Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Tigger wrote: »
    I think you called this perfectly

Thank you Sir, it had to be Gus who stopped Mike, although I did expect Mike to take a shot at Hector and not kill him but leave him in a wheelchair! Also did anyone think that Nacho was standing on purpose in front of Hector? Maybe he has hooked up with Gus and was told to stand in front of Hector! It will be good to have Gus back next season and build that story between Gus and Mike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Wasn't expecting Jimmy to be so gullible; beaten at his own game. I didn't expect the tape recorder though; I thought there was a witness hiding behind the tinfoil sheeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Great opening scene you expected to see Jimmy sitting by Chucks bedside but the Nurse moves away to reveal Chuck in the chair beside him as they sit beside their dying mother! The scene sets up nicely for the final scene as Chuck really hates Jimmy as his parents love Jimmy more then Chuck! The thing is Jimmy loves his brother even Edwardo can see that Chuck had it in for Jimmy and tells Jimmy! Chuck is going to hang Jimmy out to dry and doesn't care if he ends up in Jail! It will be interesting to see how this will play out in the next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wasn't expecting Jimmy to be so gullible; beaten at his own game. I didn't expect the tape recorder though; I thought there was a witness hiding behind the tinfoil sheeting.

Yeah I wasn't buying Chuck's act, but I thought that Ernesto would step out or something.. I'm amazed that Jimmy confessed so easily though.

Agree with the comment above.. Mike's story is the more interesting one I think and is actually going somewhere. We're all excited about Gus being back because we want to see how Mike ends up working for him etc
    With Jimmy it looks like another season of him vs Chuck with Kim still dragging the show down. I like Jimmy and I don't mind the slow pacing, but it's not actually going anywhere except in a slow lazy circle at the minute.

I guess "Better Call Mike" doesn't have the same ring to it but I'd be surprised if the producers haven't realised that he's the more interesting character.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The tape won't be admissible evidence cause it was unauthorised. Am I right or has previous TV shows lied to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Unearthly wrote: »
    The tape won't be admissible evidence cause it was unauthorised. Am I right or has previous TV shows lied to me

I think it will the Mafia and drug lords were bugged by the secret services all the time.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'd say it was an explosive finale even though, well, no one died and no punches were thrown. Using the past to inform the present. Good to see Clea DuVall and Jim Beaver again. I was a little luke warm on s1, the tone seems better realised this season. I really like how the story is informing the relationship between Jimmy and Chuck. The final shot, because of the tone, is less of a dun dun dun finale, and more of an 'ah ha' moment. No matter Jimmy's tactics, he can't match Chuck's intelligence. Now it's a matter of when he'll crash and burn or screw Chuck over. I think the show can still deliver a lot in that respect.

Mike's sniper scene felt like a shout out to Hitchcock's Rear Window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I wonder was Gus the person who left the note for Mike telling him not to shoot.

I was certain we were going to find out why Tio Salmanca ended up in the wheelchair.

Good episode and it set things up nicely for next season.

I haven't a clue how Jimmy is going to wriggle his way of the situation he's in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Over all very tame finale, I was hoping they would at least kill off chuck, In two seasons Jimmy's story has gone nowhere to be honest.

The ending was also very predictable after it showed chuck searching the garage it became completely obvious he was going to record Jimmy's confession.

Anyone who thinks this is even close to BB needs to have a long hard look at themselves IMO.

Better Call Saul is top quality it's a different type of show where the balance is much more focused on character than plot.

Breaking Bad was quiet slow itself early on as well , it only really got going from Season 3 onwards when Gus became the arch villain.

I'd view Breaking Bad's pacing similar to a good novel starts off slow and gradually build and builds as it goes on.I think Better Call Saul is going that way as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Really enjoyed that, believed in Chuck's charade at the end right up until Jimmy uttered those words "It's your word against mine"...... lightbulb moment then and realised what Chuck was in the garage for. Me no like Chuck.

Had a chuckle at Ernesto muttering "I miss the mail room" :)

Has to be Gus with the note to stop Mike, thought an appearance in person would materialise in the last of second last scene be not to be .

Unearthly wrote: »

I don't think Chuck will have Jimmy reported to the authorities, just admit to the Bank crew and the HHM posse what he did ..... maybe just HHM as the Bank crew would want action taken. On top of that, he'll insist on no more using the family name in the name of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I wonder was Gus the person who left the note for Mike telling him not to shoot.

I was certain we were going to find out why Tio Salmanca ended up in the wheelchair.

Good episode and it set things up nicely for next season.

I haven't a clue how Jimmy is going to wriggle his way of the situation he's in now.

Yeah I'm really disappointed,I was sure the big reveal was going to be that Mike was responsible for Tio's ending up paraplegic.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Crap

Where the hell was Fring ?

Anyway, too much Chuck story (dead wood at this stage), I thought we had finally ditched him now we have another season of the prick trying to ruin Sauls life.

5 minutes of the Mike story which is the best part of the show.

Very very poor finale.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Yeah I'm really disappointed,I was sure the big reveal was going to be that Mike was responsible for Tio's ending up paraplegic.:(

That will be in series 3 ... or maybe 4 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asaiah

Am I the only one who likes the whole Jimmy/Chuck/Kim story? I really am enjoying it. The actor who plays Chuck is fantastic.

Mikes great too, but no surprises in his story or development. I like the dynamic between the two story lines, and how they occasionally meet.

Really enjoyed the episode, sucks that it's over for another year. Bring on Game of Thrones!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Better Call Saul is top quality it's a different type of show where the balance is much more focused on character than plot.

Breaking Bad was quiet slow itself early on as well , it only really got going from Season 3 onwards when Gus became the arch villain.

I'd view Breaking Bad's pacing similar to a good novel starts off slow and gradually build and builds as it goes on.I think Better Call Saul is going that way as well.

I think they are very similar shows in regard to plot and character hell even the main theme of the show is the same. BB had a good balance between plot and character, Jessie and Walt were iconic characters more intresting than any in BCS, your right BCS is more driven by the characters but this is more because its plot isnt up to scratch rather than the characters being really good.

BB was slow at the start but not compared to this, this almost feels like its going in reverse some times.

Asaiah wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes the whole Jimmy/Chuck/Kim story? I really am enjoying it. The actor who plays Chuck is fantastic.

Mikes great too, but no surprises in his story or development. I like the dynamic between the two story lines, and how they occasionally meet.

Really enjoyed the episode, sucks that it's over for another year. Bring on Game of Thrones!

It's good , but not dominating 80% of a finale when there is a much better half of the story to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

This post has been deleted.
    same as here then

I think they are very similar shows in regard to plot and character hell even the main theme of the show is the same. BB had a good balance between plot and character, Jessie and Walt were iconic characters more intresting than any in BCS, your right BCS is more driven by the characters but this is more because its plot isnt up to scratch rather than the characters being really good.

BB was slow at the start but not compared to this, this almost feels like its going in reverse some times.

I disagree, Jessie and Walt were mediocre characters in my opinion. Walt was a nasty piece of work by the end. I could understand him when the premise was looking after his family after he died, but when his family broke up he just became a worthless evil scum bag. Jessie was like a character you would see in a Jay and silent bob movie. Mike, Guss, Saul and a few others held that show together.

This show is very different to breaking bad. Far superior in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But afaik imdb can be edited by users like Wikipedia, so carefull there.
    That description of the plot of season 3 episode 1 is now taken down, so must have been a hoax, did appear to give too much away.

The ending was also very predictable after it showed chuck searching the garage it became completely obvious he was going to record Jimmy's confession.
    +1, seemed so obvious I was wondering if Jimmy suspected it and was giving a full confession like that on purpose. He already saw he was out to expose him. Also wonder if Chuck was faking his condition immediately after the scan.
    Also did anyone think that Nacho was standing on purpose in front of Hector? Maybe he has hooked up with Gus and was told to stand in front of Hector!
    It seemed that way. One or maybe 2 shots showed Mike from a distance as though he was being watched. It may not have been Gus himself leaving notes but one of his lads, they could have rang Nacho and told him where Mike was positioned.

I want to rewatch the bit with Nacho in that barn/warehouse place talking to Mike, to see if there were any hints that he is working for Gus. I could picture Nacho introducing Mike to Gus in a similar or same place, Gus stepping out behind some pillar and an episode ending before anything is said.

• Advertisement

It's good , but not dominating 80% of a finale when there is a much better half of the story to look at.

But it's about Jimmy and his dodgy legal practice, so why should this story not dominate the finale?

Mike just being set up as a future dogsbody. The shows not about drug dealers knocking each other off, that was done to death, pardon the pun, in breaking bad.

How unnecessary was the charade Jimmy but on to get the shot of him standing in front of the Flag?
    In the ad on tv we see him standing in front of the flag at the end they dont pan down from the pole or anything, they could have shot it anywhere, I guess he cant do anything by the book even when its much easier.

Asaiah wrote: »
    I disagree, Jessie and Walt were mediocre characters in my opinion. Walt was a nasty piece of work by the end. I could understand him when the premise was looking after his family after he died, but when his family broke up he just became a worthless evil scum bag. Jessie was like a character you would see in a Jay and silent bob movie. Mike, Guss, Saul and a few others held that show together.

This show is very different to breaking bad. Far superior in my opinion.

I dont know how you can say Walt and Jessie were mediocre characters, walt became a real bad guy but love or loathe him for this he was still brillant, Jessie was allot more complex than anyone in jay and silent bob, Mike Gus and Saul were only by standers imo.

The main theme in bcs is Jimmys transition to Saul this is very similar to Walts transition in BB only Walts so far was alot more compelling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Alternative take on the "Don't" note:

The B & W modern-day Gus will, in Season 3, encounter Jessie again (perhaps in the S3 opener). Realising what their lives are now like, Jessie notes that the real problems began with Salamanca. Jessie therefore time travels back ("science bitch!") and stops Mike from shooting Salamanca. That's the reason for the obscure note - he can't obviously tell Mike what his plan is.
    Stopping the Salamanca shot creates a new timeline in which ultimately Mike won't die, allowing for many future seasons and for the plots to go to unexpected places.

Let's see if my theory pans out.

I dont know how you can say Walt and Jessie were mediocre characters, walt became a real bad guy but love or loathe him for this he was still brillant, Jessie was allot more complex than anyone in jay and silent bob, Mike Gus and Saul were only by standers imo.

The main theme in bcs is Jimmys transition to Saul this is very similar to Walts transition in BB only Walts so far was alot more compelling.

Again I totally disagree. Walt was a chore and a bore to watch, Jimmy's a real interesting, multi layered character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

If I were in Mike's position, I would have covered my head when I was hunkered down

1) for sun protection
    2) to stop the glare from his bald head giving away his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Morrissey

I want coffee.

But I do not want cream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

^^ I want that on a t-shirt, or "Gimme Jimmy!"

fmlfY9x.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

If I were in Mike's position, I would have covered my head when I was hunkered down

1) for sun protection
    2) to stop the glare from his bald head giving away his position.

3) Glare from the lens of the sniper rifle, also may have gave himself away?

Ernesto - "I miss the mail room" :p

So Fring's Back?

He can deal with Chuck

CgXigLPUAAAvFZr.jpg

• Advertisement

Who was that tied up in the van? Or do we care?

Advertisement