Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

Isn't Gus working for chuck? Or did I dream that?

What? That's the first I've heard of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

There were some people online (possibly here included) who said that the guy who HHM hired to deliver Chuck's groceries after Jimmy quit looks like a younger version of Gus Freng. He really doesn't but it was a theory which had legs for a few microseconds even so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

squonk wrote: »
    Things aren't going to end well for Jimmy at the firm I think, or with Kim.

They both may have created future trouble for themselves with the scam on Ken. All it needs is for Ken to have a reason to be doing business with HHM or Davis & Main... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I was fully expecting that Mike's client would be Gus Fring. Whoever he wants to go away seems to be scaring the **** out of him.
    I did not expect that, seeing who it was I thought he might want Tuco killed as I think it was already said he was meant to be going behind tucos back with the deals with the hummer geek, but now you say it I reckon it could be Gus he wants killed and so its revealed to Mike who Gus is, and could lead to being one of those classic scenes "who sent you to kill me? I will pay you double what they are". But that could be moving too fast along the story.
    squonk wrote: »
    The ad was Jimmy slipping back into his old ways.
    I thought the ad was going to be a Saul Goodman ad, thinking he was going to pose as another unknown lawyer to distance himself from the 2 proper law firms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Starting to get good. Could see it take off soon. Its building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Custardpi wrote: »
    There were some people online (possibly here included) who said that the guy who HHM hired to deliver Chuck's groceries after Jimmy quit looks like a younger version of Gus Freng. He really doesn't but it was a theory which had legs for a few microseconds even so.

Chuck called him angus or maybe Gus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Really starting to get the ball rolling now, it's excellent. Really happy with the pace of it and I'm just happy to be back in the BB world really.

Every time I watch it I always feel a bit warmer. The weather always looks so warm and toasty and no one is wearing jackets or getting blown around in the wind and rain!

Omar is a quite a competent and efficient office assistant too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

One thing I've noticed is that the writers are continuing the trend of unsympathetic female characters from BrBa. Mike's daughter in law is using his granddaughter to push him into getting her a nicer place, and Kim's ongoing badgering of Jimmy is clearly holding back his "creativity" which is what we all want to see really as he becomes Saul.

She's not quite Skylar but just something I've picked up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed is that the writers are continuing the trend of unsympathetic female characters from BrBa. Mike's daughter in law is using his granddaughter to push him into getting her a nicer place, and Kim's ongoing badgering of Jimmy is clearly holding back his "creativity" which is what we all want to see really as he becomes Saul.

She's not quite Skylar but just something I've picked up on.

Disagree with this. We knew Saul as the funny lawyer in BB, his corruption was used as comedy. I don't think that's how it's progressing in BCS.

The tragedy, for me anyway, of the first season was watching Jimmy struggling to be a good person in order to gain Chuck's respect, only to be rejected completely.

So far this season we're seeing how much Kim cares about the honest Jimmy. The problem is that that's a lie, he's not honest, he's a crook. Kim is a good person who sees Jimmy as, beneath the "Charlie Hussle" persona, a good person. I think Jimmy will be to Kim what Chuck was to Jimmy last season. She put her neck on the line because she trusted him, we all know he's going to mess it up and I think he will ruin her.

I can't understand how you can watch the show and feel anything but sympathy for Kim. She's gone out of her way to help Jimmy, to get him ahead. She's risked her own career, which she worked just as hard to get (we know she started off in the mail-room too). She's certainly no Skyler.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My first thought with Stacey is that she's terrified of gun shots coz wasn't that how Matty was killed? I know it was by fellow cops but I thought that gun shots brought back bad memories (PTSD I guess) and that's why she wants out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,700 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Totally agree. It's not Jimmy's "creativity" she's trying to surpress (that creativity being how he gets around tricky situations). She wants him to do it the right way because otherwise it'll ruin him, and it'll ruin her. She knows he can be a great lawyer just by being a great lawyer, rather than taking shortcuts and being a "criminal" lawyer rather than a criminal lawyer.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    My first thought with Stacey is that she's terrified of gun shots coz wasn't that how Matty was killed? I know it was by fellow cops but I thought that gun shots brought back bad memories (PTSD I guess) and that's why she wants out.

I agree, I certainly didn't get the impression she was trying to con Mike out of anything. If she wanted anything, Mike would just give it to her given his guilt over Matty. While the gunshots are imaginary, I do think she believes they are real which is all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,700 ✭✭✭✭Penn

bren2001 wrote: »
    I agree, I certainly didn't get the impression she was trying to con Mike out of anything. If she wanted anything, Mike would just give it to her given his guilt over Matty. While the gunshots are imaginary, I do think she believes they are real which is all that matters.

But then what about the damage to the wall, which she claimed was from a gunshot that night?

I think she's scamming him and damaged the wall herself. She didn't know Mike had been out there that night and knows there were no gunshots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Mike = Cool

Penn wrote: »
    But then what about the damage to the wall, which she claimed was from a gunshot that night?

I think she's scamming him and damaged the wall herself. She didn't know Mike had been out there that night and knows there were no gunshots.

Any time I do work on my house I find new cracks and holes. I took it that the damage to the wall was always there but she never noticed it before. I took it that the "gunshots" were the papers being delivered to her two neighbors and herself as Mike thought similar by taking out his gun. If that is not the case and she is hearing something else, that scene served to show a possible alternative to gunshots and how easily they can be imagined from other noise sources.

Mike already feels guilty for his son, if in turn his daughter in law's life was ruined by this event it would add motivation to Mike being so desperate for Kaylee to get the $1 million in Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Disagree with this. We knew Saul as the funny lawyer in BB, his corruption was used as comedy. I don't think that's how it's progressing in BCS.

The tragedy, for me anyway, of the first season was watching Jimmy struggling to be a good person in order to gain Chuck's respect, only to be rejected completely.

So far this season we're seeing how much Kim cares about the honest Jimmy. The problem is that that's a lie, he's not honest, he's a crook. Kim is a good person who sees Jimmy as, beneath the "Charlie Hussle" persona, a good person. I think Jimmy will be to Kim what Chuck was to Jimmy last season. She put her neck on the line because she trusted him, we all know he's going to mess it up and I think he will ruin her.

I can't understand how you can watch the show and feel anything but sympathy for Kim. She's gone out of her way to help Jimmy, to get him ahead. She's risked her own career, which she worked just as hard to get (we know she started off in the mail-room too). She's certainly no Skyler.

Where Kim is concerned I was more getting at how the writers have written her in such a way that it's holding Jimmy back from his transition to Saul.. which is what everyone wants to see.

As a character yes she has good intentions towards the guy and thinks he can be better, but do we the audience really want to see THAT story? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Where Kim is concerned I was more getting at how the writers have written her in such a way that it's holding Jimmy back from his transition to Saul.. which is what everyone wants to see.

As a character yes she has good intentions towards the guy and thinks he can be better, but do we the audience really want to see THAT story? :)

So should the writers just pander to what the fans want to see or should they exercise their artistic autonomy & develop the character arc & journey of Jimmy-Saul in what they feel to be the most natural way, even if that takes longer?
    I can actually see a messy breakup with Kim as playing a large emotional role in pushing him away from the corporate track (he'll probably be pushed out by HHM anyway) & towards the Saul persona.

For this member of the audience...yes. That's the genius of BCS, you root for him to get his act together and do the right thing, even though you know how things are going to end up.

Mike = Cool

Yeah but I keep thinking he might drop dead any time soon. He's really old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I was watching Breaking Bad with my wife the other night and I noticed how old Mike looks in BCS compared to BB. It's not really an issue, Mike is still cool but yeah, he has aged a bit. Bob Odenkirk on the other hand... he actually DOES look 10 years younger!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Custardpi wrote: »
    So should the writers just pander to what the fans want to see or should they exercise their artistic autonomy & develop the character arc & journey of Jimmy-Saul in what they feel to be the most natural way, even if that takes longer?
    I can actually see a messy breakup with Kim as playing a large emotional role in pushing him away from the corporate track (he'll probably be pushed out by HHM anyway) & towards the Saul persona.

Better Call Saul is at heart Greek tragedy. I suspect his path to the dark side will be completed in a series of betrayals. He studied law to to please his brother and live up to his expectations and was betrayed. He's going down exactly the same path with Kim, does he want to be a good person or is he pinning his hopes for love and happiness on pleasing her because he loves her. What's pretty clear is that, while she likes Jimmy she doesn't love him, in fact she has pointedly avoided his pleas for a real relationship. Saul is Jimmy's emotional suit of armour against betrayal, thus the show is likely to involve a series of tragedies for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

I just realised that Michael McKean who plays Chuck was David St. Hubbins (blonde guy) in Spinal Tap.
    He's been in a crazy amount of stuff.

I just realised that Michael McKean who plays Chuck was David St. Hubbins (blonde guy) in Spinal Tap.
    He's been in a crazy amount of stuff.

Good catch! Never would have guessed it if I watched This Is Spinal Tap three times on the trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Its not hard to imagine why Jimmy is going the way he does,first it was his brother,then he got law degree,not enough-last episode him showing up again,and micromanaging him.

Then Kim only wanting to see good boy,even thou by the looks she doesnt even know what she want herself as it on/off type thing between them and its only when Jimmy pleases her,then tape moment instead of him having green light to bring in customers-another command down the line well talk in a week.

Thus outcome from last call he got seems it wont be long before he will break all ties with HHM and Kim and 100% sure Mike will bring in some customer-enough for jimmy to turn into BTC and manage things he knows best,not waiting for handouts from others for GJ bringing in cases-since his Saul character that gained such appeal and way he manages to go around legal system that got everyone interested in him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Er... yeah, just what I was going to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

scamalert wrote: »
    Its not hard to imagine why Jimmy is going the way he does,first it was his brother,then he got law degree,not enough-last episode him showing up again,and micromanaging him.

Then Kim only wanting to see good boy,even thou by the looks she doesnt even know what she want herself as it on/off type thing between them and its only when Jimmy pleases her,then tape moment instead of him having green light to bring in customers-another command down the line well talk in a week.

Thus outcome from last call he got seems it wont be long before he will break all ties with HHM and Kim and 100% sure Mike will bring in some customer-enough for jimmy to turn into BTC and manage things he knows best,not waiting for handouts from others for GJ bringing in cases-since his Saul character that gained such appeal and way he manages to go around legal system that got everyone interested in him.

I've read this post three times and I'm still not completely sure what you are trying to say.

Proof read my good man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

not sure I'd agree with that, he looks like the quintessential tough as f*ck aul lad who'd knock the boll*x out of someone a third of his age and twice his size without giving a second thought. Serious air of intimidation about without saying a word. Great actor and perfectly cast. Just speculating but I'd say the creators cast and developed the character around the man himself as opposed to vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Penn wrote: »

I really don't think she's scamming him.

I think she's genuinely scared and he doesn't have the heart to tell her it's over nothing.

I don't think anyone scams Mike very easily.

not sure I'd agree with that, he looks like the quintessential tough as f*ck aul lad who'd knock the boll*x out of someone a third of his age and twice his size without giving a second thought. Serious air of intimidation about without saying a word. Great actor and perfectly cast. Just speculating but I'd say the creators cast and developed the character around the man himself as opposed to vice versa.

I have to suspend my disbelief a little bit. I could never seen him winning any kind of physical confrontation. I'm not sure why other characters don't see that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I have to suspend my disbelief a little bit. I could never seen him winning any kind of physical confrontation. I'm not sure why other characters don't see that too.

Yeah he looks crocked alright. It's a shame because all the other characters are believable.
    In real life would you seriously feel physically threatened by Mike?
    I like the fact that they have made Mike more of a manipulator to get around this fact. Like his dealings at the Car place and idea for a deal.

But this is supposed to be a Mike a few years younger then the first Mike initially encountered in Breaking Bad.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement