Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Lirange wrote: »
    I actually don't think the "sickness" is silly either from a writing perspective. Athough not scientifically recognised Electromagnetic Sensitivity is a condition claimed by many. So the notion wasn't some random quirky idea plucked out of the ether by Gilligan.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jun/21/the-town-that-banned-wi-fi

You would think that the cameras rolling would have effected the two women?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TennisLad

Also didn't a doctor proove that it's all in his head in S1 , she switched on some lights without him noticing and he was fine, he didn't react ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Just re-watched e2, in preparation for tomorrow night!!

My spidey-senses or is that Saul-ey - senses must be quite well honed as I didn't spot anything new second time round.

I've been reading some of the comments about the EM thing with Chuck. I think that basically Chuck has been written to be a pain in the ass bore, so its easy to see why no one likes him. Of course some of this is open to interpretation. For instance, in a previous episode, Chuck claims that Jimmy bankrupted his Dad. Well, I think the Dad bankrupted himself by being a soft touch. Jimmy decided to "be a wolf not a sheep" and decided that the money he skimmed from the till would just end up in some chancer's pocket anyway.

Jimmy only screwed Chuck after what Chuck and HHM did to Kim, and if my memory serves me correctly, after Chuck referred to Jimmy's qualification as being like a chimp with a machine gun, and blocking him from getting a job in HHM.

Anyway, I think its extremely well written and acted, even down to every gesture having significance. I mean, you can actually believe Howard would straighten his tie after trespassing through some back gardens. Jimmy's haircut is perfect; Mike saying "I'll keep that in mind" when Jimmy says he's the only one who has Mike's back. You can almost hear Mike thinking "fat lot of good that'll be when the chips are down!"

I think the parting of the ways is imminent, and I imagine Chuck will be gone from HHM. Payback!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Why work hard hijacking trucks when you can get the border police to do your work. The Gus n' Mike show is in town and wearing runners.

Why work hard hijacking trucks when you can get the border police to do your work. The Gus n' Mike show is in town and wearing runners.

Was the reason for the gunshots in the air to scare the two truck drivers, or was it just to show there was someone else there?

So when the truck drivers report back to Hector he will have a suspicion Mike set it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Was the reason for the gunshots in the air to scare the two truck drivers, or was it just to show there was someone else there?

So when the truck drivers report back to Hector he will have a suspicion Mike set it up?

It was so that when the final gunshot hit the runners that the drivers wouldn't pay any heed to it as they'd already dismissed the shooter as a hunter interested in other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

A solid episode. I preferred the first two if I am being honest. I understand, but don't like, when people compare the show to Breaking Bad (not on this forum btw). It was originally meant to be a dark comedy iirc, but it's turned into a proper drama in it's own right while showing the development of BB characters. I don't think it needs to be similar, or compared to, BB. Obviously it's good to see the nod's to BB, and I was glad to see the proper introduction of Gus. I'd say there will be some great plot's ahead with those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The drivers will be spending a long time in a TexMex jail. Hector would assume clumsiness / bad luck and write it off as an inevitable 1 in 10 loss. The mysterious "hunter" in a barren landscape might interest him. The fact that Mike is getting more sophisticated in his methods is probably down to Gus. Hector might add two and two on that front.

chops018 wrote: »
    A solid episode. I preferred the first two if I am being honest. I understand, but don't like, when people compare the show to Breaking Bad (not on this forum btw). It was originally meant to be a dark comedy iirc, but it's turned into a proper drama in it's own right while showing the development of BB characters. I don't think it needs to be similar, or compared to, BB. Obviously it's good to see the nod's to BB, and I was glad to see the proper introduction of Gus. I'd say there will be some great plot's ahead with those two.

Yeah when better call saul is finished and there are people who have yet to watch Breaking Bad they will be spoiled.

Watching all these BCS episodes before you watch Breaking Bad (without knowing the outcomes will make it a different viewing experience to the rest of us.
    It will be cliff hanger stuff all the way (besides the fly episode).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

That was a great move by Mike(and Gus :D).

Loved the nods to what's to come, with the bell, and the chair, and the doctor's. Whatever is in that "revenge" bag will surely give us Senor Ding Ding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

yeah loving this now

was Kim getting ready at the start for the day ahead a nod to something, reminded me of wonder woman or something but I haven't seen that in maybe 30 years so could be wrong, just that was the vibe with the music etc.

Loved the whole red runner, drug planting, hunter in hills scene but on looking back I thought it was a bit overboard with a good chance of it not working out as intended. There must be multiple other/easier ways to coat some cocaine onthe back step of the truck than that. Wouldn't make for as good viewing though.

Chuck also just standing out on the lawn talking to Jimmy - even I'm confused a bit now about his sickness.

De Bhál wrote: »
    yeah loving this now

was Kim getting ready at the start for the day ahead a nod to something, reminded me of wonder woman or something but I haven't seen that in maybe 30 years so could be wrong, just that was the vibe with the music etc.

Loved the whole red runner, drug planting, hunter in hills scene but on looking back I thought it was a bit overboard with a good chance of it not working out as intended. There must be multiple other/easier ways to coat some cocaine onthe back step of the truck than that. Wouldn't make for as good viewing though.

Chuck also just standing out on the lawn talking to Jimmy - even I'm confused a bit now about his sickness.

I thought the same. Too many variables in that plan for it work every time. A bit sloppy from Mike imo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

When Jimmy was taking off his belt, tie etc. at the jail, the camera also focused in on his shoes, slip-ons. I immediately thought of his nickname Slippin' Jimmy. Am I going too far now...?!

Some wonderful cinematography again, the perfect side shot of Mikes angular car, the desert scenery, the shot up Alto sign (alto meaning 'Stop' but translates directly as 'high'). Another great episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Tabnabs wrote: »
    When Jimmy was taking off his belt, tie etc. at the jail, the camera also focused in on his shoes, slip-ons. I immediately thought of his nickname Slippin' Jimmy. Am I going too far now...?!

Some wonderful cinematography again, the perfect side shot of Mikes angular car, the desert scenery, the shot up Alto sign (alto meaning 'Stop' but translates directly as 'high'). Another great episode.

way too far, why do people keep coming up with these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Great to hear some Todd Terje too!(the song when Kim was getting ready)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm not sure there would have been an easier way, not without a team of guys to help. And even though Gus permitted Mike to do it and got him the cocaine, it would have been too big a risk for Gus to send some of his own people to help Mike.

The van had two guys in it, one clearly being security/muscle. They seemed to drive on open roads with good lookout from their base to the border patrol. Only stopping to get rid of their guns a few miles before the border, and even then where they stop to do that was an open space with not enough time for someone to get from a hiding spot to plant the coke and get back before the guys returned to the van.

Trying to make the van stop in any other way would have been too suspicious and even if the guys were still caught at the border, they'd be able to tell Hector about it as it would have been the likely way the coke got planted. With this plan, and especially with Mike shooting the gun repeatedly to make them think it was hunters, they likely have no idea how the coke got there. It will most likely seem like something happened at their base before they left and some coke spilled or something. Even if they say they heard gunshots when they were stashing their guns, it'd be a leap to figure out how that led to coke being on the step.

That would also tie in to how the last time Mike stole from Hector and a civilian helped the driver, Hector had the civilian killed. The way Mike did it this time, there's no one for Hector to come back on except his own people.

I'm not saying it was the best possible plan as I certainly wouldn't even have thought of doing what Mike did for this plan. But for someone as sure in his abilities and planning, and as cautious as Mike is, his plan ticked all the boxes.

Penn wrote: »
    I'm not sure there would have been an easier way, not without a team of guys to help. And even though Gus permitted Mike to do it and got him the cocaine, it would have been too big a risk for Gus to send some of his own people to help Mike.

why not just ring customs and say there's a van on the way stuffed to gills with drugs

problem with that is maybe he has a man in customs who alerts the van then i suppose

I loved Mike's plan by the way, just thought it a bit loose in that the cocaine had to fall out of the shoe directly onto the van as the van was passing under it which meant both the shoes and the van had to be in perfect position for that to happen.

Like the petrol cap story I said to myself how do they come up with this stuff, it's great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Is it just me or did Gus' accent sound more Hispanic here?

If so, I was thinking to myself that that was great because of course we are earlier in Gus' life so his accent would be more Hispanic than it later became.

serfboard wrote: »

If so, I was thinking to myself that that was great because of course we are earlier in Gus' life so his accent would be more Hispanic than it later became.

the aging thing is interesting - It'll be interesting to watch it when finished and roll on into Breaking bad then to see have they pulled it off. Mike is starting to push on a bit now I think. How much of an overlap can they pull off? Which season of BB did Saul first appear? Ist one I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

why not just ring customs and say there's a van on the way stuffed to gills with drugs

That would alert Hector that someone called customs, which means he starts looking for the person who called. The way Mike did it, it makes it almost impossible for Hector to know how the coke got there, and even makes it possible that it happened by accident in the base where the truck left from.

It was more to just screw with Hector and cause disruption to his supply.

As for how precise things had to be in order for the plan to work, well that's Mike for you :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

serfboard wrote: »

Esposito's accent speaking Spanish was terrible in BB. He may have worked on sounding more Hispanic since but I don't think the was anything deliberate planned from back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I presume that by the time the Los Pollos Hermanos truck stopped under the runners that all the incriminating evidence would have gone - otherwise it could be an own goal.

Agreed though - another great episode, brilliant writing and execution. Having said that I also thought Chuck standing outside the house in the sun was either an error or else he let his guard down too much in his vainglorious scolding of Jimmy.

I presume that by the time the Los Pollos Hermanos truck stopped under the runners that all the incriminating evidence would have gone - otherwise it could be an own goal.

Agreed though - another great episode, brilliant writing and execution. Having said that I also thought Chuck standing outside the house in the sun was either an error or else he let his guard down too much in his vainglorious scolding of Jimmy.

Chuck is able to go outside now so long as he's not out for long. In fairness they have shown how he's improved in some regards throughout the series, but yes considering how much of his illness is in his head as opposed to an actual affliction, wanting to lord it over Jimmy probably allowed him to ignore the fact he was outside to some degree

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That's some indeterminate point in the future, however long it took the shoe laces to fray completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Penn wrote: »
    With this plan, and especially with Mike shooting the gun repeatedly to make them think it was hunters, they likely have no idea how the coke got there. It will most likely seem like something happened at their base before they left and some coke spilled or something. Even if they say they heard gunshots when they were stashing their guns, it'd be a leap to figure out how that led to coke being on the step.

I didn't think anybody was aware there was drugs on the step. It's not like the cops were rubbing their fingers in anything or taking swabs. Unless I missed something? The dog just stopped and sat down, giving an indication something is in the truck, the dog was not even sniffing the steps or anything, its like you see in those customs programs, he sat down and the 2 customs guys say "we have something". So I thought the dog just indicated which lead them to do a full search.

I thought that was the whole point, to leave a trace amount on it, rather than stash some bag of coke which would be brought up in court. For all Hector knows they just have a very good dog, or for some other reason decided to do a full search.

Maybe I missed something though, as I also missed out on it being cocaine, are people sure it was? or just presuming. It did not look particularly white in the bag. Are Hector & Gus both just dealing coke at this stage, and not meth?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

that is what I thought, not even necessarily illegal. The wiki page even says cocaine so I thought I missed something, and wondered if they are not in the meth trade yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

When Mike went to collect the 'package' , the receptionist referred to him as a gringo -"revenge". I took this to mean Montezuma's Revenge ie the trots.

Loved the episode. We got to meet 'HT' again. Maybe we are also seeing the end of Chuck. I never picked up on what happened to his wife/partner we saw in a previous flashback. It seems Chuck was in a happy relationship and not sick when Jimmy was working in the mailroom. Whereas now, Chuck is a psychosomatic nutter living alone in the dark, and Jimmy is a lawyer. I think if Jimmy loses his licence to practise, Chuck will have a miraculous recovery and go back to work. (I know, I know...). Generally, in BrBa and BCS, bad guys get their comeuppance. I think Chuck has his coming. But how.....

The reason I don't get tired waiting for developments is that they're so well crafted and also there are so many sub-plots going on.

Roll on tuesday. And this time I'll stay off this thread that day, as last week I saw a comment before I actually watched E2. Cos I'm a masochist, I wait till 9pm to watch it, with a couple of cans in the back room. Ahh, bliss.

Advertisement