Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

rob316 wrote: »
    Very poor I thought after a great episode last week. The viewer is been short changed here, that isn't a finale, nothing really happened again.

I don't know what the things are that people want to happen that don't, explosions, shoot outs? Plenty happened in the episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't know what the things are that people want to happen that don't, explosions, shoot outs? Plenty happened in the episode.

Plenty happened in a story that a lot of viewers don't have the same interest in the Mike story.

Mike Story had far too little time on it, Chucks had too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Chuck has a major influence on Jimmys character up until the point we're at. Mike doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

nananananananana I enjoyed it yet again

...now I have to wait a year for more :{

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

I wonder will they do a few online mini webisodes between now & the new season. Not necessarily anything plot related (no harm in throwing in a few "Easter eggs" though) but just a few extra bits/funny skits from the characters lives. That was a great addition to BB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Chuck has a major influence on Jimmys character up until the point we're at. Mike doesn't.

I agree at first, but in a sense.. The problem was that Chuck COULDN'T influence Jimmy in the way he intended. Jimmy was/is intrinsically flawed ( I think his real turning point was when the conman in his dad's shop talked about wolves and sheep and Jimmy decided he wanted to be a wolf.) no matter what Chuck did Jimmy was always Slipping Jimmy,

I wonder if Chuck hadn't gotten Jimmy under his wing in H&M would Jimmy have wound up in jail or dead (which probably contradicts my above point and supports the previous poster!). If anything, Jimmy's legal experience and shyster ways are a perfect marriage in terms of getting out of trouble. Although he is on the run now though after BB.

Also, mike is the one who tempts Jimmy away from representing geriatrics and back to being a 'criminal' lawyer... and I presume he'll do so again.

But what a great TV show, I had my doubts before it started but even when nothing happens in an episode there is great character development and storytelling.

If anyone here had a choice to start watching BCS or BB for the first time which one would you prefer to watch first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    If anyone here had a choice to start watching BCS or BB for the first time which one would you prefer to watch first?

No question BB, a lot of the moments in BcS would be meaningless without the connection they have to BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Asaiah wrote: »
    Am I the only one who likes the whole Jimmy/Chuck/Kim story? I really am enjoying it. The actor who plays Chuck is fantastic.

Mikes great too, but no surprises in his story or development. I like the dynamic between the two story lines, and how they occasionally meet.

Really enjoyed the episode, sucks that it's over for another year. Bring on Game of Thrones!

Michael McKean, legend!

That's him, the blond.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That scene with their Mother! No wonder Chuck hates Jimmy.

Jimmy saying he is Nixon then Chuck doing what he did was so predictable but still had me smirking.

They are excellent in their roles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No question BB, a lot of the moments in BcS would be meaningless without the connection they have to BB.

Ya I suppose it would be 'too linear' going from BCS to BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I agree at first, but in a sense.. The problem was that Chuck COULDN'T influence Jimmy in the way he intended. Jimmy was/is intrinsically flawed ( I think his real turning point was when the conman in his dad's shop talked about wolves and sheep and Jimmy decided he wanted to be a wolf.) no matter what Chuck did Jimmy was always Slipping Jimmy,

I wonder if Chuck hadn't gotten Jimmy under his wing in H&M would Jimmy have wound up in jail or dead (which probably contradicts my above point and supports the previous poster!). If anything, Jimmy's legal experience and shyster ways are a perfect marriage in terms of getting out of trouble. Although he is on the run now though after BB.

Also, mike is the one who tempts Jimmy away from representing geriatrics and back to being a 'criminal' lawyer... and I presume he'll do so again.

But what a great TV show, I had my doubts before it started but even when nothing happens in an episode there is great character development and storytelling.

Breaking Bad all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I guess "Better Call Mike" doesn't have the same ring to it but I'd be surprised if the producers haven't realised that he's the more interesting character.
    "This season on Better Call Mike, Mike stares at Mexicans...from a distance...again!"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"This season on Better Call Mike, Mike stares at Mexicans...from a distance...again!"

This weeks episode of Sing-along with Hank, Taylor Swift.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Good question.

On one hand, as said above, some moments in BCS will be diminished having not seen BB.

But BCS is still an excellent show on it's own and it would be interesting to watch it from the perspective of not knowing what's in store for characters like Mike, Hector, Gus (if he appears), Tuco and his henchman etc. I'd imagine it would raise tensions and make things more interesting for those that didn't see BB and don't know the eventual outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

^^ :D

I have to say I found the whole season pretty underwhelming. I don't mind slow paced shows, as long as I feel the journey it's taking me on is going somewhere interesting or unexpected.

The problem with BCS, is that we know where it's going and unfortunately I don't find the journey very inetersting or unexpected. We've had two seasons now of Jimmy pandering to his mentally unstable and resentful older brother who, despite Jimmy doing his best to go straight and looking after his every need, still constantly wants to undermine him at every turn. Chuck's character is just annoying at this stage - there's no progression with his character at all. Jimmy just can't win, whatever inroads he tries to make.
    We're going into season three now and still no sign of Saul. Back stories are great 'n all if done well, but I wanted to see Saul Goodman doing what he did best in BB - crooked lawyering, his criminal connections and his brilliance at getting in and out of very sticky situations. We had a glimpse of this at the beginning of Season One, but the whole Chuck thing has gone on for too long now, in my opinion.

I even found Mike incessently stalking Hector more interesting than any of the Chuck stuff. At least there was some suspense involved in that one! The most suspense I got from the Chuck segments was whether ot not he'd finally cark it in the penultimate episode, but no - he survived and the resentment cycle just perpetuated again.

I hate giving up on a show, especially one written by someone as great as Gilligan, but unless Season Three's journey finally goes somewhere good (man), I'm not sure I could waste another 10 hours watching Chuck wrapped in foil being a jealous brat and waiting for Jimmy's on-off girlfriend to dump him for being a less than straight shooter again.

I also have a felling the Gus carrott is being dangled, but may not actually be revealed until the very end of the next season, if at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I guess "Better Call Mike" doesn't have the same ring to it but I'd be surprised if the producers haven't realised that he's the more interesting character.
    With sidekick arms dealer/drinking buddy Jim Beaver!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

waiting for Jimmy's on-off girlfriend to dump him for being a less than straight shooter again.

"you're a loose cannon, Jimmy! You're off the case!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

^^ :D

I have to say I found the whole season pretty underwhelming. I don't mind slow paced shows, as long as I feel the journey it's taking me on is going somewhere interesting or unexpected.

The problem with BCS, is that we know where it's going and unfortunately I don't find the journey very inetersting or unexpected. We've had two seasons now of Jimmy pandering to his mentally unstable and resentful older brother who, despite Jimmy doing his best to go straight and looking after his every need, still constantly wants to undermine him at every turn. Chuck's character is just annoying at this stage - there's no progression with his character at all. Jimmy just can't win, whatever inroads he tries to make.
    We're going into season three now and still no sign of Saul. Back stories are great 'n all if done well, but I wanted to see Saul Goodman doing what he did best in BB - crooked lawyering, his criminal connections and his brilliance at getting in and out of very sticky situations. We had a glimpse of this at the beginning of Season One, but the whole Chuck thing has gone on for too long now, in my opinion.

I even found Mike incessently stalking Hector more interesting than any of the Chuck stuff. At least there was some suspense involved in that one! The most suspense I got from the Chuck segments was whether ot not he'd finally cark it in the penultimate episode, but no - he survived and the resentment cycle just perpetuated again.

I hate giving up on a show, especially one written by someone as great as Gilligan, but unless Season Three's journey finally goes somewhere good (man), I'm not sure I could waste another 10 hours watching Chuck wrapped in foil being a jealous brat and waiting for Jimmy's on-off girlfriend to dump him for being a less than straight shooter again.

I also have a felling the Gus carrott is being dangled, but may not actually be revealed until the very end of the next season, if at all...

Excellent synopsis IMO :)

It does feel like certain elements are going in circles and being dragged out at this stage. If I remember right, didn't the writers say the intention was to introduce Saul by now but that they were having too much "fun" with Jimmy?

When you think about it... how has Jimmy's arc progressed in season 2? Sure it's well-written and often very funny, but he's still trying to win Chuck's approval, Kim's love (still don't like her as a character either), and bending the law a lot... but we saw all that in season 1.

The problem is that Saul was always a more one-dimensional character.. "crooked lawyer does crooked things with often funny results". Ok fine, but we've had that for 2 seasons now and really it's been Mike's story that has carried the show this season. I'd say many are sticking with it to see how he eventually ends up working with Gus and how Hector ends up in that wheelchair... but all of that could be achieved without Jimmy/Saul at all at this stage (although yes I know they'll weave Jimmy/Saul in yet but more out of necessity I think), and that's not a good thing when he's your main/title character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Seven Emmy nominations in six categories for Better Call Saul.

Lead actor in a drama:
    Bob Odenkirk, “Better Call Saul”

Best Drama series:
    Better Call Saul

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series
    Jonathan Banks, “Better Call Saul”

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series
    Kelley Dixon, Chris McCaleb, “Better Call Saul”
    Kelley Dixon, “Better Call Saul”

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)
    Better Call Saul

Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Supporting Role
    Better Call Saul • Fifi

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Dammit, I saw a new post and thought the next series was airing shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Seven Emmy nominations in six categories for Better Call Saul.

Lead actor in a drama:
    Bob Odenkirk, “Better Call Saul”

Best Drama series:
    Better Call Saul

Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series
    Jonathan Banks, “Better Call Saul”

Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series
    Kelley Dixon, Chris McCaleb, “Better Call Saul”
    Kelley Dixon, “Better Call Saul”

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)
    Better Call Saul

Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Supporting Role
    Better Call Saul • Fifi

What exactly is Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Supporting Role?

Does it mean an award for visual effect that partly show a supporting character on screen through CGI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

What exactly is Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Supporting Role?

Does it mean an award for visual effect that partly show a supporting character on screen through CGI?

I would say it is for those who help the main visual effects team maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Special Visual Effect in a supporting role refers to effects shots that are not meant to be noticed. So, not stuff that is obviously created using effects like spaceships or CGI characters. It is background stuff that you didn't realise was a special effect.

In the episode Fifi they are most likely referring to the opening scene with the long tracking shot of the truck going through the border patrol, being stopped and searched. Most of the trucks in the queue are CGI, most of the buildings are CGI, most of the backgrounds and skies had to be replaced to make it all appear to be from one shot, when it is actually digitally stitched together from separate takes. So,it looks real and people easily believe that it was shot for real when actually there is a ton of hidden effects work in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Special Visual Effect in a supporting role refers to effects shots that are not meant to be noticed. So, not stuff that is obviously created using effects like spaceships or CGI characters. It is background stuff that you didn't realise was a special effect.

In the episode Fifi they are most likely referring to the opening scene with the long tracking shot of the truck going through the border patrol, being stopped and searched. Most of the trucks in the queue are CGI, most of the buildings are CGI, most of the backgrounds and skies had to be replaced to make it all appear to be from one shot, when it is actually digitally stitched together from separate takes. So,it looks real and people easily believe that it was shot for real when actually there is a ton of hidden effects work in it.

Thank you.

I had actually no idea that was CGI so looks like they done a good job and fully deserve the nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Like most really good CGI, the majority don't notice it. Which means it's done its job.

It's why you often hear the average joe complaining about how "fake cgi always looks" and how "physical effects work is way better!". Now, they are right about physicals effects to a certain degree but what they don't realise is how much CG they consume and don't even notice. That opening scene is a perfect example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

It's when CG is front and center that you notice it as opposed to little things. I've been fooled more times by CGI in TV shows than I have in movies, they really do some fantastic work in scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Special Visual Effect in a supporting role refers to effects shots that are not meant to be noticed.
    I wonder how these are reviewed by the judges. Do they get videos with everything which is CGI pointed out to them, and then watch it back again.

Advertisement