Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

ThisRegard wrote: »
    And you actually think there was no point to those scenes?

No

I don't like Kim, and have no interest in her scenes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Unearthly wrote: »
    No

not liking doesn't exactly equal no point though, for example those scenes show how she is a contrast to Jimmy and how she will do the long and non glamorous work even if she doesn't know if it'll pay off something Jimmy wouldn't do as he is the cut corners type. It's all character development but who knows there may have been a small detail in a scene like those that although not important now will suddenly become important later.

---

I think 2 things are happening here with the idea of BCS being slow too

1) Breaking Bad was slow paced so to expect BCS to be anything but that is silly

more importantly imo 2) BB despite being similarily paced was always going to have more action as it is about a chemistry teachers decent into a meth dealing criminal and what lenghts he will go to earn sh!t tonnes of money and keep it not about a Lawyer's decent into being a dodgy criminal lawyer.

The Meth Dealing criminal kingpin is always going to have more action packed scenes in his life than the lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭squonk

All this talk about 'if you don't enjoy a show, stop watching' is niggling me. A show can have a bad season. SoA was mentioned here before and, boy, was Season 3 bad but I stuck with it even though I had no particular interest in what was going on. The point being that I knew there was still potential there and if they reharnessed that potential, the show could get back on track. That happened subsequently but the show was damaged after that dodgy season I'll readilly admit. You can't just drop a show just because a particular season isn't going the way you like.

Rectify is up there as one of the greatest shows ever IMHO so I do love slow paced shows however I'm starting to wonder about BCS myself. My main problem is that one of the lynchpins of the show is pushing 70 so they realy can't drag the show out forever. Looking at things as they stand, there can't be 12 or 18 months elapsed since the series started. If they drag things out to the beginning of BB then you could be looking at 10-12 seasons and, while I don't see that as being realistic, it has to be a concern for Jonathan Banks availability. I wish the man long life but working on any show is a touch job and doing it in your 70s can't be especially easy. There may come a time soon when he just can't keep doing it.

At this point I accepted that Season 1 would be slow. BB Season 1 was slow but it moved a bit quicker after that. Now, nearing the end of Season 2 of BCS, I'm looking back wondering how all that time was spent on so little actually happening. That's not a problem per se but the Banks factor is for me a worrying factor. Rectify has a cast who are far younger and I'm happy to exist in that world because I know it can continue. Right now there's no indication of how many seasons are planned for BCS. It's like being on a journey not knowing when you'll arrive or where you are in terms of the length.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lads to clarify for third and final time

I'm not saying there was no point to them, I just didn't like the scenes cause I'm not invested in her character as say Mike and Saul (although he is getting dragged down by Kim and Chuck)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Lads to clarify for third and final time

I'm not saying there was no point to them, I just didn't like the scenes cause I'm not invested in her character as say Mike and Saul (although he is getting dragged down by Kim and Chuck)
    That's how stories work... usually there are external forces which result in the end status quo. It can't be just all Mike and Saul running around as they are in BB. This is showing how they become those characters. We are about to see what happens to Kim/Chuck that eventually turns Jimmy into Saul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Kim is a great character and a great role model for women. Who else would love to just say fcuk it and walk out of there job and start up there own business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

No

She's one of the main protagonist of the show who has a massive influence on Saul and his actions, and therefore the story. She's a good character.

Going back to the latest episode, I really loved that opening scene, it was a joy to watch, and listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

-=al=- wrote: »
    I'm sure the colour of the post-it notes she was using even meant something! After how intricate BB was, I'm pretty sure almost everything is there for a reason.

The ice-creams from the driver in the last episode springs to mind, or even the spider crawling out from the tie in the intro at the start of the episode.

Edit: Actually, after posting this I had a quick look back at the intro and there is something written on the stick from the ice-cream...

KhBh6E0.png
    Awesome Microsoft paint skillz*

Which means "From our family to yours"

Which is the slogan we hear in the Pollos Hermanos ads!

Anybody wanna place a bet on that ice cream place becoming Los Pollos Hermanos and this is how Mike becomes involved in that whole thing... with the debt that he owes to the cartel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

It was interesting to see Chuck motivate himself to get into HHM. I'm not sure if he did it just to get at Jimmy/Kim or if he was simply doing it to save a huge contract for HHM. We do know that he's dedicated to his work and to HHM so, while I accept it looks bad, I wouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that his motivation was purely malicious.
    Absolutely no question for me that Chuck went to that meeting because he thought he was going to lose Mace Verde to Jimmy, as opposed to just losing it in general. Sure, he cares about his company but it was the thought of Jimmy getting a plum contract that motivated him to do what is near impossible for him and brave the horrors of the lights and electricity and all that. That's why Howard went to see him. That's why he conveniently left out the part where Kim and Jimmy had separate businesses and that Jimmy wouldn't really gain anything from the Mace Verde deal. He wasn't going over there for a cramming session on financial law - he was manipulating Chuck into going in and it worked.

Oh and again, Saul is the end of this show, not the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wondered what the slogan was
    rubadub wrote: »
    I wondered if the slogan on the stick was some witty line that could be related to the drug trade. Think it was something about family.
    -=al=- wrote: »
    Which is the slogan we hear in the Pollos Hermanos ads!
    Others translated it but I did not see this mentioned.

One person was saying that they looked like tombstones.
    MrVestek wrote: »
    Anybody wanna place a bet on that ice cream place becoming Los Pollos Hermanos and this is how Mike becomes involved in that whole thing... with the debt that he owes to the cartel?
    I thought the chicken place was quite a remote place with no other buildings around it.

The actor playing Hector/Tio Salamanca is 76 now.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Hector_%22Tio%22_Salamanca
    Hector was rendered invalid possibly from a stroke or some form of motor neuron disease; such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)/Lou Gehrig's disease. The reason why it is suspected that he suffered from a form of motor neuron disease is because in the flashback episodes featuring Hector Salamanca, it appears that he is beginning to show signs of muscular degeneration.

pollos_hermanos-672xXx80.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

its not i wont brook criticism of it, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    just cant understand why someone will continue to watch something they're not enjoying!

The-fallacy-of-sunk-cost...-It%2527s-what-gamblers-do.-They-throw-good-money-after-bad-thinking-they-can-turn-their-luck-around.-It%2527s-like%252C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

I love this show, love the pace and love the character development. And i wasnt even the biggest BB fan to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

By the time we get to BB Los Pollos Hermanos is a sizable chain. It's possible that the icecream place does become one of the first branches, though not the one Gus later uses as his headquarters or possibly some sort of processing facility for the firm. As regards Uncle Salamanca's condition in BB the assessment of stroke is probably correct but can't strokes be brought on by extreme stress or shock, such as might be caused by one's car hitting a stinger at high speed?

ive been thinking all this time, Mike is the reason the Uncle is how he is in BB, he put him in that state somehow, the hows is what ive not firgured out though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Gator88

Love this show. I wasn't sure about it at first but its getting better week after week. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Is Los Pollos Hermanos the same place where the Ice Cream Parlour is.

In the episode before the last on when Mike was on his stake out for a moment I thought he ended up outside a Los Pollos Hermanos store and not a the Ice Cream Parlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I kinda hope they don't go with Mike being the cause of Hector's condition. The Salamancas wouldn't let something like that go lightly, so if there was even a hint someone caused it, they'd constantly chase to find out who it was. Unless Mike was able to do it (likely while attempting to kill Hector) without there being even the tiniest bit of suspicion directed his way, it's implausible to me that they wouldn't have killed Mike. But even then, the fact Mike very recently stood up to Hector in the restaurant and given they likely know his history, he'd have to be one of the main suspects from the off.

Hell I'd almost prefer if just before Mike was about to make his move, Hector just had a stroke out of nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I'm thinking whatever Jimmy did forging those documents gets pinned on Kim and fcuks up her career.

I'm thinking whatever Jimmy did forging those documents gets pinned on Kim and fcuks up her career.

oh good call, i can see that happening

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A lot of people seem to think Jonathan Banks is sick. Is this based on anything or so you all think 70 is positively ancient?

Ellen Burstyn is still acting everyone off the screen at 83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

A lot of people seem to think Jonathan Banks is sick. Is this based on anything or so you all think 70 is positively ancient?

Ellen Burstyn is still acting everyone off the screen at 83

So he'll be close to eighty years old in Breaking Bad. A bit old to be an "enforcer" eh? :P

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    So he'll be close to eighty years old in Breaking Bad. A bit old to be an "enforcer" eh? :P

A bit like Father Jack you could probably place Banks's age as anywhere from mid fifties to mid eighties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

A bit like Father Jack you could probably place Banks's age as anywhere from mid fifties to mid eighties.

Yeah right, he doesn't look a day under 70 at the moment. Look, it's fine, we just have to suspend our disbelief at this stage. There's nothing they can do about it so I'm not too hung up on it. The Kaylee thing bothers me more - it would have been very easy to get a younger actress to play her instead so she looks remotely like the age she's supposed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Kim is a great character and a great role model for women. Who else would love to just say fcuk it and walk out of there job and start up there own business?

I get a feeling something bad is about to happen to her every scene, and it's what causes the final morph from James to Saul

Mousewar wrote: »
    Yeah right, he doesn't look a day under 70 at the moment. Look, it's fine, we just have to suspend our disbelief at this stage. There's nothing they can do about it so I'm not too hung up on it. The Kaylee thing bothers me more - it would have been very easy to get a younger actress to play her instead so she looks remotely like the age she's supposed to be.

Banks is 69 right now.

He's lived a fairly hard life over the years so to be honest I'd have the character in his early 60's in Better Call Saul and he was in the mid to late 60's in Breaking Ba.

He looks perfectly reasonable at both ages.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Unless the show is still going in ten years' time it's not exactly an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

My father in law is near enough to 80 and he reminds me of Mike, as tough as an old ox, takes no ****e, been there done that, got the t-shirt when t-shirts weren't fashionable.... :pac:
    I was addicted to breaking bad, have binge watched it, preached it like a dementited gob****e to friends and family, but as far as I'm concerned bbs blows it out of the water, I love it.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

I think with Mike its not his age. He gives off a confidence that he'll get **** done. His voice is amazing and he has a laconic way about him.

A great character. Perfer Mikes story lines to Jimmys any day.

Ok hes a bit older. Doesnt mean hes sick or dying. Jesus people get a bit hysterical.

Calm down. Its a goddamn TV show. With actors.

Jonathon banks goes home and picks up his pay check. I'm sure he loves what he does but I guess he doesn't analyse the **** out of every scene.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Some great posts on that guy's feed. Really cool seeing the behind the scenes stuff. Here's another tweet of his some here might like to take note of.

https://twitter.com/TomSchnauz/status/717817197482016768

Advertisement