Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

One thing I missed - how does Hector go from imposing himself on Frings distribution network, to being upset that everything gets moved thru fring. Isnt that what he first intended?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

At the risk of appearing dense who are they referring to? And while I'm at it what does "honed the stakes" mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Not sure I get what he's saying, Chuck is Skylar, and Kim is Jessie? Massive reach there if that's who he means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Not sure I get what he's saying, Chuck is Skylar, and Kim is Jessie? Massive reach there if that's who he means.

Absolute nonsense.

Some guy trying to appear clever and bringing up gender when it's irrelevant. People see what they think is a clever opinion and that's how he gets all dem retweetz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yeah, don't really see those similarities either

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense.

Some guy trying to appear clever and bringing up gender when it's irrelevant. People see what they think is a clever opinion and that's how he gets all dem retweetz.

shyte like this always pops up. it's like the scene in BB where walter took off the watch in the phone box. people were clambering looking for a meaning to it, when all it was was that the final scenes were already shot, and he forgot to put his watch on for those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Chuck (for me) decided to kill himself but make it look like an accident, hence the kicking/spasm motions to make it look like he feel asleep in the chair whilst the fire burned around him.

I think the method he chose is also designed to give Jimmy one last hit. He told Jimmy he continually hurts other people without realizing it and he's using the method that was suggested by Jimmy in the court case (picture of the oil lamp on papers) to end it. Now Jimmy will have to live with the fact that he knew what Chuck was doing was dangerous, even pointed it out but didn't do anything about it, now his brother is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I never got the hate for Skylar, I found she was a good character, behaved like anyone would in her situation and played the character well.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I never got the hate for Skylar, I found she was a good character, behaved like anyone would in her situation and played the character well.

She suffered from the worst affliction a TV character could have - she was minus craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

She suffered from the worst affliction a TV character could have - she was minus craic.

A reflection of real life, as I said, for someone in her situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maybe something that people didn't like was that Skylar indulged and gave out about Walts behaviour, Kym is in the indulging part, we're wondering why she's not giving out. (eg manipulating the old ladies)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Because she's a lawyer at the end of the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

She's like the Lisa Simpson of the show, totally essential but strange amount of hate. Fantastic actress and loved the character and her arc myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ThisRegard wrote: »

Think it came from the first few seasons were she was just complaining and demanding.

The writers seem to sense the hate for her and changed her chraracter for the last few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

fxotoole wrote: »
    This could explain Nacho's absence from BB
    Overall, it's definitely getting better season by season for me, and I really like Nacho (though I assume he's going to come to a bad end pretty soon). One question on Nacho - and apologies if this has already been asked - is the actor wearing eyeliner? I'm just curious
    Some people reckon Nacho was mentioned in BB

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Nacho_Varga
    Trivia
    There might be a reference to this character in Saul's initial appearance on Breaking Bad. When Saul is held at gunpoint by Walt and Jesse, Saul (mistakenly thinking that people sent by a person named Lalo are holding him at gunpoint) says "it wasn't me, it was Ignacio."
    Since the name Nacho is short for Ignacio, it might be possible Saul talks about the same person. Peter Gould has hinted this is the same person. [1]
    Ignacio drives a 1992 Chevrolet Chevy Van ("Mijo" - "Klick").
    Nacho never meets Kim Wexler, Howard Hamlin and Chuck McGill.
    Finally, Michael Mando is a cast regular but only wound up being in four of the 10 episodes, and really briefly in one of those. Did you initially have bigger plans for Nacho this year, or was it a case of wanting to have the actor under contract because you knew you would need him later?

Peter Gould: Both things are true. This is part and parcel with what I was talking about earlier. We thought Jimmy would become Saul way faster. We pictured that he would be doing business with Nacho much earlier in the season. What we found was Jimmy wasn’t ready. It was tough on us, because we love Michael and love what he did with Nacho. He brings such an intelligence and focus to Nacho in season 1. I really don’t think you can take your eyes off him. But having said that, we definitely have big plans for Nacho.

Well, we know his name is Ignacio, and that’s a name Saul drops in his very first appearance in this universe.

Peter Gould: You’re so right. We’ve laid down our marker that these guys are going to have more to do with each other.
    Good question

Late 50's it says here:

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Chuck_McGill

And according to this Jimmy is 41 in better call saul:

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Saul_Goodman
    el diablo wrote: »
    So Jimmy's in his mid to late thirties in BCS? :o
    No he was saying 41 in BCS, so mid to late 40s in BB.

That link above also has Chuck marked as deceased. I think on that site other characters were marked as "assumed dead" or some similar phrase.

There is an interview with McKean here talking about the suicide etc, but I would have thought those fan sites would only ever reference stuff in the actual program and so not have a blunt "deceased"

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/20/better-call-saul-season-3-finale-michael-mckean-chuck-fire/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

maybe something that people didn't like was the Skylar indulged and gave out about Walts behaviour, Kym is out the indulging part, we're wondering why she not giving out. (eg manipulating the old ladies)

What's "giving out"? :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Lirange

SuperS54 wrote: »
    I think the method he chose is also designed to give Jimmy one last hit. He told Jimmy he continually hurts other people without realizing it and he's using the method that was suggested by Jimmy in the court case (picture of the oil lamp on papers) to end it. Now Jimmy will have to live with the fact that he knew what Chuck was doing was dangerous, even pointed it out but didn't do anything about it, now his brother is dead.

If that was Chuck's plan then there is one glaring problem with it. He released Jimmy from his regrets. What did Jimmy do the very last time he saw Chuck? He reached out to him. How often do you think that happens when somebody suddenly dies? Particularly the last meeting between two relations that have a corrosive, fractured, and combustible relationship? That the last memory and interaction that Jimmy had with his brother was him reaching out and attempting to accept some of the blame is significant. The fig leaf was chewed up and spit back at Jimmy. Essentially the mooring line was severed. Jimmy can sail on.

The illustration on the court papers was certainly foreshadowing. But it's unlikely it has much import or impact beyond that. It's supposition that this could have potentially given the idea to Chuck. We don't know. But I believe Chuck's suicide was for Chuck. Not to strike at Jimmy. For once. He suffered a breakdown. The frenzied demolition job preceding his death showed this and will be obvious to those investigating the scene despite the fire. His petty vendetta against Jimmy gave him purpose. HHM gave him purpose. He no longer had either. And speaking of foreshadowing the long hesitant pause before Jimmy left Chuck's house was quite poignant. I grew weary of the brothers feud lately which seemed a bit drawn out at times but the ending was well done.

el diablo wrote: »
    What's "giving out"? :confused:
    complaining, not a phrase used in America?

Grayditch wrote: »
    Because she's a lawyer at the end of the day :)

she seems to be having been thinking all day about what type of lawyer she is, yet later so nonchalantly asks about Jimmy turning friends against each other for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

complaining, not a phrase used in America?

Been a long time since I've heard that phrase. :p No, it's definitely only used in Ireland...

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

decent enough ending,Jimmy is too
    irritating an actor for me

the bingo stuff is rubbish

if they developed the drug story and got Mike more involved the show would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

if they developed the drug story and got Mike more involved the show would be better

Most people seem to agree with the Mike bit.
    I have yet to hear anyone complain about the character.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

How can you not love Mike?

Problem is, on a character-based show, his character is pretty rounded out by now. We know his motivation, we know why he's that way, we've seen his back story, and we know how it ends. There's nowhere else for him to go really now that he's in bed with Fring, all we can hope for is some cool capers along the way (which is another thing some people say they find irritating, but I love personally). As Jimmy becomes Saul and starts working with Gus himself - presumably through Mike - I'm hoping we see the pair of them a lot more involved together and see where annoyance becomes the unvarnished contempt Mike has for him when we first see them together on BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

I love the character Mike

But I feel that the ageing of Jonathon Banks may become an issue.

He is around 70 now and he was around 60 when he first appeared in BB

We now have a timeline in BCS that it is 2003 and BB started in 2008 (well... 2009 as Saul wasn't in it till then).

That leaves (potentially) 5 more years.

Banks will be in his mid-seventy's playing someone in their late 50's / early 60's

A push too far perhaps....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I'd say the next one will have to skip forward a good bit.
    Chuck dead and Kim gone.
    Saul told Kim in the last episode that he was going to have to find a new area to practice as his bridges were burned with the old folks. But a 5 year gap is a lot to fill!
    There seems like there's only 1 more season in it...

Unless they do a BCS sequel to BB!... I've noticed they stopped doing the flash forwards to him working in the crispy creme shop.

I don't think anyone has an appetite for a 'Yo Science Bitch' prequel.
    Anyone any thoughts what's next for the writers after Season 4! If there is one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

So, you want more BB, and less BCS?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

ads20101 wrote: »
    I love the character Mike

But I feel that the ageing of Jonathon Banks may become an issue.

He is around 70 now and he was around 60 when he first appeared in BB

We now have a timeline in BCS that it is 2003 and BB started in 2008 (well... 2009 as Saul wasn't in it till then).

That leaves (potentially) 5 more years.

Banks will be in his mid-seventy's playing someone in their late 50's / early 60's

A push too far perhaps....

Unless he get's kidnapped or 'sent away' for a few season's years.
    It could end up a bit silly like an aging Roger Moore been James Bond.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They have changed Mikes entry on this site.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Mike_Ehrmantraut

Late 60s (Breaking Bad)

At one time it said 50's in BB then early 60's

Only a few characters ages are confirmed in BB

post from march 2016
    rubadub wrote: »
    Jonathan Banks (Mike) is 69 now in real life. This BB site says Mike is early 60s when BB finished.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Mike_Ehrmantraut

So the character should be about 55 in BCS.

Here is Banks around that age in the epic classic "Crocodile Dundee 3, in Los Angeles", in the brown leather jacket.

-and yes, I am a little obsessed with ages and years, I really wish they would show the year in these programs, or have official sites you could check if you wished.

2001 in Dundee below
    500px-Dundeeinloseangeles32.jpg

BCS season 1 below
    Jonathan-Banks-in-Better-Call-Saul-Season-1-Episode-6.jpg

Advertisement