Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

There'd be no BCS or BB without the Sopranos, the makers said as much themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

There'd be no BCS or BB without the Sopranos, the makers said as much themselves.

Saying that doesn't really mean a whole lot in terns of comparative quality. There would be no Mona Lisa without prehistoric cave paintings either.

storker wrote: »
    Saying that doesn't really mean a whole lot in terns of comparative quality. There would be no Mona Lisa without prehistoric cave paintings either.

Not quite the same transition. When the maker of a programme repeatedly namechecks another programme as his template and inspiration , you are entitled to think there's a debt of gratitude due. But yeah, you go ahead and miss the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Not really the same. Before the Sopranos, TV was seen as low rent. It was such an ambitious show and demonstrated that television can be art as much as any film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭dadad231

I liked the fact that Chuck pulled up the car and there was "reserved parking" cones there for him.

Like he has a spot reserved at some facility when Jimmy has him committed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Loved seeing huell again. Hope to see more of him.

He lost some amount of weight fair play to him. Heard he had to wear a fat suit for his scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I was late to the Breaking Bad party, so there wasn't that much of a gap between the end of BB and the arrival of BCS. I had no problem getting over BB and adjusting to BCS's different mode of attack. The essentials are still there; character-based drama with actions having consequences. Compelling, memorable characters, who you care about and who do things or have things happen to them that keep you coming back to see what happens next.

I'm not one of those who clamours for the appearance of more BB characters, but I don't think the appearance of Ken did any harm, and I think it's good to see Mike and Gus's back stories filled out. I would not be interested in seeing Walter or (impossible anyway) Jesse. We've had enough about them already. We know their stories. It's easy to see how Jimmy's, Gus's and Mike's life journeys are converging, whereas Walt, one assumes, is busy teaching chemistry somewhere and not suffering with cancer. His convergence is still years away so there's no reason to include him.

I'm going to stick my head above the parapet and say that for me, BCS is better than BB, perhaps because it's a little more down-to-earth and believable. But it's all about personal preference anyway. Of course, there is no "Book of Better", except perhaps in our own heads.

Heresy!:D TBH I prefer Breaking Bad but they're out of this world in terms of program quality.This has being by far the best season of Better Call Saul IMO,as others have mentioned the slow pace does'nt hinder the quality of writing,storytelling and tremendous acting on display.

There is little wrong in the world of television when shows such as these and House of Cards and Billions are being produced.

Not quite the same transition. When the maker of a programme repeatedly namechecks another programme as his template and inspiration , you are entitled to think there's a debt of gratitude due. But yeah, you go ahead and miss the point.

And you miss mine. It's all part of a continuum.

Murrisk wrote: »
    Not really the same. Before the Sopranos, TV was seen as low rent. It was such an ambitious show and demonstrated that television can be art as much as any film.

I get that, and agree to a great extent, but at the same time, it's not as if there was no great television before the Sopranos.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Billions? Unless it's improved immensely I don't see how it could be in the conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Billions? Unless it's improved immensely I don't see how it could be in the conversation.

It has.. this season (just finished) was great TV. Probably the highlight of my viewing week personally

seligehgit wrote: »
    Heresy!:D TBH I prefer Breaking Bad but they're out of this world in terms of program quality.This has being by far the best season of Better Call Saul IMO,as others have mentioned the slow pace does'nt hinder the quality of writing,storytelling and tremendous acting on display.

There is little wrong in the world of television when shows such as these and House of Cards and Billions are being produced.

Yep. I can't remember when there has been a better time in terms of program quality, and I think breaking free of the shackles of network television has been what's made the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ok, thanks all.

Put it back on the list. I've seen them all, BB the wire , the shield, I loved all the big ones and I like the pace of this, I like Fargo too.

BCS is great imo loads if room in it.

Ultimately though I can't get it out of my head that the show is all about him messing it up with herself.

The last episode in court was great.

And you miss mine. It's all part of a continuum.

Except my point isn't even my point, but a direct quote and statement of.....BB/BCS creator. So, yeah, there would be neither without the Sopranos. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Except my point isn't even my point, but a direct quote and statement of.....BB/BCS creator. So, yeah, there would be neither without the Sopranos. It's not an opinion, it's a fact.

Yes, but The Sopranos did not appear out of nothing like some kind of televisual big bang. I doubt that even the guys who made it believe that either. Things that went before it fed into it.

By the way, in case you're getting wound up because you think I'm spitting on your icon, I'm not. I think the Sopranos was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Did Mike switch the tapes at Chuck's or am I imagining that. I was expecting another taped to be played out at court

Ok, just read it from the man himself if you still don't believe it

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-gandolfini-death-vince-gilligan-574556

Ok, just read it from the man himself if you still don't believe it

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/james-gandolfini-death-vince-gilligan-574556

Where did I say he didn't say it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

dadad231 wrote: »
    I liked the fact that Chuck pulled up the car and there was "reserved parking" cones there for him.

Like he has a spot reserved at some facility when Jimmy has him committed.
    Let's not over-analyze it, eh. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Rick Grimes > Tony Soprano

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think that might have been its best episode yet, which is surprising as i always preferred Mike's story instead.

Chucks rant was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Stoner wrote: »
    Put it back on the list. I've seen them all, BB the wire , the shield, I loved all the big ones and I like the pace of this, I like Fargo too.

BCS is great imo loads if room in it.

Ultimately though I can't get it out of my head that the show is all about him messing it up with herself.

The last episode in court was great.

The point as to what's on the list was in relation to The Walking Dead. Do keep up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

so after fixing Chuck's door, Mike gave Jimmy an address on a piece of paper. Was this Chuck's wife? Or was this explained already here or in the show?

De Bhál wrote: »
    so after fixing Chuck's door, Mike gave Jimmy an address on a piece of paper. Was this Chuck's wife? Or was this explained already here or in the show?

Wan't that the address of the vet-cum-dodgy-employment-agency guy who set him up with Huell?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

what the **** is kim doing?

I know the big firm heard what happened and we're so in need of keeping their big client they brush off the highly illegal thing too, but wtf Kim
    is kim conning jimmy, being nice to him while she tries to save her career, and one she does she'll drop him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

is kim conning jimmy, being nice ti him while she tries to save her career, and one she does she'll drop him

I think you're onto something here. Her reaction has been too measured considering how against all of the Slippin' Jimmy stuff she is. I don't think she's directly conning him but I wouldn't be surprised if she took the line that her helping him was her last duty as a friend and she can't continue in business with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So many great characters in this but chuck is the mvp of the show for me so far. Look forward to seeing where he ends up

I doubt Chuck is going to take this sitting down. He could go on to ruin Jimmy yet, legally or otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

I doubt Chuck is going to take this sitting down. He could go on to ruin Jimmy yet, legally or otherwise.

Well he needs to get over his perceived illness. He now looks like a complete mentalist and no one will take him seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

leggo wrote: »
    I think you're onto something here. Her reaction has been too measured considering how against all of the Slippin' Jimmy stuff she is. I don't think she's directly conning him but I wouldn't be surprised if she took the line that her helping him was her last duty as a friend and she can't continue in business with him.
    well she already protected herself by not being an actual business partner to him but I think the short domestics scenes last weeks seemed like she was going through the motions.

Advertisement