Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

There was a couple of decent moments,but aside from that this has been a very poor season,with what was another pointless episode last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Bret Hart wrote: »
    There was a couple of decent moments,but aside from that this has been a very poor season,with what was another pointless episode last night.

Cant't understand why people like you watch shows that are "pointless" and "poor". :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

el diablo wrote: »
    Cant't understand why people like you watch shows that are "pointless" and "poor". :confused:

You have never in your life thought a season of TV was poor or an episode was filler? :confused:

Not the first time you have responded like this to less than favorable review, does it hurt your feelings when people express criticism at shows you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Unearthly wrote: »
    You have never in your life thought a season of TV was poor or an episode was filler? :confused:

Not the first time you have responded like this to less than favorable review, does it hurt your feelings when people express criticism at shows you like?

Yes, it cuts me up pretty bad when people criticize a TV show. :)

If I thought a show was that bad I'd probably stop watching. Life's too short.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

While it is beautifully made, and wonderfully acted, I do see people's point that it borders on being too slow. But then in fairness I think this just means more time in the BB universe, with all these great characters, so I just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I'd certainly love more progression, (i.e. Mike making the bell man appear ASAP!), but it's still head and shoulders above everything else at the moment. People comparing it to the walking dead, is like comparing the vengaboys with radiohead.

• Advertisement

The drawn out scenes usually don't bother me because there is something being told but Mike staking out Mr. Salamanca was 5 minutes longer than it needed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I doubt the whole "staking" over the 2 episodes amounted to even 3 minutes in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Why would you bother watching a season of "poor" TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I'd imagine it's common enough for some people, particularly if the first few episodes of a series have been good but then the quality deteriorates (at least according to the subjective opinion of an individual viewer). It's kind of a sunk cost fallacy - I've spent 5 hours of my life watching this already so I might as well stick with it & find out what happens at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Custardpi wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's common enough for some people, particularly if the first few episodes of a series have been good but then the quality deteriorates (at least according to the subjective opinion of an individual viewer). It's kind of a sunk cost fallacy - I've spent 5 hours of my life watching this already so I might as well stick with it & find out what happens at the end.

Lost :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No idea why you are asking a question that has an obvious answer but here it goes.

Maybe they enjoyed previous seasons? Maybe they think it will get better? There are plenty of examples of shows that had a poor season and recovered.

At the end of the day people will say if they liked/disliked an episode or season and that's the reason for discussion forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

el diablo wrote: »
    If I thought a show was that bad I'd probably stop watching. Life's too short.
    +1. Especially as its on TV, its not like they have bought a boxset and feel they have to get value from it. Or paid into a cinema and not want to leave.

If you paid for or made a meal and don't like it you might finish it so it does not go to waste, if you are at a buffet you do not continue eating something you find horrible, try something else!

Some of the BB haters were hilarious, allegedly "sufferring" though 3-4 seasons of "complete and utter shite" before giving up. I don't think any posters here have said BCS is total crap though.
    Lost :rolleyes:
    Lost was a bit different since people wanted to find out what the whole thing was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

rubadub wrote: »
    Lost was a bit different since people wanted to find out what the whole thing was about.

Heroes, even worse :o

Why are comic book films booming

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I like every second of it na na na na na :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I enjoyed this episode. It was interesting to see Chuck motivate himself to get into HHM. I'm not sure if he did it just to get at Jimmy/Kim or if he was simply doing it to save a huge contract for HHM. We do know that he's dedicated to his work and to HHM so, while I accept it looks bad, I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that his motivation was purely malicious.

I think the ongoing battle in Chucks mind is that Jimmy is a shyster, a pretender, a hustler whereas he feels himself as a noble man of the law. Yet Jimmy has become a lawyer and this disgusts Chuck. So Chuck deciding to go in and reclaim the MV deal explains the lengths he will go to put Jimmy in his place and show him who is boss.

Also, I think "Saul" is definitely coming out more and more. Kim asked him to stop the nonsense and the gimmicks directly when they were eating the pie (and he made the drug dealer guy make the video), he still resorted to gimmicks for the nursing home advert, and he is back doing it again now by altering the MV files. What I like about it is that his heart is in the right place. For instance, he didnt take the bribe from the Kettlemans in season one, he put it down to expenses. Obviously he is sailing close to the wind by altering these files, but his heart is in the right place, he is only doing it because he is desperate for Kim to succeed (even though she would prob be disgusted by these actions if/when she finds out)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And the test is once again to see how long the viewer will make excuses for his bending the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I think the ongoing battle in Chucks mind is that Jimmy is a shyster, a pretender, a hustler whereas he feels himself as a noble man of the law. Yet Jimmy has become a lawyer and this disgusts Chuck.
    velo.2010 wrote: »
    Just watched it now. Was that a look of regret from Jimmy - after Chuck said he would take care of him too if the roles were reversed - almost as if he wanted to undo the changes he made to the Mesa Verde files?
    Thought that look of regret thing was fantastic - he knows that Chuck could be a good person and would indeed probably do the right thing and look after Jimmy if needed. Chuck however cannot get over his "the law is scared" thing and is determined to stop Jimmy (and what he presumes is a partnership practice with Kim) - Jimmy knows this and so his look is slightly regretful, but not enough to change the files back again as he knows that Chuck's actions are sabotaging Kim.

Have to say I think Michael McKean is absolutely excellent in this - hard to believe this is David St. Hubbins!

The other thing with Mike - I'm wondering if he becomes responsible for Hector ending up in a wheelchair?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

serfboard wrote: »

The other thing with Mike - I'm wondering if he becomes responsible for Hector ending up in a wheelchair?

I thought this myself. Because his health is going to deteriorate very quickly. Plus it looks like that Mike's stinger will cause some damage.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

No idea why you are asking a question that has an obvious answer but here it goes.

Maybe they enjoyed previous seasons? Maybe they think it will get better? There are plenty of examples of shows that had a poor season and recovered.

At the end of the day people will say if they liked/disliked an episode or season and that's the reason for discussion forums.

Nope, don't get it.
    if you're sitting there not enjoying something, watch/do something else.
    why sit there fuming? is it optimism? because you've invested so much?

was watching a t.v series*, and had an epiphany that it was complete shyte.
    deleted all the episodes saved. but I didnt continue to watch it and complain it wasn't rubbish.

*Arrow. I know...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Custardpi wrote: »

I agree I watched "Dexter" first couple of seasons were great then it just went silly. But I stayed watching it.
    I saw a a few episodes of "Sons of Anarchy". It was OK until they started getting American actors in doing the funniest/worst versions of Irish accents that you ever heard. They were supposed to be IRA men! Then all the silly posturing and going around in biker costumes started to annoy me too. I could not take it seriously at all and stopped watching it. It turned into an unintentional comedy with bad acting.

I can understand why people could be getting bored of "Better Call Saul". It's pacing in very slow. Added to the fact that we already know how a lot of the main characters turn out in "Breaking Bad".

But for me I enjoy the pacing of BCS. It has a real life kind of pacing to it. It is not like a soap opera where the people are the unluckiest in the world and the worst things imaginable happen them in succession. Also unlike in soap opera's BCS keeps you guessing is this the moment he breaks bad? For want of a better phrase!
    The characters are fairly nuanced and subtle in Better Call Saul. Where it can be argued there are two sides to the argument of the person's action's.
    Even Mike's daughter in law Stacey? Why did she say the house was unsafe and there were gun shots. When Mike knew there was not?

There is no completely good or evil characters in Better Call Saul. Well arguably maybe Tuco. But even he showed a real caring side for his grandmother in season 1 of BCS. It was shown how he cared for his uncle Hector "Tio", in Breaking Bad.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Nope, don't get it.
    if you're sitting there not enjoying something, watch/do something else.
    why sit there fuming? is it optimism? because you've invested so much?

was watching a t.v series*, and had an epiphany that it was complete shyte.
    deleted all the episodes saved. but I didnt continue to watch it and complain it wasn't rubbish.

*Arrow. I know...

Well we are agreed about Arrow. I gave up near the end of season 2.

Saul has something Arrow doesn't, it's a spin-off from one of the greatest shows of all time. People won't give up that easily on Saul cause they know what the creater is capable of.

And I doubt people are fuming, just don't find it the greatest show ever as some do, and they are entitled to say so.

its not i wont brook criticism of it, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    just cant understand why someone will continue to watch something they're not enjoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't get this criticism about the show being so slow.. it's not Breaking Bad, and the whole premise is how Jimmy McGill becomes Saul Goodman - not "the zany adventures of Saul". Maybe it's the "I want everything NOW" phenomenon that's pretty much everywhere these days?

With the exception of Kim, I like pretty much everything about this show, especially Mike and Jimmy himself. As for the "nothing happens" argument, there's a massive amount of backstory and character development along with some great humor. If you want a "pretty much nothing happens" show I'd suggest The West Wing... that one I gave 3 seasons but besides people-talk-really-fast-during-the-crisis-of-the-week, there was very little else to recommend it** (with the exception of Martin Sheen himself of course!)

** Just my opinion mind :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

To those who find it too slow: Did you find season one too slow? Or is it that you expected pacing to pick up and this season is as equally slow?
    'Rectify' is very much a slower show - they literally had people watching paint dry in one episode...And yet it's still great TV.

I think the pace of BCS doesn't matter when you've got such great characters and humour. Definitely think that when he becomes Saul it will be the show's end - it's all about the journey, not the destination.

ixoy wrote: »
    To those who find it too slow: Did you find season one too slow? Or is it that you expected pacing to pick up and this season is as equally slow?
    'Rectify' is very much a slower show - they literally had people watching paint dry in one episode...And yet it's still great TV.

I think the pace of BCS doesn't matter when you've got such great characters and humour. Definitely think that when he becomes Saul it will be the show's end - it's all about the journey, not the destination.

Well for me slow is not a problem but you need to like the characters. I could name about 8 characters in Rectify who I like.

But when it's slow, and a character you have no interest in such as Kim it can drag. There was a scene a few episodes ago where it showed her on the phone ringing people. Groan

I could watch Mike all day though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

And the test is once again to see how long the viewer will make excuses for his bending the rules.

What are you referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

. There was a scene a few episodes ago where it showed her on the phone ringing people. Groan

And you actually think there was no point to those scenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I'm sure the colour of the post-it notes she was using even meant something! After how intricate BB was, I'm pretty sure almost everything is there for a reason.

The ice-creams from the driver in the last episode springs to mind, or even the spider crawling out from the tie in the intro at the start of the episode.

Edit: Actually, after posting this I had a quick look back at the intro and there is something written on the stick from the ice-cream...

KhBh6E0.png
    Awesome Microsoft paint skillz*

Which means "From our family to yours"

Which is the slogan we hear in the Pollos Hermanos ads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

rubadub wrote: »

Oh god, i gave that up after S01 & like a good book, i looked at the end/finale to see if there was a happy ending :p
    Heroes, even worse :o

Sadly i watched all of that, as it had great actors, but less interesting characters & less can be said about the new show :(

Anyway as someone said, "It's more about the Journey, not the Destination"

Advertisement