Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

No that scene where he took the car completely apart was also BCS, season or 2 back ...

was a lighbulb moment for me, realising how Walter was tracked all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

The Fly comparison for me was due to the extensive part of the episode in the one cheap shot location with just two cast members. Not a criticism by the way, I enjoyed both episodes.

Depending on the cost of the shootout and flipping a car(must be dirt cheap sure even Glenroe did it :pac: ) I'd assume this was one of the cheaper episodes this season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

The Fly comparison for me was due to the extensive part of the episode in the one cheap shot location with just two cast members. Not a criticism by the way, I enjoyed both episodes.

Depending on the cost of the shootout and flipping a car(must be dirt cheap sure even Glenroe did it :pac: ) I'd assume this was one of the cheaper episodes this season too.

Your username reminds me. I was watching the final two episodes of Tiger King before BCS last night.

Lots of crystal meth victims in that show too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

that was for me the best bit of television ive seen in several years and the best episode ever of this show

one thing however , the gang could not see mike during the shootout yet he took each of them out like he was the terminator in possession of high grade military weaponry , could he seriously have wiped an entire well seasoned unit with a rifle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    that was for me the best bit of television ive seen in several years and the best episode ever of this show

one thing however , the gang could not see mike during the shootout yet he took each of them out like he was the terminator in possession of high grade military weaponry , could he seriously have wiped an entire well seasoned unit with a rifle ?

In fairness, he was expecting, and armed for, a distance sniper attack on a group. They were expecting an "up close" execution job on an unarmed lawyer. Could they even hit him, with what they had? Presume he could be well out of their range.

I thought the flaw was that the guy who escaped did not really make any change in approach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Better positioning, element of surprise, higher-range weapon, not giving them time to work out where he was which meant they couldn't aim and just had to pop out and fire wildly

Plus I don't think they were a well seasoned unit. They were probably just some small local gang, more akin to Uncle Jack and the Nazis from Breaking Bad than the Salamancas/Cartel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes. I don't think you can overstate the advantage a trained man with a high powered rifle and a scope has in this sort of situation, particularly with cover and likely an elevated position. In real life you would have virtually no idea where he was shooting from, just a general direction.

From a strategic point of view the only chance they had was to simply flee in the vehicles immediately.

That part was absolutely plausible. What wasn't plausible was an 80 year old men trekking through the desert for over 24 hours with heavy equipment. He'd have collapsed within six.

This episode reminded me a lot of the Pine Barrens episode in the Sopranos.

yes

Penn wrote: »
    Better positioning, element of surprise, higher-range weapon, not giving them time to work out where he was which meant they couldn't aim and just had to pop out and fire wildly

Plus I don't think they were a well seasoned unit. They were probably just some small local gang, more akin to Uncle Jack and the Nazis from Breaking Bad than the Salamancas/Cartel.

Im no gun expert but Mikes riffle didnt look military grade to me ?

the gang had much more high powered weaponry

I wouldn't think filming on location in 4k is ever going to be cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The gang could have had a rocket launcher and it wouldn't matter if they didn't have the time to aim and know where to aim at. Mike's rifle might not have been military grade, but it was a long-range rifle. Much higher precision and he had them pinned down, while they had machine guns but nothing to aim at, just ended up firing wildly in a general direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭earlytobed

Mike uses the M40 sniper rifle as used by the Marine Corps

• Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

For me, this has surpassed Breaking Bad which is a shock because I'm usually not a fan of prequels at all. But BCS is just outstanding.

Deserves way more award recognition than it has gotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

It is the same rifle he bought from the arms dealer (same one who hooked up Walter White on two occasions) when he was going to shoot Hector Salamanca. They had a conversation about how it was a standard military issue in Vietnam albeit with the addition of a carbon fibre body/stock. So it is military grade, just not up to date military grade.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Wow, I am going to miss this show and the characters so much. That episode was terrific. And the show is just such a beautiful interpretation of people .

BCS is one of few shows that I have watched from the very beginning and anticipated each episode and season. Most series I have watched after they've already been released (Breaking Bad, The Wire etc). When a show like this ends it always leaves some sort of hole.

I am just drinking it all in and making the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mike is the best character in both shows and what ends up happening to him makes me detest WW.

nullzero wrote: »
    It is the same rifle he bought from the arms dealer (same one who hooked up Walter White on two occasions) when he was going to shoot Hector Salamanca. They had a conversation about how it was a standard military issue in Vietnam albeit with the addition of a carbon fibre body/stock. So it is military grade, just not up to date military grade.

Assume Mike is a Vietnam veteran?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

One of best episodes of any drama in the last 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PyreOfHellfire View Post
    This episode reminded me a lot of the Pine Barrens episode in the Sopranos.
    yes
    yes

Also the episode where Walt and Jesse got stuck in the camper van, at one point Jesse said he wanted to just walk and Walt warned him that he'd die, it's like this episode is the alternative choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Mike is the best character in both shows and what ends up happening to him makes me detest WW.

I know, it was such a cheap and easy way for him to die.... he deserved more ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There was something of a indication of that in the conversation with the arms dealer in season 2.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

5.8: Impressive action scenes but I thought they frontloaded the action too much and then got distracted by "don't drink the piss". More development on Kim. Guessing the cartel does something or the writers are using that as a distracting idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

No that scene where he took the car completely apart was also BCS, season or 2 back ...

Ha ha. What a dope! D'oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

Lalo is too funny

Great action, dunno how many times ive seen the shooter taken out like that in movies, the blood spatter was a good effect

Poor old Saul with have a terrible dose of PTSD after going down there for a handy 100k

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

'Your husband is like la cucaracha..'. :pac:

I loved that episode. The car roll behind Jimmy was so cool.

There was always going to be some kind of a episode like this with Jimmy and Mike though, no?. It smooths in the idea that Mike would be Jimmy's man to call when Jane died?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

That was my favourite episode of the show so far. Really enjoyed Mike and Jimmy together. The action scene was really well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

nullzero wrote: »
    There was something of a indication of that in the conversation with the arms dealer in season 2.

I'd say he was Marine Recon in Vietnam. He wears the same gear and uses the same weapons and tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

Mike. " We have to get off this road"

Jimmy thought he was safely heading the right way lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pacifico wrote: »
    But ‘The Fly’ is a terrible episode?!
    1 poster found this episode boring and got 2 likes. Some might think pepsi tastes like coke, or heineken tastes like carlsberg and you might hate one, no big deal.

Others think the show is shite but keep watching, that is "?!" worthy!

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Mike_Ehrmantraut
    Background
    Mike was born sometime in the 1940s. He remembers his father as leaving him a "cold-water flat and a stack of bills.("Coushatta") Mike was possibly a sniper in the Vietnam War ("Gloves Off"). It is possible he has a history in special operations or intelligence agencies, as he has extensive knowledge of surveillance equipment and is well trained in stealth tactics. He also mentions that he specializes in tracking individuals down, no matter where they are in the world. Mike had previously been married for 22 years. ("Wiedersehen")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,235 ✭✭✭✭km79

FanBLOODYtastic tv
    As good as it gets

Advertisement