Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

I love the nacho character. Think he plays the tough guy real well. He voiced a psychopath in one of the farcry games, there's a good video of him on YouTube torturing mclovin on a deserted island as a promo for it, worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I really like the actor who plays Nacho! Cool as you like, total badass. I like Kim too, something very.........real........about her.

I just love this show though. Gutted next week's is the last of the series. Ha Trevor! I thought it was Walton Goggins for a minute! Chuck, yep, total dick, but probably right. "chimp with a machine gun!". Although more self serving I imagine and in so doing helping create the "monster" he feared Jimmy would become.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

ricero wrote: »
    the scene with Mike in the carpark was hilarious :D

I was hoping against hope this guy would turn up.....

huell_zpsyx5rnjqr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I was hoping against hope this guy would turn up.....

huell_zpsyx5rnjqr.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

....I visit him occasionally and bring him sandwiches. Huel is currently working on the Great American Novel - it'd be a shame to tell him the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭squonk

Great episode. I feel so sorry for Jimmy. It's really not fair. Chuck really is a piece of work. Pity it's only 10 episodes. It's only getting going now and it's over.

Mike was epic! What more can I say.

I really like the actress playing Kim. I think She's there to underscore the story and the actress is underplaying her well. Like another poster said, she's real. Can't say fairer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

God that was brilliant.

I don't think Chuck is right at all. His motivations, we have mildly suspected, are based on warped sibling jealousy.

The desire to wish well for your brother so long as he doesn't surpass or rival you.

It was brilliant to see the episode climax with the most petty of human motivations. It's clear Chuck doesn't deserve Jimmy's respect and admiration - I just didn't think he would be so forthright when the betrayal was revealed, I thought there would be apologies and mild regret (without backing down mind you) but to harbour the exact same jealousy you had all those years ago when Jimmy got his law degree...

Brilliant episode.

Yeah, fu*k Chuck (now there's a great title for a Tarantino flick).

That was a slimy thing to do after how good Jimmy's been to him. Definite jealousy mixed with a dash of good old fashioned snobbery there.

I'll miss this show after next week - anyone know when the next series is slated to begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I suspect Chuck will return to HHM and take the case with him leaving Jimmy out in the cold.

Spot on

Yeah, fu*k Chuck (now there's a great title for a Tarantino flick).

That was a slimy thing to do after how good Jimmy's been to him. Definite jealousy mixed with a dash of good old fashioned snobbery there.

I'll miss this show after next week - anyone know when the next series is slated to begin?

Didn't know a series on season had even been greenlit!

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Didn't know a series on season had even been greenlit!

Yep, AMC greenlit season 2 before season 1 had even premiered!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

I guess Hamlin told Kim in the office about Jimmy's dubious degree, spurning the dissolution their relationship, making what Chuck did to Jimmy even more unforgiveable. Chuck was also behind Hamlin not hiring Jimmy when he first got his qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Kim already knows the provenance of Jimmy's degree. She opened his results letter. It's a technically legit degree, just not a particularly good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

squonk wrote: »
    I really like the actress playing Kim. I think She's there to underscore the story and the actress is underplaying her well. Like another poster said, she's real. Can't say fairer than that.
    I agree. The actress and her character are great.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/better-call-saul-rhea-seehorn-113885323320.html

"[A] male/female relationship with deep intimacy and deep history is not a black and white thing. That it’s not something you can easily put a label on. I love that that is that way, and that they’re so good at implying such rich history. That continues, because that’s their writing. But what’s revealed or not revealed [about Jimmy and Kim’s relationship], I can’t spoil."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

folamh wrote: »
    I guess Hamlin told Kim in the office about Jimmy's dubious degree, spurning the dissolution their relationship, making what Chuck did to Jimmy even more unforgiveable. Chuck was also behind Hamlin not hiring Jimmy when he first got his qualification.

Chuck wants to keep Jimmy down. The longer Slippin' Jimmy keeps hanging around slaving for him the bigger a man Chuck feels. The pathetic sod is scared of electricity so it makes him a "man" to keep his little brother in a pet dog like condition.
    The blinkers are off. Jimmy is a natural lawyer, an advocate of the unholy, he sees angles where others see walls and cells. Chuck is just some bum who read some books. Deep down, Chuck knows that and fears that the "dog bites man" headline is about to come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Nice to see Trevor in it, he fits right on ;)

The start of Saul Goodman is starting to make it's way out... It's gona be good 8)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

IKXNjGI.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Chuck wants to keep Jimmy down. The longer Slippin' Jimmy keeps hanging around slaving for him the bigger a man Chuck feels. The pathetic sod is scared of electricity so it makes him a "man" to keep his little brother in a pet dog like condition.
    The blinkers are off. Jimmy is a natural lawyer, an advocate of the unholy, he sees angles where others see walls and cells. Chuck is just some bum who read some books. Deep down, Chuck knows that and fears that the "dog bites man" headline is about to come true.

Don't agree with that at all. Chuck is an asshole but a far better lawyer than Jimmy will ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mike is just so ****ing cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yep, AMC greenlit season 2 before season 1 had even premiered!

Gilligan can do no wrong it seems

• Advertisement

folamh wrote: »

Kim already knew about his degree seeing as she opened the letter. What Hamlin told her was that Chuck was behind the whole standoff and that, while Hamlin appeared incredibly unreasonable, it wasn't actually his fault. I thought that was a great twist actually. Given all this it put Kim in an awkward position where she wants to help Jimmy but she can't come right out and tell him about the Chuck angle either. All she could say was "Take the deal".

I didn't take it as the dissolution of their relationship. They have a deep friendship that I'm pretty sure can withstand something like this. Yes it'd put pressure on the relationship but I couldn't see it as a deal breaker. If she was just an acquiaintance of an HHM lackey Jimmy was working as an agle to get into the firm then, yes, it'd be over but it's not I think, especially in light of how Jimmy now knows the reason behind the whole cloack and dagger drama. He could hardly hold that against Kim once he took some time to realise the rock and the hard place she found herself caught between.

Finally, what a chickenshít move by Chuck. You could at least respect a guy who came out saying "Jimmy, look, you've got your law degree but ti's second rate. You're not really HHM material and I don't want you there". Very hurtful but at least they had the conviction to stand up for their belief. Instead we get Chuck pulling the strings in the background while painting himself as the victim and a confused and slightly anoyed intermediary. Now I've had some time to think about it, he really is a príck.

I'm done with Chuck but I hope we continue to see more of Kim. I don't think we can say that she wasn't in contact with Saul/Jimmy during the BB timeline. It's reasonable to assume that Saul had lots of other things going on besides dealig with Walt & Jesse. TBH it'd make much more sense for their relationship to break down because of his involvement with Walter than anything we've seen up to now. I think there's a rich vein to be mined there if the writers keep her around. I suspect she's not a law book thumper like Chuck so could well rationalise why Saul has gone dodgy given all that's happened to him.

Now, one more thing that's bothered me. Why doesn't Jimmy take the case to another firm and get himself a job with them? HHM aren't the only game in town. It'd seem now that it would make more sense to pick HHM's main competitor, hawk the case to them and get a good deal, and a job with them and work on sticking it to Chuck. Obviously we know that doesn't happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Now, one more thing that's bothered me. Why doesn't Jimmy take the case to another firm and get himself a job with them? HHM aren't the only game in town. It'd seem now that it would make more sense to pick HHM's main competitor, hawk the case to them and get a good deal, and a job with them and work on sticking it to Chuck. Obviously we know that doesn't happen!

Because Chuck already is part of it. He worked on it, the files were printed using his code on the HHM printers. He also has ownership, it's not just Jimmy's.

pwurple wrote: »
    Because Chuck already is part of it. He worked on it, the files were printed using his code on the HHM printers. He also has ownership, it's not just Jimmy's.

This hasn't been explicitly stated though (the printer phoen call last ep notwithstanding).

Could Jimmy really threaten to "burn the case to the ground" if Chuck has ownership as well?

In no way saying you are wrong - just that it has been left slightly ambiguous.

I didn't get the sense from last night's episode that Chuck has a major stake in the case. Jimmy's threat to burn the case would have run very hollow if Hamlin/Chuck could have just taken it over as a matter of course. I don't know how this works but I suspect that Jimmy is most likely named as a primary on any documentation relating to the case so far. Chuck may well be names as a second meaning that he's an assistant, and perhaps an interchangeable one at that.

Look at it another way, if Chuck now owned the case, why bother inviting Jimmy in and offering a deal in the first place? Aside from shielding Chuck it doesn't make sense. It's ambiguous though and maybe it'll be explained next week. I've always felt the whole charge code theory stuff was BS. I'm not sure it's meant to signify anything.

Look at it another way, if Chuck now owned the case, why bother inviting Jimmy in and offering a deal in the first place? Aside from shielding Chuck it doesn't make sense. .

I think Chuck would totally have done this regardless. I don't want to belabour this point too much but he doesn't hate his brother and is perfectly happy and willing to help him out ...to a point. So in this scenario, perfectly happy to let Jimmy become a millionaire from the case as long as he doesn't have the power and status that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Wonderful episode, well worth persevering with.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Can anyone remind me the relationship between Hamlin and Kim? I know she's an up-and-coming employee in his company, but they seem too personal for just that.

Is there anything else going on behind the scenes/have I missed something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

She's been in the company years, since she was young, right up from the mail room. They put her through college. I didn't read anything else into it other than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Look at it another way, if Chuck now owned the case, why bother inviting Jimmy in and offering a deal in the first place? Aside from shielding Chuck it doesn't make sense.

I don't think he's out to get him or anything, he acknowledges he put some hard work in, and wants to pay him accordingly. He said he just doesn't think he is a real lawyer... still sees him as Slippin' Jimmy from the old days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I must say I really am enjoying the show. It was slow to start but has taken off over the last few episodes and I'll be disappointed when it finishes next week. I think this has got a lot of potential and could certainly run for as long as BB.

I love how they recognised another solid character in Mike was needed to support Saul. I also think they done a very good job in picking the rest of the supporting cast - Chuck in particular.

I do have a couple of question about the show though. Is a spin-off suppose to exist successfully on its own without the premise of the original show?

Say you never watched BB would you find the show as enticing? As a BB fan I don't think I would and initially don't think I would have sat down to watch it.

I don't watch every episode hoping another BB character will pop up in to it but I do have BB in the back of my mind when I'm watching it and recognise its in the same universe which helps to draw me in.

Is there many posters watching it who didn't watch BB and what do they think?

Advertisement