Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

S6 E9 'Fun and Games' will probably go down as one as favourite episodes of the series. There were so many subtleties in it. Nothing hit you over the head. All helped by superb acting.

The montage at the start while only 6 minutes was packed full with info and nuggets for the viewer to take in. The juxtaposition of the two partnerships that 'are bad for each other was cleverly done as well. Mike and Gus v Kim and Jimmy. One team realises it is the price of business, as does the other. Half of each team has a member who shows more humanity and heart. Jimmy/Mike. The other is ruthless and when called upon does not know where the line is - Gus/Kim. It is the main reason Kim wanted out she could she what she would end up becoming.

As an aside can anyone place the client with Kim in the Montage? The character looked familiar but I could not place him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Called the time jump 😎

Great episode. Odenkirk gets some of the best material he’s had this season, but god Rhea Seehorn just keeps knocking it out of the park. One of the all-time great TV performances just keeps getting better and better.

Makes sense that the Kim / Jimmy relationship has more ground beyond the main BCS timeframe, so excited to see what the last four episodes bring. Really quite unusual to see any show resolve many of its main conflicts so early and have five whole episodes to focus on the aftermath and refocus on the central relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Great episode. Finally Jimmy and Kim had a real scene together, although it could have been stretched out longer. I'm excited to see where it goes now in the last 4 episodes. Hopefully it stays in BB/post BB timeline.

My prediction is that Jimmy/Saul/Gene will finally turn himself in for his crimes, and give up running. He may also confess to his part in the death of Howard. Final scene Jimmy in jail for his crimes, and he gets a visitor: Kim. Or she decides to become a lawyer again and defends him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Was anyone else expecting Walt to show up at the end of that episode?

I was fully expecting Saul to buzz in his next client, and Walt to come in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well they announced months ago that Walt and Jessie will show up… makes a lot more sense now how that will be possible :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Yep, I was half expecting that first scene when Walt arrived at his office.

The public masturbation line was a nice nod to BB and Badger too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah I was waiting for Walt to lean forward coughing in the waiting room.

Didn't think we'd get much of BB-era in Better Call Saul, I just assumed we'd get before and after. Obviously now we're going to get maybe an episode or two, before another time jump to Gene.

Regardless, what a tremendous episode. Really capped everything off beautifully and tragically. Loved the Mike scene, and even Gus in the restaurant just fed into his character so well. But nothing could beat Jimmy and Kim, and in particular Rhea Seehorn's performance. I'm more interested in seeing her future than Jimmy/Saul/Gene.

Post edited by Penn on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Don’t rule out Walt appearing as a force ghost in the Gene timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

According to some, we're still three years short of the BB timeline. The tag on the 'LWYRUP' license plate says Nov 05 whereas BB starts in '08.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Well, that was excellent. In typical BCS style I didn't want the episode to end, just keep going with the imagery, plots, clues, camera angles, the conversations, the clothes, the cars, the tacky architecture, the coffee cups, the Spanish language, the even better camera angles of the smallest detail; Gus looking in the pool and the camera in the pool looking up, remembering his brother I assumed, and so on and on ...christ I love it . The scene at the Howard's remembrance, brilliant, kym's performance and we knew she had had enough of the lying.

Don Hector and the bell. Brilliant.

The opening montage, come on. Bloody Google music finder couldn't even find the song for me.

Top class television

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Nearly thought Kim was going to tell Howard's wife what really happened.

That was a proper stinger from Nacho's auld lad to Mike.

Good to see Skinny Pete at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Missed Skinny Pete. Where was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Brother? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it his lover who was killed?

Bit of a difference there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Yeah, I looked it up there, Max was definitely not his brother so I'd remembered that wrong.

It's been a long time. I should really roll straight into Breaking Bad when this finishes.

In fairness, they were 'The Chicken Brothers'. But yeah, definitely not actual brothers. It's always been something that's been heavily hinted at rather than actually explained or seen. Even the scene in this episode with the wine guy is hinting that Gus is gay and romantically interested in him and Gus feels free now being in public again with the Salamancas off his back, but he ends up not pursuing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

For a second there I thought it was going to be an episode without dialogue from Kim. It was very up close and personal and full of confrontation, not many stand up to Mike. I did like the visual of that scene about Nacho, two guys and a fence. Also the weight of grief and departures - Kim no longer being an attorney definitely led to a WTF? from me. And again the visual, all whilst standing just under the scales of justice. It would hurt Saul more to know she's out of reach than dead, imo. The rest was shattering - the Lalo bombshell and 'bad for each other'.

'Let justice be done though the heavens fall' was in one of the teasers.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The song in the montage. Dresage and Slow Shiver - Perfect Day, a Harry Nilsson cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

One of the all time great TV episodes IMO, completely held my attention form the opening to closing credits.

Each of the (remaining) main characters got some sort of closure or a transition into what they ultimately become. Also the parting of ways between Jimmy and Kim was perfect - so short and ultimately brutal in a "ne cruel to be kind" way. Kim admitting she knew Lalo was alive was a betrayal (of sorts) to Jimmy. Part of me wonders if we'll ever see Kim again - and I think I'd like the mystery of that tbh.

The scene between Mike and Nacho's father was great. Mike sitting at home alone, probably consumed with guilt and wonder about his won son, naively thinks his form of justice will be closure to Nacho's dad. Nacho's dad deliver a strong rebuttal and the clash of the two worlds is obvious. Nacho's dad doesn't care for revenge, he just wants his son back.

I thought the Gus scene at the restaurant was great. Finally confirming Gus is gay, but also perhaps showing a sensitive side behind the evil. I wonder did he "spare" the waiter/sommelier by understanding that if he allowed him into his world, it would ultimately lead to his death? He wanted it, but ultimately he's so focused on his business that he wouldn't allow a fling or a romance to get in his way. Esposito was incredible (as almost always) in that scene.

Will likely rewatch again tonight for anything I missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Ye the fecking episode nearly made me drop a tear last night, that broke up scene is so so sad - so many moments from the past seasons flashbacks in my mind during their last scene - and then followed by time skipped to Saul's empty and soulless life without Kim. And of course all that mirrors to Mike-Gus pair - and they made everything happened so smoothly and without much words.

Masterful, all the past seasons of characters/stories development really paid off.

I felt empty when the credit rolls 😭

And ye oh i can't wait for the next remaining episodes they will show us - technically 'BCS' concluded in this episode9 - i am sure we will get some nice treats, come on post-BCS/BB timeline brings them on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,036 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Excellent, the back story was over and I love how it just jumped forward to the Saul as we knew him in BB.

Now can someone explain to me the scene with Fring at the wine bar? There is obviously some message I am missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Jesus, that was far more brutal an episode than the past two. Absolutely incredible television, and a sense of feeling utterly empty in that split second transition to Kim walking away, and waking up in the mansion!

There really are no words to describe how much of a gut punch that must have been for Jimmy! But conveyed so well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭McGrath5

What an episode, didn't want it to end. I loved the meeting with Gus, Hector & co in Mexico. The sight of Hector been carried away ringing the bell meant he was been carried into obscurity.

The jump from Jimmy to Saul I didn't see coming, his life now full of material possessions but at the same time empty without Kim.

I can't wait for these last few episodes, brilliant television.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

That, after Max, he is completely unable to have any type of relationship or even friendship anymore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Professionally ruthless and ruthlessly professional. Gus lives for his career, regardless of personal sacrifices.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,610 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I was more leaning towards the wine story and it being saved for a special occasion which pushes Gus to get immediately back to work on the lab and plotting against Don Eladio, he allowed (or maybe didn't allow but it happened anyway) himself a brief moment and that was it.

It's a combination of a few things.

Gus feels free enough to get back outside and enjoy some of his small pleasures, now that Lalo is dead and Eladio has backed him over the Salamancas and suspicion is off him in general.

It also seems like he's attracted to the wine guy and wanted to meet him again. But the story the guy told about the wine, and particularly the smell of iron in the soil due to blood in the soil where the wine is grown, makes Gus realise that he still has to stay focused and motivated in his quest to kill Eladio and the Salamancas, and therefore getting into a relationship or similar would be a distraction, and could also lead to someone else he loves getting hurt.

Gus is a man of extreme dedication, focus and will. He allowed himself a brief meet up with the wine guy to release some of the pressure inside by how close Lalo came to taking him down, but he realises he has to stay focused.

Overall it really just does two things; confirm Gus is gay and shows why he doesn't have a family or personal relationships in Breaking Bad, and also shows the dedication in foregoing a chance at a relationship due to how focused he is on his revenge against Eladio and the Salamancas, and ultimately becoming top of the food chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

If I remember correctly in Breaking Bad, when Walt went to Gus' home for dinner, there was children's toy in the house. Was there ever a reason given? From what I remember the camera angles seemed to intentional want to bring the toys to the attention of the audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Don Eladio.....ding ding ding ding ding, so funny

Advertisement