Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,119 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Uncle Jack!!

XQhHH7k.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunno if I need spoilers but.
    thought I remembered the granny having similar porcelain statue things after seeing him check out the value, though I certainly did not cop it when he first saw them.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummel_figurines#In_popular_culture

On the Breaking Bad spin-off Better Call Saul, an elderly lady drawing up her will calls on Saul's excellent memory when it comes to distributing her Hummel collection.

Another odd thing is that episode was originally called Jello, which was in line with all the other episodes in S1, which ended in O, but was renamed
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_Shepherd_Boy

but turns out it is not that related to the figurine -though I imagine they could have come up with another name ending in O

-The episode was originally titled "Jello"[2] as the showrunners intended each episode title to end in the letter "o" but were unable to obtain permission to use the trademarked gelatin brand name "Jell-O"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I love the oblique breaking bad reference that Gus said about Hector "I decide when he dies no one else!"

The hospital scene with the twins was gas, as was Gus's handling of Lydia.
    The printer's thing seem like Jimmy wanting to run a long game con (with mike to get the toy things from the printer shop) like his 'Slippin' Jimmy' days, because he gets a kick out if it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So..

Did the guy "swabbing??" Don at the start tip Gus off that he had been poisoned? Even if so, how'd gus finger Nacho?

Also, I was confused at Jimmy turning down the job offer, I wondered was it a genuine attempt until he'd seen the figurine, but he went back in to them to plead for the job having already found out about it? I wondered was it just his way of staying out of the house for Kim to work, I. E. No real interest in a real job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

noodler wrote: »
    So..

Did the guy "swabbing??" Don at the start tip Gus off that he had been poisoned? Even if so, how'd gus finger Nacho?

Also, I was confused at Jimmy turning down the job offer, I wondered was it a genuine attempt until he'd seen the figurine, but he went back in to them to plead for the job having already found out about it? I wondered was it just his way of staying out of the house for Kim to work, I. E. No real interest in a real job.

The guy at the start is the same doctor Jesse brings Gus and Mike to in Mexico towards the end of Season 4. He's Gus' doctor. I think Gus had already figured out Nacho was responsible and how (Victor watched Nacho throw away the pills at the end of the last episode). The doctor was just checking on Hector's condition for himself, because Gus trusts him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭munster87

Uncle Jack!!

XQhHH7k.png

Wow look at those tiny hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

Let all us Breaking Bad fanatics give praise to this show for keeping the magic alive!

Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

munster87 wrote: »
    Wow look at those tiny hands

Handy for printer jams.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Great episode. I repeat what I said after last week's show that the pace has definitely picked up now; 2 episodes in and already we're moving substantially faster than any point in Seasons 1-3. I'll throw the spoiler alerts on for those who haven't seen it yet.

Highlight was
    Kim unleashing on Howard. Though she's giving out about Howard's insensitive handling of his suggestion that Chuck committed suicide, it's for me more about Kim finally being able to confront Howard as an equal. It's also the first time we've really seen Howard grimace and be as uncomfortable as he looked in any scene to date. Great performances from Kim and Howard in this scene.

Also my thesis on
    Gus being furious at Nacho as he wanted to be the one who decides when and how Hector dies was proven correct just a few seconds into the show. When I was thinking about this more since last week, I was thinking of the Face Off Episode of Breaking Bad and Gus's "Nooooo!" was as much about the realisation this was being taken away from him as much as the realisation he too was about to die.

Gus also dialed it up a few notches in this episode; from his stern dismissal of Lydia's concerns, to the 'removal" of Nacho's colleague. Nacho's acting in this episode was excellent too, particularly his body language and facial expressions as he was feeling the noose tighten with gus, and his unease at Hector's "recovery". I'll be very sad to see him go - I actually thought for a while that he might come to an end in this episode as a "sh*t just got real" moment.

Looking forward to next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭beardo81

A really really excellent episode. Kim and Howard's scene was excellent, really powerful, and then what an ending.

I think we are in for the best season yet 😀

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    The guy at the start is the same doctor Jesse brings Gus and Mike to in Mexico towards the end of Season 4. He's Gus' doctor. I think Gus had already figured out Nacho was responsible and how (Victor watched Nacho throw away the pills at the end of the last episode). The doctor was just checking on Hector's condition for himself, because Gus trusts him.

I thought he did this (threw the pills away) when Gus wasn't watching?

I know it's not so important how he knows, just wondering if we are supposed to realise it specifically or gus just deux ex machina'd it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I was expecting Jimmy to interview with Gus for one of his potential part time jobs, the way he deconstructed the printer guys was sick, I really want to hear what's in that letter Chuck left it will totally be a **** you Jimmy you made me do this type thing or a script for City Slickers 3 the map to Chucks gold.

I know it's not so important how he knows, just wondering if we are supposed to realise it specifically or gus just deux ex machina'd it!

Nacho was followed and seen throwing them into a river

Nacho was followed and seen throwing them into a river

Completely forgot about that.

Still, must have been some detailed hi res camera your man had to see that they were pills from hundreds of yards away in the dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I'm not sure if Jimmy wanted the job, but it made him realise what he is capable of and he isn't gona settle for some sales job when he's good at something else. He's practicing his skills while keeping Kim easy.

Really good episode. I just love the way it's shot and it's silences during the scenes are great too.

Give Seehorn an award for the acting, she was really good in that Howard scene!

Still, must have been some detailed hi res camera your man had to see that they were pills from hundreds of yards away in the dark!

Yeah I agree. There is an element of "Gus is just that good, he hires the best" to it all. I'm happy to go along with that. Similar to how Mike is so good at what he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I took it that Gus had a hunch from the time Hector collapsed, due to Nacho looking a bit sheepish, and then had his hunch confirmed when he got the report from the John Hopkins consultant.

I had forgotten about the scene on the bridge which I just took at the time to show that they were being watched.

Last nights episode was great;

Jimmy's interview and the faux shocked face he made when the interviewer made reference to the fact that particular copier was used to print counterfeit money.

Kim giving Howard a dressing down.

The drug collection scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Jimmy never fails to see the opportunity in a situation the collectibles that the printer manager has dismissed as junk are worth thousands that eye for detail is needed in a scumbag lawyers arsenal.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

It probably doesn't matter if the pills where seen or not, the fact that he was there and dumping stuff in the river is probably enough. Someone 'innocent' wouldn't need to hide or get rid of anything.

I loved the printer job interview and then the sales pitch. He also beautifully avoided answering why he was no longer a lawyer.

I absolutely adored Mike scenes in the previous episode where he was checking the security out. Casually opening the donut box for the guy talking about boxing was hilarious.

This show is incredible.

EDIT: Uncle Jack with normal sized hands appearing was also great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Was that the first time we saw Kim and Jimmy 'get it on'...I can't remember them ever getting close before.

Their relationship always seemed a bit distant but maybe more true to real life than the usual TV relationships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

De Bhál wrote: »
    Was that the first time we saw Kim and Jimmy 'get it on'...I can't remember them ever getting close before.

Their relationship always seemed a bit distant but maybe more true to real life than the usual TV relationships.

Has anyone else tried to work out how Jimmy/Saul is gonna lose Kim along the way?
    I find their relationship and where it is going, fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Great episode, wow you don't mess with Gus - allthough I did find it weird that he was there, he;s supposed to be so cautious you'd think he'd stay away from a scene like that - then again it makes better TV.

Who is this uncle jack ?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Has anyone else tried to work out how Jimmy/Saul is gonna lose Kim along the way?

I've found that it's best not to try figure it out and just watch it unfold :)

Great episode, wow you don't mess with Gus - allthough I did find it weird that he was there, he;s supposed to be so cautious you'd think he'd stay away from a scene like that - then again it makes better TV.

Who is this uncle jack ?

The actor that played the head of the printer firm that interviewed Jimmy, he plays a role in the show It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia called Uncle Jack.

I thought he reaction to Howard's confession was the beginning of the end of them, but this episode went another direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    It probably doesn't matter if the pills where seen or not, the fact that he was there and dumping stuff in the river is probably enough. Someone 'innocent' wouldn't need to hide or get rid of anything.

To be fair though, he is a drug dealing criminal so its safe to assume he'd occasionally have need to dump some incriminating evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I thought he reaction to Howard's confession was the beginning of the end of them, but this episode went another direction.

Yeh, me too. I thought he had disgusted her. But Kim is proving to be quite a gal.

Maybe
    he will get caught stealing the figurines
    and that will be the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Great show. Still the best thing on TV.

Fucking hate Howard Hamlin. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

Tony EH wrote: »
    Great show. Still the best thing on TV.

Fucking hate Howard Hamlin. :mad:

I only see Buzz Lightyear

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

By chance I found a podcast on itunes today (came up as a "you might be interested in this") called "Better Call Saul Insider" and it seems to feature Vince Gilligan, Peter Gould, Tom Schnauz (Writer) and Robin Sweet (Producer). Not sure if they're on every week now but it's a weekly show after every episode. Haven't listened yet but I assume I'm not the only one who'd be interested in this.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/better-call-saul-insider-podcast/id966297954?mt=2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Does anyone else think Nacho's actor is a bit weak, can't really put my finger on it but seems overly timid or something every scene. Doesn't really fit the supposed character.

Show is amazing overall, only new series I'm following.

Advertisement