Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I think the bottle on the balcony thing was showing Jimmy is naturally reckless without even knowing it. Kim will always feel complelled to clean up after him because that is how she is. But then she chooses to be reckless throwing bottles off the balcony because of her frustration working for Mesa Verde. This was her way to vent, but down the line I think I can see her becoming a public defender and walking away from Jimmy's recklessness altogether. I cried at the scene where Kim was showing the old guy houses. She is a good person still trying to find her way in life, and even if the guy is an old bollocks, it was decent of her to try.

Nacho is between a rock and a hard place. He can't run because his dad will get killed. I can't see it ending well for him.

She is a good person..but she is really conflicted. She is trying to help "old guy" by showing him houses and offering to help him to move. But it's not like this is completely altruistic on her part. He represents a problem that she wants to go away and work that she wants to be able to defer.

I agree with your bottle reading. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I cried at the scene where Kim was showing the old guy houses..
    I was cringing at the story of the toes going blue, reminded me of the monty python sketch.

tumblr_n8d3lcKKZP1s54troo10_250.gifv

tumblr_n8d3lcKKZP1s54troo3_250.gifv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

I think the bottle on the balcony thing was showing Jimmy is naturally reckless without even knowing it. Kim will always feel complelled to clean up after him because that is how she is. But then she chooses to be reckless throwing bottles off the balcony because of her frustration working for Mesa Verde. This was her way to vent, but down the line I think I can see her becoming a public defender and walking away from Jimmy's recklessness altogether. I cried at the scene where Kim was showing the old guy houses. She is a good person still trying to find her way in life, and even if the guy is an old bollocks, it was decent of her to try.

Nacho is between a rock and a hard place. He can't run because his dad will get killed. I can't see it ending well for him.

Ok, I had it paused at the last minute , only just seen the bottle throwing sequence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I still find it strange how many people who lost BB as their favorite show ever but still refuse to watch this or in some cases don’t even realise it’s a thing!

I know I was talking to my brother earlier saying great episode of BCS and he was like I never watched it. He was the one who got me into BB like!
    I think some just think its before BB and all about Saul, they are surprised when I tell them its about Gus, Mike, during, before and after BB.

I absolutely love how the 2 shows are knitting together now, little things like Jessie telling walt me need to go to Saul Goodman as he got Crazy8 off and now we are in that storyline.

If you want to make a prequel off a show this is it and it'll never be beaten, I'm enjoying this as much as BB now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

rob316 wrote: »
    I know I was talking to my brother earlier saying great episode of BCS and he was like I never watched it. He was the one who got me into BB like!
    I think some just think its before BB and all about Saul, they are surprised when I tell them its about Gus, Mike, during, before and after BB.

I absolutely love how the 2 shows are knitting together now, little things like Jessie telling walt me need to go to Saul Goodman as he got Crazy8 off and now we are in that storyline.

If you want to make a prequel off a show this is it and it'll never be beaten, I'm enjoying this as much as BB now.
    I think I might the whole lot of both shows again !
    By god BCD is building nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I hope they eventually wrap up the prequel and then shoot forward to future Jimmy for a few full episodes, rather than just giving us glimpses at his life. It would take some balls to do that, and I'm hoping they have them! It could transition from the black and while into colour then. We could even have Kim/Howard/any remaining BCS or BB characters popping up in future Jimmy's life. Maybe he turns himself in, Kim is working as a public defender, and she represents him. He gets a lot of jail time, but their friendly relationship is restored, and that means more to Jimmy than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Kim's part was amazing - for some reason when she lashed out at the guy to obey the law like the rest, i thought that it would transfer towards hate for Jimmy- as hes been playing outside boundaries a good while now and she well knows it, but the ending seemed like two bonded in some strange way.

then again sydney opera was wtf moment until someone pointed it out, the way writers go into detail is on another level, how in depth everything is compiled, no wonder takes forever to develop each season never-mind episodes going forward.

km79 wrote: »
    By god BCD is building nicely

Is he doing an extension or what?

18813448_302259336900052_1081067982601518923_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_sid=85a577&_nc_ohc=9Racww3s_n0AX_hsm6O&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=e152f2a3b9d2ba0c34216f427c0c9d4d&oe=5E824629

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Definitely thought Kim was gonna crash again TV karma she's just too straight arrow plus she's Jimmy's only anchor keeping him from going full Saul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

two bits I really loved:
    1. Jimmy looking at the icecream he dropped for getting into the Car with Nacho. I think it's a metaphor for him letting his law career get dragged into the gutter. When he walks away, he is walking in the shade, while others are walking in the light.
    2. The old guy saying to Kim "You'll say what ever you need to get your way". I think she was taken aback by that. It's something we expect people to say to Jimmy, but not Kim. It's not something Kim thinks of herself, but her tactics (strongarm first, then tell her own story, then try and source alternative locations), are something Jimmy would do. Even though they are well meaning, ultimately its for Kim to get her way. I think that comment rattled her, its made her question who she is, and how she does things. Playing the bottle scene out in silence was great also, its trusting the actors and the direction to tell the story, without relying on dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Was Kim's story about having to move from house to house true? I thought it was initially but now I wonder if she was pulling a Saul move and the old man had her bang to rights when he said she would say anything to get what she wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

HHM paid for her tuition fees so it might true she started in the mailroom with Jimmy so she didn't come from money

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Gus is one of the most interesting characters in the show. Both in BB and BCS.

Love Gus as a character. Especially the juxtaposition between him playing the community & charity focused business leader and the polite attentive waiter in Los Pollos Hermanos all the while he is hiding in plain sight and running a meth empire. I love that Gus' whole public persona is an act in itself to give him cover for whats really going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

steve_r wrote: »
    two bits I really loved:
    [*]Jimmy looking at the icecream he dropped for getting into the Car with Nacho. I think it's a metaphor for him letting his law career get dragged into the gutter. When he walks away, he is walking in the shade, while others are walking in the light.

My opinion below, apologies if this is obvious stuff.

I think he's happy with his career choice. For me him eating the ice cream represented an almost child like glee with how well things were going for him. He embraced the fact he was able to use his charisma, wit and borderline fraudulent tactics to bring in hundreds of potential clients and do it all in a "legal" manner, met up until that point, with no resistance. Too good to be true, almost.

The ants represent that when something good is there for the taking, it isn't long until leeches show up and want a piece of the pie/icecream, in the literal sense Saul. Initially it's only one or two ants, but eventually it will absorb him. His main weakness is that he isn't a tough guy and doesn't have a crew so for a mob like those latinos he's easy pickings and he/they know it. It takes as little effort for them to mess with him as it does the ants to swarm that sweet sweet unguarded sugar.

The shot of the once pristine icecream being totally covered in ants is symbolic of Saul's state of mind before entering the car vs the reality of his bad career decisions and talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

rob316 wrote: »
    This season and the last are the payoff for the BB fans, we are edging closer and closer to the BB time line. Don't get me wrong I loved the first 3 seasons and how it delves into the story of Jimmy McGill becoming Saul Goodman and its a really well and smartly written show but its damn exciting at the moment.

I never watched BB and I thought the last season of BCS was a let down in comparison to its predecessors so will be interesting to see how this season pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Bambi wrote: »
    I never watched BB and I thought the last season of BCS was a let down in comparison to its predecessors so will be interesting to see how this season pans out.

not sure how well BCS would work as a stand alone for someone who has never seen BB ???

I gave up on BB after trying multiple times to watch it: hated it. Thought it was super over-rated, and a bit dumb and obvious to be honest. I disliked Walt and his family, Jesse, Hank etc from the get-go, even the look of BB I found unappealing, so I was very surprised that I loved BCS (apart from season 4, which dragged). The less I see of characters from BB, the happier I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I gave up on BB after trying multiple times to watch it: hated it. Thought it was super over-rated, and a bit dumb and obvious to be honest. I disliked Walt and his family, Jesse, Hank etc from the get-go, even the look of BB I found unappealing, so I was very surprised that I loved BCS (apart from season 4, which dragged). The less I see of characters from BB, the happier I am.

See thats the difference with BB bad fans, I thought season 4 was the best so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Was Kim's story about having to move from house to house true? I thought it was initially but now I wonder if she was pulling a Saul move and the old man had her bang to rights when he said she would say anything to get what she wants.

That's what I thought too. She went down the "there are laws" route and got nowhere so decides to go back and try the saul route (and gets nowhere). Obviously the old man saw right through it "you will say anything wont you".
    it was a pure fabricated story imo - my feet turned blue... come on!!

guess thats why she was depressed going home to jimmy - both routes she tried didnt work so whats the point!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Wouldn't it be funny if Hank told Gomez that he's going to his sister in law's house and will have to put up with her nerdy meek husband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ok to be fair you’re not wrong! I’m a self confessed BB/BCS superfan and I totally understand where you’re coming from. The first season and quite a bit of the second are very dark, very gloomy, almost depressing. I gave up on it after maybe 10 episodes when it first came out. I was convinced to start it again and stick with it and I’m glad I did. It’s a masterpiece. The whole thing, start to finish. I’ve rewatched it multiple times now. You should 100% give it another shot.

Also season 4 of BCS is my fav so far. But I find they’re getting better season on season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

rubadub wrote: »
    Is he doing an extension or what?

Finishing off the South Wall.

Ok to be fair you’re not wrong! I’m a self confessed BB/BCS superfan and I totally understand where you’re coming from. The first season and quite a bit of the second are very dark, very gloomy, almost depressing. I gave up on it after maybe 10 episodes when it first came out. I was convinced to start it again and stick with it and I’m glad I did. It’s a masterpiece. The whole thing, start to finish. I’ve rewatched it multiple times now. You should 100% give it another shot.

Also season 4 of BCS is my fav so far. But I find they’re getting better season on season.

I gave up near the end of season 2 of BB. I just don't like the characters and I decided that I had given it a fair crack of the whip. It's funny, my fav shows are the Sopranos and the Wire, and I thought I would be a BB fan, but the characters in those shows were a lot more appealing to me. I even prefer Ozark which is kinda similar ti BB: the first season of that had me hooked straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I gave up near the end of season 2 of BB. I just don't like the characters and I decided that I had given it a fair crack of the whip. It's funny, my fav shows are the Sopranos and the Wire, and I thought I would be a BB fan, but the characters in those shows were a lot more appealing to me. I even prefer Ozark which is kinda similar ti BB: the first season of that had me hooked straight away.

Jaysus. We’ll have to agree to disagree there. Ozark is a dirt show.

Jaysus. We’ll have to agree to disagree there. Ozark is a dirt show.

I thought the first 7 episodes of Ozark were very good, but it's been downhill since. My goodwill for this show is running out :pac:

I gave up on BB after trying multiple times to watch it: hated it.
    Why did you watch it mulitple times? I hear this quite a bit, esp. with BB.

I hated Downton Abbey, Antiques Roadshow, Dancing on Ice, Vicar of Dibley. I never once felt compelled or interested whatsoever in forcing myself to sit through loads of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

To be fair with BB I also tried and failed multiple times before finding a groove. It was the insistence from others that it was a must watch that drove me to keep trying. And genre wise it was on paper right up my alley, whereas something like Dancing on Ice or whatever, wouldn't be my cup of tea no matter what accolades it was getting.

By the end, it was a tremendous TV show, but the first season or two I found to be very average. With hindsight, they're far better, but at the time, they really didn't stand out of the crowd for me either. And that's coming from someone who considers BB one of the best TV shows ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

rubadub wrote: »
    Why did you watch it mulitple times? I hear this quite a bit, esp. with BB.

I hated Downton Abbey, Antiques Roadshow, Dancing on Ice, Vicar of Dibley. I never once felt compelled or interested whatsoever in forcing myself to sit through loads of them!
    Fourth highest rated show on IMDB. Highest rated individual episode on IMDB. Most people really like it. Reasonable to give it another go.

I thought Archer was terrible when I watched the first episode or two. Tried it again and soon thought it was great.

You probably have no reason to think you'd like Downton Abbey or Dancing on Ice on the other hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Homelander wrote: »
    To be fair with BB I also tried and failed multiple times before finding a groove. It was the insistence from others that it was a must watch that drove me to keep trying. And genre wise it was on paper right up my alley, whereas something like Dancing on Ice or whatever, wouldn't be my cup of tea no matter what accolades it was getting.

By the end, it was a tremendous TV show, but the first season or two I found to be very average. With hindsight, they're far better, but at the time, they really didn't stand out of the crowd for me either. And that's coming from someone who considers BB one of the best TV shows ever.

I'd say I tried watching the first episode of BB 3 or 4 times before I actually got to episode 2.

The
    birthday bed scene
    I found super cringe. Walt's family is also the focus for a lot of the starting stuff, and I honestly didn't find them that interesting at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The first season of BB is a bit slow moving. When I watched the entire series back the second time out I ending up just going to season two right off the bat as I didnt want to sit through lots of season 1 episodes that were mainly character development. Season 2 was great but it was season 3 where it really took off for me, that was a proper rollercoaster.

Advertisement