Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Clearer and clearer that this is essentially a story of sibling rivalry. Likely, the story Chuck told about Jimmy in the shop wasn't fully true but probably not fully false either - just different interpretations depending on your viewpoint. Chuck clearly resents Jimmy's ease with people; basically how others like Jimmy whereas they're don't warm to him nearly as much. Just like his wife in that preface scene in the last episode. It all likely stems back to their father. Chuck was the straight-laced, hard-working son who did everything by the book. Jimmy was loose and free but it was him that worked in the shop with their father. It was him, I suspect, who the father warmed to mostly. And Chuck hated this. On paper, he has done everything better than Jimmy. Chuck is the one deserving of their father's love and approval and he is bitterly jealous that Jimmy wasn't cast out by their father but was instead loved by him.
    Jimmy is effectively the prodigal son and Chuck is the honest, loyal son who feels only bitterness that his superiority is not sufficiently recognised by the world. He wants to push Jimmy down as much as he can and paint him in such a negative light so that finally the world will recognise just what an honest, and long-suffering big brother he has been all this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Mousewar wrote: »
    Clearer and clearer that this is essentially a story of sibling rivalry. Likely, the story Chuck told about Jimmy in the shop wasn't fully true but probably not fully false either - just different interpretations depending on your viewpoint. Chuck clearly resents Jimmy's ease with people; basically how others like Jimmy whereas they're don't warm to him nearly as much. Just like his wife in that preface scene in the last episode. It all likely stems back to their father. Chuck was the straight-laced, hard-working son who did everything by the book. Jimmy was loose and free but it was him that worked in the shop with their father. It was him, I suspect, who the father warmed to mostly. And Chuck hated this. On paper, he has done everything better than Jimmy. Chuck is the one deserving of their father's love and approval and he is bitterly jealous that Jimmy wasn't cast out by their father but was instead loved by him.
    Jimmy is effectively the prodigal son and Chuck is the honest, loyal son who feels only bitterness that his superiority is not sufficiently recognised by the world. He wants to push Jimmy down as much as he can and paint him in such a negative light so that finally the world will recognise just what an honest, and long-suffering big brother he has been all this time.

This was probably alluded to in the opening scene where Chuck's wife and Jimmy were taking the Mick out of him you can imagine similar family dinner's were Jimmy and his dad would have belittled Chuck, It's hard not to feel sorry for Chuck really. It's reminiscent of Legends of the Fall, were the disgruntled brother says "I followed all the rules and he followed none yet ye all loved him more."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

It's reminiscent of Legends of the Fall, were the disgruntled brother says "I followed all the rules and he followed none yet ye all loved him more."
    Yeah, good quote, that sums up my thoughts on it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I see IMDB have info on upcoming episodes before they air, is this normal for most series?

They info on 2 yet to be aired, I did not read them and reading the previous ones I will not. I hate spoilers or hints so reckon I will just stop reading anything from now on.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3032476/episodes?ref_=tt_ov_epl

S2, Ep1
    15 Feb. 2016 Switch
    Jimmy and Kim's relationship takes a new turn. Mike decides it's for the best to sever his affiliation with an unrestrained associate.

Cobbler S2, Ep2
    22 Feb. 2016 Cobbler
    Mike brokers a deal in order to keep a potentially messy situation intact; Jimmy tries to exonerate an eccentric client.

Amarillo S2, Ep3
    29 Feb. 2016 Amarillo
    Jimmy's client outreach efforts succeed, and he exhibits new heights of showmanship; Mike is puzzled by Stacey's upsetting news.

Gloves Off S2, Ep4
    7 Mar. 2016 Gloves Off
    Jimmy's actions unexpectedly create waves for Kim. Mike cautiously weighs a lucrative proposal that might bring about dire consequences.

Rebecca S2, Ep5
    14 Mar. 2016 Rebecca
    Jimmy chafes under his restrictive work environment; Kim goes to extremes to dig herself from a bottomless hole at HHM.
    Bali Ha'i S2, Ep6
    21 Mar. 2016 Bali Ha'i
    Jimmy finds comfort in familiarity; Kim receives a life-changing proposal; when he is threatened, Mike finds himself pushed to the limit.

Episode #2.7 S2, Ep7
    28 Mar. 2016 Episode #2.7
    When Mike's hand is forced, he can no longer hide his frustration; Mike and Jimmy work together to keep the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Mental note: buy carbon paper. And a welcome mat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,104 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I really like this show but its a seriously slow burner, Breaking Bad got hit with the same criticism but this is chuck full of pointless scenes and there just doesn't seem to be anything happening. Still enjoying it but I'm just sort of waiting for it to kick off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

atm yes its seems no brainer since there's stories developing and left out,also feels a bit more like stand alone show in terms where you could watch it on its own even if BB wasn't created,but lack of action i think thats where writers are still deciding which way show will be directed,many now would like Kim,but shes on/off type of character,chuck is major distraction whenever he shows up.

Thus seems creators are banking more on BB reputation while deciding right path for BTC series if they were to follow.

Since if it was fast paced whole series could off easily be done in first season and second one being last.But given that they played with after BB intros,and whole new characters having their own stories slows everything down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

rob316 wrote: »
    I really like this show but its a seriously slow burner, Breaking Bad got hit with the same criticism but this is chuck full of pointless scenes and there just doesn't seem to be anything happening. Still enjoying it but I'm just sort of waiting for it to kick off.

In Season 3 of Breaking Bad, Gale recites a poem. A pointless scene.
    Then Walt is reading a book of those poems, given to him by Gale. A pointless scene.
    Then Walt is shown leaving the book in his bathroom. A pointless scene.
    The Hank finds it, and blows the whole show wide open.

I'm just saying, sometimes what seems like a pointless scene can be the first steps to a massive payoff, maybe not even in this season, but further down the line.

BCS will never be as action-packed as BB, because we know too much about the future of most of the characters involved and where they're ultimately headed, and they're just very different characters. But I enjoy a slow burn provided the payoff is worth it, and we'll only know that further down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Thought it was great myself.. Best show on TV at the mo imo

Rarely do I never get the urge to fast forward during TV shows if I'm bored. The dialogue acting and lore are superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I find the Mike scenes more interesting it always has an edge to it. Saul's scenes are normally full of humour unless it involves Chuck bringing him down. It may be BCS heresy? But Kim's character bores me now!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Ha ha another great episode and great to see the SalamancaTwins back, I do love how we get these breaking bad cameos turning up, hell the more the merrier, might even see Hank, Skinny Pete and Badger hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ha ha another great episode and great to see the SalamancaTwins back, I do love how we get these breaking bad cameos turning up, hell the more the merrier, might even see Hank, Skinny Pete and Badger hopefully!

Hank with hair, maybe buying a home brew kit?:D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

I find the Mike scenes more interesting it always has an edge to it. Saul's scenes are normally full of humour unless it involves Chuck bringing him down. It may be BCS heresy? But Kim's character bores me now!

if it wasn't for Sauls character guess there wouldn't be BTC,since main thing that drove attention to him was being funny in even worst scenarios-being nearly burried alive,asking for 1$ to become attorney,suggesting sending Hank to Belize and so on. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Great to see the 2 twins.

It's building nicely now and I can really see things kicking off at the start of the third season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It'd be interesting to see a few more characters, I'd like to see David Ury back as Spooge before he's all meth'd out, but the show shouldn't be throwing in cameos of BB characters just for the sake of it. The Salamancas are there because they've got a great role in the show, there's a lot of good story around them, but I can't imagine Skinny Pete or Badger or even Spooge really adding much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Good episode... things getting all warmed up nicely. So much stuff to take in from the camera angles to the colour of the folders. I'm sure there's all sorts of stuff I'm missing that will make a bit of sense later on.

+ I'd like to see Hank with hair, ha!

And nice to see this classic being used.

Dave Porter does a cracking job with the music and sound on the show.

Meh, mute twins weren't really the best characters from breaking bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm a confirmed fanboy at this stage. Not a single thing I'd change, love every single second of the show :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

^^^^ This.

It's fantastic stuff. Really, comparisons with BB are pointless, they are completely different animals, each superb in their way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

Third season has been approved but not clear beyond this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

My biggest complaint is that Mike is more interesting than Saul

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Links234 wrote: »
    It'd be interesting to see a few more characters, I'd like to see David Ury back as Spooge before he's all meth'd out, but the show shouldn't be throwing in cameos of BB characters just for the sake of it. The Salamancas are there because they've got a great role in the show, there's a lot of good story around them, but I can't imagine Skinny Pete or Badger or even Spooge really adding much.
    No I could see Skinny Pete Badger and even Jessie turn up, wasn't it Jessie who introduced Walt to Saul! So Jessie and the boys obviously had used Saul previously so I'd say there is a reasonably good chance we wil see them turn up in season Jimmy goes full Saul!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No I could see Skinny Pete Badger and even Jessie turn up, wasn't it Jessie who introduced Walt to Saul! So Jessie and the boys obviously had used Saul previously so I'd say there is a reasonably good chance we wil see them turn up in season Jimmy goes full Saul!

Jesse would be a kid at the time, so I don't expect them to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yes I can only see Jessie showing up if they explore post breaking bad timeline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Yes, it was his method of getting payment from clients.

Great episode again, Good to see the twins back !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

Her cute cup not fitting in his new car... I wonder if that mean something :pac:

I love the way that problem got resolved 4 episodes later :). You really have to admire the quality of script writing in this show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I'm fairly certain that Jessie sees Saul in his dodgy ad on TV and then tells Walt he is the lawyer that you need.

Really sick of Kim at this stage, does no one else find it stupid that she berates Jimmy for not taking his job seriously but then calls him in the middle of the day to flake out and go drinking and scamming, seems like lazy writing.

Advertisement