Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

A thing that I loved in the past few episodes; Chuck noticing the colours of things - brown journal, yellow mug, green jumper, etc. I know it was just a technique to calm himself but it reminded me of watching Breaking Bad and noticing the use of colours - Marie and her purple everything, the change in costuming colours to pale shades as Walt got dirtier, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Good episode, I can understand why people might call it poor - too strong, but for sure it's slow and some scenes could be moved along quicker while others could spend more time on - for example I wish they had put more of this episode into Hector/Gus/Nacho and less into Jimmy/Kim/Chuck- although I did like the scene of Chuck unraveling and that dark ending.

Really looking forward to S4 now, I think it will really focus on Mike/Gus/Hector side of the story since Chuck is gone and I see no reason to have Howard in it much from now on.

And of course Jimmy should really kick into Saul mode.

I also have a funny feeling a certain Tuco will be released from prison soon and be gunning for someone to blame on what happened Hector.

T I G H T
    T I G H T
    T I G H T
    T I G H T

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Spot on. Excellent comparison. Led to believe he's a bit of a d*ck, turns out he's an ok guy in the end.

I think they deliberately gave the impression he was someone who liked projecting an image of propriety but was really a self serving bastard while chuck was the opposite, an old school by-the-book-type

Then they flipped it. I guess it follows the whole theme confidence tricksters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Some guy on reddit had it predicted at the beginning of the season that Lantern signified the end of Chuck.
    These guys are unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I also have a funny feeling a certain Tuco will be released from prison soon and be gunning for someone to blame on what happened Hector.

I'd say we're more likely to see the Cousins. One of the things that nearly gave Hector a heart attack earlier this season was hearing Tuco assaulted someone (can't remember if it was a guard or another prisoner) and got his sentence increased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Good episode, I can understand why people might call it poor - too strong, but for sure it's slow and some scenes could be moved along quicker while others could spend more time on - for example I wish they had put more of this episode into Hector/Gus/Nacho and less into Jimmy/Kim/Chuck

Yeah I think the bit that annoyed me the most about the episode was Jimmy going back to Chuck to talk about his 'regrets'.

I felt this was done just to emphasise things to the audience and did not really add anything to the episode at all.

It just seemed put in there out of nowhere.

Letting Chuck die without Jimmy having spoken to him would have been far more convincing about how it contributed to Jimmy's spiral into Saul.

And Jimmy learns about how Chuck tried to blackmail Howard into keeping him in the firm etc after his death.

They did Chuck's deterioration very well I think and Howard's battle with him.

The only word I can use to describe the rest of the episode is that it lacked punch.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

great season - sorry to see it finish, always looked forward to Tuesday evenings.

Some great scenes last night, Don Hector in Nacho's dads place when he sees the Dad in the back office and goes "There's Papi" or something similar and you could see the malevolence in him at that moment.

Chuck's suicide, that was tough. (Don't know how some on here could think that he might be still alive, he's gone).
    Also the scene with him looking for the live wire, I was watching him sticking his hand in the holes and just squirming waiting for him to get a shock, great stuff.

Kym actually gave Jimmy a small kiss

Regarding Don Hector's heart-attack, i thought Gus was in on the pill plan as Mike had helped Nacho with the finer details so I assumed Mike was reporting back to Gus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There was a noticeable difference this season in how they portrayed Kim. This was the first season where you actually got the impression that she likes Jimmy. They had her show a bit of affection, understanding of who and what he is when all you saw previously was a bit of disdain.

I wonder if this was an attempt to de-skylarify here for lack of a better word. He has a habbit of writing unlikeable leading woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Hector hassling Ace Ventura back in the nineties.
    He's always been a prick. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Hector timeline.

In BCS, it looks like we're reaching that character we're familiar with in BB.
    But has that scene where they kill Gus's friend in Don Eladio's occurred yet in BCS?

• Advertisement

Hector timeline.

But has that scene where they kill Gus's friend in Don Eladio's occurred yet in BCS?

Oh yeah, that happened long before. Probably in the late 80's or early 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Hector timeline.

Was thinking that too but the meeting in BB is before Gus starts working for Don Eladio.

De Bhál wrote: »

Kym actually gave Jimmy a small kiss

This was bit in the episode that really shocked me.

I did not expect that all.

Regarding Don Hector's heart-attack, i thought Gus was in on the pill plan as Mike had helped Nacho with the finer details so I assumed Mike was reporting back to Gus.

Yeah, they gave each other a knowing look to each other at the end of the scene.

I found a review here of the last episode. 'Lantern' (But the reviewer seems to like the show at lot less then I do in general)

The reviewer made the similar points as I did about the Jimmy/Chuck meeting.

The review also questioned why Mike did not appear like other posters have said.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/better-call-saul-review-season-3-episode-10-lantern-finale-netflix-is-that-it-a7798831.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yeah, they gave each other a knowing look to each other at the end of the scene.

Will have to watch again, but I don't think they looked at each other, Gus looked at Nacho while Nacho looked the other way.

Also the desperation of Chuck as he was trying to feel where the electricity was all over the house, and failing again and again, confirming to him over and over that it is all in his mind, yet he couldn't find a way to reconcile it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

yeah, because I reckon Gus knows the plan but Nacho doesn't know Gus knows

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Kirby wrote: »
    There was a noticeable difference this season in how they portrayed Kim. This was the first season where you actually got the impression that she likes Jimmy. They had her show a bit of affection, understanding of who and what he is when all you saw previously was a bit of disdain.

I wonder if this was an attempt to de-skylarify here for lack of a better word. He has a habbit of writing unlikeable leading woman.

I think you're projecting. Kim has always been an extremely likable character. Fun, funny, hard-working with a strong moral centre and never a nag or hypocrite. Apart from the hair colour there's no comparison with Skylar White.

I think you're projecting. Kim has always been an extremely likable character. Fun, funny, hard-working with a strong moral centre and never a nag or hypocrite. Apart from the hair colour there's no comparison with Skylar White.

I think what the poster means is the Jimmy/Kim dynamic has been a bit robotic and they are trying to soften it a bit?

I think what the poster means is the Jimmy/Kim dynamic has been a bit robotic and they are trying to soften it a bit?

The thing about Jimmy/Kim is that they're just so familiar with each other even from before the show that there's no lust or romance. Everything between them is more about their comfort with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

De Bh?l wrote: »
    yeah, because I reckon Gus knows the plan but Nacho doesn't know Gus knows

don't think Mike told Gus.

• Advertisement

whata age is chuck supposed to be?

whata age is chuck supposed to be?

Good question

Late 50's it says here:

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Chuck_McGill

And according to this Jimmy is 41 in better call saul:

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Saul_Goodman

Good question

Late 50's it says here:

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Chuck_McGill

And according to this Jimmy is 41 in better call saul:

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Saul_Goodman

I know they have to be flexible with ages because they just can't get around it, but its confusing to see a 69 year old (as Michael McKean is) man fight retirement so hard (as he was across the last two episodes) Maybe a self employed lawyers would go for as long as they can (until their mind gives up which for Chuck it may have)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Very little Mike at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Was anyone else waiting for the girl in the bingo hall to come out to Jimmy and say the same balls kept on coming out???

Nice little spot by the NY times too : The brand of tequila Jimmy brings to his failed celebration at the end of the episode is Zafiro A?ejo, which reappears in “Breaking Bad,” laced with poison, to wipe out the Mexican cartel.

I googled 35 year old Macallan Scotch that Howard offered Chuck, $5700 a bottle! Won't be buying it anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I am not finished this final episode yet but I am glad to see we now have a rough idea of what year we are in with this timeline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I am not finished this final episode yet but I am glad to see we now have a rough idea of what year we are in with this timeline.

I was all ready to Google big fish, and Jimmy goes and shouts out the year!!:D

And now the long long wait begins..

A solid enough end to a very good season. Chuck completely unravelling was tough to watch. I knew he was a goner but thought he was gonna electrocute himself attacking the metre!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

This could explain Nacho's absence from BB

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Okay firstly, I wansn't comparing her to Skylar. You have misread that. What I said was that in writing her more likeable, they have attempted to de-skylarize her in the same way they did in season 5 of BB.

The difference between season 1/2 Kim and season 3 kim is fairly stark. There is no projection there.....the evidence is in the episodes. She most certainly was a "nag" as you put it. "Oh Jimmy, don't do that! You can't do that! You ran what ad without permission?!? No jimmy, I can't go into partnership with you. You have to go work for Davis and Main!"

There is the perception that she is putting up with him, that she's not committed like he is. She also showed almost no affection for him. That all changed in season 3.

She went from disdain at his actions (manipulating Mesa Verde numbers) to understanding them (Knowing how he manipulated the old ladies and not judging.)

There is a big difference. As someone who rewatched seasons 1 and 2 just prior to season 3, it was very noticeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Chuck (for me) decided to kill himself but make it look like an accident, hence the kicking/spasm motions to make it look like he feel asleep in the chair whilst the fire burned around him. Not the nicest or quickest way to go if you're going to kill yourself one would imagine, but pride wouldn't allow him to be thought of as someone who took their own life.

For me the realisation he was truly on his own came when Howard called his bluff and rejected his offer to end the acrimony with "just a handshake". He'd lost his work, his partner, his ex-wife and his brother. There was nothing else left. The pain in his voice as he told Jimmy he never meant anything to him was palpable. He just couldn't help himself - pride again.

Overall, it's definitely getting better season by season for me, and I really like Nacho (though I assume he's going to come to a bad end pretty soon). One question on Nacho - and apologies if this has already been asked - is the actor wearing eyeliner? I'm just curious.

My main complaint would be not enough Mike or Gus (agree with a previous poster that Giancarlo Esposito has aged a lot since BB), but it's still one of the better shows on tv right now.

Advertisement