I thought the same, and was thinking the reason was that he knew he is in deep with people and would not want them going after her if somebody wants to get at him.

The only thing I did not like in the 2 episodes were the 2 idiots with the 50% off montage thing. It was a like a poor man's version of skinny pete & badger, I usually love the comedy bits like that, but it was just done very poorly. It was like some sort of crap remake, like when they made a US inbetweeners and it was horrendous.

-50% off
    -dude, that's almost half.

it was like beavis & butthead or something.

Another stupid thing was the drainpipe, you could have just thrown down a few stones to get the bags free from whatever they were snagged on.

I wondered if Lalo was later suspicous about Nacho risking so much for what looked like just a few bags, I thought he was going to retrieve a big brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Unless Saul only thinks Lalo is still out there and a threat, but that really Gus managed to get rid of him and no-one suspects Gus for it. Gus tells Hector that all the Salamancas are dead. My current theory is that he'll end up buried under the South Wall, never to be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

rubadub wrote: »
    I wondered if Lalo was later suspicous about Nacho risking so much for what looked like just a few bags, I thought he was going to retrieve a big brick.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure he'll never trust him and I can see Nacho being the one who does him in but maybe that's too obvious.

I also didn't think the montage was great. It fell a bit flat.

FRom gormdubhgorm's video above.

I'm quoting one line only - in isolation its harmless so no need for spoiler.

"it wasn't me it was Ignatio".

Now with the attention to detail so evident throughout these series and the lack of continuity errors, I think we're in for a thriller.

@rubadub. Yeah it was a bit like filler, although it probably just shows what morons Saul is now targeting, easy money, easily convinced of his bonafides. I agree it was a trifle over the top.

Penn wrote: »
    Unless Saul only thinks Lalo is still out there and a threat, but that really Gus managed to get rid of him and no-one suspects Gus for it. Gus tells Hector that all the Salamancas are dead. My current theory is that he'll end up buried under the South Wall, never to be seen again.

Now THAT is a real teaser. Tie that to my one liner about the review, it really points to dramatic outcomes in the next couple of episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sat down to watch the first couple new episodes last night, the recap played and I couldn't remember a thing. Must watch season 4 again, 2 years is a big gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

rob316 wrote: »
    Sat down to watch the first couple new episodes last night, the recap played and I couldn't remember a thing. Must watch season 4 again, 2 years is a big gap.

Same boat. I was lost! I was meant to start again at season one but didn’t get the time. I might cram it all in starting tonight and pick this up again after a few episodes. Best tv since BB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

5.01...television can't be this good, surely? Suitably juicy teaser.

Jimmy's descent continues, with his mustard shirts. I really felt for Kim in this one, you could practically see her stomach revolt at the end and the lighting in the stairwell scene was quite telling, imo. Game Boy in the mix there and lovely to see Robert Forster again too.

5.02 - An empty house, dead relationship? It feels like watching slow train wreck. Not without a splash of humour, mind. Jimmy's sales pitch ain't just on the street and feels like it's sitting on a house of cards. When is he not scamming? The two lads, how shall we say, Badger and Skinny Pete's genetic leftovers. Not long until we see our DEA brethren. Lalo's been mentioned plenty here, certainly interesting when he's eyeballing you mid-eating! Consider confidence gained. This and Mike's GTFO showed how communication was littered throughout. Krazy 8 and the poker situation was, as mentioned, a reminder of his predicament in BB. Pipe fixing, indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Did anyone else catch a glimpse of the back of Hank Schrader's head during the raid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

No - but I know from a season trailer that he will turn up eventually

Did anyone else catch a glimpse of the back of Hank Schrader's head during the raid?
    He would more than likely have appearred in the credits if he was in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Man_(Better_Call_Saul)
    Production
    The episode was dedicated to Robert Forster, who played Ed, the disappearer from Breaking Bad and who reprised his role in this episode, as well as in the film El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie prior to his death in October 2019.[1] According to showrunner Peter Gould, who had written and directed Forster's prior appearance on Breaking Bad in "Granite State", he had wanted to bring Forster's character into Better Call Saul for some time but could not figure out a way to do so. As his writing team found a way to do so within the fifth season premiere, he learned that about the same time Vince Gilligan also had written in the character for El Camino.[2] Originally, Forster's role in script was a vocal cameo only, given the cost of rebuilding the vacuum shop set. According to Gould, producer Melissa Bernstein recognized they would be shooting the vacuum shop as part of El Camino, and thus arranged for Gilligan to film the Better Call Saul scene concurrently, as Gould was busy in Los Angeles at the time, months before any other Better Call Saul scenes were to be filmed. Gilligan's production role was uncredited in the episode.[1][2] In addition to dedicating the episode to Forster, Gould invited several of Forster's family and friends to the screening of the premiere.[2]

The episode was directed by Bronwen Hughes, who had directed the 2008 Breaking Bad episode "Crazy Handful of Nothin'".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thought it was him at first, but realized it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Remember in Breaking Bad Jesse was saying the cops had Crazy8 "dead to rights" ... and Saul got him off!!!

Love the way the shows connect..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Penfailed

tjdaly wrote: »
    Marvelous show. Excellent performance by Rhea Seehorn. I actually asked my ex to style herself after Kim Wexler.

You...did what?!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    You...did what?!

I can’t have been the only one who thought that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

THAT SECOND EPISODE WAS GREAT...

Penfailed wrote: »
    You...did what?!
    I was wondering if that's the reason she is now an ex...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

No risk, no reward :pac:

THAT SECOND EPISODE WAS GREAT...

SURE WAS!

Remember in Breaking Bad Jesse was saying the cops had Crazy8 "dead to rights" ... and Saul got him off!!!

Love the way the shows connect..

I found this good general review of why BCS works so well following BB. Spoliers obviously if anyone had not seen BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

I found this good general review of why BCS works so well following BB. Spoliers obviously if anyone had not seen BB.

I love BCS but I think that video just shows how indebted it is to the storytelling of BB. I wonder would we be so compelled by Jimmys journey if we didn't know how it would end. In that way I think BCS had a lot of the hard work done for it - we know the world, we know what will happen, we know what the villains are capable of.

I do love the writing on the show, and I like the examples used in the video but as always I wonder what someone watching BCS without watching BB would think - would they be so impressed? The abiding thought i had after watching that video was how good BB was, not how good the writing in BCS is.

steve_r wrote: »
    I wonder what someone watching BCS without watching BB would think - would they be so impressed? The abiding thought i had after watching that video was how good BB was, not how good the writing in BCS is.

I suppose we will get the answer more often in years to come as more people watch BCS before they watch BB.
    But thier viewing experience will be a lot different as they will be able to binge watch them.

This video also popped up on you tube. Odenkirk discusses how he took the role with BCS. Also how the spin off idea happened. Some BB spoilers in it.
    But the real interesting bit for me is that he was inadvertently responsible for the invention of the character of Mike!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Thank God for Lalo! He injected some much needed energy into the show, when it was getting very boring. The only people I am interested in now are Nacho and Kim, and even Howard. I used to love Jimmy and Mike but don't care about them now: their fates are sealed, and now we are just watching them shed the people that tethered them to morality. I really don't like Gus either; I don't find him a particularly interesting character, and I don't get people raving about him. He's got the charisma of a turd.

First two episodes of this season were very good, and I'm hoping it continues. That "50% off" montage with the two junkies was embarrassingly awful, so hopefully there won't be too many moments like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Thank God for Lalo! He injected some much needed energy into the show, when it was getting very boring. The only people I am interested in now are Nacho and Kim, and even Howard. I used to love Jimmy and Mike but don't care about them now: their fates are sealed, and now we are just watching them shed the people that tethered them to morality. I really don't like Gus either; I don't find him a particularly interesting character, and I don't get people raving about him. He's got the charisma of a turd.

First two episodes of this season were very good, and I'm hoping it continues. That "50% off" montage with the two junkies was embarrassingly awful, so hopefully there won't be too many moments like that!

Gus is one of the most interesting characters in the show. Both in BB and BCS.

Advertisement