Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Nacho's actor is a bit weak, can't really put my finger on it but seems overly timid or something every scene. Doesn't really fit the supposed character.

Show is amazing overall, only new series I'm following.

Don't think so tbh.
    He's conflicted about what he's doing so maybe that's what's coming across.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Does anyone else think Nacho's actor is a bit weak, can't really put my finger on it but seems overly timid or something every scene. Doesn't really fit the supposed character.

No. No. No. No. No.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Given that Nacho's father is an honest hard working man, and is trying to get him to leave that life behind.

Breaking Bad
    After Fring's 'You're mine now' at the end of the last episode the poor lad is f*cked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

By chance I found a podcast on itunes today (came up as a "you might be interested in this") called "Better Call Saul Insider" and it seems to feature Vince Gilligan, Peter Gould, Tom Schnauz (Writer) and Robin Sweet (Producer). Not sure if they're on every week now but it's a weekly show after every episode. Haven't listened yet but I assume I'm not the only one who'd be interested in this.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/better-call-saul-insider-podcast/id966297954?mt=2

Yep on every week after the show. Gives great insight into the episode

• Registered Users Posts: 68,883 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I personally think that he is brilliant as a conflicted soul, caught up in ever deepening circles. The scenes with his father are brilliant in that respect, neither willing to back down or even express themselves fully. He does fear very well too. His realisation of the mess he was in in the last episode was very well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I personally think that he is brilliant as a conflicted soul, caught up in ever deepening circles. The scenes with his father are brilliant in that respect, neither willing to back down or even express themselves fully. He does fear very well too. His realisation of the mess he was in in the last episode was very well done.

Same. He’s not playing a straight out, emotionless psychopath. First time I ever encountered that actor, he actually was playing that role in a video game and he did it very well too. Probably still my favourite video game villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Lydia needs to shut up and give Mike his ID badge

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Given that Nacho's father is an honest hard working man, and is trying to get him to leave that life behind.

Breaking Bad
    After Fring's 'You're mine now' at the end of the last episode the poor lad is f*cked

BB spoiler ?
    What happened like that in BB?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

BB spoiler ?
    What happened like that in BB?

I think he means that people who did not see breaking bad would not know which characters would survive and which would not.
    I assume there is a growing band of them at this stage?
    Would be interesting to get thier take on watching BCS first and BB second.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Has anyone here not seen BB?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great to see Kim take the gloves off.

Remind me to make photocopier noises and reference Jaws 3D in my next job interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I really loved that episode.

1. Kim really really loves Jimmy. That scene on the couch with her watching him was done beautifully. They way she has his back against Howard and his brother. Its a deep selfless love.

2. Jimmy loves Kim. He is up early, hitting the road for jobs.

3. This episode was a turning point for me. He had a chance to do an honest job. He was admiring the figures. He was knowledgable and pushed hard for the job. His rant to them was his internal moral compass going off turning on them, calling them smucks. It took me a while to figure it out. He is dehumanising them so he can rip them off. Its their fault for being "mugs" that he can rob from.

4. He is now on the phone to Mike to rob them. It will be interesting to see what Mike does. He no longer needs the money. Will Jimmy try and do the job and bungle it or give the figurene to Kim as a gift and then she discovers its stolen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

1. Kim really really loves Jimmy. That scene on the couch with her watching him was done beautifully. They way she has his back against Howard and his brother. Its a deep selfless love.

While I like the fact that they are together, there is always some niggle in my head wondering what is really in it for her? He just doesn't seem like someone she would fall for. I don't doubt her motives at all - she is a thoroughly good person by all accounts but they just seem like a very odd couple. Not to say odd couples don't exist but there is something just off about the chemistry between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm not sure anyone really loves anyone in 'Better Call Saul'. Everyone has an angle. Maybe Kim does love Jimmy, but I'm not seeing it back in any terms that I recognise. And Jimmy is a grifter. He's a real scumbag. He may have a bit of charm and the gab in spades. But, he's a dirtbag.

In fact, there's not one person on the show that I would describe as a happy person. Everyone's life is pretty miserable and seemingly without much mirth.

The only one who I can see that's involved in anything approaching a loving relationship is Mike, his daughter-in-law and her kid, who Mike dotes on. But, even Mike spends most of his on screen time in pug faced misery.

Everyone's lives on the show are kind of horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

optogirl wrote: »

While I like the fact that they are together, there is always some niggle in my head wondering what is really in it for her? He just doesn't seem like someone she would fall for. I don't doubt her motives at all - she is a thoroughly good person by all accounts but they just seem like a very odd couple. Not to say odd couples don't exist but there is something just off about the chemistry between them.

There are only rare moments of intimacy between the pair which adds to the strange feeling. She feels a great sympathy for him which will soon leave her when she realises that he is morally corrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Damn! :eek:

Has anyone here not seen BB?

I have a neighbour who's never seen a single episode of either BB or BCS. Today he asked me which one should he start with..........and it was an interesting question. I told him to do BB first as intended; but maybe if BCS was fully completed and not someway through its as yet undetermined no. of episodes and the series complete it might have been BCS first and do the whole thing chronologically.

Just on the Jimmy and Kim thing....I think part of the problem is she's too good-looking for Jimmy and when we see them as a couple, it just doesn't add up. Throw in their career progression routes etc. and I think it makes it even less likely. We're preconditioned not to see a woman like her as being in love with Jimmy. If anything you'd think she'd be more of a match with Howard - good looking, successful etc. as the slimeball is.

Dare I say if they had picked a less attractive actress it would be a much more credible relationship? She's way out of Jimmy's league and he's punching way above his weight.

Also, I don't think anyone has suggested this and if I'm being honest even I myself think it's unlikely but instead of them breaking up and her moving on with her life elsewhere how about the possibility that she dies or is killed? Jimmy's eventually going to start to get involved with some "bad hombres" (copyright Donald Trump) so it's out there for me, albeit as a long shot.

Just on the Jimmy and Kim thing....I think part of the problem is she's too good-looking for Jimmy and when we see them as a couple, it just doesn't add up. Throw in their career progression routes etc. and I think it makes it even less likely. We're preconditioned not to see a woman like her as being in love with Jimmy. If anything you'd think she'd be more of a match with Howard - good looking, successful etc. as the slimeball is.

Dare I say if they had picked a less attractive actress it would be a much more credible relationship? She's way out of Jimmy's league and he's punching way above his weight
    The on screen relationship reminds me of that Sitcom King of Queens

tumblr_l5tnh9Whqm1qzteeco1_500.jpg

It requires a certain suspension of disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Jimmy and Kim's relationship is meant to feel off, though, when you consider that the recurring theme of BB/BCS is unfulfillment (Better Call Saul is essentially Jimmy's Breaking Bad story sure). The long, lingering camera shots designed to let you think inside a character's head and empathise with them are designed to give you that sense of quiet emptiness they're all feeling.

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Jimmy may be punching with Kim: we know their relationship came from a long, close friendship where romantic feelings developed. I would imagine that those feelings developed based off their existences being pretty lonely, Kim is an obsessed workaholic, Jimmy had turned his back on his old life and was trying to reform himself in a world that didn't want him. So it's one of these relationships that developed because they were two people who didn't have anyone else comforting each other based off connecting in a lonely world. It's both nice and inherently flawed. They're not together because they're either's perfect fit or first choice, they were all the other person had. So I think there is great love and appreciation for each other there while also being confronted by what they don't have in each other.

Kim is a catch: she's beautiful, intelligent, good craic, accomplished with a great job, independent, strong. She can undoubtedly do better than a morally questionable, mail room guy turned unemployed lawyer. She's also totally by the book (though we've seen she can flirt with the dark side), so in her even though Jimmy should be happy, it's just not fully clicking for him because he has this whole aspect to his personality he's suppressing. They're trying but we know that it's doomed because she's not in Breaking Bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah ultimately, Jimmy and Kim knew each before BCS started, and their friendship was already deeply ingrained by then. I think their relationship is just the natural progression of that, and they're already so familiar with each other than scenes of wild passion between them likely wasn't on the cards. They're both getting something out of the relationship regardless of whether either is punching above their weight.

Dare I say if they had picked a less attractive actress it would be a much more credible relationship? She's way out of Jimmy's league and he's punching way above his weight.

Mmmmm, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I spose. But, I don't think she's that good looking myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

2. Jimmy loves Kim. He is up early, hitting the road for jobs.

3. This episode was a turning point for me. He had a chance to do an honest job. He was admiring the figures. He was knowledgable and pushed hard for the job. His rant to them was his internal moral compass going off turning on them, calling them smucks. It took me a while to figure it out. He is dehumanising them so he can rip them off. Its their fault for being "mugs" that he can rob from.

4. He is now on the phone to Mike to rob them. It will be interesting to see what Mike does. He no longer needs the money. Will Jimmy try and do the job and bungle it or give the figurene to Kim as a gift and then she discovers its stolen?

4. No way it was Mike he rang to do a petty theft break in job.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Mmmmm, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I spose. But, I don't think she's that good looking myself.

I personally prefer:

Wendy.JPG

Now yer talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

4. No way it was Mike he rang to do a petty theft break in job.

The voice on the answering machine definitely sounded like Mike. Jimmy wouldn't know about most of the stuff Mike is involved with (In BB, he didn't even know Mike worked for Gus), so he might not think a small break-in job would be out of Mike's remit.

Tony EH wrote: »

I don’t myself either just to clarify! I will say she looks much better out of character than in, and I can certainly understand why by conventional standards she would be seen as attractive, but surely you’re not suggesting that she’s not better looking than Jimmy?! :pac:

The on screen relationship reminds me of that Sitcom King of Queens

tumblr_l5tnh9Whqm1qzteeco1_500.jpg

It requires a certain suspension of disbelief.

Well I never watched that show...but I might now. ;)

I assume homeboy in the picture also wrote and produced the show? :pac:

I have a neighbour who's never seen a single episode of either BB or BCS. Today he asked me which one should he start with..........and it was an interesting question. I told him to do BB first as intended; but maybe if BCS was fully completed and not someway through its as yet undetermined no. of episodes and the series complete it might have been BCS first and do the whole thing chronologically.

Tell them to start with BCS! What a rare creature they would be. They'd have no idea what a fall from grace or rise into criminality that Jimmy is destined for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

Tell them to start with BCS! What a rare creature they would be. They'd have no idea what a fall from grace or rise into criminality that Jimmy is destined for.

Yeah, imagine watching those Gene scenes and wondering how that had came about.

Advertisement