Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have this obsessive thing about wanting to know what ages characters are supposed to be.

This page

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Kim_Wexler

says Kim was
    Date of birth
    Late 1950’s to early 1960’s

and meant to be early 40s in the first season.

Now Detective Nerdo Rubadub heard them mention McNuggets, only introduced in 1981-83, and young kim looked 10-12. The car & clothes did look like 80s to me. I think the BCS time is around 2004-2005 now. Making her ~35 or younger.

Yep, a lot of time on my hands stuck indoors...

I think that website has also changed the age of Mike over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭Homelander

Mike looked like a crystallized fossil even in early breaking bad. His head in 4K is terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Peak BCS. This show excels when they plant seeds then pay it off running cons and we got 4-5 this week. Felt really bad for Howard though, Jimmy is just vindictive now and they’re doing well to turn me against him. The Mesa Verde meeting was breathtaking, echoes of how I felt when Jimmy flummoxed Chuck on the stand, which is as good as this show gets for me.

The only thing that kinda took me out of the moment was the ending. It just seemed too out of left field for such a meticulous, character-driven show, where even huge twists like Jimmy’s minutes beforehand instantly make sense and feel earned. But they have my endless goodwill and trust to sell me on it in the coming weeks. This season is knocking it out of the park so I’ll probably end up seeing it as a great twist by the time things play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,397 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Was half wondering was part of the Marriage angle to do with them not being forced to testify against each other in the future?

Good ep again.

This show surpassed BB a while back for me and is the best thing on TV imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It seems so strange that Kim flipped like that. Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

noodler wrote: »
    This show surpassed BB a while back for me and is the best thing on TV imo

I agree, way more nuanced

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The guy who plays Howard is just fantastic. That scene in the restaurant was brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Much better than Breaking Bad

Saw this on reddit ;)

nkqb9xbi8no41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Meth's a hell of a drug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow!! Is it meant to be the same person ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Wow!! Is it meant to be the same person ?

no

every blonde woman that appears in BCS some rando on the internet tries to shoehorn in a "theory" that it's the older prostitute from BB

no

every blonde woman that appears in BCS some rando on the internet tries to shoehorn in a "theory" that it's the older prostitute from BB

I even saw a joke theory that Kim becomes Wendy!

https://www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/97g1pa/to_all_of_you_kimwendy_theorists_out_there/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,458 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Penn wrote: »
    The guy who plays Howard is just fantastic. That scene in the restaurant was brilliant :D

He's brilliant and I love that he's still in it when there's no reall need for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

no

In fairness, the coat and profession would make this one the strongest case yet. But even still, it's definitely not Wendy. Meth does insane things to people even after 2 years, but not enough for that kind of change. The time difference between BCS and the start of BB means they'd just bring back the actress who played Wendy and really doll her up to make her look younger.

He's brilliant and I love that he's still in it when there's no reall need for him.
    the fake looking photo smile on him in his publicity shots reminds me of a local councillor Cormac Devlin

7qfbikm1iro41.jpg

BCR-2019-Cormac-Devlin-1024x576.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,424 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I didn't see that marriage thing coming :eek:

Expected it to be the final breakup between Kim and Jimmy
    rubadub wrote: »
    I think the BCS time is around 2004-2005 now.

That's about right. The mobile phone break through for the masses happened in about 2002-2004 over here but they were a bit behind in the USA (strangely enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

the fake looking photo smile on him in his publicity shots reminds me of a local councillor Cormac Devlin

7qfbikm1iro41.jpg

BCR-2019-Cormac-Devlin-1024x576.jpg

I went to school with that guy 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Howard was born to advertise toothpaste!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5.4: Decent episode. Not sure if Jimmy went out from the start to do Howards car with the bowling balls. He got them before the lunch meeting. I think Fring has just shown Mike he values him by taking him into care somewhere.

The hands on Lyle from cleaning that cooker in Los Pollos Hermanos! :eek: I'm guessing this guy has a future in the show!

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    5.4: Decent episode. Not sure if Jimmy went out from the start to do Howards car with the bowling balls. He got them before the lunch meeting.
    He seemingly got them after the meeting. The scenes before the credits can be years ago or in the future.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namaste_(Better_Call_Saul)
    I never heard this term before
    Jimmy buys three bowling balls at a pawn shop (as shown in medias res in the cold open) and flings them over Howard's front gate, damaging his expensive car, which sports a vanity license plate reading "NAMAST3".
    it was the name of the episode and his face changes when he saw the reg plate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_medias_res
    A narrative work beginning in medias res (Classical Latin: [ɪn ˈmɛdɪ.aːs ˈreːs], lit. "into the middle of things") opens in the midst of the plot (cf. ab ovo, ab initio).[1] Often, exposition is bypassed and filled in gradually, either through dialogue, flashbacks or description of past events.

I noticed his face changing in the most recent episode too, spoiler as you have not seen it, safe for everyone else.
    he is laughing away at the hookers and says "oh god I'm good" and then smirks and then seems to regret it and be disgusted with himself like he knows hes being a prize prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5.5: Ooooooh. I don't remember Fring having a son but I'm guessing Max was his son and now it all comes together.

He seemingly got them after the meeting. The scenes before the credits can be years ago or in the future.
    Ah! That makes sense!

5.5: Ooooooh. I don't remember Fring having a son but I'm guessing Max was his son and now it all comes together.
    Max was said to be his boyfriend. I never twigged that Gus was meant to be gay and when I first heard Lalo comment on him being his "boyfriend" I thought it was just slagging banter for a guy who is always hanging around him or always with him.

I posted this before, quote from BB so do not read if you have not seen it.

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Max_Arciniega
    Don Eladio, Gustavo didn't mean to offend. l know Gustavo like a brother. He's an honorable man. The most loyal man l have ever known. He rescued me from the Santiago slums. He made me the man l am today! Gustavo is a genius. He will make you millions! Just find it in your heart to forgive him this one small mistake. Please He's my partner. l need him! l swear to God!

― Max's final words (In Spanish) before being murdered by Hector Salamanca for Gus' disrespectful actions towards Don Eladio.

I think there was some glitch on either netflix or the BB dvds which had the subtitles turned off around that scene or another. I only found out after looking it up as I thought it went on a bit long with with no subtitles. It was meant to be shown by default but some bug/mistake meant you had to turn it on.

Some fan theory was saying the woman looking after Mike was Max's mother.

The other fan theory ages ago was that Ernesto was Gus's son

450?cb=20160222124417

Max was not his son. Gus "rescued" and mentored him and he became his business partner. His brother. Hence "los pollos hermanos". Hermano is brother in Spanish.

Salamanca executed him in front of Gus' eyes. Hence his thirst for revenge being his leitmotiv. This will of course not end well for either man but gave us the best TV scene ever made :D:D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

You'd think Jimmy would have learned to play another guitar riff by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Anyone watching this that thinks it's a steaming pile of $hite? I watch it because I loved breaking bad and I love the character of Saul but the show has nothing in comparison. It's basically close ups of Mikes withered head mixed with plot lines that wouldn't be far off a soap opera, particularly in relation to the legal references. I'll still watch it though.

Max was said to be his boyfriend. I never twigged that Gus was meant to be gay and when I first heard Lalo comment on him being his "boyfriend"

I missed your post there before I posted!

And funny you mention that, I thought the same about them being gay at the time (in BB) but didn't think more of it until now. Didn't notice Lalo and the gay slur.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,980 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

You'd think Jimmy would have learned to play another guitar riff by now.

He's just bad enough at it to avoid paying any royalties.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Anyone watching this that thinks it's a steaming pile of $hite? I watch it because I loved breaking bad and I love the character of Saul but the show has nothing in comparison. It's basically close ups of Mikes withered head mixed with plot lines that wouldn't be far off a soap opera, particularly in relation to the legal references. I'll still watch it though.

Watched the first few episodes when it aired because of BB, but lost interest. Started re-watching it again last week and I agree and can see why I stopped watching it. I’m on season 4 now and committed to watching it through but it’s so uneventful and disappointing compared to BB.

Really have started to dislike the character of Jimmy. They drag scenes on for way too long and your left thinking what is the point of this scene. There’s bits and pieces of Mike’s storyline which are ok and remind you of BB but I’m starting to switch off for most of Jimmys scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Nope. If I thought something was a steaming pile of ****e, I wouldn't continue watching.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement