Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Really sick of Kim at this stage, does no one else find it stupid that she berates Jimmy for not taking his job seriously but then calls him in the middle of the day to flake out and go drinking and scamming, seems like lazy writing.

it's not lazy writing it's depth to her character

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

ElNino wrote: »
    I love the way that problem got resolved 4 episodes later :). You really have to admire the quality of script writing in this show.

I think that was to signify how he feels like he really doesn't belong in that way of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

it's not lazy writing it's depth to her character

Depth or confusion? Also it meant yet another scene where Victor and (I can't remember her annoying fake name) con some rich guy into paying for their drinks, once is nauseating enough to see that s***e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

Personally I could never get enough of Kim :). Ok, aside from Rhea Seahorn being a stunner, Kim is kind of funny in that you really have to respect how hard working and determined she is. I think she's the anti Jimmy in that Saul will break out and do something dodgy without thinking about it and the kind of monotony that Kim can put up with drive him nuts. Kim will follow whatever cours she sets herself on stubbornly and dilligently til she gets there in the end. She is prone to the occasional breakout which was what the scam thing was for her, a bit of fun and a chance to break the monotony. Even the job offer seems to be a hard thing for her to accept as she's so stuck into the HHM midset and keen to prove herself. I like Kim and want to see lots more of her however I think her character involvement may be limited going forward with the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Great to see the 2 twins.

It's building nicely now and I can really see things kicking off at the start of the third season.

Freaky looking hoors in the scene where they were overlooking the pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I agree. remember mike talking about his regret in not fully finishing something he did years ago?

I think he has done it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

squonk wrote: »
    Personally I could never get enough of Kim :). Ok, aside from Rhea Seahorn being a stunner, Kim is kind of funny in that you really have to respect how hard working and determined she is. I think she's the anti Jimmy in that Saul will break out and do something dodgy without thinking about it and the kind of monotony that Kim can put up with drive him nuts. Kim will follow whatever cours she sets herself on stubbornly and dilligently til she gets there in the end. She is prone to the occasional breakout which was what the scam thing was for her, a bit of fun and a chance to break the monotony. Even the job offer seems to be a hard thing for her to accept as she's so stuck into the HHM midset and keen to prove herself. I like Kim and want to see lots more of her however I think her character involvement may be limited going forward with the way things are going.

Totally agree! Kim is a great character and is superbly written. Unlike Saul and Mike, we have no idea what's ultimately in store for her. Gilligan is really making the most of her unique position.

If BB had any shortcomings it was the female characters - they were usually on the margins or there to serve a particular purpose: Skyler as the somewhat emasculating wife who has a hand in creating Heisenberg, Jesse's dead girlfriend(s), Lydia as the punchable villain. Marie Shrader was probably the most likeable and interesting but she was also usually there on the periphery, reacting to events rather than shaping them.

It looks like Kim is going to have a much bigger role in shaping the story of BCS. I'm intrigued to know where she is in the BB period (or if she makes it there at all....) On top if this, she's funny, hot and very likeable.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Depth or confusion? Also it meant yet another scene where Victor and (I can't remember her annoying fake name) con some rich guy into paying for their drinks, once is nauseating enough to see that s***e.

Viktor with a K!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

jooksavage wrote: »
    Totally agree! Kim is a great character and is superbly written. Unlike Saul and Mike, we have no idea what's ultimately in store for her. Gilligan is really making the most of her unique position.

If BB had any shortcomings it was the female characters - they were usually on the margins or there to serve a particular purpose: Skyler as the somewhat emasculating wife who has a hand in creating Heisenberg, Jesse's dead girlfriend(s), Lydia as the punchable villain. Marie Shrader was probably the most likeable and interesting but she was also usually there on the periphery, reacting to events rather than shaping them.

It looks like Kim is going to have a much bigger role in shaping the story of BCS. I'm intrigued to know where she is in the BB period (or if she makes it there at all....) On top if this, she's funny, hot and very likeable.

I've an inkling she is either dead or as good as dead to Saul by the BB period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm fairly certain that Jessie sees Saul in his dodgy ad on TV and then tells Walt he is the lawyer that you need.

Really sick of Kim at this stage, does no one else find it stupid that she berates Jimmy for not taking his job seriously but then calls him in the middle of the day to flake out and go drinking and scamming, seems like lazy writing.

Yeah Jesse says "We don't need a criminal lawyer, we need a CRIMINAL Lawyer"

I hope that the ending of the show is the moment Jesse and Walt walk into Sauls office and it's just ends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,213 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yeah Jesse says "We don't need a criminal lawyer, we need a CRIMINAL Lawyer"

I hope that the ending of the show is the moment Jesse and Walt walk into Sauls office and it's just ends there.

A few seasons of Bill Burr and Lavell Crawford before that hopefully :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Liam O wrote: »
    A few seasons of Bill Burr and Lavell Crawford before that hopefully :p

If Huell and Kuby don't appear in BCS I'll be extremely disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

They need to do a prequel with Mikes character !

Magic Mike !! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

I really wish I could binge on this.
    Waiting a week for me is too much.
    Dunno what others feel about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I actually love waiting a week between episodes. I really feel that it improves your enjoyment. I have a whole week to think and theorise about what will happen next and read even more into the episodes that have passed. I can spend some time going over the episode in my mind and sometimes I'll even give it a second watch during the week.

It is strange when you go back and rewatch a complete season of any show after you have previously watched it weekly. Big cliffhangers and important character arcs seem to get resolved almost instantly rather that it taking weeks of suspense.

I just wish it was on Monday. I love how HBO has most of their stuff out on Monday for us over here. Really brightens up the worst day of the week.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Latest episode (6) was a bit of a non-event for me.

I really can't warm to the Kim character. We already know Mike is a hard-nut and as an ex-cop is wise to the ways of the bad guys. Jimmy is flip flopping between good and slippin', this we also know very well. Nothing really advanced the plot line in this episode unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I actually love waiting a week between episodes. I really feel that it improves your enjoyment. I have a whole week to think and theorise about what will happen next and read even more into the episodes that have passed. I can spend some time going over the episode in my mind and sometimes I'll even give it a second watch during the week.

It is strange when you go back and rewatch a complete season of any show after you have previously watched it weekly. Big cliffhangers and important character arcs seem to get resolved almost instantly rather that it taking weeks of suspense.

I'd agree with this... while it's cool to be able to get say the new season of House of Cards in one go, it does kill the suspense and cliffhangers to have it all resolved 5 minutes/a few hours later.

Plus I like the theorising, the discussions and (in BCS) the nods to BB that I missed but others caught. With HoC you have to avoid the thread/forums until you've seen all of it yourself for fear of having the story spoiled.

So long as I can get the new series/seasons as they come out thanks to our American cousins I'm happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

"Ice Station Zebra Associates" was that not the name of some dodgy holding company Saul used in BB?

Of course I had to breaking bad wiki this!
    wrote:
    Ice Station Zebra Associates is the name of a holding company used by Saul Goodman for tax evasion. In the episode "Abiquiú", Skyler White decides to intervene in Saul and Walter White's money laundering plans in part because she was unimpressed when Saul presented her with a check from Ice Station Zebra Associates.

Ice Station Zebra Associates is also seen in small print in the television commercials for Saul's law firm.

"Ice Station Zebra" is itself a 1963 Cold War intrigue novel, adapted in 1968 as a better-known film starring Rock Hudson and Ernest Borgnine. The movie itself appears in "Amarillo", watched by Saul (James McGill at the time) and Kim Wexler .

I'd say the amount of stuff that is going over my head in this could probably fill a book or make a second spin off!
    Anyway it was a quality episode. Mike is an enthralling character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Loving the show but eternally confused by Mike's granddaughter. Don't like nitpicking but she actually seems older in Better in Saul than she was in Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mousewar wrote: »
    Loving the show but eternally confused by Mike's granddaughter. Don't like nitpicking but she actually seems older in Better in Saul than she was in Breaking Bad.
    Seems 2 actresses have played her in BCS so far, she did look older swimming than the girl playing with the pig, maybe that was the same actress though.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Kaylee_Ehrmantraut

https://www.reddit.com/r/betterCallSaul/comments/30y0fl/how_much_time_passes_between_the_first_episode_of/

-Mike's granddaughter looks the exact same age in BCS as she does in BB. If it were three or four years later, the little girl should be like almost 10

-Well BCS is set in the year 2001, and BB well I think it starts in 2008

-I don't know the exact age of Faith Healey but Kaija Roze Bales who played Kaylee in BrBA at this time is apparently 15 years old, which means in Breaking Bad she could've been from 10 to 13 maybe even 14. I think the actor definitely looks young enough to be 3 years old.

I posted this a while back
    rubadub wrote: »
    Many were wondering if Jesse would appear, I was thinking he would be too young for Aaron Paul to play.

Wikipedia says BCS is set in 2002. This BB site says Jesse was born in 1989, so he would only be about 13.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Jesse_Pinkman

however that same page says jesse was 27 in the final series.

The same site has a timeline page. Which says it ended in 2011, which would mean jesse was 22. So I guess the birthday quoted is wrong.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

He could come into later episodes, but would obviously would be an older actor by then too. Or he could come into the current "cinabon time"

Wiki has a different birthday. "Jesse was born on September 14, 1984", so Jesse should be around 18 in BCS.

They could possibly do a beverly hills 90210 with him!
    Andrea Zuckerman on Beverly Hills, 90210. At age 29, she was the oldest cast member to portray a 16-year-old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Mousewar wrote: »
    if you didnt notice Mike is way worse his age is really showing,after Tuco beat the crap of him- at the end seemed Mike is way out of his shape -given this is pre BB period,while they managed to pull many characters but its most likely their age being young and a bit of haircut,with mike they seem to leave him as he is,which doesnt really go with tough character in BB series he was.

That said this episode was different intro scene i guess where slippin Jimmy was determined,thus part of his father and his story,also it was confusing him looking at those floating balloons ? until he pulled out his style in suits so this seems to go well how his dress code went.

Still no sign of Guss and Mike seemed to smth up - need for cash drive thus guess someone will have to pull him out and Guss seems like perfect character to do that,but imagining one thing i guess it will be twisted other way around,since predicting this show is guessing game :o

scamalert wrote: »
    if you didnt notice Mike is way worse his age is really showing,
    Jonathan Banks (Mike) is 69 now in real life. This BB site says Mike is early 60s when BB finished.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Mike_Ehrmantraut

So the character should be about 55 in BCS.

Here is Banks around that age in the epic classic "Crocodile Dundee 3, in Los Angeles", in the brown leather jacket.

-and yes, I am a little obsessed with ages and years, I really wish they would show the year in these programs, or have official sites you could check if you wished.

2001 in Dundee below
    500px-Dundeeinloseangeles32.jpg

BCS season 1 below
    Jonathan-Banks-in-Better-Call-Saul-Season-1-Episode-6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Not to be morbid or anything as I wish (as I'm sure we all do) Mr Banks a long & healthy life but I wonder has Vince Gilligan considered the possibility that there might come a time when "Mike" is not available for his rôle? Has the necessary flexibility been built into the writing or planned writing for future BCS series?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Custardpi wrote: »
    Not to be morbid or anything as I wish (as I'm sure we all do) Mr Banks a long & healthy life but I wonder has Vince Gilligan considered the possibility that there might come a time when "Mike" is not available for his rôle? Has the necessary flexibility been built into the writing or planned writing for future BCS series?

I assume he will do what John Sullivan did when the actor who played "Grand-dad" (Lennard Pearce) died in 'Only Fools and Horses', and find a long lost brother of the character. Problem solved!
    I figure it would only take the rewriting of an episode or two!?:D
    And a bigger beard....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Possibly but in OFAH it was acknowledged that Grandad had died & they didn't have the burden of having to line up with a pre-existing sequel several years into the future. If BCS goes right up to the time that Walter White enters the picture then Mike will be a central character in the criminal underworld inhabited by both Gus Freng & by that stage Jimmy/Saul, making his absence (again, touch wood) difficult to explain away.

I think they would just get another actor in to play the part. It would be very hard to write him out, not even like they could say "oh he's on holidays".

The actress who was the voice of Howards mother in the big bang theory died and they wrote her out, there was talk of one of the current actresses taking over as she was never actually seen onscreen, she just roared at him from other rooms, and the other actress was very close sounding. But they decided against it. But not like it was a prequel.

I remember Becky in Roseanne changed actress and there was voice over at the start saying "the actress playing Becky has changed in this episode". However when an actor dies it is a bit different.

There is a massive list on wiki of characters who changed actor, they often change after the pilot but many were during it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_programs_in_which_one_character_was_played_by_multiple_actors

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What was the pilot of being human like?

Well, we like the story but every once of the actors has to go.

I loved Jimmy's commitment to getting fired. Those suits were fantastic!

• Advertisement

More BB-world stuff in this episode; The realtor who showed Mike and Stacey around the new house in the latest episode of BCS was the same one from the open house where Marie stole an item in BB episode 5.3.

I liked this episode, and it featured my favourite opening scene of the season, maybe series, with the flashback to Jimmy's childhood experience with his father. By the look of things, Mr. McGill Senior was quite the pushover and having witnessed this first hand, Slippin' Jimmy was born. I was disappointed though to see Jimmy actually take money out of the till and pocket it himself. I thought it was initially going in the direction that Mr McGill Snr's own actions would be the reason why that money went missing from the family business while Chuck was away at college. As of now though, the show is pushing us in the direction that it was in fact Jimmy. By the conclusion of that thread though, I'm hoping for something with a bit more depth than simply 'Yes, Jimmy siphoned the $14,000 dollars from his father for his own use'.

Elsewhere in the episode, I like that Jimmy finally admitted to Kim that he needs to be himself in order to succeed at what he's doing, more importantly though, in order to be happy. When he first lied to her in the scene about being 'straight-up', I almost face-palmed but it was good to see him find some sense in the moment and give Kim a bit of honesty. This is important to me as a viewer because if he had have lied to her once again, I would have lost a bit of faith in Jimmy in terms of he not learning from past mistakes. No doubt Jimmy will make mistakes again going forward on his journey towards 'Saul', and probably lie to Kim again, but I do need to see the odd scene that makes me feel the character is trying to help himself and doesn't really deserve to be living that lonely, nervous life as a Cinnabon manager in Omaha in the eventual timeline.

I'm interested to see where the story is going with Mike and Stacey, his daughter-in-law. He appears to be dropping a lot of money on this new house for her, but he knows that there was no one shooting at her previous house. So what's going on in Mike's head? Does he think that Stacey is maliciously playing him? Or does he think that she is just stressed to the point of paranoia now and that the change will genuinely do her good?

With a man like Mike, it might not matter. All that could matter to him is that she is his son's widow, his granddaughter's mother, and needs to be provided for and made felt safe at all costs. I would like to see some progression on that though. When Mike was on that stake-out outside Stacey's old place one night, I was almost expecting someone to come by and start shooting. It was a tension filled scene if I remember correctly. I wasn't too surprised when there was no shots fired, but when the next day Stacey was adamant that there were, despite Mike knowing there wasn't, that was an interesting turn. I guess I'd just like to see some progression. Maybe that will happen in a few episodes when Stacey starts 'hearing shots' again at her new dream home, and Mike might have to tell her a hard truth - there are no gunshots.

As for Mike and the Salamancas, is anyone else thinking that this will end up with Mike getting so deep that he'll have to be somewhat saved/vouched for by Gus and this will be his introduction to the show? We saw in Breaking Bad (stop reading here if you haven't yet watched BB and don't want to be spoiled)..........Gus getting fúcked over by a group including a laughing Tio Salamanca sometime in the 80s. There's already established beef there. Maybe Mike will come onto Gus' radar by kicking up a bit of a storm with the Salamancas, and their relationship will be born out of a 'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' situation.

Advertisement