Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This episode: things almost happen! Tune in next week when they will happen!

Absolute filler

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This post has been deleted.

More then likely, then there is the question of how Hector's retaliation was delivered?

Since Tuco is going to be in jail for a while longer, the cousin's probably end up paying Nacho's father a visit and he needs more then a few stitches after it?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Doesn't Hector suffer a stroke. It looks like a stroke in BB.
    So I'd imagine he's on an anticoagulant (blood thinner) at the moment (maybe for Afib) which Nacho removes from the capsules possibly.

That's if it's an ischaemic stroke.
    Splitting hairs here but the severity of his condition in BB might make it a haemorrhagic stroke though. But Nacho would have to know that an anticoagulant in overdose (the proverbial putting it in his cornflakes etc) could cause this (he is an intelligent guy so maybe he has medical knowledge, our Nacho).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

1st episode this season that didn't really grip me and have my full attention. Lack of Mike in the last 2 episodes also. Hopefully it picks up steam again now heading into the last few episodes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Saul Goodman!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kevwoody wrote: »
    We've known Saul Goodman is a play on "its all good man" since breaking bad..
    and from the earlier BCS epsiode, as I said last week it was disappointing how the name was introduced.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Hardly an anti-climax, the main question of the entire show was answered in the last 2 minutes!!
    you could see it was coming early on when he started going on about not being able to advertise as Jimmy McGill. Though I had wondered if there was some way for him to still practice law by changing his name. I still wonder if he can be doing the real lawyer work in the background and have Kim being the legal lawyer. I thought this was going to happen when he said he was staying on at the building and keeping Francesca.

He rang all his clients, and sounds like he is trying to hide that he is really off for the year. He said they will get letters, not sure if he can hide the truth behind legalistic talk. If he can then I wonder if Chuck or someone else will find some way to ruin his good/reasonable name and so he sticks with this one. Or else the advertising thing takes off, or any other things he comes up with, and then people know the name.

In case anyone spotted it, they had a 35year old bottle of whiskey, and it was 1966, but you cannot calculate the current date from that. The 35year old refers to the time it was aged for, once bottled you stop counting. You could have a 3 year old whiskey today from 1966.

I wonder if any of Mikes targets are going to end up as foundation in that kids playground...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so what is saul going to do for a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Enjoyed the episode. More of a comedic one than previous episodes this season.

Looks like Hector will be drugged which leads to his stroke in the finale.

saw this about the whiskey on redditt
    The Macallan 1966 35 Year Old, Fine & Rare was a 2002 Bottling with that wooden case. Great attention to detail.
    "An incredibly collectible 35 year old Speyside single malt that was laid down on the 3rd December 1966 at The Macallan distillery and bottled for the ultra-exclusive Fine & Rare series in 2002. Drawn from first fill Sherry Butt number 7878 at a natural cask strength 55.5% ABV, this magnificent vintage Macallan comes complete with original oak presentation box."
    This makes sense, since the simple math would show it was a 2001 release, but because the cask was filled in December of 1966 it couldn't be bottled as 25 years old until December of 2001, it would then be released as a 2002 edition.
    One current asking price, $20,100.00 USD

55,5% means it's quite flammable, if one were to say lash it across the room and hit a gas light, or fall asleep and let it drop.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Am I alone in thinking Mark Margolis is a terrible ham actor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Am I alone in thinking Mark Margolis is a terrible ham actor?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It was definitely a filler episode, but I enjoyed it all the same. We've already had how Mike and Gus begin working together and more on Gus V Hector, and Jimmy V Chuck now leading to Chuck starting to heal himself and Jimmy starting to become Saul. This episode was definitely about setting things up for the last few episodes, which I think is fair enough considering how great the previous two episodes were. Plus some more BB throwbacks with the laundry, Lydia and Krazy-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

The whole advertising story was nauseating, So the Saul Goodman persona also sells advertising, It was complete rubbish.

Yes the advertising story line was yawn-inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Good episode, I did not like Lydia appearing though, it seemed too thrown in there.
    But nice to see Gus staking out the laundry place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bambi wrote: »
    This episode: things almost happen! Tune in next week when they will happen!

Absolute filler

Yes, it's a bit slower than previous episodes. But we see Hector making his move to go alone, and with whom. Jimmy slipping into the Saul persona and appearing to enjoy being that person. The beginning of what appear to be moves against Hector and some back story on Tuco which may give the window for the move against him.

It's a TV program which starts a story and wraps it up by end credits which you may be looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I actually really enjoyed this episode. I don't mind it being a filler as long as it's working towards something worthwhile, as the earlier part of the season did.

The strain of working for Hector was clearly getting to Nacho even before he brought his pops into it - presumably it's only a matter of time before he reaches out to Mike. Kim's reaction to Saul was great too - "That guy's got a lot of energy...":D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yes, it's a bit slower than previous episodes. But we see Hector making his move to go alone, and with whom. Jimmy slipping into the Saul persona and appearing to enjoy being that person. The beginning of what appear to be moves against Hector and some back story on Tuco which may give the window for the move against him.

It's a TV program which starts a story and wraps it up by end credits which you may be looking for.

Nah, I'm looking for a TV show where each episode can stand on its own merits, that one is the first episode that failed. If you get the various nods to breaking bad's plots it might have held your interest.

Good episode, I did not like Lydia appearing though.
    I thought she would have been too young a character to be in it yet. At this early stage she should be in her mid twenties or very early thirties. I wonder how Gus got involved with such a prim & proper looking business woman. They are connected via the company but still seems odd.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Lydia_Rodarte-Quayle
    Early career
    Lydia is a long-time employee of the German manufacturing and shipping conglomerate Madrigal Electromotive GmbH, working out of their office in Houston, Texas. She was eventually promoted to Head of Logistics and was awarded a Platinum Award in recognition of "Outstanding Leadership in Business."

Season 3 (Better Call Saul)
    Better-call-saul-episode-306-gus-esposito-935
    Lydia and Gus in 2003 ("Off Brand").
    In 2003, Lydia was present when Gustavo Fring, a drug kingpin and head of Madrigal subsidiary Los Pollos Hermanos, looked around the Lavander?a Brillante industrial laundry complex when it was put up for sale. Gus told her that "it could work," in reference to its suitability as a site for what would become the superlab.("Off Brand")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Shane St. wrote: »
    1st episode this season that didn't really grip me and have my full attention. Lack of Mike in the last 2 episodes also. Hopefully it picks up steam again now heading into the last few episodes

I actually loved it, for me personally, whilst I enjoy Mike as a character with perpetually new depths, it can drag on longer than it should in some instances.

More than anyone I strongly disliked the idea of a prequel spin off, given that the fate of pivotal characters is sealed long before we're introduced, but BCS has brought me around big time to the concept of how people got to where they are rather than focusing on their actual fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

So... I was looking for looking for a video on YouTube about nacho and came across this crazy 8 one... Is there something in this? Does Jimmy get involved with crazy 8 somehow? Watch from about 30 seconds on...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Collective interview with 5 of the actors here (a few weeks ago I think).

And Rhea Seehorn looks even more amazing than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Am thoroughly enjoying this season but do find it hard to see why Kim stays around. It's harder & harder to see what she is getting from a relationship with Jimmy - there isn't even a huge degree of chemistry between them. Is it that they are incredibly close friends & both a bit alone in the world or is there genuine romantic love there? It will be interesting to see it play out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

optogirl wrote: »
    Am thoroughly enjoying this season but do find it hard to see why Kim stays around. It's harder & harder to see what she is getting from a relationship with Jimmy - there isn't even a huge degree of chemistry between them. Is it that they are incredibly close friends & both a bit alone in the world or is there genuine romantic love there? It will be interesting to see it play out.

I'm not even sure they're riding. Almost seems like a platonic or brother/sister relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

People don't seem to know what "filler" is tbh. Filler are episodes which do not contribute to the main plot of the show or the season; on no planet does the most recent episode count as filler - there are so many things that fill in issues for both the rest of BCS and BB.

It does sound to me that the main criticism is from people who prefer MOTW shows.

People don't seem to know what "filler" is tbh. Filler are episodes which do not contribute to the main plot of the show or the season; on no planet does the most recent episode count as filler - there are so many things that fill in issues for both the rest of BCS and BB.

It does sound to me that the main criticism is from people who prefer MOTW shows.

I think people's complaint is that this episode was more about setting up the next stage of the story and introducing new plotlines (Nacho turning against Hector, Chuck beginning to overcome his issue, Jimmy bringing back his Saul persona) because the previous two main stories (Mike meeting Gus and Jimmy V Chuck) came to a close in the last few weeks, in far more exciting episodes than this week's.

Not that I think this week's episode was bad, just a lot slower and providing setup than the last few episodes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Penn wrote: »
    I think people's complaint is that this episode was more about setting up the next stage of the story and introducing new plotlines (Nacho turning against Hector, Chuck beginning to overcome his issue, Jimmy bringing back his Saul persona) because the previous two main stories (Mike meeting Gus and Jimmy V Chuck) came to a close in the last few weeks, in far more exciting episodes than this week's.

Not that I think this week's episode was bad, just a lot slower and providing setup than the last few episodes.

It still doesn't mean it's a filler episode though so he is correct.

It still doesn't mean it's a filler episode though so he is correct.

I agree on a technical level, just saying that compared to other episodes and considering the type of show it is (eg. not a MOTW or Law & Order type show with Jimmy taking on different court cases), it was a much slower episode this week that's setting up stories as opposed to progressing them, so I think it's fair enough that people consider it a filler episode in the context of the show as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I don't watch any motw TV shows, I think there rubbish.

I described Jimmy's storyline in this episode as filler because I felt that's what it was, It seemed like a fun little interlude for him, It may be going somewhere, but even if it does it was still a very weak/stupid part of his story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I've re watched the first and second season hoping to find foreshadowing to an end (which happened in BB) and I can't believe I didn't notice that the opening scene of the entire series is set AFTER Breaking Bad ended. I'm now convinced that it will end with an extension to that scene.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Kim is going to walk into the Cinnabon that Jimmy is working in, with her husband Howard (after realising the Mesa Verde case is impossible to do alone and would need HHM).

She will probably recognise him but choose not to talk to him knowing what he has done in the events of BB. Leading to the inevitable Internet theories of "did she ignore him out of disgust for what he had done or did she not call attention to him as a way of protecting him and his new identity from trouble)

It would be the kind of bittersweet ending that fits with BB's ending. Not to mention the foreshadowing that seems very subtle but certainly exists, such as Howards softness towards Kim which didn't even seem like it fit into the narrative really...

• Advertisement

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    the opening scene of the entire series is set AFTER Breaking Bad ended.
    do you realise other scenes were in present day too?

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Jimmy_McGill

After Breaking Bad
    1x01 - Uno 01

Assuming a new identity as "Gene", Saul Goodman is seen working behind the counter at a shopping-mall Cinnabon located in Omaha, Nebraska. He becomes tense when a customer seems to be staring at him but is instantly relieved when the man passes by him to greet a friend. Later, inside an old, modest home, Saul pours himself a glass of liquor and watches TV, flipping through channels. He then rummages around for a VHS inside a shoebox and pops it in the VCR. The tape's contents are revealed to be a copy of his TV advertisements back in the days when Saul was still an esteemed lawyer. As the ads play, Saul begins to weep ("Uno").

At the end of another work day, Saul and his co-workers are cleaning and locking up for the night. He tells them to get home safe while he takes out the garbage. In the garbage room, the door (only being able to open from the outside) shuts, locking Saul in the room while he throws the garbage in the dumpster. Saul yells and calls out for anyone for several minutes until he decides to use the emergency exit. However, opening the door would trigger the alarm and the police would show up. Still paranoid, Saul decides not to open the door and resumes kicking and yelling for someone to open the door. After several attempts, Saul sits against the wall and finds a rusty nail and hold it up to his arm. A couple hours later the custodian (who is also taking out garbage) finally opens the door and Saul walks out right past him. On the wall, it has "S.G was here" carved in the wall by Saul ("Switch").

Another day at the mall: Saul is taking his lunch break on the second floor, away from the hustle and bustle, when a young man passes by him and proceeds to duck into a photo booth. As he does so, Saul notices several DVD cases falling from the boy's coat and immediately realizes the kid has been shoplifting. When a security guard and police officer show up hot on the boy's heels, and immediately ask "Gene" if he has seen the accused, Saul can only nod wordlessly in the direction of the photo booth. Watching helplessly as the shoplifter is pulled out and cuffed, Saul's old instints flare up, and he suddenly shouts at the boy to say nothing and hire a lawyer. Realizing he has just acted out of character for a simple fast-food manager, Saul manages to make it back to the Cinnabon and begins prepping more food before the shock overwhelms him and he passes out in a dead faint.

Advertisement