Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

BB had me from the word go. I adore the first episode, it tells you exactly what you need to know and sets all of your emotions up for the rollercoaster that’s about to come. Bryan Cranston and Vince Gilligan were a match made in heaven: he’s one of the few actors who could pull you into the interactive element of having to think with him and go on the journey of making decisions that made the show what it was. Bob Odenkirk is excellent at that too. I totally get how people would feel if they heard the pitch and went in expecting Narcos from the get-go, but I’m a stickler for slow character development with attention-to-detail that makes you feel like you’ve earned the big action pieces.

I can’t and don’t want to choose between the two because I see them all as one show. As far as I’m concerned, I’m watching Breaking Bad season 10 and happy with that, and that’s about as high a praise as I can give BCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I loved Breaking Bad as this was the dad from Malcolm in the Middle playing a bad guy it was so uncharacteristic for Hal he was shocking when he got angry and the character development as the show went on exposed the viewer to how good an actor Bryan Cranston really is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Definitely thought Kim was gonna crash again TV karma she's just too straight arrow plus she's Jimmy's only anchor keeping him from going full Saul

Yeah, it was a little troubling to see her behind the wheel again, given past events. I almost thought she was gonna call yer man an unkind word after telling him to deal with it. :pac:

I thought Mike's scene in the street was a little Jack Reacher ish. Nacho at the table with his Da was quite sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Michelinextra.

Yeah, it was a little troubling to see her behind the wheel again, given past events. I almost thought she was gonna call yer man an unkind word after telling him to deal with it. :pac:

I thought Mike's scene in the street was a little Jack Reacher ish. Nacho at the table with his Da was quite sad.
    If it was reality Mike would be desd

Nacho is trying to stay above water trying to get his dad out so then he can sink or swim is heartbreaking to think about.

Gus is a pure ****ing boogyman using Nachos dad like that his dad is a very noble man but too thickheaded to understand the world Nacho is in and in turn the danger him continuing to chastise rather than listen is putting his son in. Still old fashioned hard working individual that he is all he really wants is Nacho to walk away and come back to the family business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

not to go into deep discussion find it interesting how many people responded that first episodes of BB or seasons didnt hook them up, as personally found that past season 2, the show went into bullet train mode, one clause after another, in comparison to better call saul it went with no brakes, and only now bcs seems picked up pace as early seasons with few exceptions were total drag to watch and almost unbearable, at how little would it move, of course now when entire seasons are out, i guess for new people its more fast paced being able to see next episode in a blink.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it was reality Mike would be desd
    yeah, it was pretty stupid, an old man pissed drunk breaks one of the gangs arm and they just do nothing, several big gangster lads who would at least have knives if not guns.

If Mike had brandished a gun it would have been bad enough but there was nothing.

Clint Eastwood Gran Torino type vibes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I've loved BCS since the first episode aired but this has been the first time I've been counting down the hours for the next episode. I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Did you ever get the feeling that Jimmy doesn't really like Howard? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Did you ever get the feeling that Jimmy doesn't really like Howard? :eek:

I really think Howard gets shafted.

Jimmy is such a prick about him.

Excellent EP. Excellent series.

Better than BB for me. Best thing on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Well that was fantastic even though I don’t fully understand what’s going on!

Howard offering Jimmy a job? What, why?

Jimmy bought the bowling balls before he even met Howard...so..?

Mike getting beat up on purpose...ok...

Mike waking up in...Mexico?

Kim doing a 180 and getting involved with dodgy dealings with Jimmy...

Mesa Verde guy isn’t stupid...he’s gonna make a link between Kim and the old mans new lawyer...Jimmy. She’s intentionally shouting herself in the foot?!

So yeah, bit confused. Very strange episode. Weirdly written.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Not sure what Jimmy's problem is with Howard? I thought Howard was pretty fair to Jimmy at lunch. Looks like Mike's ended up in a Mexican village.

Howard needs a McGill at HHM even a nogood one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

So many questions after that episode.

I think Gus had one of his men watching Mike all of the time who saw him getting attacked and picked him up and took him to a safe house to recover. That would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think Gus had one of his men watching Mike all of the time who saw him getting attacked and picked him up and took him to a safe house to recover. That would be my guess.

Or else Lalo was doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I loved BB and was looking forward to BCS when it came out. I was a bit underwhelmed with Season 1 and subsequent seasons, but I stuck with it. I'm glad now.

I thought it picked up in season 4, but for me season 5 has been by far the best - up there with some of the better BB seasons. As one other poster noted, I'm now looking forward to each new episode & watching it as soon as I can. Bryan Cranston rightly got a lot of praise for BB, but BCS has shown that Bob Odenkirk is a superb actor.

Roll on next Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Homelander wrote: »

That's how i saw it as well, with Lalo being the more likely "benefactor".

Although I remember medical infrastructure Gus previously (or more accurately subsequently, in BB timeline!) has in place for himself and Mike down south. Might be a few more familiar faces pop up there maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jimmy bought the bowling balls before he even met Howard...so..?

I'd be inclined to think that scene was actually between Saul and Jimmy meeting and Saul throwing the balls at Howard's car. Scenes before the title card can often be used to display something that actually happens later in the episode. It was daylight when Jimmy pulled over (and when he bought the balls in the shop) but night at Howard's house.
    Homelander wrote: »

That's what I think too. Doesn't seem like the type of place Gus would have hid him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Good stuff again with Kim, she has Jimmy onboard now so that's her future with Messa verde screwed I reckon.

I was watching the young lad washing out the fryer and was expecting to see Gus pushing the kids head into the boiling water. Then I worked out that that's not Gus's style so he should be ok but I was expecting something more. So much tension and nothing happening. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

i think Gus just wasnt in control at that time as he was waiting on the phone call and making the guy wash the fryer was helping him control this anxiety.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Good stuff again with Kim, she has Jimmy onboard now so that's her future with Messa verde screwed I reckon.

I was watching the young lad washing out the fryer and was expecting to see Gus pushing the kids head into the boiling water. Then I worked out that that's not Gus's style so he should be ok but I was expecting something more. So much tension and nothing happening. Great stuff.

I'm stuck between whether Gus just needed someone there as an alibi, or if it was just to show Gus' frustration, given how meticulous he is. Like an expression of quiet rage and exertion of power due to how powerless he felt having to lose the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Was Gus' plan with the cash drop off to give the DEA a win, and get them to trust crazy 8, without losing any people?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Penn wrote: »
    I'm stuck between whether Gus just needed someone there as an alibi, or if it was just to show Gus' frustration, given how meticulous he is. Like an expression of quiet rage and exertion of power due to how powerless he felt having to lose the money.

I took it as him needing an alibi and being meticulous (although we know the DEA won’t even nearly suspect him for the run of BCS) because this wasn’t fully part of his plan. But we also got some gold character nuggets there like him telling him the cleaning was just “acceptable”, even though giving praise would’ve cost nothing, but he needs to be in control and fully manipulating everyone under him at all times.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    Was Gus' plan with the cash drop off to give the DEA a win, and get them to trust crazy 8, without losing any people?

Yeah. If Gus changed the location of the drops and the DEA didn't get the money, Lalo would know Gus had someone feeding him information (and would probably suspect Nacho or Saul as they're the only ones who knew of Lalo's plan to have Krazy-8 give the info to the DEA). So Gus let the DEA take the money and arrest some low-level guys, but also made sure one of his better guys got away, probably to make it look more realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah. If Gus changed the location of the drops and the DEA didn't get the money, Lalo would know Gus had someone feeding him information (and would probably suspect Nacho or Saul as they're the only ones who knew of Lalo's plan to have Krazy-8 give the info to the DEA). So Gus let the DEA take the money and arrest some low-level guys, but also made sure one of his better guys got away, probably to make it look more realistic.

Cheers, I forgot they picked up three guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah that was a head scratchier for me, it seems completely out of character for Howard as he has always seen Jimmy as a complete schmuck and not someone suited to be a corporate lawyer in a big firm. Were it not for Chuck Jimmy would have not have gotten a job in HHMcG.

Even the conversation with the judge before they sat down for lunch where Jimmy said he had "excellent gavel work" showed that Jimmy has no decorum and generally doesnt give a fcuk. The conversation on his name change to Saul was awkward too. So it was a bit surprising for Howard to offer him a job and go on praising him to the heavens when I had thought the purpose of the lunch was Howard hoping find out Jimmy is not doing so well out on his own and having a chance to lord it over him.

Did anyone get what Howards number plate was on the Jag?

That was great when Jimmy showed the old guy battling to hold onto his house a photo of a man F**King a horse "that's what we are going to do to Messa Verde" or words to that effect :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Muahahaha wrote:
    Did anyone get what Howards number plate was on the Jag?

Namaste, there was a number instead of a letter

Advertisement