Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

That is what I meant.

it is these “oh God, did Lalo send you …” moments that add to a character in a show . You usually don’t find out what they are about but they are fun.

I didn’t mean to suggest that there was a also a backstory for Lalo & Ignacio or that any thoughts was given to his wives. I just meant that as they were writing they must have had a file for Saul, Mike, etc.

As I’m here on backstory, Fring is out to get Hector because Hector murdered his friend Max. I know this character hasn’t been in this show but is this something that was detailed in Breaking Bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah there was a flashback to Gus and Max meeting with Hector, Bolsa and Don Eladio.

Have you watched Breaking Bad? It was a pretty big, maybe 15 minute scene in a key episode about Gus. Not really forgettable.

Anybody else gone off this? I was able to put up with how slow it was before but the last season kinda ruined it for me. That plot line about building the lab was so pointless that I'm starting to see more and more stuff as over indulgent. I feel like I'm watching it out of loyalty and I rarely feel like putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭Tork

I found the first two episodes of this season tough going. I don't know if that's down to the pacing of the episodes or me not having watched BCS for 2 years and not remembering everything. It picked up after that and the series gave us some great moments. Apart from Nacho and Howard's demises, I was really taken with Lalo's trip to Germany. Sure, it was a bit contrived how he managed to meet Werner's widow but what followed was superb. We got to see Lalo almost charm Werner's widow into bed, and then we feared for little Barchen and his owner. Tony Dalton has been an inspired addition to BCS and maybe a shot in the arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

while entirely different characters , I saw similarities between Howard and Nachos exit , both were pegging truth bombs prior to exiting , neither the cartel guys and Gus or Jimmy and Kim could deny to themselves the truth of what was said to them by Nacho and Howard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Deleted/Extended scene from S3 - Hector and Crew Visit Los Pollos Hermanos

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Odenkirk (Saul) - Seehorn (Kim) - Fabian (Howard) discuss S6 E7

https://youtu.be/5ljQ3kLzKss

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What's Lalo's next move 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 28,467 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No,the complete opposite.

I think it's the best thing on at the moment and it's going to be remembered as a classic.This "slowness" that people refer to annoys me. It's a drama not a Marvel action show. The "slowness" is character development, scene setting etc and it's what makes the show so good.

Scratching my head as to your opinion on the lab building being pointless? How when it costs lives, is still relevant this season and is important in BB?

Maybe this show just isn't for you.

Post edited by murpho999 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

It was a hell of an ending Like most it seems I thought at the first shot of the candle it would be Lalo at the door. Once he did arrive it was obvious ooor old Howard was @ goner.

One plot point that did jar with me just a little. Howard explained how Jimmy set up the fake PI by calling HM to update their records with the fake number. But how did he know Howard would hire a PI ?

• Advertisement

Yeah Lalo is excellent in fairness. I'm starting to find him to be the only captivating character unfortunately. Even Gus Fring has lost his mystery and villainy.

Regarding the lab plot line, I seem to recall I wasn't the only person on here to find it tedious and questioned why the story even needed to be told. Some German guy had to be killed. Who will build the lab now. Pretty much anyone else will do. The slowness is something I previously had no problem putting up with. At the start of the last episode we had Lalo in a sewer for a few minutes. Half of that could have been left on the cutting room floor. So many scenes are drawn out like that. I don't see how that is developing a character further to be honest. I can't stand Marvel if that makes a difference.

Finished up the last episode and find myself agreeing with Howard when he was asking Jimmy "Why?". The whole feud seems so contrived. I wanna know what happens at this stage without having to sit through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The thing about Gus is the ageing I think - I get too distracted with how much older the younger Gus looks :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find most of the overarching 'plot' stuff generally interesting and compelling, but what brings me back season after season is the pacing and rhythm of each episode. There's nothing on television that has such a distinctive 'feel' and flow to each episode - slow-burn yet still fitting in lots of cool scenes and forward momentum into each hour. It always gives scenes - from the most action-packed to the lighter, trivial asides - space to breathe, and as I said earlier in the thread each episode feels satisfying and complete as its own little experience as well as another chapter in a serial. It's a particular characteristic I think only a handful of great shows manage to pull off correctly - The Sopranos or Mad Men spring to mind, although again BCS's particular tone defies direct comparison. It's not the only way to tell a great story on TV or anything like that, but it is damn effective when pulled off correctly.

Barry is one ongoing show that has some of that same magic, although given that's a 20-30 minute show and more overtly comedic it does so in a very different way. Atlanta too, although (and I haven't seen the latest season yet) that's far less concerned with the serialised side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A theory as to how it goes down, why on earth does Gus have to hide a gun when he is on his own turf. You were saying it was obvious what was going to happen, I thought it obvious he was going to turn off lights, count steps etc, but have not a notion as to why. I already said it before.

"Like why does Gus not just carry a gun? it already showed he has them hidden on his body. If drawing Lalo in why not have a sharp shooting henchman/men lying in wait, along with his own gun(s), why risk his own life? Is he expecting to set up a meeting and both parties and be patted/frisked down by some intermediary (could even be Jimmy!). If he does he has to be sure to end up in the correct position."

Good nature v nurture BCS thoughts here. ‘Wolves v Sheep’.

Interestingly, the narrator has never seen BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,340 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Assume its going to be set up where he welcomes him in, shows him there's no gun, no henchmen lying in wait so he's safe. Then a flick of the switch and out comes the gun.

Assuming the theory is correct that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

My post was just waffle, and editing it made it worse 🙃.

Will return when I have something interesting (in my own head) to say.

Couldn't see how to just delete the darn post.....

Post edited by NickNickleby on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"Better Call Saul - Mike De-Aged"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeH5_-4xkfE

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Enjoyed all the previous seasons, resubbed to netflix today and binge watched season 6, found myself losing interest and skipping scenes from the first episode. It all seems stupid and completely arbitrary in terms of plot and character motivations.

Fan theory that ‘Jeff’ the taxi driver and the Albuquerque car airfresher are linked to Kim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,625 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

For me this is as good as breaking bad !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's the idea for the huge break between episodes? Almost forgotten what's happened already.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Something about catching two Emmy award ceremony eligibilities I think

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Anyone else think Howard was just pretending to be dead ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Maybe. He definitely wouldn't have wanted to get mixed up in whatever Lalo is involved in. He needs that like he needs a hole in the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭bren2001

There were production delays. To get the season out on time, they needed to put a break in. It was AMCs suggestion. Covered in the BCS Insider podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gladerunner

Am i right in saying that Jimmy thought Lalo was dead, but Mike had told Kim in the coffee shop that Lalo was still alive and he was telling her because she seemed the smarter of the two.

Will she end up having to tell Jimmy...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭RickBlaine

I've been rewatching Breaking Bad and the scene in the final season where Mike has to abandon Kaylee in the playground because the DEA is coming for him hits a lot harder now after BCS given all the extra time we've seen them together.

It also puts into context Mike's anger at Walter for ruining the good thing they had with Gus's operation given the huge amount of work that Mike put into building the lab and (presumably) defeating Lalo.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

It's a good show overall but at times they do dwell way too much on things that don't matter and often neglect what does. Howard being married is the sort of thing that should have been revealed years ago. It's an important detail about a major character and it wasn't some hidden away secret. That 1984 flashback of Kim with her mother is another thing that should have shown much earlier.. It's very well made but I don't think the characters are as well developed as Breaking Bad even though that supposed to be one of BCS's strong points.

Also Howard finding out Jimmy was responsible for the HHM insurance issues and everything that led to was a much better way to set up the final season which Howard trying to take down Jimmy than the confused story they went with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Advertisement