Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

loving it so far.

can anyone clear up if Chuck is Saul/Jimmys brother or father. or other relative. I don't think its been specified in the show yet.
    I'll assume brother as he refers to him as Chuck (with Vince Gilligan you can't really assume anything)

I could have sworn that he was referred to as his brother when Saul burst into the boardroom with their ripped up check?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Not sure what the correct TV lingo is here, but I found myself feeling a bit weary during both the montage detailing his public defender merry go round and the breadstick bit. These were very Breaking Bad in their style but I feel like it's a bit overdone by this stage. Let's try something new. I hope there isn't a lot more montages (or whatever) in the same style throughout the series.

I think you're on your own on this.

I thought it was a great piece that really worked.

What something new would you come up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

loving it so far.

can anyone clear up if Chuck is Saul/Jimmys brother or father. or other relative. I don't think its been specified in the show yet.
    I'll assume brother as he refers to him as Chuck (with Vince Gilligan you can't really assume anything)

Definitely his brother. I read this interview with McKean (Chuck) during the week that clears it up.
    Does Chuck's brotherly relationship with Jimmy have cinematic roots or was it drawn from someone's life experience?

MM: It's a very specific thing in life. If one is the successful sibling, then the parents and the other friends are always after to you. "What can you do about Steve? Can you help us out?" People seem to think if you're successful, then you have some secret. The fact is you've just managed to work your life a certain way. But in this case, you know it was Chuck, the guy who graduated from law school when he was 22 and really aced his life. And he was the one who was always bailing Jimmy out. He was the one who gets Jimmy the job in the mail room. He's the guy who kept trying to put this irresponsible life back on track. And there may have been some sort of resentment, but now things are changed. Now he's the weak one and he has to count on Jimmy for his basics, as you will see as the show unfolds. That kind of reversal is painful and hopefully kind of amusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Breaking Bad references (so far), some lame, some decent.

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/v/TVNews/betterCallSaul63

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think you're own on this.

I thought it was a great piece that really worked.

What something new would you come up with?

I don't know, I'm not a cinematogragher.

Maybe I am alone in this, though I was reading an AV Club write up on the second episode today where pretty much the same point was raised.

It just feels a bit overused at this stage. The public defender bit went on a too long also, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

the_monkey wrote: »
    You have just reminded me of another scene in The Sopranos when an old (70's) woman does it for Tony S .... shudders ...

Oh my gawd, shtop will ya! Cringeworthy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

wasn't he fired as a cop and he's just doing a crappy job

Thats what I thought...

He could be doing anything there, scoping out a new 'job', gathering intel, lying low... Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Keyzer wrote: »
    Thats what I thought...

He could be doing anything there, scoping out a new 'job', gathering intel, lying low... Who knows.

Possible he's already working for
    Gus
    at this stage at a lower-level.
    Remember Mike never really worked for Saul. He was his contact to Gus and occasional enforcer, but only with Gus's say so.

Side note: Maybe we need "Possible BB Spoilers" added to the title as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Loving the promotion they are doing for the series. This is down the street from me. "Your one night stand was ugly? Sue the brewery"

gDV6cRA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Surprised to learn there's no German equivalent of "one night stand". Is it a uniquely anglophone concept?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Has episode 3 aired ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

the_monkey wrote: »
    Has episode 3 aired ?

Airs tonight in the states. Should be available here in the morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

IvaBigWun wrote:
    I loved how on the ball they were with Saul's phone. This first season is set in 2001 I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Custardpi wrote: »
    Surprised to learn there's no German equivalent of "one night stand". Is it a uniquely anglophone concept?

I could be wrong, but I think its because Germans much like Penguins mate for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

Really enjoyed episode 2. The scenes in the house with Tuco, his 'Apolita' and Saul were great. Reminded me of some kind of dark comic stage play. It was really well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Found episode 1 to be quite slow but episode 2 was superb IMO. So far, so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Moving along nicely. Nice to see Jimmy and Mike bonding over an armbreaker and a mutual dislike of dim cops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Things starting to heat up in episode 3, I like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Episode 3 was fantastic from start to finish.

my favorite line was "its crazy, its ripleys" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Another great episode! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

That was great :)

Enjoying it even more than I was hoping/expecting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

"Heeeeeeere's Johnny!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

He's Nacho guy buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Great episode and enjoying this show alot!
    This might be a bit soon but how many seasons can they stretch out of this since its a prequel,Im thinking 3 myself.
    Saul is such a great character!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

The "Heres Johnny" Line had me in stitches for a good five minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭bren2001

Great episode and enjoying this show alot!
    This might be a bit soon but how many seasons can they stretch out of this since its a prequel,Im thinking 3 myself.
    Saul is such a great character!

It is not soley a prequel. It will go during and post BB. Saying that, I couldn't see more than 4 or 5 at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is this show that deserving of the reviews it getting, Its only 2 episodes in way to early to judge it really. But if it wasn't a spin off of BB would it get such a response?

It will be interesting to see how Jimmy breaks bad and becomes the amoral saul, could be his brothers death and subsequently loosing all he's worked for to the other lawyer dicks. Incidemtly how did we find out about them being brothers must have missed that.

Jimmy (aka Saul) and Chuck both refer to "Mom" in the opening sequence. Also Jimmy says "OK I get that I have been the worst brother ever."

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,774 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Does that short bit of a tune after the initial opening sequence count as a "theme tune" I am a bit disappointed by it barely gives you time to get to your seat!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

http://i.imgur.com/PvkMgdK.gif

Mod Edit: maaaaaaaassive animated GIF changed to link. Mobile users beware. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Dave Porter does the music to this too, which I was Happy to see. His stuff on BB was excellent.... All the same kinda of vibes come from the music, tis great.

I actually use Hank and Marie's ringtone for my phone too, heh... AMC released it on their site years ago.

Still have it if anyones wants it.

Advertisement