Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    What makes you think that's why I didn't think the first three episodes weren't that great? :confused: Episode four was the first episode I really enjoyed, and that had no double homicides.

I loved BB from the start, and many people considered the first season as slow.

I didn't mean to insinuate that.

Although, more generally, not every episode can be a Mike origin story with double murders so I wonder if people who thought it was "by far" the best epsiode so far will struggle to enjoy the rest of the series by comparison.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah, wasn't going to read anything into it though!

It wouldn't have been there if Vince Gilligan didn't want it spotted though :) he's an awful man.

Nah. BCS only got going in episode four so it's still lagging behind a bit and has yet to prove it can keep that momentum going.

I have to be honest, BCS opening few episodes have certainly been better than the opening episodes of BrBa. I'm hooked already but I'm not sure if it would be the same if it was a standalone show rather than a spin off.

I won't be comparing them because there is no need, we should all just appreciate how fantastic both shows are/were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I have to be honest, BCS opening few episodes have certainly been better than the opening episodes of BrBa.

For me, it's the other way round, BB five episodes in was far more consistently compelling for me.

As for lead guys, Odenkirk is pretty good but nothing on Bryan Cranston, acting-wise.

I'm also not yet convinced it would have worked as a standalone. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I can never understand how non-american actors get cast so often in American every show seems to be full of them, Is there a shortage of actress among-est the 300 million people in the Continental North America

Cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

BB's opening shots are a lesson to every writer that the first few lines are the most important. Let us remember how Walt was introduced to the world. After this you were hanging around however long to find out how the schoolteacher wound up in a gas mask and underpants with cops in hot pursuit.

BCS doesn't have that advantage. Bit like there can never be another Beatles. But it is trying its best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Best episode so far, really good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Did anybody else spot the fly on the black cops hand just before they got up and Jimmy spilled the coffee?

good spot...that fly was the sister of the fly that Walter was trying to kill in Breaking Bad...that Jess ended up killing....heartless bast&rd ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Custardpi wrote: »
    Yeah, & wrong admittedly. But no more implausible than yer man not noticing within a minute or so that his notebook had been lifted.

Its allot more implausible tho, how much coffee do ya reckon would have to be spilled on a note book before the info it held could not be retrieved. Its a cup of coffee not liquid hot magma, :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

i really really really really really really really hope there's an episode like that on Gus.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i really really really really really really really hope there's an episode like that on Gus.

The prospect of Gus appearing soon has become less likely with that episode. Mike is new in town. Saul is a chancer willing to take risks. Neither would be anywhere near the interest of Gus at this point. If anything he'd view one as an attention seeker and the other as just another hired gun on a very long list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

We kinda already got some of his backround in bb, But ya an episode with just Gus would be really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

For me, it's the other way round, BB five episodes in was far more consistently compelling for me.

As for lead guys, Odenkirk is pretty good but nothing on Bryan Cranston, acting-wise.

I'm also not yet convinced it would have worked as a standalone. We'll see.
    Saul is a more likeable character than Walter imho, easier to row in behind. One problem I had with breaking bad was that neither of the leads were likeable. Jessie was too weak willed and Walter was.... well Walter. In fact Mike was the only one who came out of it well.

The prospect of Gus appearing soon has become less likely with that episode. Mike is new in town. Saul is a chancer willing to take risks. Neither would be anywhere near the interest of Gus at this point. If anything he'd view one as an attention seeker and the other as just another hired gun on a very long list.

Maybe the vet knows Gus or is a business acquaintance.

Gus is so far off the street that he won't make it in this season. The vet is certainly a connection in the right direction.
    Mike not taking the heavy meds and saying "I'm a dispirin man" when offered Vicodin is a notch in his favour. Scoring a vet on day one in town and not looking for work is also a point in his favour.
    All I'm saying is with season two already commissioned and I'm sure they're typing season three up as we speak there's no need to play the ace yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Next season, maybe in s3 if they go that far.

yeah i wasn't expecting gus this season anyway, though you'd think he'll feature sometime with mike. saying that i rather most of the BB faces to stick cameos & let BCS be it's own show

a bit of gus' past was revealed but the
    "i know who you are" line by the cartel boss
    bugs me a bit :pac: that's why i want to see it.

i'm going from memory here but
    after that meeting with the cartel, they wanted nothing to do with gus or meth. so in the time between that & BB, gus has established himself as serious player in the US, he needed help to do that & a good enforcer is a must. perhaps mike was with gus on the way back up to the cartels line of sight.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Saul is a more likeable character than Walter imho, easier to row in behind. One problem I had with breaking bad was that neither of the leads were likeable. Jessie was too weak willed and Walter was.... well Walter. In fact Mike was the only one who came out of it well.

hankbeer.jpg?itok=RwC22tFA

^ they're not rocks, they're minerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Jesus Chist, Marie.

Apparently people keep throwing pizzas on the roof of Walt's house in NM, heh...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Gus might be coming sooner than you think! ;)

s0GcpLK.png

^ Assuming Giancarlo isn't drunk or stoned out of his tap dancing feet, should mean a season 2 appearance. I'd imagine they're shooting that now or maybe booking for season 3.
    Go the man, half a head. Though I would never say that to the gentleman's ehhhm.....face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Brilliant last episode, it's great seeing more depth to Mike and why he's so dead inside.

Just like breaking bad it seems to be the kind of show that gets better and better as it goes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

the_monkey wrote: »
    I hope they sort it out soon, the whole Chuck thing I find tedious.

Has anyone noticed the similarity between Chuck's situation/condition and "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet" by Stephen King?

Or maybe it's been flagged already, in which case, please disregard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Fantastic episode, way better then Saul/Chuck episodes .. should be called The Mike Show ..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Best episode so far I think. Real contrast between slapstick Jimmy dressed as Matlock to cold blooded cop killer Mike. Was almost like a different tv show altogether compared to the previous episodes.

Really looking forward to next week now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Really enjoyed that, but its about time some interesting stuff happened. I really thought by now all hell would be breaking loose, other episodes were pretty dam slow, still good, but I was expecting more madness by now

Zascar wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that, but its about time some interesting stuff happened. I really thought by now all hell would be breaking loose, other episodes were pretty dam slow, still good, but I was expecting more madness by now

Looking back in hindsight, nothing spectacular happened in the first season of BrBa either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Looking back in hindsight, nothing spectacular happened in the first season of BrBa either.

Not until the end of it anyways. Say by ep9 here **** will really go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Um, by now Walt had already gotten cancer, killed two people, and blown up Tuco's hideout.

Breaking Bad's first season was not remotely as 'slow' as this has been so far.

Advertisement