Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Can anyone fill me in on Gus' history with the Salamancas, I remember an episode/scenes in BB that was set at a Mexican villa with a swimming pool and Gus meeting cartel members but cant recall if that itself was a flashback to BCS or where it fits in.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can anyone fill me in on Gus' history with the Salamancas, I remember an episode/scenes in BB that was set at a Mexican villa with a swimming pool and Gus meeting cartel members but cant recall if that itself was a flashback to BCS or where it fits in.

Short story is Gus and Max (likely boyfriend but never confirmed) went to Don Eladio (Cartel boss) and offered to produce meth for them, which Gus claimed would be better than cocaine. Gus had been selling meth to some of Don Eladio's people in order to get his attention. Hector Salamanca shot Max, and Don Eladio threatened Gus, and hinted at something in Gus' past.

Few years later, Gus is still running cocaine for Don Eladio and is bringing in a lot of money. He's working under Bolsa who is along the same level as Hector. Then we get the events of BCS (so Gus' meeting with Don Eladio was years before BCS). Gus is still plotting his revenge against Hector, Bolsa and Don Eladio during the events of BCS while working on the inside of their operation in order to take it over.

Gus hates Hector most of all because he was the one who shot Max, and Gus wants to destroy/takeover everything, kill all the Salamancas, and taunt Hector.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Homelander wrote: »
    The one enduring niggle I have that really prevents the show from being a classic is the surprisingly lack of effort in making Kim and Jimmy's relationship work and feel credible. I just don't buy it at all.

I started watching Breaking Bad thanks being stuck indoors and I'm not crazy on it TBH. My biggest gripe is that I'm supposed to believe Walter and your one are in a relationship let alone married, zero credibility. The Jimmy Kim thing is a bit more believable, they both come across as being slightly seperate and at odds with the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Out of boredom, I've started watching BB again, but this time from season 3 onwards (I've skipped the first two). I'm enjoying it a lot more now, and I'm finally warming to Walt and Jesse (Jesse's "yo,yo, bitch" schtick rubs me up the wrong way: much better when he is more introspective). I also didn't like Hank before, but now he's probably my favourite character. He's got a lot more depth this season: his acting while sitting on the bed and talking to his wife about how he isn't the same man anymore after killing Tuco was phenomenal. Skyler and her sister, and Walt Jnr, annoy the arse off me, and the show is at it's best when it focuses less on the family and more on the drugs trade/DEA. I'm looking forward to the rest of it but IMO BCS is much better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,785 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Out of boredom, I've started watching BB again, but this time from season 3 onwards (I've skipped the first two). I'm enjoying it a lot more now, and I'm finally warming to Walt and Jesse (Jesse's "yo,yo, bitch" schtick rubs me up the wrong way: much better when he is more introspective). I also didn't like Hank before, but now he's probably my favourite character. He's got a lot more depth this season: his acting while sitting on the bed and talking to his wife about how he isn't the same man anymore after killing Tuco was phenomenal. Skyler and her sister, and Walt Jnr, annoy the arse off me, and the show is at it's best when it focuses less on the family and more on the drugs trade/DEA. I'm looking forward to the rest of it but IMO BCS is much better :)

I watched both but I was late to the BB party. Caught up to about the 2013 season very fast. I can understand why some people got fed up of it if they were waiting for stuff to happen in the first few BB seasons. It was really chracter development stuff - unusual as most shows would not bother.

I am watching the new Star Trek 'Picard' stuff - some of it is awful muck as if the dialogue is written by a TY student - with lots of on screen explaining.
    Some parts are so poor they are funny. It makes me realise how bloody good BCS is because they make it look easy.

'Picard' is a completely different planet (pun intended) to BB or BCS - it's very patchy. The crucial difference is that in BB and BCS is important that the viewer cares about the characters. The writers in BB and BCS do this really well, even for the minor characters.

As for which is better between BCS and BB? I don't honestly know too close to call for me.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Penn wrote: »
    Short story is Gus and Max (likely boyfriend but never confirmed) went to Don Eladio (Cartel boss) and offered to produce meth for them, which Gus claimed would be better than cocaine. Gus had been selling meth to some of Don Eladio's people in order to get his attention. Hector Salamanca shot Max, and Don Eladio threatened Gus, and hinted at something in Gus' past.

Few years later, Gus is still running cocaine for Don Eladio and is bringing in a lot of money. He's working under Bolsa who is along the same level as Hector. Then we get the events of BCS (so Gus' meeting with Don Eladio was years before BCS). Gus is still plotting his revenge against Hector, Bolsa and Don Eladio during the events of BCS while working on the inside of their operation in order to take it over.

Gus hates Hector most of all because he was the one who shot Max, and Gus wants to destroy/takeover everything, kill all the Salamancas, and taunt Hector.

Thanks Penn, Id forgotten a lot of those details but its clearer now. What was in it that makes some think Max was his gay partner, how did they allude to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Bambi wrote: »
    I started watching Breaking Bad thanks being stuck indoors and I'm not crazy on it TBH. My biggest gripe is that I'm supposed to believe Walter and your one are in a relationship let alone married, zero credibility. The Jimmy Kim thing is a bit more believable, they both come across as being slightly seperate and at odds with the rest of the world.

A lot of relationships are exciting, and with a lot of chemistry (excuse the pun) for many years, extend into a loving family etc. And then just get stale, and its more about the responsibility of raising a family, planning for retirement. You might wonder about Walt and Skyler being so seemingly mismatched. But then see the flashback of Walt and Gretchen when he's young, charming and without a care in the world. Then given that the situation with Walt Jr, and precarious finances, probably just got on with things

With Jimmy and Kim, she is quite serious and career focused. He's a bit of excitement and they care for each other even it seems a bit cold

Or maybe my own relationships have just worn me down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thanks Penn, Id forgotten a lot of those details but its clearer now. What was in it that makes some think Max was his gay partner, how did they allude to that?

From what I remember of the scene when it was looking like they were going to kill Gus, Max was very strongly pleading for Gus to be spared. There was also how Gus reacted to Max being killed, much more emotional than just a friend being killed and even the way he seemed more devastated about that than fearful for his own life considering they were pretty much holding a gun to his head.

The fact he carried that with him, naming the scholarship after him that he eventually recruited Gale from (the chemist he hired to work with Walt before Jesse killed him), and spent years trying to take down not just Don Eladio and Bolsa, but specifically Hectors family since he was the one who pulled the trigger. It wasn't just about taking over the meth trade and getting rich or powerful, Gus made a lot of risky decisions specifically because it would help him get revenge on them. The lengths he went to for revenge was far more than if Max was just a friend. Plus we never see or hear anything of Gus having a family.

Now in BCS, was also see in this latest episode that the small school/village Gus is secretly finding is dedicated to Max (as per the plaque on the fountain).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah, it seemed like he was the only person Gus ever loved, or something. It may never have been acted upon or even spoken about between them, but it really did seem like there was something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Homelander wrote: »
    The one enduring niggle I have that really prevents the show from being a classic is the surprisingly lack of effort in making Kim and Jimmy's relationship work and feel credible. I just don't buy it at all.

Yeah, there's zero spark between them. It just doesn't sit right that Kim would hang in there. There's something about her that we don't know that might have the whole relationship make more sense but it's strange that despite them both being excellent actors, the relationship just doesn't ring true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Classic I can change him fix him up for her and she's my soulmate for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A lot of relationships are exciting, and with a lot of chemistry (excuse the pun) for many years, extend into a loving family etc. And then just get stale

Plenty of shows portrayed that well. Tony Soprano and Carmela etc.

Walter and Skyler don't. The actors dont do a particularly good job and the writing is not great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

optogirl wrote: »
    Yeah, there's zero spark between them. It just doesn't sit right that Kim would hang in there. There's something about her that we don't know that might have the whole relationship make more sense but it's strange that despite them both being excellent actors, the relationship just doesn't ring true.

Saul's querying Kim if she wanted to join him for a shower was plain weird.

Zero chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Kim does come across a bit detached at the best of times and there is something very cold about her. She looks so uncomfortable when she smiles. She also looks a bit like a cheetah!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5.3: That was a brilliantly directed episode! From the Ants at the start, through Kim's bad day, Mikes appearance, Frink letting the dead drop go and right through to the end where Kim and Jimmy meet up and throw the bottles.

Tension between Lalo and Fring is something fierce for guys who are rarely on the screen together!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Slydice wrote: »
    5.3: That was a brilliantly directed episode! From the Ants at the start, through Kim's bad day, Mikes appearance, Frink letting the dead drop go and right through to the end where Kim and Jimmy meet up and throw the bottles.

Tension between Lalo and Frink is something fierce for guys who are rarely on the screen together!

FRING

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Kim has no clue who she is, that’s literally her one defining characteristic. She seems perfectly happy when she’s being a good person defending fundamentally decent people when they need it, yet she also feels perfectly happy conning people with Jimmy. She’s at her most valuable doing the kind of lawyering she hates. She’s a complete contradiction and it’s frankly impossible for her to have chemistry with Jimmy or anyone while she can’t even decide who she wants to be herself. Her and Jimmy are supposed to feel toxic, off and doomed: they spent much of last season going to lengths to show us this (remember the tooth brushing montage?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

FRING

GAH! Edited! In my defence, the keys are nowhere near each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭wolfmoon87

MICKEYG wrote: »
    When Saul was breaking up the pottery in the bag on the kitchen he was also talking about a curry that would not be ready for some time
    Was there some significance to that for a new scam or simply just dinner?

He used it to stain the pottery so it doesn't look as new. He has another pot that he takes a load of teabags out of. So it looks likes he's trying out a few different stains.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

what was up with jimmy fecking the bowling balls at howards cars?

just spite of some kind? seemed a bit contrived to just be about some vandalism.

• Advertisement

I just saw this review of the last episode 'Dedicado a Max' to see if missed anything.

Turns out, I did. That Mr X fella (the guy with the beard) who did the PI work for Saul was in the show before. Remember Mike in the carpark without a gun? Mike took the gun from 'Trevor'. Aka 'Mr X'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

^ I immediately noticed that!

But I missed almost everything else :pac:

Wexler v Goodman - top notch episode. Surely in the top 3 at the end of the series?

Echoes of the Chuck v Jimmy conversation, between Kim and Saul.

Great twists in it.

Or get married. How absurd!:D

seligehgit wrote: »
    Or get married. How absurd!:D

In for a penny in for a pound? All or nothing?

In for a penny in for a pound? All or nothing?

Totally agree but we all know it's going to end in tears including Kim.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

It's very enjoyable to watch it all unfold, and Rhea Seehorn is playing it well. Kim has no right to be surprised or angry at Jimmy for doing this. Of course he was going to do it. He was always going to follow through on this scheme, and she knows this. He's never pretended to be anything other than Slipping Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The prelude shows how stubborn Kim is.

She was played by Jimmy

Very freudian she ended up with someone just like her Mom

I think shes going to dangle marriage and then not turn up to the wedding as a revenge finally breaking him to become Saul.

A theory on a review I watched was -

that married women do not have to testify on thier spouse, and receive immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

Amazing episode. Actually sublime, on tenterhooks the whole way through.

And to think at one point, I was against a BB prequel....

Advertisement