Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Penn wrote: »

In the show (and Breaking Bad), Madrigal is a global company working in many different industries and with numerous branches worldwide. Everyone would know everyone in their own departments and general area (eg. warehouse staff might recognise office staff even if they don't personally know them), but it wouldn't be outside of the norm for someone they don't know or recognise to be walking around the warehouse, as it'd be assumed they passed the required security clearances and had a reason to be there.

If Madrigal had a lot of passing trade in terms of staff from other branches it would make sense alright. I wound up fixing a printer in a hospital ward in the early hours of the morning because I was still wearing my office clothes/ID badge and a nurse assumed I was their IT support. :confused:

I'm gonna have to watch that episode back, it just kinda rolled past me without really making an impression

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

I don't fully understand what happened at the end. Jimmy blatantly changed his mood when Howard confesses his sins. Was his entire mourning an act? Why reveal the act to those two? This could have been an intentional kick in the teeth to Howard, but to Kim too? Doesn't make sense to me.

I think what we saw in that episode was the final nail in the coffin of Jimmy's morality, His silence through out the whole episode was him trying to hold onto what ever tiny bit of goodness existed within him, He lost.

Not coming clean about his part in the insurance issue, compounding Howard's guilt with the cross to bear comment, and his casual offer of coffee show us that any spec of goodness he had is completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Cold-hearted by Jimmy at the end there but maybe its a get back at all the stuff Howard threw at him in the previous seasons. Said it before but Howard is the moral compass of the show, genuinely feels distraught at Chuck's death and his perceived part in it. Jimmy sees a way out that absolves him of the blame and allows someone else be the fall guy and he takes it. He has nothing to gain from coming clean about the insurance.
    Loved the black and white 'present' scene. So much tension in that taxi journey. Fantastic direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Cold-hearted by Jimmy at the end there but maybe its a get back at all the stuff Howard threw at him in the previous seasons. Said it before but Howard is the moral compass of the show, genuinely feels distraught at Chuck's death and his perceived part in it. Jimmy sees a way out that absolves him of the blame and allows someone else be the fall guy and he takes it. He has nothing to gain from coming clean about the insurance.
    Loved the black and white 'present' scene. So much tension in that taxi journey. Fantastic direction.
    Disagree it was always Chuck driving Howard and mocking Jimmy for every bit he has done, watched all seasons and id say Howard didn't like Jimmy but he was just that way with almost everyone, Chuck on the other hand blamed Jimmy for everything and was always the one to stick it to him.Think that chuck betrayed him and told how he hated him and all in the last court episode, where jimmy parted ways for good any feelings for him.

that aside im still off on the opening scene guy seemed way to serious and cold look on his face wasnt fear or guessing that stop and just idling seems interesting mind bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is probably a few days too late.
    I found this recap of seasons 1-3 by members of the cast (aka: Kim, Jimmy, Nacho, Gus, Howard)

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

This is probably a few days too late.
    I found this recap of seasons 1-3 by members of the cast (aka: Kim, Jimmy, Nacho, Gus, Howard)

That's a brilliant resume,saves me the trouble of watching back the three seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Some deeper thoughts since the watch:

I maybe completely overanalysing this but the goldfish scene really jumps out at me. It seems like a very obvious and deliberate flicking of the switch, insofar as it represents a goldfish's memory in that 3 seconds later it's completely forgotten and now Jimmy is a new man having completely erased the memory of his own part in Chuck's demise. He's "forgotten" what's just happened and is moving on to the next thing....that next thing being Saul. The look Kim gives him suggests she doesn't like this new man at all.

I don't get the hate for the Mike in the warehouse scene - seems entirely plausible to me having spent a lot of time in the US with work most people are afraid, don't care, or in some cases too stupid to ask questions in a situation like that. Mike looks the part (certainly from an age perspective) and carries himself in a manner that suggests authority. Plus the scale of the operation is such that you couldn't know everybody (I've been in some warehouses that would make IKEA look like a boxroom, the carts suggest this was a large warehouse). Really sets up Mike's deeper immersion into Madrigal nicely.

The tension in the opening scene and the Nacho/Gus/Cartel scenes were brilliantly delivered. We're seeing the beginning of the end for Nacho (sadly) as Gus definitely knows something is up, and Nacho certainly suspects Gus knows.
    The throwing the pills and the canister into the river was a bit daft though when it could have been disposed of privately.

I loved it as an episode, thought it really came back with a bang - and genuinely think it's been one of the finest season debuts of any tv series ever. You could say that very little happened, but for me so many seeds were sown it was a stunning piece of storytelling.

I know it was intended to be a dark moment for Jimmy, maybe a milestone on his way to 'Saul', but I laughed at his 'Look at her go' comment and the complete change in him at the end.

The whole episode you're thinking that Jimmy is maybe showing some remorse over how things finished with Chuck.

Nope, he just thought the suicide was his fault and that's what was wrong with him. Howard lifted that weight completely off him at the end, as Jimmy said himself "Well Howard, that's your cross to bear".

Then he's up feeding the fish, making coffee, whistling, all with a spring in his step. :D

Solid opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Anyone know why Season 4 is not showing up on my Netflix account? All I'm seeing is the first three seasons.. :confused:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

el diablo wrote: »
    Anyone know why Season 4 is not showing up on my Netflix account? All I'm seeing is the first three seasons.. :confused:

Are you trying to view in a different country? It's not on the US Netflix.

Are you trying to view in a different country? It's not on the US Netflix.

I'm in Canada and I don't see it on Canadian or Irish (using a VPN) Netflix...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Its definitely on the Irish one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Try under 'continue watching'
    Or search for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,422 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I know it was intended to be a dark moment for Jimmy, maybe a milestone on his way to 'Saul', but I laughed at his 'Look at her go' comment and the complete change in him at the end.

The whole episode you're thinking that Jimmy is maybe showing some remorse over how things finished with Chuck.

Nope, he just thought the suicide was his fault and that's what was wrong with him. Howard lifted that weight completely off him at the end, as Jimmy said himself "Well Howard, that's your cross to bear".

Then he's up feeding the fish, making coffee, whistling, all with a spring in his step. :D

Solid opener.
    I was more confused about why he was so sad about Chuck being dead, I know he was his brother and all, but chuck was an absolute D1ck to him his whole life and screwed him every chance he got.

Jimmy did do some things to deserve it, but he also took care of him for years while he was sick and wanted to be like him.
    When Howard was reading the obituary to Jimmy over the phone he walked away, it seemed to me that he realised that there was no point in trying to live up to that standard and he would need to make his own way using his own talents

I think the final scene was Jimmy putting that behind him, he no longer has to be like his over achieving brother

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Madrigal bit was slightly unbeliveable Mike was able to walk around.
    And not one person asked who he was and still managed to get people to take orders!
    Had I not worked in the places I have I might also have thought it unbelieveable.

I was giggling when he picked up the clipboard as I have discussed this with people before, its a licence to do anything.

In one job I was in I had to go around secure areas in the entire building detailing machines, only 1 person questioned me, and not even that much, I could have spoofed my way in still. If you walk into a place looking like you should be there, shirt & tie & clipboard you get a free pass.

We get safety inspectors come in who do get people to in a way "take orders" with no question at all. As Mike is older they are also less likely to question, they could have had someone ask who he was to give the chance for him to give a good reply. He had the ID badge, people would glance for that.

In college we had a load of PCs nicked, lads supposedly just drove up in a van, had high viz on and wheely trolleys and just looked the part.

In other places we had new receptionists all the time an if you confidently walked in and they were on the phone you could just saunter in anywhere.

The most unbelievable bit for me was the receptionist typing in a o instead of zero. Some random person OK, but she is likely putting in numbers all day. Though it did make for a great bit of suspense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

So true. There is a reddit subreddit called "Act Like You Belong" which has stories and videos about people doing absolutely crazy stuff and getting away with it. One lad ended up in the ring during Anthony Joshua's last fight. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

rubadub wrote:
    The most unbelievable bit for me was the receptionist typing in a o instead of zero. Some random person OK, but she is likely putting in numbers all day. Though it did make for a great bit of suspense.

It was the way Jimmy gave her the number, he said oh oh instead of zero zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Some interesting comments on reddit.
    Jimmy was sad that he never got to really stick it to Chuck.

Then he found out Chuck killed himself because of the insurance.

Jimmy finally got the last laugh.
    This is how I saw it. Especially with the whistling. Jimmy was happy that he was the catalyst for Chuck killing himself, and Howard feeling like it's his fault was just the cherry on his sundae.
    Kevwoody wrote: »
    It was the way Jimmy gave her the number, he said oh oh instead of zero zero.
    I deal with typing in numbers a lot, most do say oh instead of zero. I know what they mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

rubadub wrote:
    I deal with typing in numbers a lot, most do say oh instead of zero. I know what they mean.

Obviously.

I'm just saying it was their way of explaining her mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

rubadub wrote: »

In fairness, I do the same thing. o is right below 0 on the keyboard. I definitely do it at least every second day, and I enter a lot of numbers throughout the day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ineptitude of hopsital clerical staff ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Penn wrote: »
    In fairness, I do the same thing. o is right below 0 on the keyboard. I definitely do it at least every second day, and I enter a lot of numbers throughout the day too.

On a lot of serial numbers I deal with, there is sometimes a zero and sometimes an o.
    I suspect she typed it from a form initially and Jimmy saying "oh" might have led her to repeat the mistake.
    As a side note, Americans do say "oh" instead of "zero"

Though I admit that I'm not familiar with US social security numbers.
    But don't forget, this is not real life, but some scriptwriter trying to tie plot points together.

Try under 'continue watching'
    Or search for it!

Still not showing. I think I possibly had my VPN set to the US when I originally signed up for Netflix. :o

rubadub wrote: »
    I thought he might have thought Howard was blaming him in a sneaky way, almost sarcastically. Howard was being overly adamant that it was absolutely nothing to with the trial.

Then he talks about the insurance rise which of course was a direct result of the trial and Jimmy showing him up (or at least partly).

So to me it did seem Howard came in and was sneakily saying Jimmy caused him to top himself, and I think Jimmy knew this was sort of making fun of Howard and his crocodile tears.

I think Howard has been the most solid good guy in the series.
    He even took the heat for Chuck and pretended it was him who didn't want Jimmy in HHM.
    They set him up to be a bit of a slimeball, but in the end he has been nothing but decent.

Personally, I am a bit perturbed at Jimmy's good mood following his brother's death.
    I always thought that Saul Goodman was amoral and a massive a shyster, but he was never really a baddie.

Kirby wrote: »
    So true. There is a reddit subreddit called "Act Like You Belong" which has stories and videos about people doing absolutely crazy stuff and getting away with it. One lad ended up in the ring during Anthony Joshua's last fight. :P

Not as crazy as that, but I used to fix printers for a living.
    Walk in anywhere with a briefcase and look like you know where you're going and nobody will bat an eyelid.
    Just another visitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Re Howard - yes he was the bad guy for Chuck in the case of Jimmy. But Howard was a dick to Kim for a lot of the time, putting her in document review, giving someone else Masa Verde after it came in etc. You could argue that some of that was influenced by Chuck but I think Howard was well capable of mixing it.

Regarding the insurance, and Jimmy putting the blame on Howard, remember it was Jimmy who told the insurance company in the first place that Chuck was unwell i.e. Howard's row with Chuck over the premiums only happens because of Jimmy.

I think the whistling moment, is a step on the road to Saul. He leaves Howard with the guilt even though he knows there is more to the story than Howard knows.

Just did a rewatch of the full series over the past few weeks. The Howard arc is one of the many really great and subtle character developments done in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

steve_r wrote: »
    Re Howard -
    Just did a rewatch of the full series over the past few weeks. The Howard arc is one of the many really great and subtle character developments done in the series.

I like the Howard mannerisms I remember when he climbed over Chucks garden and was fixing his suit and shoes.
    You are right about Howard though there is a streak to him at times.

When Kim paid Howard back her loan for law school, Howard seemed upset that he would not have something over her any more.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Anyone else think that the two guys having the Ali vs. Bruce Lee convo were a corporate version of Badger and Skinny Pete

I actually thought one of them would be driving the taxi ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

VPNs no longer work, Netflix content is based on your billing info.

Advertisement