Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Betting Kim told Jimmy to go see the old guy in the hope that she can force mesa verde to move to the other site, mesa verde will find out about this and that will be the end of Kim there and likely the end of her and jimmy , wouldn't be surprised if jimmy threw her under the bus in some way infant of a judge and she doesn't forgive him for it.

as for the Howard thing, maybe an anniversary of chucks death , maybe needing some more sandpiper type business... I genuinely don't believe Howard is in any way being a dick or trying to be bad. But Jimmy still holds a grudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Betting Kim told Jimmy to go see the old guy in the hope that she can force mesa verde to move to the other site, mesa verde will find out about this and that will be the end of Kim there and likely the end of her and jimmy , wouldn't be surprised if jimmy threw her under the bus in some way infant of a judge and she doesn't forgive him for it.

as for the Howard thing, maybe an anniversary of chucks death , maybe needing some more sandpiper type business... I genuinely don't believe Howard is in any way being a dick or trying to be bad. But Jimmy still holds a grudge.

I think it was established last season that Howard largely blames himself for Chuck's death. Maybe with the Namaste licence plate, it's showing how he's trying to make peace and amends with himself more than anyone, and offering Jimmy a job is part of that because of how he treated Jimmy in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Namaste, there was a number instead of a letter

Strange, its a Hindu greeting that means 'I bow to the divine in you'. Is Howard going soft?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah. If Gus changed the location of the drops and the DEA didn't get the money, Lalo would know Gus had someone feeding him information (and would probably suspect Nacho or Saul as they're the only ones who knew of Lalo's plan to have Krazy-8 give the info to the DEA). So Gus let the DEA take the money and arrest some low-level guys, but also made sure one of his better guys got away, probably to make it look more realistic.

That scene went over my head until the very end. How cautious is Gus that even though there's no sniff of him associated with drugs, that he'll invent a shoddy cleaning job just to ensure he stays on the premises while this is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

The first season and quite a bit of the second are very dark, very gloomy, almost depressing. I gave up on it after maybe 10 episodes when it first came out. I was convinced to start it again and stick with it and I’m glad I did. It’s a masterpiece. The whole thing, start to finish. I’ve rewatched it multiple times now. You should 100% give it another shot.

Same here, I watched most of S1 of BB and it was only when it was in its final season a few colleauges begged me to go back and Im glad I did because S2 is where it takes off, however I feel it peaked at around 3 and was mostly a decline towards the finale.
    I thought the first 7 episodes of Ozark were very good, but it's been downhill since. My goodwill for this show is running out :pac:

+1

As for last nights BCS, I think Kim tying herself to Jimmy in this way will be the end of her and I cant see why she would do it.

Mike getting beat up was either, he was angry at his D.I.L and wanted to smack someone like last time but didn't think he would get set upon.
    Or
    He wanted to get a light beating to get sympathy to get back in with the D.I.L

The fryer thing really annoyed me and dragged up some memories of being a teenager being asked to do menial jobs for managers who would never give you a scrap of thanks! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Yep, the fryer reminded me of when I worked in the McDonalds drive-thru in Galway. We used to close around half eleven, but would be there until 4 scrubbing the place. Probably the cleanest place in Ireland to eat 20 years ago anyway. Some of the managers were horrible about it!

This season has been excellent so far, its great seeing Hank again too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Jimmy in the antiques shop, knew straight away he was looking for a 'blunt object', so to me the picking of the bowling balls has no significance, other than their , ahem, ballistic properties. I was wondering what scam he was going to pull to get some client off, throwing bowling balls around the court room obviously wasn't one. Given the scene was shown before the starting credits, it could've taken place at any time and therefore it later becomes probable that it happened AFTER the lunch. Which is a shame.

I thought Howard is trying to heal old wounds, and Jimmy's response is disappointingly ungracious. However, one can imagine that Jimmy 'knows' that Howard would throw him under a bus again, if the situation demanded it. I feel sorry for Howard, and I think Howard has been portrayed in a more sympathetic light for a while now. Not everyone agrees I think, but I think this is one of the writers' curve balls. I think this is needed, to facilitate the full Saul transformation. Reject the olive branch, just out of begrudgery, leaving only one path for Jimmy.

Mike is beating himself up over the thing with the grand daughter, and perhaps because he cannot come to terms with the son's murder, could he feel in some way responsible?? So, suicide by gang killing??? But obviously someone saved him and took him somewhere safe. Was that location seen before?

Now, this is why this whole series works so well. We can speculate about peoples motivations, because we know the characters so well now, or I think I do :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Muahahaha wrote:
    Strange, its a Hindu greeting that means 'I bow to the divine in you'. Is Howard going soft?

Didn't Jimmy test out the aerodynamics of a buddha statue in the antique store as well

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I read an article about the Jimmy/Howard thing.
    In summary;
    -End of last season Howard a mess as he feels guilt/grief over Chuck and is seeing a therapist
    - Jimmy hides behind new persona Saul but deep down is still broken over Chuck
    - Now Howard has got through grief and is a new better man
    - Jimmy has not taken this journey, has gone down the Saul route, and resents Howard for being 'over' Chuck, something Jimmy cant/wont do

Badly paraphrased but they are building incredible character arcs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

A great episode this week as per usual. Someone was watching Mike, perhaps one of Gus's guys.

Looks like Mike is in a safe house somewhere. Possibly Mexico.

The scene with the fryer was "acceptable" :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Didn't Jimmy test out the aerodynamics of a buddha statue in the antique store as well

Yeah he did. I thought the antique shop scene was a bit bizarre, lots of time spent choosing his weapon. I wonder was it a real antiques shop or did they actually build an entire set just for that scene.

Also the court scene where he did a switcheroo with the defendant to get a mistrial was a bit far fetched too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I'll be bitterly disappointed if we don't get a spin-off of Hank and Gomey talking sh1te in the squad car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I'll be bitterly disappointed if we don't get a spin-off of Hank and Gomey talking sh1te in the squad car.

Brilliant banter between the two lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

MICKEYG wrote: »
    In summary;
    -End of last season Howard a mess as he feels guilt/grief over Chuck and is seeing a therapist
    - Jimmy has not taken this journey, has gone down the Saul route, and resents Howard for being 'over' Chuck, something Jimmy cant/wont do

Jimmy is simply an arsehole in this case. Howard genuinely wants Jimmy involved and always did, only for Chuck to be a little bitch and refuse any possibility of Jimmy being a peer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

In summary;

I was trying to pin down why Jimmy would react this particular way but you've nailed it there. That's it exactly. I almost wish I'd never seen BB, knowing where all this leads is just tragic tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mike is beating himself up over the thing with the grand daughter, and perhaps because he cannot come to terms with the son's murder, could he feel in some way responsible?? So, suicide by gang killing??

Not really his sons murder, the fact that he murdered ze German and works for a drug dealer and is no better than the dirty cops who killed his son.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That scene went over my head until the very end. How cautious is Gus that even though there's no sniff of him associated with drugs, that he'll invent a shoddy cleaning job just to ensure he stays on the premises while this is going on.

Jayus, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I did not twig that. I just thought he was on a power trip on the staff member. It was funny how unquestioning the staff manager was eager to please. Gus must be a very fair boss.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well that was fantastic even though I don’t fully understand what’s going on!

Howard offering Jimmy a job? What, why?
    Namaste, there was a number instead of a letter
    I think it was established last season that Howard largely blames himself for Chuck's death. Maybe with the Namaste licence plate, it's showing how he's trying to make peace and amends with himself more than anyone, and offering Jimmy a job is part of that because of how he treated
    In summary;

I think Howard's Namaste number plate sent Jimmy over the edge. He found 'peace' but Jimmy can't. And Jimmy is jealous of Howard finding 'peace' and views him as a hypocrite.
    Remember Jimmy took no blame for Chucks descent and even said to a guilty Howard after Chuck died - 'That is your cross to bear Howard'. Jimmy reveled in Howard's discomfort and now hates to see him move on, and be at ease.
    Howard never seemed to really make an effort to over rule Chuck, until near the end when he bought Chuck out of his share, when it suited him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I think it was established last season that Howard largely blames himself for Chuck's death. Maybe with the Namaste licence plate, it's showing how he's trying to make peace and amends with himself more than anyone, and offering Jimmy a job is part of that because of how he treated

I think Howard's Namaste number plate sent Jimmy over the edge. He found 'peace' but Jimmy can't. And Jimmy is jealous of Howard finding 'peace' and views him as a hypocrite.
    Remember Jimmy took no blame for Chucks desecent and even said to a guilty Howard after Chuck died - 'That is your cross to bear Howard. Jimmy revealed in Howard's discomfort and now hates to see him move on, and be at ease.
    Howard never seemed to really make an effort to over rule Chuck, until near the end when he bought Chuck out of his share, when it suited him.

My own reading of Chuck's departure was that Howard finally saw that Chuck was unhinged, and in retrospect that explained why he(Chuck) insisted in Jimmy being cut adrift. With Chuck gone, Howard was a free man, until Chuck toasted himself. Howard being the new softer character we finally recognised, was aghast at the outcome. He now has come to terms with this "That's between you and Chuck". And to a huge extent, he's absolutely right. But, reword it slightly "That's between CHUCK and you". Not blaming Jimmy. I think that's where Howard is now.
    Jimmy, the silly sausage, is impetuous, just like little boy Jimmy in Dad's shop. Which is why I can forgive him almost anything. I can still be disappointed, but want a better outcome. The bowling balls have NOT helped his case:pac::pac:

Edit :I don't really believe Jimmy gives a flying fig about Chuck any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I hope the "50% off" pair of gobshites die a horrible death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

Why were 3 bells on the shop door that he bought 3 bowling balls in ?
    I may be reading too much into this :D

This thread is fantastic by the way. I go straight to it after each episode to have the episode explained to me !
    I am fairly sure I am going to rewatch the whole series again over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

km79 wrote: »
    Why were 3 bells on the shop door that he bought 3 bowling balls in ?
    It was a pawn shop, they have these outside, like barbers have poles.

But I never knew why they had them so looked it up
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pawnbroker
    The pawnbrokers' symbol is three spheres suspended from a bar. The three sphere symbol is attributed to the Medici family of Florence, Italy, owing to its symbolic meaning of Lombard.[citation needed] This refers to the Italian region of Lombardy, where pawn shop banking originated under the name of Lombard banking. It has been conjectured that the golden spheres were originally three flat yellow effigies of bezants, or gold coins, laid heraldically upon a sable field, but that they were converted into spheres to better attract attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Took that as him reacting to things happening outside of his control by being extremely controlling wrt the cleanliness and his employee.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Hank though <3 *

Had this sitting in the homelands thread accidentally :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,417 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It's the aftermath, and rehab without the rehab. I'm Saul frackin' Goodman. Free lawyers suck. Offers once again loom, over lunch. Pulled in various directions, honest worlds and not. Kim's distracted. Was the call centre suggestion solid legwork? Mike's not good. Everyone in this one was babysitting. Observing Jimmy, that shot of Kim, she later takes his counsel. I did enjoy the Gus Mr Fring/stakeout/dead drop stuff and how that was cross cut. Felt like I was watching The Americans again. Cleanliness is next to stealthiness. Upstream's a struggle for the 5-0, even with Hank's motivational tuppence worth performance. And with bowling balls, let the assault begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Syncpolice

Took that as him reacting to things happening outside of his control by being extremely controlling wrt the cleanliness and his employee.

Would Gus even be thinking alibi at this stage?

Hank is comedy gold, he does it so well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

Jimmy is simply an arsehole in this case. Howard genuinely wants Jimmy involved and always did, only for Chuck to be a little bitch and refuse any possibility of Jimmy being a peer.

This!

I don't get the whole anti-Howard hatred on this thread. While he's not the most likable individual ever, as The White Wolf said he always did like Jimmy and wanted him at HMM all along. However, Chuck was "a little bitch" (thanks, TWF! :p) and didn't want him anywhere near there. He had a life long jealousy of Jimmy (going back to childhood and the way his parents treated him/spoiled him) and couldn't handle him achieving anything with his life or being in any successful. Howard never did anything bad/nasty to Jimmy himself, he was just Chuck's hatchet man.

Of course, there's always two other options here, either separate or related to the above. One is that Howard is trying to make amends to Jimmy for not standing up to Chuck and bringing him on board in the past so is trying to rectify that. Guilt and making amends may or may not be part of that, but probably is.

Another is that HMM is no longer the force it was since Chuck left. It's possible that they are struggling now after losing a lot of business due to Chuck, his behaviour, his departure, his death and the bad publicity all of these would bring locally. Howard may see "Jimmy Hustle" as the guy they need to drum up business and get some cases like that Nursing Home one in order to save HMM/restore it to what it was before.

As for Jimmy, he's always had a self destruct button that will always stop him from fulfilling his potential and/or being happy in life. When faced with a great chance to be rich, successful, respected etc. he self destructs and goes out of his way to convince himself of some slight or other to justify his actions. Personally, in this instance, I think he knows that he could never take the job because (a) he knows that he will always be compared to Chuck, his reputation, his legacy etc. and (b) his conscience, guilty or other wise. He can't deal with the consequences of his actions, cope with the results or live with either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gus needed a distraction I think the guy walking out the door saying he didn't get the grill was a plant Gus set it up as he needed a way to let off steam while waiting for the DEA situation to happen waiting for a call like that is head wrecking always good to have a human punching bag of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Penfailed

When does each new episode hit Netflix? I've been catching up with the latest episode the following weekend but I'm off today and tomorrow :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

Penfailed wrote: »
    When does each new episode hit Netflix? I've been catching up with the latest episode the following weekend but I'm off today and tomorrow :)

Tuesday. they should put the rest of the season up now for all those people self isolating. :)

Advertisement