Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Funnily enough, I thought Mike took it on because he actually likes Nacho and was probably interested to know what the plan is. With Mike's previous history with Hector, he probably figures that a botched assassination attempt would have far and wide ranging repercussions, perhaps even for Mike and the granddaughter.
    Remember when Nacho wanted Tuco bumped off, Mike could have done it but advised against it. Probably as much self preservation in there as well. And now that Gus and the Cartel are known to be part of the picture, there's no hiding place if things go belly up.

I think. :D

After a second viewing, I think Mike's concern for Nacho has nothing to do with personality. There's a kind of rapport there, but its purely on a 'business' footing.

I think the reason for getting involved was as others have suggested, he didn't want Baseball guy to end up as one of the disappeared, because he saw first hand the impact on the woman in the support group.

Haven't been able to guess what he asked Nacho for at the end.

I still think the development of Jimmy/Saul is well on track. You can see the hatred for Chuck taking hold, but I think its affecting Kim, even in her work. She'll either go back home to the one horse town, or go to HHM. I think Chuck will have difficulty with his insurance and it might put him out of the business altogether - although the late night phonecall to the doctor must be going to provide some sort of surprise.......

on tenterhooks here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Great episode !

Good to see things moving again ... I'll put spoiler tags since Netflix haven't aired it yet
    The scene where Nacho swapped the pills - such tension.
    Loved the way Saul scammed the music shop guys and that last scene with Mike and Guss !!!

awesome stuff, should be a great final 2 episodes, I'm assuming Spain will skip a week somewhere, can't imagine they'd get the finale before AMC do ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

The scene where Nacho swapped the pills - such tension.

It was a very suspenseful scene, throwing the pill into his pocket seemed kind of unnecessary tho, there must be a safer way to get them back in his pocket.

It looks as though Kim is going to but Jimmy to work on the new client, I suppose he could do all the heavy lifting but she would still have to sign off on things, It will be a very welcome move in the plot as Jimmy has stagnated lately, how long will it be until he's cutting corners tho.

Howard is not going to be happy when he hears Chucks plans to get back in the court room, will be interesting to see where they go with that, bold prediction but could we see Howard kill Chuck?.

I am very interested to hear what lead up to Mike finding what I assume is the body of the missing person from the last episode, You would imagine finding a body buried in the desert would be practically impossible, hope the can give us a reasonable explanation.

Overall better than the last couple of episodes but still nothing to get too excited about.

It was a very suspenseful scene, throwing the pill into his pocket seemed kind of unnecessary tho, there must be a safer way to get them back in his pocket.

It looks as though Kim is going to but Jimmy to work on the new client, I suppose he could do all the heavy lifting but she would still have to sign off on things, It will be a very welcome move in the plot as Jimmy has stagnated lately, how long will it be until he's cutting corners tho.

Howard is not going to be happy when he hears Chucks plans to get back in the court room, will be interesting to see where they go with that, bold prediction but could we see Howard kill Chuck?.

I am very interested to hear what lead up to Mike finding what I assume is the body of the missing person from the last episode, You would imagine finding a body buried in the desert would be practically impossible, hope the can give us a reasonable explanation.

Overall better than the last couple of episodes but still nothing to get too excited about.
    No, this body is the body of the guy Hector shot from last season - the guy that discovered Hectors truck after the robbery Mike committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

No, this body is the body of the guy Hector shot from last season - the guy that discovered Hectors truck after the robbery Mike committed.

Oh ok, that makes allot more sense, I suppose Mike feels a bit responsible, and atleast it may give his family some closure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,780 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is so tempting to read those spoilers above.

I nearly read one by accident when I was going to reply.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The bit with the community service guy was great too

Oh ok, that makes allot more sense, I suppose Mike feels a bit responsible, and atleast it may give his family some closure.

Exactly, and for sure the conversation with the lady from the week before talking about her husband vanishing of the face of the earth would have motivated him to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Goddamn the entire sequence with Mando and placing the pills was intense. Brilliant work by everyone involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Has episode 9 been shown in Spain this week would anyone know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Getting very cagey about reading some posts here, for fear of spoilers of the accidental variety.

Enjoyed that today. You can really see Saul starting to materialize. Advising someone he knows to be crooked, and taking money for it.....

on the other side of the coin, Jimmy's ability as a lawyer is what makes any of this possible. Of course whether that works in real life or not, I've no idea. But for as long as I'm watching BCS, that world is real, and therefore the context for everything, so anything is not only possible but plausible. So, the scene with the Supervisor is exactly how to reveal Saul.

As soon as I saw Mike pulling up at the Billboard, it dawned on me what he'd asked Nacho for. Is he hoping to trigger something with Hector's condition, by bringing police heat down on him? or is it related to the conversation at the church meeting - missing persons, etc?

Liked Kim's kick in the balls to Howard about conning his clients! So my theory about her getting a job there is now out the window!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

massy086 wrote: »
    Has episode 9 been shown in Spain this week would anyone know

I heard they were just going to repeat ep 8. I see ep 8 listed for 22.35 here

http://www.movistarplus.es/programacion-tv

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

What was the deal with the body in the desert? Two weeks and I've forgotten!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Did they just show EP8 again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

noodler wrote: »
    What was the deal with the body in the desert? Two weeks and I've forgotten!

I'm guessing it's the driver from the delivery who got killed. His death seems to be playing on Mike's mind. Notifying the authorities of the body could result in pressure being applied to Hector, or maybe the just wanted the man's body to be returned to his family and have a proper burial, after the story he heard in the therapy session.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,780 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Mc Love wrote: »
    The bit with the community service guy was great too

Yeah he was very convincing.
    All the actors seem to be top quality, even ones that just make a cameo like yer man.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Breaking Bad spoilers, just in case...

That was a great episode, IMO.

The more I watch this show, the worse Walter White gets as a person. Poor Mike :mad:

You can't help but feel while watching the likes of Jimmy/Saul worrying about his near-future, Gus working to expand his cartel, Mike looking to leave a nest-egg for his family, that none of it matters because there's a high-school chemistry teacher soon about to get a terminal cancer diagnosis. And in turn, that will be a terminal diagnosis for all of their own lives and/or interests soon enough.

Elsewhere, with Chuck, are the writers going to make us build a fondness for him before possibly killing him off? The Chuck who tried to get Jimmy disbarred, the Chuck whose actions caused the creation of "F**k Chuck!", I could get some satisfaction seeing that character meet a lonely, untimely end.

However, a Chuck who is trying to get his life back in order, and seriously acknowledge and address his mental condition rather than use it to his advantages over others, I might find myself wishing him life and good fortune rather than early death.

Chuck has been a SOB at times, but has he been really wrong about Jimmy? Does he deserve death because he tried all legal means to have his law-bending/breaking brother disbarred? I'm not so sure now, not as sure as I was before the last two episodes.

With Kim, it was great to see her get an FU of sorts over a very smug Howard. Is she maybe taking on a bit too much work with this new firm? Also, I got a hint of a jealousy from Page while the 3 of them were having lunch and Kim was chatting with Mr. Mesa Verde about golf. Also, Page seemed to be reluctant for Kim to expand her business. I can see the two of them coming to some kind of disagreement of large consequences for Kim soon.

So Jimmy is Saul now, more or less. When we first meet Saul in BB, wasn't he wearing a neck-brace at times for visual purposes related to insurance? I wonder if that fall in the guitar store will be the cause of that, and if not, what other poor business will befall Jimmy's ire and an insurance claim. That said though, to hell with those guys in the guitar store for looking to send Jimmy packing with no money for his efforts. They got what they deserved in the end.

Finally, speaking of Jimmy's efforts, in this episode Kim gave him an out, or at least a temporary one. She offered him a chance to rest and relax, to stop grinding and worrying about money for a while. If he had taken that, he wouldn't have to be out beg-selling TV airtime, throwing himself on the floor to force a transaction, go head to head with the community service inspector, all of that and more.

While I do feel that Jimmy feels that covering his share is just the honorable thing to do, I have no doubt that he is drawn to the grind and the thrill of the unlawful elements of his day to day. The look of satisfaction on his face after he lies down on his back after out-smarting the CS guy and making $700 in the process said a lot.

Kim gave him an out and he declined. Jimmy feels that making the effort to earn money and keeping up in the expenses with Kim is what is most important to her. In fact, him not becoming someone like Saul Goodman is more important to her I reckon. All of his efforts to do what he thinks will please her, will only push her away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Well his tv ad business is finished cos he sold all the slots. Next phase of Saul begun there and then.

Very good episode. You could feel the heat in the pill scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Another very strong episode, the run times simply fly by!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Did the end credits use the breaking bad end credit theme?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This show is so inconsistent around its main character that it's incredibly frustrating because as this week's episode showed again, they CAN write a story for Jimmy/Saul that's completely compelling.

Even in an episode with some very interesting development for Chuck, a genuinely tense scene with Nacho and Hector, and of course Mike being quality as ever, the Jimmy storyline wasn't overshadowed by these and stood out in the episode.

I just wish they'd do it more often.. Excellent episode

Only 2 more episodes :(
    Does anyone know how many seasons are planned for this ?
    I would say at least 2 more (i'd hope :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Another strong episode.

I think it’s a key moment in the development of Saul as he realises that criminals will pay over the odds for his talents when they are in a tight spot.

Also, don’t get people saying it was better than the last few episodes as it moved the story along and had a tense ‘thriller’ scene with the pills.

For me the last few episodes have been some of the strongest yet.

I love how the show is all about the characters and their nuances and not just solely about major moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

stankratz wrote: »
    Breaking Bad spoilers, just in case...

Also, I got a hint of a jealousy from Page while the 3 of them were having lunch and Kim was chatting with Mr. Mesa Verde about golf. Also, Page seemed to be reluctant for Kim to expand her business. I can see the two of them coming to some kind of disagreement of large consequences for Kim soon.

I don't think Paige is jealous of Kim, I think she's just a bit worried that this work will add more stress to Kim who she's seen to be a bit short/unprofessional with her (Paige) at times.
    Paige brought Kim in to do this work so it will reflect badly on her if Kim screws up.

Good episode last night. Again, like the drugs in the shoe story, I thought the pills switch plan was over elaborate. It was very well written, especially dismantling the aircon to ensure Don Hector takes off the coat. But if he goes to that trouble why not wait until Hector goes to the toilet, then make the switch. I know that wouldn't make good TV but still having to throw the pills into the pocket just seems overly risky. Similar to the van having to park directly under the shoes for that to work.
    But yeah it wouldn't make good TV and maybe Hector brings the coat to the toilet or maybe Hector doesn't use the toilet in the cafe etc etc...
    It was good though, you could really feel the heat in the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

murpho999 wrote: »
    Another strong episode.

I think it’s a key moment in the development of Saul as he realises that criminals will pay over the odds for his talents when they are in a tight spot.

I love how the show is all about the characters and their nuances and not just solely about major moments.

Exactly, the realisation that instead of being straight laced Jimmy, saying 'C'mon man' to the guy who signs of his time, he can flex his legal muscles and have that guy working for him, along with getting paid for getting a guy off.

Same with the guitar shop, instead of doing what he did last week, letting himself get pushed around, he worked himself into a superior position, albeit deceitfully. It's been brilliant to watch the last few weeks.

The small things like the montages of Mike digging the holes & the operation of changing the powder in the pills, along with practicing the jacket throw are what puts this show ahead of the pack for me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

D'Agger wrote: »
    The small things like the montages of Mike digging the holes & the operation of changing the powder in the pills, along with practicing the jacket throw are what puts this show ahead of the pack for me

For me montages like that are annoying, there was a 1.15 minutes given to him making the pills, that's 4% the episode given over to a guy crushing some Ibuprofen, using a small spoon to fill a cap, putting a cap on it and putting a little spray on it, I'm all for building suspense and the scene in the cafe counting the money was great but it feels like it's just being done to make it look artey at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good episode. I agree with the poster above who argued that the last few episodes have been very strong, I feel the same, but the latest was just a cherry on top of a string of a good run.

I'd love if this continued this to run concurrently with BB or beyond. I was entirely skeptical when I heard BCS was going to be a prequel, because frankly I hated the idea of a show about characters whose fates were already known and decided, but they're doing an excellent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Clareman wrote: »
    For me montages like that are annoying, there was a 1.15 minutes given to him making the pills, that's 4% the episode given over to a guy crushing some Ibuprofen, using a small spoon to fill a cap, putting a cap on it and putting a little spray on it, I'm all for building suspense and the scene in the cafe counting the money was great but it feels like it's just being done to make it look artey at this stage.

What's your rush, just enjoy it for what it is.

Breaking Bad did that sort of stuff all the time when they were cooking and accompanied by a good soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah that's textbook Breaking Bad to be fair, I don't see how you'd end up even watching this show if you hate that stuff. It gives you a moment to start thinking along with the character while you wonder what they're plotting. Great stories don't tell you the story, they let the story unravel, and that's what this does. I love that stuff personally, it's the kinda thing that marked Breaking Bad as a transcendent show to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I see it as 4% of the episode being dedicated to showing what was required to get to the point of the nail biting - pill swap scene. This show(& BB previously) seems to highlight the behind the scenes work that some might find boring, but shoot it in a way that makes it interesting allowing the audience to appreciate the 'action' moments later. For me, the drama of the pill swap isn't heightened without seeing him spend the night grafting & practicing the swap - it shows the stakes are high and this isn't something that would be rushed.

Also, I agree with an earlier poster - the soundtrack always seems perfect for these shots

Advertisement