Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Haha! Of course, but it could have gotten half or even a quarter of the screen time it was given.

I agree with you on that bit to an extent.

But they wanted to make sure to show the passage of time and how Jimmy gradually wore Irene's friends down and turn them against her.

It is meant to feel longer while you are watching it, to indicate the effort and the slog.

If they did a speedy musical montage like the ones with Jesse and Walter in Breaking Bad I don't think it would have got that same feel.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I actually thought it was one of the poorest episodes of the season.

It amuses me how I think the polar opposite, and the bits you hated were my favorite scenes.

There was me thinking everyone will be talking about this episode for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

especially liked the scene with Nacho and his father, and the scene where we realise the pills are a placebo,.

Watched it tonight tired so reading this thread is proving useful, but I didn't catch that at all? What's that about fake pills?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

Spectacular episode tonight. Way up there with breaking bad. I'm really wondering are the guys saying it's no good watching a different show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

De Bhál wrote: »
    Watched it tonight tired so reading this thread is proving useful, but I didn't catch that at all? What's that about fake pills?

Hector starts having an episode so he takes one of the pills and his symptoms are relieved, so I assume the pills he was prescribed were just a placebo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I adored every BB episode, even the fly! :D

I quite enjoyed tonight's, but find it hard to see how anyone could think Jimmy doing bingo/yoga/mall walking with old dears would be anywhere near some of the episodes where Mike or Nacho or Gus shone.

Hector starts having an episode so he takes one of the pills and his symptoms are relieved, so I assume the pills he was prescribed were just a placebo.

He replaced them with ibuprofen so they could be having an impact but the long term damage will soon show, we know that for a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I adored every BB episode, even the fly! :D

I quite enjoyed tonight's, but find it hard to see how anyone could think Jimmy doing bingo/yoga/mall walking with old dears would be anywhere near some of the episodes where Mike or Nacho or Gus shone.

Depends what you're looking for, I'd watch Designated Survivor or CSI if I wanted mindless action or crime drama. I love the way Gilligan et al dig into the minutae of life before eventually zooming back out when they need to and have all the pieces exactly where you need them to be so you get the full emotional impact. But different strokes, I love Mad Men and other slow moving, character-based shows too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It was a dick move to use Irene, but pure greed? I think he had a very valid point in that HMM were slowballing it to milk it, not caring that some of their clients might not even see their payouts.

Nah, Howard has Jimmy right, he wants that money

I think the funny thing is that Howard,for a guy who's meant to be a dick, is the only character who keeps his actions aligned with his moral compass. The other characters delude themselves as to their motives when they do wrong for selfish reasons

Note chuck who claimed he wouldnt be bought out when he was sick as it would cost people their jobs, we now know that was a convenient excuse as has no problem threatening to bankrupt the same company in order to protect his own self image.

He replaced them with ibuprofen so they could be having an impact but the long term damage will soon show, we know that for a fact.

I'm not sure a over the counter medication would provide any relief especially not that quickly anyways, I'd say it's more lightly that he's been taking a placebo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I'm not sure a over the counter medication would provide any relief especially not that quickly anyways, I'd say it's more lightly that he's been taking a placebo.
    would you not but some of the previous ingredient in the pills to cover.

would you not but some of the previous ingredient in the pills to cover.

If the objective was to kill I don't think I would bother, If they investigate the pills and find that only some of it is the right ingredient it's going to be obvious that someone tampered with them anyways.

We know Nacho didn't do this as the empty capsules cost him a ridiculous 20 grand, If he had the original pills he could just open and empty them.

There is that angle to it he takes the pills out of habit and it calms him.

But the other angle is whatever Nacho put in those pills will take a while to work on Hector yet.

leggo wrote: »
    But different strokes, I love Mad Men and other slow moving, character-based shows too.

I prefer slow moving character based shows to, That doesn't mean all slow moving character based shows are good tho, and although BCS is far from the worst thing on tv, it definitely has its flaws.

But the other angle is whatever Nacho put in those pills will take a while to work on Hector yet.

As the other poster said, Nacho replaced the pills with ibprufen, he would have to be getting stressed out every 10 mins for them to kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It was a dick move to use Irene, but pure greed? I think he had a very valid point in that HMM were slowballing it to milk it, not caring that some of their clients might not even see their payouts.

Kim's comment that class actions never settle that quickly indicates that it was probably the wrong option for them to take.

Depends what you're looking for, I'd watch Designated Survivor or CSI if I wanted mindless action or crime drama. I love the way Gilligan et al dig into the minutae of life before eventually zooming back out when they need to and have all the pieces exactly where you need them to be so you get the full emotional impact. But different strokes, I love Mad Men and other slow moving, character-based shows too.

I have no problem with slow moving. I could watch Mike discussing the weather with Gus for 10 hours. Watching Jimmy talk crap to some Matlock extra is a waste of quality BB universe time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Bambi wrote: »
    Nah, Howard has Jimmy right, he wants that money

I think the funny thing is that Howard,for a guy who's meant to be a dick, is the only character who keeps his actions aligned with his moral compass. The other characters delude themselves as to their motives when they do wrong for selfish reasons

This is a great point. The extent to which we're sympathising with the morally bankrupt Jimmy isn't entirely clear without characters like Howard. Howard might be a preppie douche but he hasn't done anything wrong: he wanted to give Jimmy a shot at HHM, he helped him get the other job, he's supported Chuck as much as he could be reasonably expected to. Howard is the only character who hasn't compromised himself at all and gets all the hate.

I have no problem with slow moving. I could watch Mike discussing the weather with Gus for 10 hours. Watching Jimmy talk crap to some Matlock extra is a waste of quality BB universe time.

Yeah like you're allowed like what you like. It's just if you don't enjoy:

1) Jimmy and,
    2) Episodes based around someone building a plan and putting it together...

...this probably isn't the show for you, because that's what the show is. It's like coming on here every week and complaining that Brooklyn 99 needs to have less cop stuff and less comedy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It dovetails really nicely with Chuck and the battery sneaked into his pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

jooksavage wrote: »
    This is a great point. The extent to which we're sympathising with the morally bankrupt Jimmy isn't entirely clear without characters like Howard. Howard might be a preppie douche but he hasn't done anything wrong: he wanted to give Jimmy a shot at HHM, he helped him get the other job, he's supported Chuck as much as he could be reasonably expected to. Howard is the only character who hasn't compromised himself at all and gets all the hate.

Skyler in a suit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The pacing of the show is very frustrating for me, there is so much wasted time but also there's great suspense building, for example did we really need a minute of Jimmy injecting magnetic paint into balls (hehe) followed by Irene walking into the bingo hall followed by him making sure she'd get the right card, that took a couple of minutes. At this stage I reckon the 10 episode series could probably be done in 9 with the amount of unnecessary scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Other angles are that Hector either has several bottles of pills on the go at the same time or that he knows Nacho made the swap and has already replaced the pills. Doesn't get us to where we know he will end up but there could be another reason for the wheelchair.

Yeah like you're allowed like what you like. It's just if you don't enjoy:

1) Jimmy and,
    2) Episodes based around someone building a plan and putting it together...

...this probably isn't the show for you, because that's what the show is. It's like coming on here every week and complaining that Brooklyn 99 needs to have less cop stuff and less comedy.

Christ, it's like Scientology. You know, sometimes, Jimmy doing Jimmy stuff could be better written? Talk about brain washed. Don't patronise me with "this show isn't for you" cos I can see fault with one bloody episode. Pathetic.

jooksavage wrote: »

And he paid Kim's way through law school as well.

Christ, it's like Scientology. You know, sometimes, Jimmy doing Jimmy stuff could be better written? Talk about brain washed. Don't patronise me with "this show isn't for you" cos I can see fault with one bloody episode. Pathetic.

Jaysus sorry, I'm not criticising. It's just the things you've been criticising the show for the past few weeks, as a few posters have said, are the things most people like the show for. I'm not saying you're wrong for disliking the flaws you found, in fact I specifically said you're entitled to like what you like, but when 98% of the audience enjoys the exact things you dislike that's when it gets to the stage where maybe the show isn't for you and you're just winding yourself up. I'm the same with Dexter, I know everyone loves it but it just annoys me anytime I've given it a go, so I stopped watching and didn't look back instead of trying to convince the world it was a bad show. It's just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

And he paid Kim's way through law school as well.

Yeah! I'd forgotten that. He's a cool guy really. How about another spin-off? "Boy Howardy!" or something. It'll be about Hamlin jr. doing right by everybody and getting screwed over every day just for being a boy scout and wearing a knitted tie. Oh another angle - turns out Howard is secretly a high functioning meth-head... until he gets hopelessly hooked on blue-sky... possibilities are endless.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Kim storyline, the new Chuck V Howard storyline, Hector V Gus storyline, the oh so slow journey of Jimmy into Saul, we're at ep 8 of season 3, this show must surely be good for another three series?

Jaysus sorry, I'm not criticising. It's just the things you've been criticising the show for the past few weeks, as a few posters have said, are the things most people like the show for. I'm not saying you're wrong for disliking the flaws you found, in fact I specifically said you're entitled to like what you like, but when 98% of the audience enjoys the exact things you dislike that's when it gets to the stage where maybe the show isn't for you and you're just winding yourself up. I'm the same with Dexter, I know everyone loves it but it just annoys me anytime I've given it a go, so I stopped watching and didn't look back instead of trying to convince the world it was a bad show. It's just not for me.

Point me to these "things I've been criticising the show on for the past few weeks".

This is the first episode I've criticised in ages.

Not that there is anything wrong with criticism. This is a discussion thread.

You seem to respond to anyone with critical remarks on the show with a simple "there's the door" rather than you know, discussing it, or accepting other people's opinions.

• Advertisement

Point me to these "things I've been criticising the show on for the past few weeks".

This is the first episode I've criticised in ages.

Not that there is anything wrong with criticism. This is a discussion thread.

You seem to respond to anyone with critical remarks on the show with a simple "there's the door" rather than you know, discussing it, or accepting other people's opinions.

Ah here everyone calm down

"
    Computer Screen

Keyboard

Caps lock"

"
    Computer Screen

Keyboard

Caps lock"

"
    Computer Screen

Keyboard