Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

He rewrote that letter I'd bet my busted left kidney that was way too noble to be a piss on you from beyond the grave that or he just bull****ted the hell out of Kim.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Have you seen Kevin James’ real wife?

Jayus... did a quick search Steffiana De La Cruz.

Makes the Jimmy/Kim thing very believable all of a sudden!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Jayus... did a quick search Steffiana De La Cruz.

Makes the Jimmy/Kim thing very believable all of a sudden!

Well I'm sure Kevin James being a multimillionaire has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Didn't quite get that Kim was "gone" as a result of that ep?

One or two posters alluded to it.

Because she reacted differently to the letter?

I also echo previous posts that she rewrote it he rewrote it or he bluffed it.

And yes, tied up quite a few things to BB being around the corner. Only now realising that gus wants to buy local, to piss of salamancas.

Edit : and sorry about this but I'm utterly fascinated with the start of the previous ep where the Gus Doc is checking up on Hector. Can't understand what he is doing with the flashlight pen?? Anyone?? Is it just checking circulation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Edit: Didn't see SimonTemplar's post above. Snap!

Edit: Didn't see SimonTemplar's post above. Snap!

Ah but your one comes with video footage!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

There's no way that's what Chuck wrote in the letter!

It really feels like it's kicked up a notch this season too.

I love the show. I love the world. I love the characters. It's phenomenal television, I mean what other show could pull off that heist and the Nacho scenes in the one episode. Plus we didn't even have much Mike in this one.

I wonder will we see much more of Gale? Or will there be many more cameos coming up this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I had forgotten about that song bit. When Gus is walking into the lab and Gale was singing that song - it was the first time I remember seen a genuine Gus smile.
    It kind of freaked me out, and surprised me all together.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

That scene with Gale was quite bittersweet knowing how he'll end up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Great episode, only getting to it very late.

Gale (who also appeared in S5 of The Wire and the under-appreciated early seasons of Damages btw) returning earlier than I expected was a bonus.

I'd buy Jimmy made the letter up off the top of his head because:
    1) You'd naturally assume Chuck wrote a giant FU letter to him
    2) He's still want Kim not to think ill of Chuck out of pride and loyalty; but also he'd not want her to hear the FU

Sadly for him, his outward emotionless reaction to the letter has probably been the nail in the coffin for Jimmy. That and his hesitation to push the door open. :(

A couple of great scenes with Nacho and Gus too.

Watched it quite tired, will likely do a rewatch tomorrow or later this week for whatever I've missed - bound to be loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I never thought was this but Kevin James (the guy in the photo) was an executive producer :D

I knew it was James, and knowing him and his buddies (Sandler and Spade) I assumed he was a writer/creator.......and casting director....of that show. Not knocking the guy, I'd most likely do it myself if I was in the position to choose an average-looking on screen wife or a smoking hot one.

About the made up letter theory, is BB / BCS the type of show to pull a plot twist like that? As far as I can remember, usually when deception is big part of the plot, the audience is in on it such as Nachos changing the medication or Jimmy altering Chuck's legal documents.

I think if the writers wanted Kim to change the letter, it would have been the style of the show to have the audience in on it and would have actually showed her switching the letters.

The only biggest twist I can think of when Lily of the Valley was shown in Walter's garden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

For suspension of belief, watch "Chef", written and directed by Jon Favreau. He has himself banging Sofia Vargara and Scarlet Johanson.

Great movie though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

About the made up letter theory, is BB / BCS the type of show to pull a plot twist like that? As far as I can remember, usually when deception is big part of the plot, the audience is in on it such as Nachos changing the medication or Jimmy altering Chuck's legal documents.

I think if the writers wanted Kim to change the letter, it would have been the style of the show to have the audience in on it and would have actually showed her switching the letters.

The only biggest twist I can think of when Lily of the Valley was shown in Walter's garden.

Yep I'm very surprised at people thinking that isn't from Chuck, Jimmy says at the start that it's not dated, so Chuck probably wrote it when he was still pretending to want the best for Jimmy.

I'm not a fan of Amy Schumer but she was right about Rosario Dawson dating Kevin James in The Zookeeper
    "That movie's about talking animals—there's a beaver and a penguin that are friends and talk about opening a bed-and-breakfast—but that's not the most unrealistic part of that movie. It's Rosario pretending—she should get an Oscar for that f—ing movie. Let's see Meryl do that. I dare you, Meryl! Pretend like you're dying to have Kevin James deep-d–k you. I dare you. It's f—ed up in Hollywood."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Why am i still watching this? I'm waiting for something to happen... very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Chuck knew Jimmy was stealing from the family business when they were children he was Jimmy's best friend and worst enemy there was no vicious undertones in that letter no judgement no way was it real.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Chuck knew Jimmy was stealing from the family business when they were children he was Jimmy's best friend and worst enemy there was no vicious undertones in that letter no judgement no way was it real.

The hand-written envelope though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

eric hoone wrote: »
    The hand-written envelope though?

Remember Jimmy in the mail room? No problem to him...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I agree with others here that Kim wrote the letter that Jimmy read, she felt guilty and heartbroken, that she had to shield Jimmy from the vitriol contained within the real letter.

jon1981 wrote: »
    Why am i still watching this? I'm waiting for something to happen... very confused.

This week’s episode wasn’t too bad, last week I was literally watching people making coffee and health drinks. Overall I do get the sense that they are dragging episodes out with tension and creating moods.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Mmmmm, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I spose. But, I don't think she's that good looking myself.

Plus in real life both men and women punch above their weight, you see it every day almost. People get with each other for a number of factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

What was the relevance of the scene with the models and Kim getting emotional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Tony EH wrote: »
    Great show. Still the best thing on TV.

Fucking hate Howard Hamlin. :mad:

He’s a two-tone-shirt-wearing motherf***er.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Yep I'm very surprised at people thinking that isn't from Chuck, Jimmy says at the start that it's not dated, so Chuck probably wrote it when he was still pretending to want the best for Jimmy.

I agree. He did want the best for Jimmy when that meant working in the mail-room. When Jimmy became a lawyer, though, it took away the one thing that was propping up Chuck’s self-esteem, and he lost his mind. When they were kids, Jimmy was the favourite, and Chuck could only cope with this as an adult by having something else that was his realm.

As for why Jimmy didn’t take the job last week: Their willingness to fall for his schtik reminded him unconsciously of his father, who was taken advantage of by every grifter who came through the store and eventually lost his business. Jimmy lost the rag and he’s stealing the figurine from them because he’s angry at his father. Plus, by not taking the job, he’s punishing himself for all the recent Chuck-related stuff that he hasn’t faced up to.

I wonder if the burglar will become a regular character. He could fill a similar buddy-role as Jimmy’s con-man mate from Chicago who died in the alleyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

KevinCavan wrote: »
    I agree with others here that Kim wrote the letter that Jimmy read, she felt guilty and heartbroken, that she had to shield Jimmy from the vitriol contained within the real letter.

I don't think so, the letter wasn't dated but made reference to Jimmy working in the mail room having turned his life around. This would have been before he became a lawyer and when Chuck was genuinely proud of him. (He made some reference to that himself in an earlier episode).

Kim then started crying not because of the letter but because she's realised how emotionally stunted and unavailable Jimmy has become. This will lead to her leaving Jimmy and him becoming full blown Saul...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

sicknotexi wrote: »
    What was the relevance of the scene with the models and Kim getting emotional?

I think she realised that the level of work she'd have to do would only get bigger and that would just stress her out more.

The AVclub made a good point on the final scene. Jimmy has shutdown the part of him that cares about Chuck and this is what is scaring and upsetting Kim.

The theft of the statue is also a very good indication of where he is at. On the face of it, its just a simple heist and a bit of hijinks. But Jimmy used to be the guy who would return the Kellerman money. He's not that guy anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I love that this show is released weekly so can be dissected and analysed before the following episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Chuck definitely wrote the letter - I'd imagine handwritten as Jimmy had a bit of trouble reading it at the start.
    It's way too unforced for Jimmy to have made it up on the fly and Kim wouldn't have rewrote it as she's a pro.

Advertisement