Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

seligehgit wrote: »
    I hardly find it credible that Lalo fell for Kim's spiel.:confused:

Was she that convincing?

I don't think he fell for it at all. He mentioned to Nacho when they drove off to Mexico something about a 'change of plan'. I'm sure he has a nefarious plan afoot...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,177 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Kept flicking my eyes towards Lalo's hand and the gun when Kim was tearing strips off him.

Brilliant tension in that scene, was holding my breath at one stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I wasn't totally in love with this season at first, but the quality of each individual episode has gone up a few notches over the last few weeks.

This was another great watch. The tension of the final scene was brilliant. Lalo is such a fantastic character. I like how everything is soft and easy with him, but he always carries an air of menace and danger. I'd be amazed if we don't see Tony Dalton in more TV and film in the future. The guy has presence on screen.

Though, to be fair, I'm not convinced that a man like him would buy Kim's speech to save the day. Felt a bit convenient, like that was the only way for the scene to resolve itself without people dying. In reality a man like Lalo would probably kill Saul and Kim, just to be sure. But, maybe, there's a sting in the tail. It didn't seem like he was fully convinced when he got back in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Great ep, watches it last night right before bed and pretty sure I had all them characters in my dreams..😂

Kim Speculation:
    I don't think Kim is getting bumped off, it's too neat.
    I think there is a similarly painful end scenario, she gets vacuumed. This allows for Saul to continue, knowing she is safe, but painfully out of reach forever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Just finished watching that, Christ I need to go and lie down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

kenmm wrote: »
    Great ep, watches it last night right before bed and pretty sure I had all them characters in my dreams..��

Kim Speculation:
    I don't think Kim is getting bumped off, it's too neat.
    I think there is a similarly painful end scenario, she gets vacuumed. This allows for Saul to continue, knowing she is safe, but painfully out of reach forever.

I'm almost starting to lean towards a third option; she breaks bad and becomes a friend of the Cartel herself.

We've seen how impulsive she can be, how her morality can shift as needs be, the influence Jimmy has on her, and now she's outlined to Lalo how he should be funneling his money to make it safer, indicating to him that she knows how to do it. Plus I think Lalo would now trust and respect her more than he would Saul.

Maybe that's what causes the split between Jimmy and Kim. She ends up taking his place, which upsets Jimmy and drives a wedge between them. Maybe the pettiness inside him is what then causes him to steal something from Lalo with the help of Nacho (which would tie in to his first episode in Breaking Bad).

Considering the show is a prequel and we know where half the characters end up, they've done an incredible job of setting up so many different routes for the story to go for the other characters, and how that ties in and influences where the characters we do know end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Are Kim and Lalo the best couple in BB and BCS ???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They always tie up loose ends in BB / BCS and the meting out of karma is finely balanced.

I think that Kim will be spirited away by vacuum guy when the danger is at its highest point. That 100k cash pays for the one way ticket.

We'll eventually then see Jimmy/Saul/Gene in the present day finally either meet with her or at least see her again. Jimmy never killed anyone, his penance for all his lawyer shady dealings will have been served by this time. There won't be a happy ending as such, but the final scene will be Kim opening a door and Jimmy standing on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Penn wrote: »
    I'm almost starting to lean towards a third option; she breaks bad and becomes a friend of the Cartel herself.
    That's a nice theory, it was all just a job interview, I've been at more nerve racking ones myself!

But also he might be impressed with Saul sticking to his story too, not breaking under pressure, he needs guys like that.

Even if he knows the story is BS it shows she can come up with BS on the spur of the moment, and outlandish suggestions can have to be accepted in court.

Did he say something that could have been cryptic to Saul, like "I'll be using you again". That springfield site with scripts does not seem to work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,971 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Series belongs to Rhea Seehorn and I'm convinced that is where Saul/Jimmy is on his way to in the 'present'. The final denouement between them.
    She is too big a character to kill off. She will be vacuumed for the BB years.

Superlative TV...every second of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It wouldn't completely shock me if she did, like they've planted a lot of seeds to suggest that: her quitting her job, tension between her and Lalo, her lowering her moral code, Jimmy telling her about 'the road' etc. But I think they're setting up multiple red herrings to get us speculating. To me, although they could absolutely pull it off in a way that blows our minds, it would be a bit of a soap opera style twist if they had her leave Jimmy for Lalo or even take his clients. It's a massive betrayal of all we've come to know about the character and would be beneath this show. It also wouldn't fit anything we know about what's going to happen: the first time we're introduced to Saul it's clear he's not fully rid of Lalo.

That's got me thinking: what if the final season goes full Westworld and we start intersecting multiple timelines, with BCS overlapping with BB as well as the post-BB plot they have to wrap up? We don't know and didn't ask much about Saul once he was introduced because all of our focus was on Walt and Jesse, he was just a player in their story. But he'd still have had an entire life going on outside of that and other loose ends could be tied up in the meantime, in fact the mention of Lalo and Nacho in BB suggests their loose end will still need to be tied up once the timelines sync up. It's a real and exciting possibility...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

incredible episode, the scene where Kim told Jimmy that she knew he was lying, but was there for him and he could come to him was brilliant.

She very clearly loves him, and the marriage is not just one of convenience - the fact that she hasn't to testify against him is a bonus of this, but she absolutely loves him. The breakdown to crying when she finally got his call from the desert also shows this.

But she's hard as nails too.

What a character.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

There's not a hope Kim joins the bloody cartel, come on! If she does, it would almost be a jump the shark moment.

Sure she likes pulling the odd scam with Jimmy, but for her to go from do good kim, Pro bono help the world to helping a murderous cartel would be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Great episode. Love Lalo: great charisma, like a menacing Burt Reynolds.

My prediction is this. Lalo saw something in Jimmy, but especially Kim, that he admires: willingness and ability to stick to a story and defend it, and also balls. He is going down to Mexico to convince Bolsa/the cartel, to hire Kim as their main lawyer for their American business, and to help them get legit business interests there. Jimmy will be great for their day to day criminal activity, but Kim is top drawer in comparison to Jimmy. Kim will think this exciting because she buys into the Bonnie & Clyde dynamic her and Jimmy have, but Jimmy knows the reality of this **** now, after all the carnage in the desert. He will want to protect Kim and keep her from getting too sucked in, so will end things with her, telling her he doesn't love her anymore (even though he does), and she leaves Albuquerque heart-broken and seeking a fresh start.

Also Mike is now looking like a kindly Freddie Krueger.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Thought the last scene in the apartment was the best part of the episode.
    They still haven't picked up again with the scene where "Jimmy" was working in the cafe, and the guys recognised him on his lunch break.
    No idea how this will end next week, and not sure how much more they can get out of the likes of Mike. He looks way older obviously in this.

My prediction is this. Lalo saw something in Jimmy, but especially Kim, that he admires: willingness and ability to stick to a story and defend it, and also balls. He is going down to Mexico to convince Bolsa/the cartel, to hire Kim as their main lawyer for their American business, and to help them get legit business interests there. Jimmy will be great for their day to day criminal activity, but Kim is top drawer in comparison to Jimmy. Kim will think this exciting because she buys into the Bonnie & Clyde dynamic her and Jimmy have, but Jimmy knows the reality of this **** now, after all the carnage in the desert. He will want to protect Kim and keep her from getting too sucked in, so will end things with her, telling her he doesn't love her anymore (even though he does), and she leaves Albuquerque heart-broken and seeking a fresh start.

I hate that this makes sense because, after this season has been so good, to have Kim break bad and join the cartel would just be a step too far and I think I'd hate it.

She knows and has irrefutable proof that Jimmy is lying about more happening down there. While I can see her being exhilarated by putting it up to Lalo, I can't see her willingly walking towards bullet holes. Now I can see Lalo being impressed by her and attempting to do just that, I can see her pondering it...but nah, it's just too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great episode. Love Lalo: great charisma, like a menacing Burt Reynolds.

Also Mike is now looking like a kindly Freddie Krueger.

Same as but I hate the undercurrent that exists whereby he's always one step behind Gustav.

Presumably we have an idea of his fate courtesy of Frings in Breaking Bad when he taunts Hector that he's the sole Salamanca living.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

wow, 2 fantastic top episodes back to back ... what a show!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well if story was to be kept precise somewhat, Gus and federal cartel guy both not wanting lalo around seems to suggest Gus might have open window to take lalo out and two keeping quiet to run smooth business giving Gus first revenge on Salamancas.

as in BB series before cartel guy was killed by raid he was onto Gus on the phone where he said smth the way he can be sneaky at orgainzing events when no one suspects.

Makes clear sense that if Lalo goes it will be joint effort where Gus might be protected as not even to suggest it was his doing, if lalo goes missing or killed.

As Nacho being given a chance to disappear would fall quite well where Jimmy would somehow make introduction to hoover guy, as Mike didnt agree with Gus not letting him out of the game, would prove some one off agreement to keep Mike more loyal, and thus quite credible since we know that Nacho was still on Jimmys mind in BB series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Beersmith

seligehgit wrote: »
    Same as but I hate the undercurrent that exists whereby he's always one step behind Gustav.

Presumably we have an idea of his fate courtesy of Frings in Breaking Bad when he taunts Hector that he's the sole Salamanca living.

or according to some on here, lalo marries kim and so impressed by her he also takes her surname! Yeah doubt any of that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

First time I am confused in BB/BCS universe, why the hell would Bolsa hire hitmen to take the $7M bail money, isn't he firmly on Lalo's side ?

First time I am confused in BB/BCS universe, why the hell would Bolsa hire hitmen to take the $7M bail money, isn't he firmly on Lalo's side ?

He wouldn't necessarily be "firmly" on Lalo's side. He and Hector would be on an even keel, and Lalo would be under Hector, while Gus would be under Bolsa. Bolsa stealing the money nets him 7mil, prevents Lalo from coming back to Mexico (which aids Bolsa's control down there) and protects Gus from Lalo (with Bolsa not knowing how Gus was working against Lalo). Bolsa probably thought if he stole the money from Saul, it wouldn't be traced back to him.

It's in-fighting within the Cartel, same way Hector is higher-ranking than Gus, but Gus doesn't work for Hector and Hector was trying to get rid of Gus.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

For a new character, Lalo is fantastic, so affably malevolent.

But everytime I see him, he physically reminds me so much of Matt Dillon's character in There's Something about Mary, Pat Healy I think it was.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Penn wrote: »
    He wouldn't necessarily be "firmly" on Lalo's side. He and Hector would be on an even keel, and Lalo would be under Hector, while Gus would be under Bolsa. Bolsa stealing the money nets him 7mil, prevents Lalo from coming back to Mexico (which aids Bolsa's control down there) and protects Gus from Lalo (with Bolsa not knowing how Gus was working against Lalo). Bolsa probably thought if he stole the money from Saul, it wouldn't be traced back to him.
    So what exactly is Gus trying to do in all this? Looks like he manipulated the situation to have Lola arrested, bailed and have him come back to Mexico but done in a far more subtle fashion than any gun fight. So Lalo leaves and then... Profit? No Lalo means Salamanca folds given Hector can't ding his bell through the whole thing?

ixoy wrote: »
    So what exactly is Gus trying to do in all this? Looks like he manipulated the situation to have Lola arrested, bailed and have him come back to Mexico but done in a far more subtle fashion than any gun fight. So Lalo leaves and then... Profit? No Lalo means Salamanca folds given Hector can't ding his bell through the whole thing?

We don’t fully know Gus’ plan yet, hence Mike saving Saul being a twist, though we can infer that he wanted Lalo back down in Mexico give they were ‘done’ with Nacho. I’d imagine this is something we’ll have fully explained either next week or next series as the story reaches its climax. Definitely don’t think we’re done with Gus vs Lalo.

ixoy wrote: »

Gus plotted to have Lalo arrested (or put him on the run so he leaves Albuquerque. Trouble is, it made Lalo suspect someone ratted him out, which put Nacho in danger. Gus feels it's more important to keep Nacho within the Salamanca's organisation as a mole rather than keep Lalo in prison (as Nacho might say Gus was forcing him to do it, and Lalo and the Salamanca's could still keep business going anyway). So Gus had Mike give Saul the info needed to help get Lalo back out of prison, knowing it'd at least lead to Lalo probably going back to Mexico and maybe leaving Nacho in charge (for a while at least).

It's why Gus doesn't want to let Nacho leave either. He's expended a lot trying to keep Nacho where he is and for Lalo to trust him, letting the DEA take the money from the drops Lalo had Krazy-8 tell Hank about, and helping Nacho torch his own restaurant.

There are other Salamancas, or they might have just had Nacho run things until Tuco gets out of prison. Gus doesn't want to take out the Salamancas yet as he's not in a position to properly take it over. But he still needs to hobble them as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,788 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

incredible episode, the scene where Kim told Jimmy that she knew he was lying, but was there for him and he could come to him was brilliant.

She very clearly loves him, and the marriage is not just one of convenience - the fact that she hasn't to testify against him is a bonus of this, but she absolutely loves him. The breakdown to crying when she finally got his call from the desert also shows this.

But she's hard as nails too.

What a character.

You would want to have a heart of stone not to have went 'awh'. When she went back for THAT tequila bottle cap from her desk.. It meant the world to her when it was just a game. Now she is in 'the game'. Amazing acting by Rhea Seehorn had to be so subtle throughout by looking like she is telling the truth/ignorant but holding a bit back.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Those last ten minutes were among the most tense in a TV Drama, ever!

Incredible TV. I think we best enjoy the last episode next week, I reckon it'll be the last BCS we see till 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

c030e79cb13c13efea9d65c627c4578f31a08be3.png

Interesting to see that viewership numbers have been falling each season when you could argue that it's been getting better each season

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Interesting to see that viewership numbers have been falling each season when you could argue that it's been getting better each season

Does that graph include Netflix viewers I wonder?

Advertisement