Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It's available at 7am Tuesday mornings I think. I presume it airs Monday evening in the US

Works ok Irish and U.K. Netflix for me no prob

I liked the way Mike was reading the handyman magazine in the booth at the end too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Think he meant the other "netflix".

It's on normal, Irish Netflix. I watched it at 10 a.m. yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I loved that episode.

We can see that Gus is not a member of the Cartel and as such can get walked all over by a cartel member. Regardless of how much money Gus is bringing in the Cartel membership comes above him.

I also liked the fact that even though we know what happens to these characters it doesnt make their backstories any less interesting.

Now- with regard to the duplicate tape. Let me fill you in on entrapment. Chuck is an officer of the Court as a lawyer. Thus if he engaged in entrapment it is a FULL defence to any criminal charges. In fact, Chuck could end up being disbarred himself.
    Entrapment

The act of government agents or officials that induces a person to commit a crime he or she is not previously disposed to commit.

Entrapment is a defense to criminal charges when it is established that the agent or official originated the idea of the crime and induced the accused to engage in it. If the crime was promoted by a private person who has no connection to the government, it is not entrapment. A person induced by a friend to sell drugs has no legal excuse when police are informed that the person has agreed to make the sale.

The rationale underlying the defense is to deter law enforcement officers from engaging in reprehensible conduct by inducing persons not disposed to commit crimes to engage in criminal activity. In their efforts to obtain evidence and combat crime, however, officers are permitted to use some deception. For example, an officer may pretend to be a drug addict in order to apprehend a person suspected of selling drugs. On the other hand, an officer cannot use chicanery or Fraud to lure a person to commit a crime the person is not previously willing to commit. Generally, the defense is not available if the officer merely created an opportunity for the commission of the crime by a person already planning or willing to commit it.

As a result, an admission by Chuck that the tape was a duplicate shows premeditation that he was confident that Jimmy would break in and used his friendly neighbourhood helper as bait. A friendly neighbourhood helper he happened to have now fired and will, I suspect, be a star witness for Jimmy and the Defence team. Ernesto isnt it?

Chuck made a recording. That itself is suspicious for a man who is has such a condition. Tied to the fact that he switched out the original, placed a duplicate and had a security guard and the managing partner at the scene leads to a cocktail of entrapment.

If entrapment is held it acts as a full defence for Jimmy and Chuck could be up on ethics charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Entrapment and making Chuck look like a cast member of one flew over the cuckoo's nest would be the most obvious defense for Jimmy given what we have seen in that episode, You would imagine if Chuck intends to play the tape he would be aware of the intrapment implications. Maybe there is something else going on, Mike also stole some contact information from the house?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I f*cking love this show. So much happens, but yet so little happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Entrapment and making Chuck look like a cast member of one flew over the cuckoo's nest would be the most obvious defense for Jimmy given what we have seen in that episode, You would imagine if Chuck intends to play the tape he would be aware of the intrapment implications. Maybe there is something else going on, Mike also stole some contact information from the house?

He'd be fully aware of the law, but much like Jimmy's passion in the sibling rivalry caused him to mess up, perhaps Chuck made a similar mistake here. As far as he was concerned, he was engaging in an off-the-record conversation being unknowingly goaded by Kim and couldn't resist gloating that he'd got the better of them, unaware that he was (likely) being recorded. That gave them enough evidence to go with the entrapment angle. Their best COA would probably be to go to him directly and tell them they've got him so he can drop the case, or at least the tape aspect, but that'd make for worse TV so dramatic showdown with a twist it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Think he meant the other "netflix".
    I watched it on Irish Netflix last night, via Vodafone TV/Broadband, I don't pay for any VPN style service.

I think leaving oil lamps on top of old newspapers can be used to show that Chuck is clearly mental, and not able to look after himself.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Are you in Ireland? I don't see how you could have different content.
    Occono wrote: »
    Season 3 is definitely available in Ireland, ask their support?
    Birneybau wrote: »
    It's on normal, Irish Netflix. I watched it at 10 a.m. yesterday.

No Season 3 for me :(

bcs.jpg

leggo wrote: »
    He'd be fully aware of the law, but much like Jimmy's passion in the sibling rivalry caused him to mess up, perhaps Chuck made a similar mistake here. As far as he was concerned, he was engaging in an off-the-record conversation being unknowingly goaded by Kim and couldn't resist gloating that he'd got the better of them, unaware that he was (likely) being recorded. That gave them enough evidence to go with the entrapment angle. Their best COA would probably be to go to him directly and tell them they've got him so he can drop the case, or at least the tape aspect, but that'd make for worse TV so dramatic showdown with a twist it is!

I will be surprised and disappointed if a recording is used against Chuck it seems a bit lazy that they counter one recording with another. Entrapment can be proven without recording Chuck. Any thoughts on whos contact info Mike took from the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

ardinn wrote: »

bcs.jpg

Have you tried logging out ? Using a different browser ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Maybe the private investigor in the house who was hired as a witness?

• Advertisement

Maybe the private investigor in the house who was hired as a witness?

Was thinking that myself but then wouldn't they already have his info as he's a witness, the would have his name atleast, it would not be necessary to get it from chucks house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I thought it was Chuck's ex wife(the contact address)

Chuck told a lawyer joke to his wife in a previous flash back episode. Grounds for disbarment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Gus is a very nice polite man....outside of the whole murdering drug lord persona

Could be a good call, Shot in the dark or is there any reason you think this?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

bcs.jpg

Did you try turning off your US VPN? (I'm guessing that's why you have a US flag beside your address bar) Maybe that's messing up which shows you can see.

She has to come back to the story at some point in time,otherwise what was the point of investing an episode in her in season 1. If we're nearing the end of chuck it makes sense now. Also jimmy has reminded us this season she left him in case we'd forgotten her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

bcs.jpg

Do you have a VPN on? Turn it off, it's on Irish Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Did Jimmy actually destroy the cassette anyway? He smashed up the case, but the tape itself seemed to be unharmed and the audio could still be recovered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

TennisLad wrote: »
    Also didn't a doctor proove that it's all in his head in S1 , she switched on some lights without him noticing and he was fine, he didn't react ..

of course it's all in his head, the disease literally doesn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

goose2005 wrote: »
    Did Jimmy actually destroy the cassette anyway? He smashed up the case, but the tape itself seemed to be unharmed and the audio could still be recovered

They said it was a copy of the original that he destroyed. That suits Jimmys case as the reason he made a copy was knowing that Jimmy would destroy the original....entrapment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Like the earlier poster mentioned, she's due a bit more story or air time. Seeing as the gloves are off then maybe Jimmy will try and use her as a witness or something

• Registered Users Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Did you try turning off your US VPN? (I'm guessing that's why you have a US flag beside your address bar) Maybe that's messing up which shows you can see.
    Occono wrote: »
    Do you have a VPN on? Turn it off, it's on Irish Netflix.

There we are - Cheers people!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was looking at that IMDB website and they even have a section where they make a list of the 'goofs' in BCS.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5719532/trivia?tab=gf&ref_=tt_trv_gf

There is even a bit about the length of the shoelaces and how Mike shot the wrong shoe!

I don't know how many times a person would have to watch it to notice these things!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I was looking at that IMDB website and they even have a section where they make a list of the 'goofs' in BCS.

There is even a bit about the length of the shoelaces and how Mike shot the wrong shoe!

I don't know how many times a person would have to watch it to notice these things!

haha some stuff in there alright...also this

Before we see Jimmy smoking, almost at the end of the episode, Kim is working on her computer and she is using a cordless mouse, not generally available in 2003/4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The end had a real pistols at dawn ring to it.

No doubt sales of Handyman magazine will soar after this ep. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'm guessing that they had Mike replace the tape with another recording.
    I doubt the duplicate tape would be in chucks house.
    Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I read a theory that chuck having copied the tape will be used to show that he conspired to bait jimmy into stealing the tape.
    I would have thought copying an important tape would be standard practice for lawyers. I remember in my work 15+years ago data was backed up to tape and taken home by a manager (like chuck would not have 2 copies in the same house of an important tape)
    dasdog wrote: »
    The significance of the photo of the Financial Times with a lantern has me stumped.
    Make it look dangerous as mentioned, but possibly also shows a date on the paper. Like kidnappers taking photos to show its a current photo.

Kim & Jimmy looked concerned when the lawyer woman talked about her mad aunt who had a problem with the frequency the choir boys sang at. I guessed they were worried they would not be able to portray Chuck as a total nut, if she believed it was a proper medical condition.

Not sure what Mike was at with the door, thought be might have been changing the locks back to the old key, but cannot think of reason. I am still thinking back to when Chuck admitted to the lawyer woman that he did not take Jimmys key, and seemingly did not inform him the locks were changed -I was saying before he could argue he thought he was still welcome and his key was broken or something.

When Jimmy apologised I thought it sounded like he was cleverly saying the apology Chuck should be saying to him, and looked like Chuck thought so too.
    Chuck I'm very sorry.
    I lost my temper, and I did some things so many things that I regret.
    I shouldn't have broken down your door.
    Doesn't matter how I was provoked.
    I-I shouldn't have done that.
    There's no excuse for that.
    Or for the things that I said.
    [Clears throat] I regret it all, all of it more than you can imagine, because 'cause you're my brother, and no one should treat his own brother like that.
    Not ever.

Read more: http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=better-call-saul-2015&episode=s03e04

I hope Gilligan does not read that and feel he has to come up with an excuse! -like that DMV nonsense. I can picture Badger turning up raving about his new cool runners with one lace purposely shorter than the other!

Also just discovered that Don Eladio is played by the same actor who played Manny in scarface!

tumblr_lr4t4iTQSi1qhnhmd.jpg

2HJyFgH.gif

Scarface-scarface-24296532-800-342.jpg

giphy.gif

Scarface-scarface-24296533-756-325.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

rubadub wrote: »
    Also just discovered that Don Eladio is played by the same actor who played Manny in scarface!

He's not the only link to Scarface:

xIRVtg2.jpg

"You think I'd kill two kids and a woman?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

He's not the only link to Scarface:

xIRVtg2.jpg

"You think I'd kill two kids and a woman?"

He is in Ray,Donovan too.

Advertisement