Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Heckler wrote: »
    Ok hes a bit older. Doesnt mean hes sick or dying. Jesus people get a bit hysterical.

Calm down.
    Every post I saw about him seemed very calm, and most certianly not hysterical. Maybe I missed some post though. Can anybody quote any hysterical poster who they think needs to calm down?

This is the only one I could spot that someone might have an issue with. Sounds fairly calm and FAR from hysterical though...
    That BCS is supposed to focus on the past, they would have to contrive some story if Jonathan Banks dies, your right. Banks does look fairly f**ked and worn out. I hope for his sake and BCS he looks after himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

rubadub wrote: »
    Every post I saw about him seemed very calm, and most certianly not hysterical. Maybe I missed some post though. Can anybody quote any hysterical poster who they think needs to calm down?

This is the only one I could spot that someone might have an issue with. Sounds fairly calm and FAR from hysterical though...

I nearly went in "hysterics" of laughter at this. I think my post was in reply to another poster who said if a actor died it would be difficult to a rewrite because of "Breaking Bad" as BCS is a prequel. Maybe I should have thrown in smiley!?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

For anyone wondering about Jonathan Banks, he's not doing too bad:

By the way, that's DOCTOR Jonathan Banks too :)

https://twitter.com/IUBloomington/status/719605950026424320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Brilliant as always, watching this spin off compared to fear the walking dead last night is like going from a happy meal to fine cuisine :)

The shot when he was standing in front of the flag was brilliant, as were the scenes with Kim.

Finally Chuck heaved and it took Jimmy outsmarting him to push him over the edge, the scene of him hitting his head was a bit shocking. All set up nicely for next week with the Mike angle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Holy ****, that episode nearly had me suffocating I was holding my breath at the end! Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Bloody hell that was one of the finest episodes of television I've ever seen!!

Brilliant! It just sucked you right in and wouldn't let go until the end no matter how much squirming you did!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

have to take my words back on saying this show is slow :o
    While it is,but its very different when i think now its the type of show were you just chill in and it draws you,no need to overthink or complicate stuff thus just enjoying small scenes,Kim seems really great actress,never seen her in any shows before,but pure talent is there just watching two of them painting walls sorta useless scene but at the same makes you feel in tune with characters and this ordinary reality they have.

It was unexpected turn to see her switching to Jimmys side at last second while at Chucks place,and even thou he seemed really bad towards end,still think f^&k Chuck him going to extreme lengths to get him sacked just for justice - then comparing him saying i would do the same for you as in last episode,hes no different while he stays on path but he manipulates people instead of law.So questions that remain on him what happened with his wife and what caused his illness,since from s1 its clear its mental induced.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Well that's what happens when a show is a slow burn... when something dramatic finally happens, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Brilliant episode signs of Saul coming out of Jimmy now with the trickery in filming the TV add with the American flag in the background to paying off the copier store guy, also interesting to see Kim start to take Jimmy's side I think it finally dawned on her that everything that Jimmy did to win back the client for her was when Chuck told her "Jimmy did it for you", not saying she likes what he did but accepts it and goes along with it by giving out to chuck for the way he has treated Jimmy.
    On the Mike story again we see him trying not to hurt someone but indirectly gets the person who found the driver killed! I think once Mike hears this he is not done with Tio Salamanca just yet!
    Also surprised Mike didn't tip off the cops about the truck and driver!
    Unfortunately I think next week is the season finale and I am fairly confident it will be a good one, possibly ending with an appearance of someone else from the Breaking Bad universe possibly Gus Fring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Just thinking... Will Chuck's accident result in someone looking over that security tape?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Great episode comeuppance chuck, comeuppance hector.
    Good stuff. And a further conflicted Jimmy. I have a feeling Chuck dies or is seriously injured.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

I actually thought that Kevin Costner was in the car, before Jimmy got out to film the commercial. :D
    [IMG][/img]Saul.jpg upload a gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

That was a fantastic episode. Mike didn't give a **** admitting he pulled off the robbery.

I felt so bad for Jimmy in the final few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

If I ever see a trucker tied up in the middle of the desert, I'll say a prayer for him as I drive past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Best episode of this season by some distance. I've been a little disappointed in parts only because of the standards that season 1 set. I've no problem with 'slow' pacing but for a couple of midway episodes I think the show was testing the viewer's patience.

However, this was just perfect. The showdown scene in Chuck's house was incredible. Just the look on Kim's face as it dawned on her what Jimmy had done, a mixture of shock and sadness...and then without blinking she takes Jimmy's side. Brilliant stuff.

Then that last scene in the photocopy shop. You knew something would happen that might force Jimmy's intervention but what the hell does he do now? It was a classic Walter White-style moral dilemma. Can't wait for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

That one episode was a lot better than a lot of good feature length films I've sat through.

Excellent, who new what was hidden in the truck ?band where it was hidden ?

I thought drugs in the ice cream.

Kim looked seriously hot in jeans and shirt decorating attire, much more attractive the the cheap business suit.

Very clever of her taking on Chuck to save Jimmy's ass and perhaps get to keep the new business, or was it just for the business ?I don't think so , more because as she explained it would mean serious jeopardy with the law for Jimmy , who's not perfect , but he's means well.

Chuck is nasty lawery type arsehole even though he's wrong he's technically right which has been Jimmy's dilemma all his life , big right brother syndrome , gloating I told you so. A good song for the series would be the undertones " my perfect Cousin "

At least Jimmy didn't run into the printers and give the game away at the end.

Interesting use of cars again with the nerdy quiet Ernesto driving a seriously bad ass EVO VII which incidentally started production 2001 > is this correct for the era ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Agreed with everyone here, that was a great episode, I cursed the end credits, wanted it to continue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Brilliant episode today.

The best of the series so far.

Both Saul and Mike are causing so much trouble for people around them that although we like them and root for them its impossible to say they are anything close to the good guys in this series.Kim is not without blood on her hands now as she is validating Jimmy's dodginess and has effectively made a deal with the devil (that will surely cost her) by going a long with Mesa Verde despite knowing how she got the contract.

Frankly the way it is looking Chuck and Howard are probably the only decent people (and even they aren't close to perfect) in the series despite them being set up as the villains initially.

All the characters are all balanced between good and bad and they all have so much depth which is a credit to the writing and acting which is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Possible returning character in the finale (only a theory but a very clever one):
    when you take the first letter of each episode title — "Switch," "Cobbler," "Amarillo," "Gloves Off," "Rebecca," "Bali Ha'i," "Inflatable," "Fifi," "Nailed" and "Klick" — you get the letters S, C, A, G, R, B, I, F, N and K.

Unscramble that, and here's what you get: "Fring's Back."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,251 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I did wonder near the end will Jimmy end up making the 911 call, or decide to break cover and go into the shop, gotten very messy for him

And not looking good for Chuck

Great episode but I've totally enjoyed them all, haven't minded the slower pace to some episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Maybe the bump on the head will knock some clarity into Chuck's brain & he'll wake up cured of his electrophobia (or whatever it's called).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've loved this season, but that episode was just fan-bloody-tastic from beginning to end.

I feel this may be a contender for best episode when the boards.ie TV Awards roll around this year...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Mr E wrote: »
    Possible returning character in the finale (only a theory but a very clever one):
    when you take the first letter of each episode title — "Switch," "Cobbler," "Amarillo," "Gloves Off," "Rebecca," "Bali Ha'i," "Inflatable," "Fifi," "Nailed" and "Klick" — you get the letters S, C, A, G, R, B, I, F, N and K.

WOW!!!!!

Hope it´s true.

Anyway, fantastic episode, when I saw the cactus and BrBa style cinematography at the start I knew we were in for a good one! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asaiah

I was not a fan of BB, but BBS is my current fav series. I love the pace and the way it intermingles the mundane, dramatic and hilarious with great cinematography, scene building and character depth. Jimmy, Kim and Mike are excellent characters. Chuck is the only one that's a bit too unrealistic for me. Great episode, Bravo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Great episode.
    I reckon that could be the end of Chuck.
    I was delighted when Kim took Jimmys side when chuck confronted them both about Jimmys fraud.
    I think that came as a big surprise to Chuck who thought he had Kim wrapped around his finger.
    If Chuck does end up dying it's not Jimmys fault. It's like Kim said Chuck never wanted Jimmy to succeed and was immensely jealous of any good fortune he had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Or...... Fang Bricks!

We could find out Chuck is a vampire and he has a coffin in the brickwork of his house.

Or... maybe your one :pac:

I've just come across that now, as it looks like someone posted that 2wks ago ;)

Brilliant episode, worth waiting for!

Should we be worried for Wexler? ;)

As that was a kind turn she down for Jimmy, As for Howard it looks like a fatal consequence & what was going thru Jimmy's conscience then, watching that unfold in front of him.

Wow, they 'Million Dollar Babied' Chuck, the shot of him falling was quite visceral and real. Since I believe that Chuck isn't going to be the same again - this will either kill him or leave him in a vegetative state - this is a massive turning point in the journey of Jimmy McGill.

Michael McKean has been top class as Chuck in this show and I will miss him if that's him gone. His acting in that climactic scene in the photocopy store was a masterclass. He flicked between aggression and anxiety with such ease as Chuck tried to question the store attendant, but also try to get a grip on the psychotic episode that was coming on. I believed it, and found it gripping viewing.

The way that scene was set up and shot was perfect, and quite an appropriate send off to Chuck if it was to be one. The store took on the setting of a courtroom for a short time. Chuck totally resembled the cut throat litigator he is as he grilled the nervous store attendant with multiple direct questions across the counter. The other customers in the store, the ones having trouble with the copier, when they interjected with their query and broke up the questioning that to me seemed like the 'objection' in the courtroom. Chuck's response to them was made with the veracity and passion that he would make to a fellow litigator who objected/disturbed him in the courtroom.

Tragically however, the main purpose of those other customers in the scene were to get the store clerk away from the counter, and therefore Chuck too. To get him way from the counter he was using for physical support, and out in the open where the worst could happen. I saw this in hindsight though. During my viewing of it, I thought the worst that would happen would be that Jimmy would get ousted. Either that, or Ernie (Ernesto!) would convince the ailing Chuck to retreat and rest to fight another day.

What actually happened shocked me, and in an acceptable way too. Credit to Gilligan and co, their writing is anything but predictable but yet this is something that could have happened in the real world. Unfortunately I'm sure that many of us who will know of some poor soul who suffered a similar fate. Was grand - fell - struck head - didn't wake up the next day. Chuck's fate in that scene is totally believable for me and earned on the show's part. Earned after two seasons of showing us that despite being a clever, strong, determined character, Chuck was also fragile and vulnerable. If that's it for him, he went out fighting and more importantly, 100% correct; Jimmy did forge the Mesa Verde documents to favour Kim. My faith in Jimmy dwindled in this episode, but I still felt sorry for him as he watched his brother fall to the floor and plead for them to 'call for an ambulance, call 911'.

I've so much written but have only touched on a few minutes of a stellar episode of television. I loved everything about Kim in this episode, most of all her showdown with Chuck. She definitely knows Chuck was telling the truth about Jimmy and the forgery. For a few reasons, most of all her telling Jimmy in a subtle way in bed that night to make sure he didn't leave any evidence anywhere with her "If you're going to go up against Chuck, cross every T and dot every I" warning. How she progresses now, be it to fall in deeper with Jimmy or to try to get the wheels in motion to put some distance between himself and her, I do not know.

Then there's Mike. After two episodes of seeing him stakeout the Salamanca crew, we got a wonderful payoff in the opening scene. I love how they are using the show's openings by the way. They have been used to set up the story for an episode, or to offer exposition on a character, to show us a glimpse at Jimmy's past, or in this case; the climax to something viewers have been seeking for a while. I did not expect that to go down in this episode, let alone the opening, and from then on it all just seemed to be going a little too perfect for Mike.

He got to smile for a bit, he got to flirt with a girl to the point where she asked him around to shovel her driveway (wahey!), he got to see what it was like to flash a bit of cash and buy a round at the bar. Things were going well. What brought Mike back down to Earth wasn't the fact that Nacho worked out that he carried out the heist, it was the fact that a 'good Samaritan' met a vicious, untimely end because of his direct actions. Despite carrying out a heist to rip off a drug cartel, Mike tried to be the good Samaritan himself in sparing the van driver. No matter how much you think you have a handle on things though, no matter how much planning you've undertaken or control you think you have over a situation, life and random occurrences find a way. Mike thought he could do this and keep it contained, as a result some unfortunate innocent who Mike never even met got killed. I get the feeling there will be no more half measures from Mike.

I like the interesting parallel in this episode between Jimmy and Mike despite the different class of the characters that surround them. Jimmy tried to do good thing despite some nefarious actions- sabotage HMM's deal with Mesa to give Kim a hell of a boost to her new venture, and in turn did an unforeseen bad - severely/fatally injure his brother who did not deserve such a fate. The same with Mike - despite carrying out a heist, he tried to do a good thing in sparing the driver, only for that to create a chain of events which would lead to the death of a kind-hearted innocent who also didn't deserve the fate they met.

These are tragic events. Whatever about what happened with Mike, he will learn from this and there will be no more half measures, but Jimmy is a different thing. Chuck's fate and Jimmy's hand in it will be the making of Saul Goodman. I would far prefer this slow-burn, character building approach with layers of depth, than Jimmy just deciding one episode out of the blue "Screw it, I'm going to represent dodgy clients, wear loud suits and call myself Saul Goodman". I get the feeling that he will have no choice but to change his name, be it shame or whatever other reason, not primarily because of a gimmick.

• Advertisement

No doubt it maybe the turning point for Jimmy to change his name & Kim...?

Advertisement