Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I've noticed they stopped doing the flash forwards to him working in the crispy creme shop.

Cinnabon isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Unless they do a BCS sequel to BB!... I've noticed they stopped doing the flash forwards to him working in the crispy creme shop.

They only do the flash forwards in the first episode of each season.

In the first episode of season 3 they showed a flash forward to Gene working in Cinnabon He sees a shoplifter running from the police and he tells them where he is hiding. He then tells the shoplifter to say nothing and get a lawyer. He then returns to work and collapses on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    They only do the flash forwards in the first episode of each season.

In the first episode of season 3 they showed a flash forward to Gene working in Cinnabon He sees a shoplifter running from the police and he tells them where he is hiding. He then tells the shoplifter to say nothing and get a lawyer. He then returns to work and collapses on the floor.

Oh thanks, It seemed like there were more.

Just afte googling the flash forwards I found a possibility of where the show could go post Season 4 of BCS... i.e. a 'post BB' series.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1645790/whats-up-with-better-call-sauls-flash-forwards-according-to-vince-gilligan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Started a rewatch of BB after the BSC season finished up.

The difference is quite striking, in some way the BB story rattles along at a good pace but then on the other hand the family drama stuff can be a grind.

It's two completly different stories with two very different lead characters.

It'll be interesting when the dust has settled many years from now to see how the two shows stack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

steve_r wrote: »
    Started a rewatch of BB after the BSC season finished up.

The difference is quite striking, in some way the BB story rattles along at a good pace but then on the other hand the family drama stuff can be a grind.

It's two completly different stories with two very different lead characters.

It'll be interesting when the dust has settled many years from now to see how the two shows stack up.

I don't think BCS will ever be able to stack up to BB in the public's eyes. For a start, BB invented the subgenre it exists in (pretty much with itself and BCS) of Sopranos-style dramas with a Pulp Fiction edge for catchy/iconic lines and moments but with a fanboy's eye for detail and depth. The heights of BB haven't been even approached by BCS and they haven't come close to the swaggering confidence of being able to do a filler episode like 'The Fly' and make it iconic in its own way.

That's not a criticism. I love BCS. But I think when it's done we'll judge it more along the lines of "Is this the greatest spin-off ever?" or "Did that show do the impossible and somehow live up to Breaking Bad's giant shadow?" And I think on those lines it'll be remembered very favourably. A small, cult section of the fanbase will appreciate it for the sprawling, detailed show that stood out on its own merit. You'll inevitably get the hipster view when it ends that it was 'better' than BB and countless blogs and YouTube reviews detailing why, but that'll fade with time. It'll be remembered very fondly though when finished.

As for long term consequences, I think it's going to set up Vince Gilligan et al to pretty much make whatever they like for whoever they like in future. Now whether they'll turn out more like David Simon, making semi-indulgent passion projects that don't gain mass appeal, or like Damon Lindelof in somehow bettering their initial hit with ambitious, complex projects that would've never been considered otherwise, only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

LFCFan wrote: »
    Cinnabon isn't it?

Cinnabon correct.
    Flash forwards only happen in first episode of each new season so we have a bit of a cliffhanger as to what happened after he collapses in episode one this season. All to be revealed episode one next season

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭LandoCalrissian

I watched the last few episodes together and to be honest my best description of how I feel is - underwhelmed

Kinda lost interest in the show now which is a shame as I loved the character of Saul but for me the show just hasn't gathered any momentum at all and the story lines are too disjointed

I literally couldn't care less about any of the characters they have been developing over 3 seasons

Another show that I'll be shelving - perhaps BB set the bar too high?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

That was one hell of season of TV. Bravo is all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

I watched the last few episodes together and to be honest my best description of how I feel is - underwhelmed

Kinda lost interest in the show now which is a shame as I loved the character of Saul but for me the show just hasn't gathered any momentum at all and the story lines are too disjointed

I literally couldn't care less about any of the characters they have been developing over 3 seasons

Agree to an extent. It was underwhelming but not to the extent that I'd stop watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I suppose you need drug deals going wrong, families in peril, cold blood murders. You got that with Gustavo a bit, but you'll need Walter White to create havoc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

No surprise but AMC have renewed Better Call Saul for it's fourth season.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/amc-renews-better-call-saul-for-season-4-1202479682/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I'd give it 7/10

good but no cigar

I really feel this show is just not a bingewatch show. I love watching week by week, and having time to digest what I watched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Honestly, as much as I love it, I do think it's being milked(albeit very well) by AMC and Netflix. Did any of us really think we'd get 5 seasons out of this at the outset?

Don't get me wrong, it's nowhere near Walking Dead milkingness, but I think we could have gotten 3 absolutely fantastic seasons as opposed to 5 very good ones.

It's borderline though. Given the choice I'd probably take the 5 very good seasons over the 3 legendary ones! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,781 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Honestly, as much as I love it, I do think it's being milked(albeit very well) by AMC and Netflix. Did any of us really think we'd get 5 seasons out of this at the outset?

Don't get me wrong, it's nowhere near Walking Dead milkingness, but I think we could have gotten 3 absolutely fantastic seasons as opposed to 5 very good ones.

It's borderline though. Given the choice I'd probably take the 5 very good seasons over the 3 legendary ones! :D

I agree there is a fine line between creating nuances, subtleties or dragging it out.

I enjoyed season 3 more then season 2 all the same.
    I still think the second last episode of this season was the best of the whole series.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I feel kind of the same. It's still a great show but at the outset I wouldn't have thought it would take us 30 episodes for Jimmy to get to... well, still miles off the Saul we know from BB.

Not complaining, but I would like the pace to pick up a bit. Also, the thing I most look forward to each season is the measly flash-forwards to Jimmy's miserable life at Cinnabon. I really hope these are going somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Oh thanks, It seemed like there were more.

Just afte googling the flash forwards I found a possibility of where the show could go post Season 4 of BCS... i.e. a 'post BB' series.
    http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1645790/whats-up-with-better-call-sauls-flash-forwards-according-to-vince-gilligan

Genuinely.

Fantastic possibilities!! IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

I really feel this show is just not a bingewatch show. I love watching week by week, and having time to digest what I watched.

Watched the last 3 episodes myself last night. You're right, its not bingeworthy at all. Needs to be digested at length.

That scene where Kim took the wood to free her stuck car out in the oilfields. Was that where Tod and his uncles took out the other drug crew in BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Watched the last 3 episodes myself last night. You're right, its not bingeworthy at all. Needs to be digested at length
    I think it's definitely a bingewatch show. I watched the latest season in two days and loved it. I would've hated to watch it week to week.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think it's definitely a bingewatch show. I watched the latest season in two days and loved it. I would've hated to watch it week to week.

I've the opposite, if I was to bingewatch it I'd probably end up fast forwarding pieces of it and missing something, for example the replacement drug scene would probably have led to me skipping past Chuck going mad at the end and missing a very very very important piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Clareman wrote: »
    They are really dragging it out now in my opinion, 52 minutes that could easily have been halved.
    For me montages like that are annoying, there was a 1.15 minutes given to him making the pills, that's 4% the episode given over to a guy crushing some Ibuprofen, using a small spoon to fill a cap, putting a cap on it and putting a little spray on it, I'm all for building suspense and the scene in the cafe counting the money was great but it feels like it's just being done to make it look artey at this stage.
    I've the opposite, if I was to bingewatch it I'd probably end up fast forwarding pieces of it and missing something, for example the replacement drug scene would probably have led to me skipping past Chuck going mad at the end and missing a very very very important piece.

Sound like watching BCS is a chore for you. I suggest that you don't watch Season 4. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

el diablo wrote: »
    Sound like watching BCS is a chore for you. I suggest that you don't watch Season 4. ;)

I don't know if I'd call it a chore but there are parts of it that annoy me alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Don't think I've ever fast forwarded a show, whether it's binging or weekly, or loving or hating it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Unearthly wrote: »
    Don't think I've ever fast forwarded a show, whether it's binging or weekly, or loving or hating it

I skipped about 6 episodes of the Walking Dead's most recent season and I don't think I missed much.

I like to watch BCS week to week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I skipped about 6 episodes of the Walking Dead's most recent season and I don't think I missed much.
    Sadly you missed nothing. It was muck. :(

Got through the 3 seasons in a week or so, loving it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So for all you Kim fans, Vince Gilligan says if there was another BB spin-off, he'd want it to star Jimmy's love interest

From : http://screenrant.com/better-call-saul-kim-wexler-spinoff/
    “I gotta tell you, Kim Wexler. She can be hilariously funny, she can be absolutely moving. She can do anything, she just has this astounding range. Personally, as one of the first two fans of Better Call Saul, I want to know more about Kim, I want to see and learn more about her. If we were to do another spin-off it would be the Kim Wexler show.”

Personally... Meh! I'd rather a Mike spin-off but given the actor's age that's probably unrealistic anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Mike would be a good one but honestly I'd love to see Gustavo Fring and his rise from Chile to fried chicken drug kingpin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,627 ✭✭✭bren2001

Mike would be a good one but honestly I'd love to see Gustavo Fring and his rise from Chile to fried chicken drug kingpin.

That's what we all want to see!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep that would be well worth seeing too :)

I think Gilligan could be overestimating the draw a Kim show would have - as he arguably did with Jimmy (which is why Mike pretty much carried season 2 in my opinion, and Mike/Hector/Gus being the main pull of season 3).

Advertisement