Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Remember in Breaking Bad Jesse was saying the cops had Crazy8 "dead to rights" ... and Saul got him off!!!

Love the way the shows connect..

I'm an idiot I was watching the latest episode and I was like I know this guy he's familiar I never copped it was crazy8 until they were lalo and nacho were talking about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Thank God for Lalo! He injected some much needed energy into the show, when it was getting very boring. The only people I am interested in now are Nacho and Kim, and even Howard. I used to love Jimmy and Mike but don't care about them now: their fates are sealed, and now we are just watching them shed the people that tethered them to morality. I really don't like Gus either; I don't find him a particularly interesting character, and I don't get people raving about him. He's got the charisma of a turd.

First two episodes of this season were very good, and I'm hoping it continues. That "50% off" montage with the two junkies was embarrassingly awful, so hopefully there won't be too many moments like that!

Wrong wrong wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

Gus is one of the most interesting characters in the show. Both in BB and BCS.

Every moment with Gus is well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Wrong wrong wrong.

Please tell me the correct opinion to have, oh wise one! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Please tell me the correct opinion to have, oh wise one! :P

Hey Art, if you're ever stuck for an opinion, just ask yourself "what would Nick say?" :pac::pac::pac::pac:

I think Gus is an interesting character, simply because despite his cold calculating persona, we can never be fully certain of how he'll respond to things. Remember we all (as in "I" ) thought Pinkman was a goner, and then Gus started grooming him.

So now, how will Gus respond to Mike's walk-out and Lalo's pushiness? these make for edge of seat stuff (well Lalo anyway) I'm also hoping to learn more about Gus's past - though that's probably not going to happen.

And, heresy of heresies! how can you NOT care what happens to Jimmy. Don't you even hope for his ultimate redemption and happiness???? (I'm getting WAYYYY too involved , aren't I:D). If anything happens to Jimmy, BB Alert :
    I'll be even more gutted than I was over Hank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

only part agree on with the junkie scene was horrible, nice ride thou, but the wreckage was horrible watching.

Gus is interesting person - given theres little back story on him, besides knowing that his partner was killed by cartel or more like salamanca himself, his role is important as he did make most of the BB part that more massive.

As seems Lydia lacks back story as well, as we all know mike has a grind with her in BB series, but she's also Czech or German connect on massive scale so that puts good episode or two in.

Mike losing it with his granddaughter - which btw think only screw up that couldn't be fixed from BB series as kid should be only couple years old at best, but ignoring that - the questions she thrown at mike about his Son and being cop shows he was at fault and still blames himself thus the guilt cash thrown at the family.

So way i see it as in BB series when mike goes back to Gus every pick and vet will be done by him as there wouldn't be any more end losses when it comes to expanding business to kill people and ensuring everyone are only chosen by him for whatever work.

and nacho being dragged out part was really well played with all the tension, but for me Lalo seems a bit lose of character then again, we know all the salamcancas act the same.

now fingers crossed that this hard start for new season wont go into limp mode, as while loved the longer pass on the future of saul, seems his move to deal with it, somehow reminds me of how jessie messed up many times taking things into his own hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

ep3 on Netflix IE now ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What an opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just finished watching S5 E3 'The guy for this'. It was one of the most enjoyable of the whole series so far for me. After the one where Chuck made his rant in court.
    I recommend watching the episodes 2 and 3 of season 1 before you watch 'the guy for this'. Entitled 'Mijo' and 'Nacho' respectively. Fast forward to the Tuco/Nacho/Saul bits. It gives a real reminder and flavour for this latest episode.

I thought it was so layered and subtle there was no real filler in it (bar the symbolism of the ice-cream / innocence shattered).
    The bits where Saul was thinking of money despite the danger, the heartbreaking scenes of Nacho/his father. The scenes of Kim trying to do the 'right thing' while trying to follow the law on the side of big business. The clever way that Fring gave up the money to have an insider Nacho, and a CI to feed false info to. Mike's inner turmoil - what did the postcard mean?

And of course Hank made an appearance! Discussing expired food.
    The whole thing felt more like a feature film rather than a TV series. Really well done all-round.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Best episode in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

Worth investing the time in 1-4 seasons, picking up nicely now. Welcome back Hank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what a waste of beer

Another great episode. Nothing much to add except Lalo reminds me of a young Mexican Burt Reynolds, and Jimmy could play Homer Simpson!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

That was so so good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I feel the writing has improved this year. My biggest complaint with the show has revolved around the crutch of “what are they up to” suspense. It’s a cheap trick that’s absent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Strong episode, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mike's inner turmoil - what did the postcard mean?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guy_for_This
    Mike gets drunk at a bar, and demands the barkeep take down a postcard of the Sydney Opera House, which Werner's father had worked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

what did the postcard mean?

Werner had pointed it out to him while they were drinking together and said that his father had been a builder on the Sydney Opera House, which it featured.

Just watched episode 3.

What a fücking show.

rubadub wrote: »
    Werner had pointed it out to him while they were drinking together and said that his father had been a builder on the Sydney Opera House, which it featured.

Ah Jayus that is great. I had completely forgotten that bit. The level of detail they go to!

• Advertisement

I only rewatched season 4 last week and didn't cop that. Excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Great stuff from Kim last night - I feel she's about to blow big time.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Great stuff from Kim last night - I feel she's about to blow big time.

I’m kinda slow. I don’t know what’s going on with Kim fully... I don’t understand why we saw the negotiation with that land owner and then later why she went back.

I don’t get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I’m kinda slow. I don’t know what’s going on with Kim fully... I don’t understand why we saw the negotiation with that land owner and then later why she went back.

I don’t get it.

To me it shows she's not in the right job for starters. Hates the fact she represents a large bank. She tried to go back and help the man out as that's what she's good at...helping the helpless.

Top that off with her relationship to Jimmy, a man she doesn't recognise anymore and it all leads to stress building up.

I'm hoping it works out for her but it's TV so I'd imagine it'll be bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

De Bhál wrote: »
    To me it shows she's not in the right job for starters. Hates the fact she represents a large bank. She tried to go back and help the man out as that's what she's good at...helping the helpless.

Top that off with her relationship to Jimmy, a man she doesn't recognise anymore and it all leads to stress building up.

I'm hoping it works out for her but it's TV so I'd imagine it'll be bad

..while also proving him right when he made that dig about her being the kind of person who feels that making a regular charity donation balances out the bad.

She doesn't like the Mesa Verde work, but it pays the bills and she is good at it when she gives it her focus. She can't delegate the pro bono work and seems to be repeating her previous mistake of over-extending herself.

Loved that bit
    where Krazy-8, Hank and Steve thrash out a working relationship.
    A bad deal for all concerned.

This season and the last are the payoff for the BB fans, we are edging closer and closer to the BB time line. Don't get me wrong I loved the first 3 seasons and how it delves into the story of Jimmy McGill becoming Saul Goodman and its a really well and smartly written show but its damn exciting at the moment.

rob316 wrote: »
    This season and the last are the payoff for the BB fans, we are edging closer and closer to the BB time line. Don't get me wrong I loved the first 3 seasons and how it delves into the story of Jimmy McGill becoming Saul Goodman and its a really well and smartly written show but its damn exciting at the moment.

I still find it strange how many people who lost BB as their favorite show ever but still refuse to watch this or in some cases don’t even realise it’s a thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

10/10
    Was the bottle on the balcony a metaphor for Kim's precarious state of mind

I still find it strange how many people who lost BB as their favorite show ever but still refuse to watch this or in some cases don’t even realise it’s a thing!

I suppose they could start at Season 5 it will will be basically the BB prequel without all the 'unnecessary' background leading up to it.

You could really cut it down ignore the kim/chuck/Mike's son stuff and only look at the Mijo and Nacho episodes. Also look at the first episode with Werner and the last episode with Werner.

It would be like playing 9 holes of golf on one day while the serious golfers play 18 holes on four separate days.

• Advertisement

I think the bottle on the balcony thing was showing Jimmy is naturally reckless without even knowing it. Kim will always feel complelled to clean up after him because that is how she is. But then she chooses to be reckless throwing bottles off the balcony because of her frustration working for Mesa Verde. This was her way to vent, but down the line I think I can see her becoming a public defender and walking away from Jimmy's recklessness altogether. I cried at the scene where Kim was showing the old guy houses. She is a good person still trying to find her way in life, and even if the guy is an old bollocks, it was decent of her to try.

Nacho is between a rock and a hard place. He can't run because his dad will get killed. I can't see it ending well for him.

Advertisement