Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Better Call Saul Actors - Then and Now

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Gawd, young Saul is almost a ringer for one of my sons. No wonder I'm so concerned for him.😨. However, the good news is I can tell my son how he's going to look in 30 years. And that he'll be on the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

AMC showing the the last two episodes back to back before the finale at 2am

Bloody ads are annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

Anyone else remember Jonathon Banks from a show called Wiseguy back in the 80’s ? It was about an undercover cop in the Mafia and Jonathon played his police handler. Good show at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,032 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Saul will be sitting in a diner, don't stop believing by journey will be playing, Kim will be outside parking her car, she'll come in, Saul will look up and it will go to black and then to credits.

Fin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I've been expecting Chuck to appear in an episode all season but I'm not sure if it's going to happen now.

Watching live excellent so far

That must have passed me by. Found a clip of it assume they got the year wrong on the you tube clip, because ‘Wiseguy’ ended in 1990 apparently.

I will have to watch the series at some stage.

Well I was very happy how it ended fantastic show!

Feel sad now as it's been a great journey and it's all over now 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Great finale. Really it was the only way things could have ended.

Saul was never going to go out in a big shootout. The show which dealt so much with the legal system had to end within the legal system, with Saul finally taking responsibility (even if it was more for Kim's sake than his own conscience).

I loved the scene with Walt. I'm guessing that Jimmy's regret about the time he actually slipped while pulling a con is more to do with him recognising that's when he truly became Slippin' Jimmy, and ultimately led him down the road he found himself on. The final shot was just perfect too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They did it. They nailed the landing.

The Breaking Bad finale is fine, but it always felt... tidier than the show itself. This I think did a much better job of bringing together six seasons worth of characterisation and plotting. Indeed, it primarily did that by dealing with large swathes of the plot nearly a half dozen episodes ago :)

To end it all on another smoke break between Jimmy & Kim, after Jimmy finally semi-redeemed himself in front of Kim by doing the right thing for once and Kim snuck her way into a prison visit... can't think of anything more apt than that for the extraordinary relationship the writers, directors and actors established over the show's run. It's not exactly a clean, happy ending for either of them... but it felt right, which is much more important. One of those final shots, of the vast gap between the pair of them in the prison yard... a quietly heartbreaking and yet satisfying note to end on.

And of course Jimmy got one last chaotic court scene to bow out on. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I know the team have already had two endings to Breaking Bad now between that show's own finale and El Camino... but funny enough it sort of feels like they've now finally put a satisfying lid on the whole epic with this episode. There was always something missing or slightly underwhelming for me about the way that show wrapped up (even with a full epilogue film) but the way they wove in the characters and threads here felt just right in the end. And yet above all it was the ending Better Call Saul deserved. It's been one of the best shows ever made for a while now... and not many great shows get a final season as perfectly-judged as this one. A triumph.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Really liked that. Can't necessarily say I *enjoyed* it because it was quite a heavy episode especially with bringing back Marie which was a lovely surprise actually. But I certainly appreciated where Jimmy and Kim ended up. 

I liked that Kim came out of her shell and dipped her feet back into the legal world. Possibly the first step to becoming a lawyer again. I'm a little confused as to whether she is still vulnerable to a civil suit from Howard's widow?

Vince and Peter have often said that the Breaking Bad universe often involves facing the consequences of your actions so prison is the most appropriate place for Jimmy. Tracking his character journey through BCS definitely makes him a tragic character. He came quite close to having a good elder law practice and spending his life with Kim which would have been a very nice life indeed compared to where he ended up.

I never expected Kim or Jimmy to die in this season.

The only complaint is I would have liked to have seen more of Jimmy's decision making process on the plane to confess to everything. Nothing flashy, perhaps just an extended close up on Bob's face and let his facial expressions do the work, maybe also intercut with a flashback to Kim and Jimmy at some point to provide further context.

I suspect people who expected fireworks similar to Felina will be disappointed. The show is different and the second half of this season was never headed in that direction.

In fact, you could argue that the episode where Kim and Jimmy break up is the finale to BCS, and the remaining episodes is a coda to the entire BCS / BrBa universe.

I did think when Kim showed up as Saul's lawyer at the ending that she may have got her license back, until she said she used an old ID without an expiry date. Thinking about it after, I am guessing that even though no charges were brought against her, she gave false testimony to the police about Howard's death. Even if Howard's widow didn't sue her I think that would prevent her from getting her law license back. Maybe she's continued just helping out at the free legal services place doing secretarial work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The most insane take I've seen in any conversation regarding Breaking bad or BCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

A satisfactory ending to a great show, looking forward to rewatching it from start to finish at some point.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It was a satisfactory ending and tied everything up nicely with no questions left, there were some nice scenes and flashbacks throughout the episode, but I'd be lying if I said I was blown away by the episode. The show probably peaked this season with the deaths of Howard and Lalo and the following episodes really felt more so for closure to the story.

A brilliant show from start through to finish and will miss it now that it's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

F**k me, that was brilliant TV, beautifully shot as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,395 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I do understand why some consider the show as having 'ended' with the Lalo / Howard episodes, but I do think these final few were much more than a simple epilogue. I don't think Kim leaving Jimmy is the full ending of their respective stories or indeed their relationship, whereas these final few did bring their story - very much the heart and soul of the entire show - to a satisfying, convincing close. I don't think the arc of their relationship completely works without their bittersweet reunion here... and I certainly don't think Kim's story ends without her finding some way, however small, out of her self-imposed purgatory. The wrap-up here works perfectly IMO.

Just started listening to the Insider podcast for the final episode and Bob Odenkirk specifically talks about the lack of fireworks compared to Felina as does Peter Gould (the show runner). As Bob puts it, BrBa ends with a roomful of nazis being gunned down by a spring loaded machine gun whereas BCS ends with people talking. But that is the world of Saul / Jimmy vs Walter White.

Watching it live was a pain with the ad breaks every 5 minutes although it did extend my time with Jimmy and the gang.

Loved the flashback with Mike and the whole time machine discussion, he first said the date to go back to stop his sons murder then stops and changes his mind and goes back to him taking his first bribe as that ultimately lead to his son getting killed. Also sad he he would. Jump a few years forward to make sure his grand daughter and her mother were doing ok. That scene made me sad and it should Mike's softer side Jimmy isn't truthful and goes on about making money.

What we thought would be Gene on the run from the cops for most of the episode ended up with him hiding in a dumpster. Btw lot of foreshadowing was presented in the episode where the fbi raid Saul's house the cutout of Jimmy was dumped into a dumpster I think the painting from the apartment with Howard's blood on it and the time machine book were shown in that episode.

Have to laugh at Saul reading the graffiti "My lawyer will ream your ass" on the cell and it reminded him of Bill Oakley .

It was a pleasant surprise to see Marie make an appearance and also Steve's wife at the court case.

Saul used her to practice his victim of Walter White story and the FBI could see the story would work on a jury and he negotiated it down to 7 years.

The scene with Walt was excellent it showed Walt just was just bad didn't want to talk about time machines had no regrets of what he did to cause deaths and cook meth more bothered about giving up his company. He also made the cutting line when Saul tells his story about slipping he just says "So you've always been like this"

Saul was put out when he hears about Kim confessing to her involvement in discrediting Howard. If you remember the phone call with Gene she says why don't you hand yourself in and he replies well why don't you and she actually follows through plus the threat of Kim being sued for everything by Howard's widow so decided to do the right thing and put it all on him.

It was great to see the end of Saul and James McGill during the court case. Funny thet Bill wasn't allowed to resign as Jimmy's lawyer.

Also loved the scene on the prison bus with everyone chanting Better Call Saul, you could see the little smile on Jimmy's face, he was going to be ok in Prison as he would have been respected for representing all the criminals. And he basically dong the same job in the kitchen as he was in the Cinnabun.

I think Kim by volenteering at the legal aid place is finally getting her life back.

The last few scenes with Jimmy and Kim put me over the edge, see them leaning against the wall sharing a cigarette and again the end of the cigarette glowing red in colour again the black and white. Saul giving her the pistol salute with his hands in the exercise yard, but she did covertly make the same solute back to him as she left.

It's kind of open to interpretation if she will continue to visit him which I hope I'd the case or that was the last time she visits Jimmy. I would like to think that she will continue to visit him. But I suppose we won't know unless Peter Gould says something.

Overall a great show loved from Season 1 to the end of Season 6. I think it is better then Breaking Bad in my opinion. I'm sorry to see the end of this universe and such well written characters.

Who is up for a show following Jimmy's adventures in Prison? I know I would be.

• Advertisement

Yeah BCS was always a show about Jimmy and Kim and about how Jimmy became Saul. All the Mike/Gus/Nacho/Salamancas stuff played into that in terms of how Jimmy became Saul and added greater context to the characters of Mike & Gus and their place in Breaking Bad, but it was never the central focus of the show. It makes sense that that side of things ended a few episode early, and then the show was able to focus just on where Jimmy and Kim end up, as they were the only ones who survived post-BB (not including the Jesse side of things in El Camino).

I think people complaining about the lack of excitement in the last few episodes don't remember the lack of excitement in the first two seasons. It was really Nacho taking on a bigger role and then the introduction of Lalo that brought things to that stage, but because of BB we all knew where Mike & Gus were heading and that they'd survive. The show was almost always slower than BB and was never headed towards an explosive finale, especially as we knew the ending would be post-BB in a world without Mike, Gus & the Salamancas. From the start of this final season the main questions related to Jimmy & Kim, and Nacho, and Nacho's ending was already dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

this was saying otherwise about Kim returning the "finger pistols". I rewatched it and could not see anything.

The whole production section is a very good read

"Odenikirk and Seehorn both said that another take of the scene exists where Kim returns the gesture of Saul shooting finger guns at her. However, Gould felt that this could be interpreted as Kim going back to her old ways, so he chose to leave it out. Seehorn felt that the scene that made the final cut signified the bond that existed between the two characters and the part that is still true"

I thought the episode was great, but found the bus chant scene was a bit odd, too surreal, I thought it was some dream sequence or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Probably the most consistently great TV show I've watched, every season was excellent imo, season 5 was the peak for me. Nice ending aswell, can't complain.

One wayward observation: while it would have been fine if the only Walt / Jesse scene was the one in episode 11, I thought it was great how they wove both characters in for their big scenes with Jimmy and Kim in the final two episodes. They really made the thematic links and contrasts between the two series much clearer, becoming more than just a fun little cameo.

The 'time travel' conversations in this episode worked particularly well. A rare moment of almost vulnerability for Mike; and in the Walt scene a great insight into how cut off BB-era Saul was from Jimmy (Walt looking at him with just disdain). But beautifully tied together in the Jimmy / Chuck scene - one defined by them not talking properly, and a little bit devastating when you see that shot of The Time Machine cover.

I especially liked how Walter cut through the BS and immediately got to the heart of the matter which is regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The finale was as close to perfection as they could get, wrapped everything up neatly and gave us a believable conclusion.

I’m also dying to know just how good that Blue Bell Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream really is.

One thing in the Walt scene when Saul asks him about any regrets he looks at the watch Jesse gave him so he had some guilt over what happened to Jesse

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Saw this from Bob on what he thinks happens with Jimmy in prison and his relationship with Kim. I think he is right.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed the finale. But my one ‘regret’ in the finale was we did not get the REAL reason why Walt left ‘Grey Matter’. Which would have answered the key question to the two series,

Advertisement