Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

I forgot that BCS started in black and white with Gene in Cinnabon. Hadn’t appreciated the full circle back to this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

When was the first appearance of Gene/ Cinnabon - it must have been in Breaking Bad at some point.....I remember thinking, wtf is this about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah - producers had a choice there and could have gone either way with the character; and decided to go one way where with Walt they decided to go another way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was the first episode of Better Call Saul. The last we see of Saul in Breaking Bad is in the basement of the Vacuum Repair guy, where Saul was hiding out with Walt. Saul mentions that if he was lucky he'd end up managing a Cinnabon in Nebraska, indicating that this was the new identity and location that the Vacuum Repair guy was going to set him up with. So the first time we see him in Better Call Saul as Gene in black and white, it's in a Cinnabon, so it shows that it's post-Breaking Bad in his new identity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Any update on Jeff? Has he gone the way of Huell? Did Marion bail him out?

I hate how BCS couldn't bring closure to the important story threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Marion and Jeff would have testified against Gene/Saul (especially once he was caught as there was no point trying to protect him), and Saul would have admitted to his role as part of his plea deal.

Jeff probably got a short sentence with Saul taking most of the blame, probably even got community service or something rather than jail time if he agreed to testify against Saul (which ended up not being needed as Saul struck a deal and confessed).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,564 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Depends what your measure of importance is. I wasn't really bothered by that.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I just picked an episode I thought was the funniest. The one to get Huell reduced time. The church scam. Coushatta S4 E8.

But it had so much more than that packed into the episode. Mike/Werner - Kim/Jimmy scheming becoming part of their relationship. Nacho looking to exit the game. But Lalo appears in the kitchen.

There was a bonus in it as well, the actor who plays Nelix in Star Trek made an appearance (Ethan Phillips) as a judge. They packed so much in an episode.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

In-depth interview with Vince talking about the final season. Rich and his co presenter really where fans of the show and asked some great questions. Some great insights to the episodes including the comforting hand touching Kim on the bus was Vince's wife and the bits of colour in the cigarette was a sign of hope for Jimmy and Kim.

Also interesting to hear Better Call Saul was going to be a 30 minute comedy show with Saul dealing wit the weird clients coming through his door.

Vince just seems like a modest down to earth likeable guy

Post edited by Snake Plisken on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Mike Tribute ❤️😥

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It was a great show but a terrible ending. It just didn't make sense. He should have ended up in jail, but for him to negotiate 7 years then throw it all away in what is essentially a big romantic gesture is ridiculous. Through the entire series, Jimmy/Saul was very clever in how he manipulated situations - it makes no sense that he would throw away the remainder of his life just to prove a point to Kim - he surely would have come up with a much better, long-term, win-win plan to try win her back or move in with

It would have made more sense if he had negotiated the settlement but Kim's affidavit had somehow negated that. Meaning he would have to face the full extent of law and the consequences of his own actions. Instead, he almost got away with it, but sacrificed himself for some greater good - which is so uncharacteristic it doesn't make sense.

It was a pious and noble outcome for an ultimately sleazy character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

What a fantastic ending, so well written, acted, shot

Loved it. Great show, great ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Overall it was a great series, one of the best ever and as a whole season 6 was incredible, but...

I always found Saul to be an utterly unredeemable character, so how he got his comeuppance didn't make sense, he got what he deserved but giving himself up and turning down a 7 year deal just doesn't fit the character, I don't think that can be argued...Saul was a monster, maybe not in the Walt/Fring way, but a monster nonetheless, so why the change all of a sudden? he'd been estranged from Kim for years so I find it hard to believe he'd just have a sudden change of heart out of nowhere because of his love for her.

I think the end was fitting for him, it's just how he got there that didn't work for me, but overall as I said it was an incredible ride, one of the best series I've ever watched and ranks well up there with the best ever in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

We spent almost 6 full seasons with the good, bad and grey of Jimmy McGill. Saul was certainly a long way removed from Jimmy until the fallout from Howard's fate, but that man was obviously still in there. The man who blew up the sandpiper case initially because he had ruined an old woman's social circle. This same man found himself very close to killing another old woman... until he realised he couldn't do that either.

Couple that with Kim following through on his bravado about confessing to the police, and having finally been caught, he did some soul searching with his 3 ghosts of Christmas past.

I've had some of those concerns too, but it's in keeping with Jimmy McGill to do the right thing, even if it's long after the horse has bolted. Perhaps Kim being willing to forgive him his years as Saul is the hardest thing to figure out, but they have so much history, and he admitted his burying his head in the sand about the psychological trauma he'd suffered between Chuck initially, and then Howard and Kim leaving. So if anyone was going to understand that, it was Kim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's a tv show. Loads of people would have liked Saul and he is presented in such a way where you know he's flawed but at same time you know there's a good guy there. At least that's how I viewed the character. Seeing him find his humanity was cliche but I felt it was for those who really liked the character despite all of his flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

That’s the way I saw it too. I always saw Jimmy as a likeable rogue, perhaps pushed down the wrong path by Chucks treatment. The ending was obviously him finding redemption, which was a valid enough choice by the writers I think. I can appreciate that people thinks it’s a stretch that he would have given up the favourable deal he’d negotiated, but I’d forgive the writers that. It’s possibly just as unlikely that he would have been able to negotiate such a good deal in the first place. But if they hadn’t written it that way, then he’d have had nothing to sacrifice, therefore nothing to redeem himself with. I think what was also clever of the writers was in the second last episode, when it looked for a brief moment that he was going to go completely over the edge and murder Carol Burnetts character (can’t remember her name). Perhaps realising what he’d al almost done was also a factor in his later actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭dmn22

I think the whole point is that if he was to do the 7 years it would show Kim he hasn't changed and he's still that Slippin Jimmy/Saul sleazy conman character who always gets away with it and she wouldn't respect or want to be with him.

He makes the gesture because he wants to prove he has changed to her even though by doing that, they'll still never be together properly.

It's a lose-lose situation for Jimmy,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,629 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Apparently they were going to make Kim do the 'finger guns salute' back to Jimmy. But the writers thought that it would make it look too ambiguous. With Kim returning to her old ways etc.

https://screenrant.com/better-call-saul-series-finale-kim-jimmy-finger-guns/

If you freeze the scene after it shows Kim's hand was shaping to make the finger gun salute in return.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Brashy

Good catch! I didn't notice that. Some people have complained about the ending, but I thought it was fantastic. Just glad Kim out of it alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Ultimately I think the lose situation is a bit hard to take, it doesn't feel like he deserves his fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

I'm rewatching BB, he does deserve it in fairness. BB rewatch is brilliant by the way. I forgotten a lot of it.

Got to the part where Saul mentions his second wife to Walt. Also his character at this point is relentless when it comes to making money and screwing people over.

To be fair, Succession is absolutely brilliant television as well, and probably has broader appeal

Euphoria and Squid game my arse!

Bob & Rhea have one last chance at the next Emmys thanks to the season split.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Wasn't expecting them to win tbf, this was the most stacked Emmys in recent memory and as much as I loved this show, I can't say they deserved awards any more than the actual winners did. Succession's third season really was top class and the better show of the two IMO.

With a bit of luck, Bob will get his award next year but sadly that's Rhea's hopes ended because she just didn't feature enough in the second half to position herself for a nomination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,394 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Vince Gilligan. Rhea Seehorn in the lead role. New show with a two season commitment.

Never has this gif been more appropriate:

Apple TV and Disney are really surpassing Netflix and Amazon Prime now in terms of content.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Advertisement