Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

well she already protected herself by not being an actual business partner to him but I think the short domestics scenes last weeks seemed like she was going through the motions.

Yeah I think it may be building towards something, like even the army officer coming in and shouting down the building isn't a great look even if it's just an office share. It's getting very real for Kim now and there's a breaking point coming surely. And that's the kinda thing that could cause someone to break bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

storker wrote: »
    I get that, and agree to a great extent, but at the same time, it's not as if there was no great television before the Sopranos.

There was certainly great, high-quality TV before the Sopranos. I wouldn't pretend otherwise. The X-Files, classic Simpsons, Twin Peaks, Hill Street Blues, NYPD Blue and ER to name a few.

But, IMO, none of them reached the artistic heights of the Sopranos. I think the show demonstrated to showrunners and to the people who finance and greenlight shows that a show could be multilayered and ambitious and still not put off the masses. I mean, sure, it also hooked in people who were looking for a standard mob drama. There was enough mob goings-on to ensure that. But the density of the programme was what drew so many people in and I think that is what has been such an inspiration and motivation to subsequent would-be showrunners.

Of course, there were rumblings before the Sopranos came along. Classic Simpsons fed the mind whilst also being ridiculously funny. I think ER was very ambitious too in its format and execution. Twin Peaks was of course highly intelligent but still a bit niche. The Sopranos blew it wide open. Gawd bless it. :p:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Murrisk wrote: »
    The Sopranos blew it wide open. Gawd bless it. :p:cool:

Amen. I'm certainly not complaining. :)

I hope they don't do a TWD and give us an episode of just Mike and Gus before we get an episode with the result of the bar hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

There may be an obvious answer to this but isn't Kim representing Jimmy an obvious conflict of interest (as she is the direct beneficiary of Jimmy's actions).

And why has nobody in the show brought this up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

To be fair, it's well worth watching again. What a performance from Michael McKean:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

There may be an obvious answer to this but isn't Kim representing Jimmy an obvious conflict of interest (as she is the direct beneficiary of Jimmy's actions).

I'm not sure it would matter tbh, If it's sound to represent yourself then I don't see the issue, your innocent until proven guilty, the hearing was said to be less bound by the rules of a proper court hearing anyways.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    To be fair, it's well worth watching again. What a performance from Michael McKean:

Michael McKean is so good as Chuck.
    He really turned it up to 11.

Need to watch Spinal Tap again. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

She was a direct beneficiary of Jimmy's alleged actions. I'm pretty sure that while she knows the truth, he hasn't outrightly admitted guilt to anyone except Chuck - and his line is that he said what he said to reassure Chuck, not to confess. And isn't that how it works in real life? A lawyer never asks "did you do it?" (correct me if I'm wrong).

Someone suggested that Mike gave Jimmy the address of the vet - and no doubt he did - but not in the diner. When he handed over the photos, and the piece of paper, he said he got the info from a desk diary or something. So that suggests it was contact details for Chuck's estranged wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Totally forgot about that sunroof!

There was a level of tint on the windows that I'll maintain to this day was not legal in an Illinois-licensed vehicle. But somehow, that's on me, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

dinorebel wrote: »
    They pay him to not use the name McGill?

The Saul Goodman name appeals to the Jewish client base. That's why he changes it. That and he goes off the edge.

The Saul Goodman name appeals to the Jewish client base. That's why he changes it. That and he goes off the edge.

Nothing to do with a Jewish client base, It was more to do with him playing on the stereotype of Jews being good lawyers especially if your guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Nothing to do with a Jewish client base, It was more to do with him playing on the stereotype of Jews being good lawyers especially if your guilty.

Yes, I'm pretty sure in BB, when he first met Walter, he alluded to that , I think he also said he is of Irish extraction (surely that'd be O'Gill:D).

Yes, I'm pretty sure in BB, when he first met Walter, he alluded to that , I think he also said he is of Irish extraction (surely that'd be O'Gill:D).

McGill. "...a fellow potato eater..." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

With all this talk I went back and watched Saul's first scene in Breaking Bad. For those with Netflix it's Season 2 Episode 8, 20 minutes in. Worth a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dinorebel wrote: »
    They pay him to not use the name McGill?
    Some were predicting he would be legally forced to stop using the name.

People are saying about wanting to appear like a jewish lawyer, but that does not necessarily mean he was not forced in some way, or paid to change it -and then used that name for that reason, but ultimately was forced to do it.

Below is his meeting with Walt, it is not like he gave him some long drawn out explanation of why he changed his name -i.e. it does not rule out the possibility that he was forced to change it somehow.
    Mayhew.
    Is that Irish or English? - Irish.
    Faith and begorra.
    A fellow potato-eater.
    My real name is McGill.
    The Jew thing I just do for the homeboys.
    They all want a pipe-hitting member of the tribe, so to speak.
    I digress.

Read more: http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=breaking-bad&episode=s02e08

Also it makes it sound like he specifically came up with the name to look like a Jewish layer. However in BCS we know he already used this name when he was younger and doing scams.
    Hey Bro, I never did catch your name.
    - Saul.
    (Clears throat) - Saul? "S'all good, man.
    " - (Laughs) - Get it? - I do All right, Saul.
    - (Chuckles) Hey, hey, brother, whoa.
    Check it out.

Read more: http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=better-call-saul-2015&episode=s01e04

When writing BB they would not have foreseen BCS being a spin off series, so the writing of that dialogue would presumably not have had a lot of foresight or planning.

I thought that dialogue in BCS was strange, and a bit of a letdown. I was expecting to see maybe a montage of him writing down loads of different names, with lots of funny ones, thought it would be a drawn out scene and not him just blurting it out down an alley.

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    With all this talk I went back and watched Saul's first scene in Breaking Bad. For those with Netflix it's Season 2 Episode 8, 20 minutes in. Worth a look!

My wife never watched Breaking Bad, but she likes BCS. Before we watched the first episode of BCS I had her watch S2E8 of BB first, to give BCS the correct context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Murrisk

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Sopranos thread >>>>>>>>>

Yeah sorry, I'm done, point made. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was cool! They really nailed a tense moment! Also some so many hat tips to breaking bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Well it took long enough....

Pivotal episode ;)

• Advertisement

An inevitable anti climax after last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

An inevitable anti climax after last week.

Hardly an anti-climax, the main question of the entire show was answered in the last 2 minutes!!

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Hardly an anti-climax, the main question of the entire show was answered in the last 2 minutes!!

That told us that Saul Goodman is a play on "It's all good man"

That was not the main question of the show.

The main question of the show is how he becomes "a criminal lawyer"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

That told us that Saul Goodman is a play on "It's all good man"

That was not the main question of the show.

The main question of the show is how he becomes "a criminal lawyer"

We've known Saul Goodman is a play on "its all good man" since breaking bad.

It's pretty obvious how he could transcend into a criminal lawyer, with his connections to Mike.

For me the main question was how he goes from Jimmy Mc Gill to Saul Goodman, and while that may not be fully answered, we now know how it begins.

Anyway, great episode once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Chuck wandering around looking like Professor Chaos:

12196_3_full.jpg

Very much a filler episode. The whole advertising story was nauseating, So the Saul Goodman persona also sells advertising, It was complete rubbish.

Things were better with Gus, Lydia makes an appearance, she could be a good addition to the show as there is no character in it that I love to hate as much as her. We see how Gus is going to step out from under the thumb of the cartel by setting up production himself which could be interesting.

It looks like Nacho is gonna have a hand in putting Hector in the wheelchair.

Nacho is one cool fcuker. Love how the actor plays him. That steeliness and minimal acting style.

Great episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Kevwoody wrote: »
    They told us that TWO SEASONS AGO!

The episode where he was doing the scam with the fat fella and the watch.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nacho is one cool fcuker. Love how the actor plays him. That steeliness and minimal acting style.

Great episode.

I am not sure whether it was one of the better episodes.

But it set the scene nicely for other things to follow.

Chuck's 'illness' gets a bit more depth, Nacho getting fed up of Hector (what does he do with the pill?).

You are spot on about how Nacho is played, he reminds me of a younger Hispanic version of Mike.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement