Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

best expression when the cup starts shaking and mike looks up like wtf :pac:

Still seems a lot will happen,but given the pace they either want to prolong series,and maybe over cross at last season or stage over to time after BrBad
    since as mentioned few more people should appear which will drag to their involvement and how they came together,and as we all know Saul will reach point of high and turn down to being average lawyer.

And even thou its slow paced and not much of interest but for future generations it will be full packed story-how everyone became involved in original series as an extra bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Great TV! Really enjoyed that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Hoboken Squat Cobbler... Brilliant!
    Boston cream splat! Simon the ass man.biggrin.png
    I watched Talking Dead and it's similar Breaking Bad show. I couldn't really stomach it. It was too "American". The host really irritated me.

Just seen Talking Saul, they were gonna call it Better Talk Saul, Gonna Call Saul, but stayed on that, albeit it's only 2 shows, so the host tried to cram some stuff in from S01 as well.

The Exec Producers+Bob+Rhea were there in studio & she looks just as stunning there as well.
    Afaik 1 more episode until Saul

& some BrBa cast may turn up, but i suppose that's a given?

But i really enjoyed that ep & wonder what's gonna happen next inc with Kim, as i read a quote from her:
    “What Jimmy does, it’s not illegal, but it’s coloring outside the lines. At that moment I realized that Kim is not a black and white person. I never forgot that.”

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Really enjoyed that episode. Slow start and wasn't a big fan of the opening but excellent otherwise.
    • Bringing back Chuck was the thing I didn't realize the last episode was missing. The scene in the boardroom was very well put together, great moment with Kim and Jimmy
    • Mike quality as always.
    • Disapointed with that subplot being wrapped up. I'm not sure where they go next week now.
    • The ending changed from being comic to tragic, a really nice touch

I didn't watch BB at the time, so I don't think I grew the same attachment as others had to it. Maybe that's why I care about Jimmy more than I ever did about Walt, I think Walt was always going to go that way, but the tragedy of Jimmy is that it didn't have to be like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That makes sense alright.

Turns out you were right. Why would Nacho steal money back I suppose?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Skullface McGubbin

The 1st episode was a bit slow but this one was definitely better. looking forward to the next one.
    LaVail wrote: »
    I enjoyed the episode.

Had forgotten how much Rhea Seehorn does it for me.

That suspiciously deep voice of hers is a turn off though.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Custardpi wrote: »
    I'm not so sure it will be as simple as that (though obviously we know the relationship does end at some stage). Dodginess is a well known aphrodisiac.

Interesting user name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

That suspiciously deep voice of hers is a turn off though.

Yeah, I'd say you'd kick her out of bed alright! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

It's brilliant, and I could watch the BB universe and its characters doing the most inane things and still enjoy it. But I must say I'm a little disappointed Saul hasn't made a full appearance yet. I thought we'd be straight into Saul world this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Watched the first two episodes of the new season. Great show. Going to watch them again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just caught up with the 2nd episode. I hope something really bad happens Chuck after watching that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I must be the only one finding it very slow so far. Not overly enamoured with the first two episodes I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I must be the only one finding it very slow so far. Not overly enamoured with the first two episodes I have to say.

I agree it is slow. But I think it is good that way they are laying the foundations, and adding in the nuances Chuck v Jimmy, Kim + Jimmy and Jimmy + Mike.
    It has a real life pace to it, none of this crash, bang, wallop stuff.

More importantly the acting is believable and the characters are believable (to me anyway).
    They don't overact and keep things subtle.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

It is slow and I was disappointed that he hadn't become Saul Goodman at the start of this season but the first 2 episodes have been so good and the characters are so enjoyable and the show itself is so well written that I really don't mind them meandering around for a little bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

This must be what being a fanboy is because I love every second of everything on screen, I can't wait for them to get to around season 3-4 where we're in full saul swing.

I don't see how he could have been Saul at the start of this season, the transformation is only just really beginning

Have they set out how many seasons of it there'll be? There's an obvious limit to how far the action can progress i.e. just before BB starts. Will they go that far with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I love this show and am happy with the pace. I like Jimmy McGill and am in no rush for him to become Saul yet.

They could do anything they like with this show. The show could end when Jimmy has fully become Saul. It could end when Saul meets Walter White. It could continue up into Breaking Bad times showing what Saul was up to while we were busy watching Walter and Jessie. It has already flash forwarded to Jimmy's life after Saul, so it could even follow him as maybe he becomes Saul again as he is unhappy being Gene.

I can't see them doing much with the future scenes beyond just having them at the start of an episode although I guess one full episode from that perspective could be an interesting last season finale - showing the end (one way or another) of Jimmy/Saul/Gene's story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

we've already seen future saul carve 'SG' into the wall, and not set off the alarm for fear of the police so it doesn't look like it's a happily ever after story in the future.. could very well carry on from there if they wanted. I see no reason why they would have to stop as soon as he meets walter, there could end up being 6 seasons of better call saul for all we know at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm loving it so far as well. I think the slow pace actually suits this and gives time for the story and characters to unfold. I know we all want to see Saul Goodman live and in effect but that didn't happen overnight and it's good to see the time being given to the transition here.

I have to say, much as I hate Chuck, he could well be proved right in the end. Slippin Jimmy is never that far away. I think it's shaping up to be a rather sad story on the whole. Jimmy now has pretty much everything he wants. A legitimate law career in a high end company with all the perks. Kim, who is clever and stunning. The sad part is that slippin Jimmy is always there in the background and I think it's this that will separate him from Kim and get him fired. We all know then that, after that, he resurrects himself as the dodgy criminal defendant but at least he's doing what he's good at, until he meets Walter White, gets way too far in over his head and ends up in a Cinabon.

I love that they're giving the time and space for this story to unfold. It's something that doesn't need to be rushed. The longer I can stay in this universe, the better as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

we've already seen future saul carve 'SG' into the wall, and not set off the alarm for fear of the police so it doesn't look like it's a happily ever after story in the future.. could very well carry on from there if they wanted. I see no reason why they would have to stop as soon as he meets walter, there could end up being 6 seasons of better call saul for all we know at the moment

I think it'd be really interesting if they carried the show into the Breaking Bad-era and beyond. I liked the fact that he carved SG into the wall. He could have carved JMcG but he clearly sees Saul as his true persona.

My wife is currently watching Breaking Bad (it passed her by first time around) and I'm struck by how different Saul is in so many ways to Jimmy. He's sharper and more confident. It'd be interesting to see if any of Jimmy's moral scruples or self-doubt lingered behind the scenes in his Saul-phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Just caught up with the 2nd episode. I hope something really bad happens Chuck after watching that.

Agreed. Chuck is turning out to be a nasty piece of work. He's too "sick" to work where he's needed for nearly two years, but can suddenly make the effort to turn up in order to discomfit Jimmy. While being nervous about having Jimmy work for HMM is understandable, perhaps even to the point of not wanting him there, Chuck now seems to just want to see Jimmy fail, full stop. Unfortunately, Jimmy is exhibiting signs of wanting to help this happen.

I think this is all about the name. Either Chuck is concerned about Jimmy dragging the McGill name into disrepute, or he can't stand the idea of there being another successful McGill lawyer. Remember the branding disagreement with Howard in the judge's office in Season 1? A couple of times Jimmy mentions that Howard wants to prevent him from using his name, and Howard gives Jimmy an odd look and looks as if he is about to say something, but doesn't get the chance. I think he was about to say that he had no objection to Jimmy using his name, he certainly had no reaction to the judge's acknowledgment of Jimmy's right to do so. I think Howard was genuinely only concerned about the logo and the advert.

Anyway, it was Chuck's suggestion that Jimmy not use his name. Remember those suggestions he had for names for Jimmy practice? Remember how when he read the newspaper account of Jimmy's billboard "rescue", he seemed to be focusing on the words McGill...McGill...McGill...

Jimmy put all the blame on Howard because he doesn't like him, and let's face it there is a personality clash there, but I don't think Howard has half as much of a problem with Jimmy as Jimmy imagines he does. Chuck is now much more of an enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

storker wrote: »
    A
    Jimmy put all the blame on Howard because he doesn't like him, and let's face it there is a personality clash there, but I don't think Howard has half as much of a problem with Jimmy as Jimmy imagines he does. Chuck is now much more of an enemy.

Throughout the whole first season I believed that Howard was a bad guy. I believed this because I like Jimmy and Jimmy hates Howard therefore Howard must be a bad guy. Then at the end of season one you realise that maybe Howard wasn't the bad guy after all, maybe it was Chuck.

I re-watched season one a couple of weeks ago and now clearly see that Howard was actually a good guy the whole way through, he genuinely cares for both Jimmy and Chuck. The only times he treats Jimmy badly are when he is instructed to by Chuck but we didn't know that at the time. He was constantly genuinely asking after Chucks welfare but Jimmy thought he was secretly trying to force Chuck out of HHM.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Aaron Paul did an AMA on Reddit yesterday. His answer when asked if he would be open to making an appearance on BCS
    Yeah of course! I'm such a huge fan of Better Call Saul, and of course everyone behind the show. So, who knows?
    ... maybe I already shot it?
    ... it might be airing this season?
    I don't know.
    Well, actually, I do know, but you'll have to watch and see. But yeah, I'd absolutely be opened to it and we have discussed the possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

The saddest part of this season so far is that we're learning that Chuck is right about Jimmy.

The question for me is whether it's Chuck's disapproval that is making Jimmy act up to the Slippin' Jimmy persona or whether he genuinely is just a dodgy character. The impression so far is that he was just playing up to a role for Chuck's approval and with that no longer attainable is much more open to dodgy carry on.

He now obviously wants Kim to validate his more eccentric behaviour and she did to an extent at the bar but when he tells her about concocting evidence to get Pryce off the hook she reacts badly. Jimmy has taken his need for validation from Chuck and placed it on Kim, she's the reason he went back to Davis & Main, by the end of this season she'll probably reject him leaving him with nobody to impress and the gloves will be off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

^^ Chuck is a c&nt of a brother,since s1 its clear he resents him all the time,for trying to be a lawyer just because he messed up in past-thus family name eventually Jimmy becoming Saul to break any ties.
    That said opening for episode 2 was quite nicely done where he tried playing piano.

The saddest part of this season so far is that we're learning that Chuck is right about Jimmy.

The question for me is whether it's Chuck's disapproval that is making Jimmy act up to the Slippin' Jimmy persona or whether he genuinely is just a dodgy character.

As much as I like Jimmy, I think it's the latter. I worked with someone like that once (IT) and he even admitted to me that if there were two ways to achieve the same goal, one dodgy and one straight, neither offering a better outcome than the other, he would still pick the dodgy option, just for the sake of it. I don't think that's a million miles away from Jimmy's attitude.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    ^^ Chuck is a c&nt of a brother,since s1 its clear he resents him all the time,for trying to be a lawyer just because he messed up in past-thus family name eventually Jimmy becoming Saul to break any ties.
    That said opening for episode 2 was quite nicely done where he tried playing piano.

Agree regarding Chuck, although it's still hard to condemn Chuck's reluctance to have Jimmy work at HHM. He should have been honest about it though, and told him to his face rather than hiding behind Howard. It's this lack of honesty that makes me think Chuck's motives aren't just about what's good for HHM. The ruined piano playing really underlines this. Jimmy could end up a partner and Mason-Dixon (or whoever)? Similar status to Chuck??? Unthinkable! Grrrrrrr.... (etc)

Advertisement