Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

rubadub wrote: »
    do you realise other scenes were in present day too?

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Jimmy_McGill

After Breaking Bad
    1x01 - Uno 01

Assuming a new identity as "Gene", Saul Goodman is seen working behind the counter at a shopping-mall Cinnabon located in Omaha, Nebraska. He becomes tense when a customer seems to be staring at him but is instantly relieved when the man passes by him to greet a friend. Later, inside an old, modest home, Saul pours himself a glass of liquor and watches TV, flipping through channels. He then rummages around for a VHS inside a shoebox and pops it in the VCR. The tape's contents are revealed to be a copy of his TV advertisements back in the days when Saul was still an esteemed lawyer. As the ads play, Saul begins to weep ("Uno").

At the end of another work day, Saul and his co-workers are cleaning and locking up for the night. He tells them to get home safe while he takes out the garbage. In the garbage room, the door (only being able to open from the outside) shuts, locking Saul in the room while he throws the garbage in the dumpster. Saul yells and calls out for anyone for several minutes until he decides to use the emergency exit. However, opening the door would trigger the alarm and the police would show up. Still paranoid, Saul decides not to open the door and resumes kicking and yelling for someone to open the door. After several attempts, Saul sits against the wall and finds a rusty nail and hold it up to his arm. A couple hours later the custodian (who is also taking out garbage) finally opens the door and Saul walks out right past him. On the wall, it has "S.G was here" carved in the wall by Saul ("Switch").

Another day at the mall: Saul is taking his lunch break on the second floor, away from the hustle and bustle, when a young man passes by him and proceeds to duck into a photo booth. As he does so, Saul notices several DVD cases falling from the boy's coat and immediately realizes the kid has been shoplifting. When a security guard and police officer show up hot on the boy's heels, and immediately ask "Gene" if he has seen the accused, Saul can only nod wordlessly in the direction of the photo booth. Watching helplessly as the shoplifter is pulled out and cuffed, Saul's old instints flare up, and he suddenly shouts at the boy to say nothing and hire a lawyer. Realizing he has just acted out of character for a simple fast-food manager, Saul manages to make it back to the Cinnabon and begins prepping more food before the shock overwhelms him and he passes out in a dead faint.

I forgot to put 1 and 1 together really. The black and white threw me off because it usually means the past in film making terms. I should have paid more attention to the SG initials but I probably thought at the time that it was his real name, since Jimmy McGill wasn't revealed until after.

Just goes to show that it pays to re watch a series, even if it is very slow. Or the person watching is very slow :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Just goes to show that it pays to re watch a series, even if it is very slow. Or the person watching is very slow :p
    haha, I didn't cop what was going on at the start either. Had to rewind. In the other 2 scenes it was not immediately obvious to me either.

His hair was more thinning but as it's not decades in the future or past it can be hard to tell as they do not make him up to look hugely different. I wish they would have dates shown or something, or have a subtitle option or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,857 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

so what is saul going to do for a year?

**** up so bad that Kim (the lovely Kim) leaves him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Poor episode that felt all over the place, I'll forgive it after last weeks excellence!

Let down by how they came up with the Saul name, it could have been done much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Poor episode that felt all over the place, I'll forgive it after last weeks excellence!

Let down by how they came up with the Saul name, it could have been done much better.

They already said that a few seasons back so there was nothing new there.

Good description of the episode, it did feel bitty, not thier usual high standards.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Actually, I really liked how they did the reveal. Perhaps I'm guilty of reading too much into certain situations, or plots, but I think that because Jimmy can be a bit impulsive, or chaotic even, the sudden flash of inspiration to use SG as a pseudonym in the ad seemed to me to be perfectly in character. And, when he says "its just a name...", that was brilliant. I felt Vince Gill was talking to us.

Wouldn't you love to sit down and have a cup of tea with the writer and key actors and chat all about it.....(of course we would).

Anyway, I think the long game is good enough to make up for any potentially less than rivetting scenes. I say scenes rather than episodes, because I felt the hearing was drawn out, and it really didn't have a totally satisfactory outcome - in terms of enlightening us. However, I liked the episode. Because it suggests so much more is coming.

Imagine, I only watched BB 2 years ago, after my kids(adults) got me chromecast and netflix for my 60th. They'd been at me for ages to watch it. When I finally did, I was hooked from the very first episode. This also means I have more recent memories of BB and the links to it are more obvious to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Anyone know how many series of this is planned ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Didn't have an issue with it. Some reconnaissance going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Wouldn't you love to sit down and have a cup of tea with the writer and key actors and chat all about it.....(of course we would).
    Do you follow the Better Call Saul Insider podcasts? I presume Vince et al are still doing them.

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    I'm not even sure they're riding. Almost seems like a platonic or brother/sister relationship.

Although the show doesn't show us much of that side of Kim and Jimmy's relationhip, most recently in the 'Chicanery' episode we saw them get out of bed together as they got ready to go into Jimmy's disbarment hearing.

They're definitely ag marcaíocht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Do you follow the Better Call Saul Insider podcasts? I presume Vince et al are still doing them.

Thanks Deep Blue for the heads up. I'll do a scout around for those. Someone posted a youtube above featuring 5 main actors, but I only watched about 45 seconds, then was afraid of spoilers - even though I'm sure they're professional enough to avoid that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Loved it! Of course not as BIG as last two weeks, but it was still fascinating, and yeah, setting up a lot of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

all they said on the podcast was that it was logical for him to do an ad [as he already had]. its just one ep what he does next I dunno.

Yeah there's no chance the ad making will be a thing, it's clearly just a way around the ad space reselling contract. As Jimmy said "with a bit of luck I might break even!".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

ricero wrote: »
    Anyone know how many series of this is planned ?

That was the final episode till Season 4 airs next April.

:p

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

And the cracks begin to appear

Great episode

Probably even slower than last week, but yeah it's really starting to come together. I'll be surprised if we haven't gone full Saul by the end of this season, with Salamanca fully ding dinged and Mike right in there.

Probably even slower than last week, but yeah it's really starting to come together. I'll be surprised if we haven't gone full Saul by the end of this season, with Salamanca fully ding dinged and Mike right in there.

Well Jimmy's shirt has changed to the green colour it won't be long now.

After this episode it confirmed the fact to me that insurance people are the real enemy far worse then any drug kingpins/crooked lawyers/dirty cops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They are really dragging it out now in my opinion, 52 minutes that could easily have been halved.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭wotausername

Next episode June 6th :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Did anyone else get the sense that Mike was thinking that the black girl was lying about her husbands death? She said that everyone had heard the story before but Mike wanted her to say it to him face to face to confirm it. It would also make sense that she isn't in the church group to grieve but because she feels guilty. With Mike being a human lie detector I think he picked up on it.

When he made the call straight afterwards to Ron to "get back in" it made more sense that he knew he couldn't avoid criminality wherever he goes after finding a murderer in a church group spinning a rehearsed poor me story.

His face during the conversation wasn't the typical "I'm sorry this happened to you" expression but more of a "questioning cop" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Did anyone else get the sense that Mike was thinking that the black girl was lying about her husbands death? She said that everyone had heard the story before but Mike wanted her to say it to him face to face to confirm it. It would also make sense that she isn't in the church group to grieve but because she feels guilty. With Mike being a human lie detector I think he picked up on it.

When he made the call straight afterwards to Ron to "get back in" it made more sense that he knew he couldn't avoid criminality wherever he goes after finding a murderer in a church group spinning a rehearsed poor me story.

His face during the conversation wasn't the typical "I'm sorry this happened to you" expression but more of a "questioning cop" one.

Like it, I thought there was something a bit odd in that scene that didn't gel with the next scene of him callling ron

edit: Actually i'd thought it was odd that ye wan never considered that the husband hadnt done a runner..she was sure he was brown bread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Too much filler in these episodes

Jimmy selling the ads is pretty boring stuff

I just thought the grieving lady's story spurred him into getting proper revenge on Hector again. I.e. that innocent lad who was killed as a result of Mike's previous business with Hector could just have easily have been that lady's missing husband. Seemed pretty clear to me anyway.

I just thought the grieving lady's story spurred him into getting proper revenge on Hector again. I.e. that innocent lad who was killed as a result of Mike's previous business with Hector could just have easily have been that lady's missing husband. Seemed pretty clear to me anyway.
    yeah could be, but no body = suspicious

glad Kim is finally showing she has a conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

glad Kim is finally showing she has a conscience.

I thought her mini meltdown with the client was badly acted and cringey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

He's mixin' up numbers on important documents.
    He he He had a complete mental breakdown at the bar hearing.
    Your brother he had a breakdown in court? It's in the transcripts.
    :D sneaky

I found it odd offering yer man 20,000 straight off for some empty capsules, even if not planning on paying him it would sound alarm bells, which it did.

I am thinking of reading up no more online in case of spoilers, I used to think it was safe if you were "up to date", and would be seeing genuine guesswork, but then saw people were watching previews of next weeks episodes -I guess they might be careful about what is shown. I then saw people were looking on IMDB and looking at future cast members, and the descriptions of their roles -I was not impressed at all. I saw one mentioned and stupidly went on imdb to confirm it really was revealing such things and saw another I would rather have not seen.

Advertisement