Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

The girl's notes on Jimmy's mistakes looked like "Game Of Thrones" deaths:

196y4we4kv2d5jpg.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nice touch in the final frame as Tio Salamanca walks out - ding ding!

Tio_And_The_Bell_Highlight.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Renewed for Season 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Really enjoyable episode again.

Interesting to see why Chucks wife was brought in at the beginning,I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy ****ed up their relationship.

It's amazing for a show that nothing really happens in it's so enjoyable, the characters and writing are simply brilliant.

Breaking Bad was very slow moving in the first couple of seasons and I suspect BCS is building up like that aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

W0w !!!

Ding Ding !!

I love this show, and again if anyone wonders why you need to watch BB first, well again this episode shows why.

Nice backstory about Chuck + Jimmys father, guess we understand why Chuck has it in for Jimmy now.

• Advertisement

And that "We dont talk about Fight Club" line :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

It's been so long since I've watched BB that I'm literally not recognising and BB characters bar Tucoand it's wrecking my head not picking up on anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Great episode. I didn't mind that not much happend in terms of moving things forward. I think it says a lot about the writing and acting that a relatively static episode could be so enjoyable. The contrast between Kim and Jimmy is more glaring by the day: she's trying to repair her career by pulling crazy hours in the basement and spending any free time trying to land a big customer for HHM. Meanwhile at the courthouse, Jimmy is bribing clerical staff with stuffed toys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

jooksavage wrote: »
    Great episode. I didn't mind that not much happend in terms of moving things forward. I think it says a lot about the writing and acting that a relatively static episode could be so enjoyable. The contrast between Kim and Jimmy is more glaring by the day: she's trying to repair her career by pulling crazy hours in the basement and spending any free time trying to land a big customer for HHM. Meanwhile at the courthouse, Jimmy is bribing clerical staff with stuffed toys.

You could see how envious Jimmy was of the public defender in the courthouses bathroom.

He's dying to be out there living by the edge of his arse defending the little guy against the man.Being in cushy job in a nice office is choking the life out of him.

I also liked how they brought Ed Begley Juniors real life environmentalism in as part of the way Davis & Main do things aswell.

stephenl15 wrote: »
    It's been so long since I've watched BB that I'm literally not recognising and BB characters bar Tucoand it's wrecking my head not picking up on anything :(

The old guy at the end ?

come on - Old man salamanca of the wheelchair and bell fame ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The old guy at the end ?

come on - Old man salamanca of the wheelchair and bell fame ?

I thought that was Skylar :pac:

Another quality episode though nothing too much particularly happened, which is a testament to the characters and writing of the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I literally shouted at the screen "Look at me, Hector!!" in a sketchy Gus accent when he walked into the diner :D

Perhaps not killing Tuco is actually the half measure that Mike took?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm enjoying the Mike storyline every bit as much as Jimmy/Saul. Really love the slow pace too. Best TV I watched for a very long time.

I literally shouted at the screen "Look at me, Hector!!" in a sketchy Gus accent when he walked into the diner :D

Perhaps not killing Tuco is actually the half measure that Mike took?
    Its one of them, but in BB the one he was talking about to Walt was a guy from Philly who beat up his wife and eventually killed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Interesting to see why Chucks wife was brought in at the beginning,I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy ****ed up their relationship.

I think the reason the episode was called "Rebecca" even though it spent a lot of time focusing on Kim is that Kim is Jimmy's Rebecca. Rebecca is a more human foil for Chuck, note their conversation around the problem member of the orchestra. Kim is a more professional, by-the-book foil for Jimmy. Chuck is going to lose Rebecca somehow, possibly because of Jimmy's actions, leaving Chuck without someone close to dilute his nature, and Jimmy is going to lose Kim (almost surely because of Jimmy) with similar results. I wouldn't be surprised if Ken pops up from somewhere to play a part in that. Remember the recurring theme of both BB and BCS: Actions Have Consequences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

2.05 was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The opening segment with Chuck, Rebecca and Jimmy was the best part of the last episode.
    I loved the way it emphasised how up-tight Chuck was planning his ear-lobe signal and using it repeatedly. Then how Jimmy charmed Rebecca and she thought he was great gas. Then Chuck tries his lawyer joke later on and it falls flat, much to his annoyance.
    I think we might learn more about how Jimmy's father corner shop collapsed from Jimmy's perspective in later episodes?
    I am confused if it Howard keeping Kim in the "doc room" or is Howard only doing it because Chuck is implying that she is not out of the doghouse?
    Also is Jimmy going to turn his Davis and Maine "Babysitter" into his way of thinking eventually?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

It's amazing for a show that nothing really happens in it's so enjoyable, the characters and writing are simply brilliant.

Breaking Bad was very slow moving in the first couple of seasons and I suspect BCS is building up like that aswell.

Another enjoyable ep.

That could explain why Jimmy comes around to help him, to make up for it, i wonder how long was Rebecca with Chuck?

Breaking Bad was slow alright & put people off, but afaik a cast member said when it came on Netflix, people binged on it & became more popular that way!

I wasn't too sure if Chuck was more of a partner than Howard, but i see the way Howard was stalling Kim from coming out of the basement, btw what is she doing down there, as what is dock review?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It seems petty and wasteful to make someone on associates wages do intern grunt work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm still in the **** chuck camp, I don't believe the story of jimmy stealing from his father is true. I think Kim had heard that story before except from Jimmys POV, she might be having a moment of doubt but I think she saw through Chucks act. Kim was trying to not offend Chuck the whole time, look when she puts down the cup on the table and almost apologies just for using the table.

I'm not sure where Howard stands, in regards to punishing Kim, if it wasn't Chucks wish for that to happen. I think the "You've got enough on your plate in doc review" tells a tale. He might be actually acting in Kim's best interest by putting her work at HHM on pause while this Jimmy Chuck thing is playing out. By Howard acting before Chuck had a say in it / ignoring Chuck suggesting that she is done in doc review, he is taking her punishment out of Chucks hands.

Love the timelapses back from Breaking bad, and the colours reflecting the emotions/story, like the colour blue / yellow at the moment, especially in doc review with her "I save me" bit. Her blue top, blue folders, yellow highlighter, jimmy calling her on blue phone, jimmy comes in with a blue tie with yellow pattern on it. next shot of him back in davis and main is him holding the yellow best lawyer cup she gave him. Cold calling part with yellow and blue post-it notes being the last ones. back to the doc review, everyone else is working on blue folders and she takes out a yellow folder...

Funny seeing Ernie (the guy who delivered food to chuck after jimmy stopped) dropping off chuck in the Evo. Must be more to it in regards to the choice of car, seeing as everyone else's car tells a lot about the person.

Ding, just before Salamanca walks in. I'm glad there wasn't a ding on his way out, it would have been too humorous/light an ending.

I am enjoying better call saul more than breaking bad, mostly down to having to wait so long between episodes and being able to think deeply about the story and characters in between. I think I wasted brba by binge watching it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,394 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Absolutely brilliant series so far.

Someone said it's amazing how enjoyable it is despite nothing much "happening" and I completely agree.

So well written and acted. Beautifully shot as well.

At the end of season one, I thought (and still do to an extent) that chuck was an absolute monster. Pretending to be a caring brother but in reality begrudging and sabotaging any possibility that his little tearaway brother would ever approach his level of success.

The stories he told their father in that ep, followed by the suspicions with chuck's wife taken together with some of the silly stuff Jimmy has done so far this season to self-sabotage is starting to gradually bring me around to his way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

I Kim was trying to not offend Chuck the whole time, look when she puts down the cup on the table and almost apologies just for using the table.

One thing that surprised me about that scene was that given Chuck's personality and the general feel of HHM, they were using coffee mugs without coasters. :)

storker wrote: »
    One thing that surprised me about that scene was that given Chuck's personality and the general feel of HHM, they were using coffee mugs without coasters. :)

Rhea Seahorn (Kim) actually said on the better call saul podcast for this episode, that's what was in her head at that time.. wondering if she should ask if it was ok to put the coffee down without a coaster. I love how much thought goes into all that kind of small stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Rhea Seahorn (Kim) actually said on the better call saul podcast for this episode, that's what was in her head at that time.. wondering if she should ask if it was ok to put the coffee down without a coaster. I love how much thought goes into all that kind of small stuff.

Which podcast is that, there seems to be many

sebcity wrote: »
    Which podcast is that, there seems to be many

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/better-call-saul-insider-podcast/id966297954?mt=2

Kelly Dixon is the main editor and she hosts the podcast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I definitely think Chuck is lying about Jimmy stealing the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

seligehgit wrote: »
    I definitely think Chuck is lying about Jimmy stealing the money.
    maybe jimmy covered for his dad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

maybe jimmy covered for his dad
    Yeah that is exactly what I thought because it is in keeping with his character.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd imagine too that Chuck didn't know the whole story about his father, that Jimmy covered for him and took the fall because he knew Chuck adored him so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

**** you chuck.

Advertisement