Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Tony EH wrote: »
    "Taken" can be past tense too.
    I know but in the context of the letter it feels like present tense. No mention of anything he has done since. I just think the lack of an update is the real kick in the teeth for Jimmy. Even a hate filled letter would at least show Chuck still cared. No update at all makes it look like Chuck had just given up on Jimmy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

LFCFan wrote: »
    I know but in the context of the letter it feels like present tense. No mention of anything he has done since.

True, and it's more the words written (or not written), rather than their tense that would suggest a particular time frame.

As you say, Chuck mentions nothing of Jimmy since he left HHM.

But, one could say that, perhaps, Chuck doesn't count anything that Jimmy did after HHM to be worthwhile?

I think there's certainly a case to be made that it was written some time before Chuck's actual death though, as the line "I want you to know how much I respect what you have made of yourself in these last few years." probably indicates a Chuck that was more pleasantly disposed to Jimmy. Pre-trial and all that.

I can't imagine that Chuck would have written that, after Jimmy's demolition of him in the courtroom in the last series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Tony EH wrote: »
    I think there's certainly a case to be made that it was written some time before Chuck's actual death though, as the line "I want you to know how much I respect what you have made of yourself in these last few years." probably indicates a Chuck that was more pleasantly disposed to Jimmy. Pre-trial and all that.

Remember the scene where their mother was sick in hospital and passed away? How Chuck dealt with that should give you an indication of how he really felt about Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I found this take on you tube about Gene's paranoia aka (Jimmy/Saul)

Start from about 2.30 and end about 12.00 he starts waffling then.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Teaser for season 4 episode 4:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Lizsalander

It's been very good

The drugs angle is more interesting.I had tired of chuck and the legal stuff.

Gus is a great character

The 'Talk' episode seemed a bit 'filler-ish' and background building.
    The Kim law angle it is fairly obvious she is going to turn on Masse Verde and work for the other side?
    The good guys as she sees it?
    I suppose it was intentionally dragged out to make it seem mundane.
    The same goes for the Jimmy angle it intentionally dragged made the viewer bored along with Jimmy.
    I was unclear as to why he refused the job then decided to take it on the back of what Kim said.
    The stars of this episode were Nacho and Mike.
    I am starting to see Nacho as a younger version of Mike.
    The Mike storyline was great the opening sequence flashback (thinking of Matty) the way Mike got emotional Stacey was talking - worrying about forgetting Matt.
    He then lost the plot with Alex as a result.

Now the groundwork is laid -

Jimmy is bored going legit.

Kim thinks she is working for the wrong side.

Nacho is screwed.

Mike has attention to detail in everything he does in personal or work-life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

The 'Talk' episode seemed a bit 'filler-ish' and background building.
    The Kim law angle it is fairly obvious she is going to turn on Masse Verde and work for the other side?
    The good guys as she sees it?
    I was suppose it was intentionally dragged out to make it seem mundane.
    The same goes for the Jimmy angle it intentionally dragged made the viewer bored along with Jimmy.
    I was unclear as to why he refused the job then decided to take it on the back of what Kim said.
    The stars of this episode were Nacho and Mike.
    I am starting to see Nacho as a younger version of Mike.
    The Mike storyline was great the opening sequence flashback (thinking of Matty) the way Mike got emotional Stacey was talking - worrying about forgetting Matt.
    He then lost the plot with Alex as a result.

Now the groundwork is laid -

Jimmy is bored going legit.

Kim thinks she is working for the wrong side.

Nacho is screwed.

Mike has attention to detail in everything he does in personal or work-life.

What is wrong with what mesa verde are doing and why was she just "observing"the judge?
    A fascinating episode as always but would love just to binge watch it like i did for the previous three seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That mobile phone shop front looks like Sauls office in Breaking Bad location

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I did think that too

• Advertisement

What is wrong with what mesa verde are doing and why was she just "observing"the judge?
    A fascinating episode as always but would love just to binge watch it like i did for the previous three seasons

I think the angle is that they are trampling over the little people to build thier banks?
    I am only guessing, but Kim mentioned something about her PA looking up 'federal laws' a few episodes ago (as a throw away comment). Maybe the judge is in on it?
    Or I could be reading too much into it completely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

every episode is unique now, but kim jimmy part was total drag, not sure whats the story with kim getting emotional and changing views etc but seems boring atm.

Salamanca brothers was best highlight, such a unique combo and simple no words hardcore action.

Gus mike scene seemed weak, Mike seemed off, and i presumed Gus had knew of nacho and what he might be up to way before the two met :confused: thou seeing Gus saying hes not over to Nacho gives some hope that he might stay around for longer, or not have tragic end, as others have speculated from BB that Saul was scared of person which could be pressumed as nacho maybe ?

like the theory of the phone shop being his office even thou now remembering series the main door would been at the left corner side not the middle but it does reasemble his office from BB once its pimped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Definitely not the same building or location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Agreed.

Its been years but that office block the phone shop is in totally reminded me of BB. Think sauls office was a corner office?
    I kept on thinking that that office is just off screen to the right! During his time in the phone shop maybe a space becomes available to rent and saul moves in...we shall see!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,382 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Anyone think Kim was at the courts to try and see what Jimmy loves about taking those cases? A way to try and understand him, which we can only assume leads to them going their seperate ways!

It may explain her reaction when seeing Mesa Verde expansion plans, her ambitions are completely off with Jimmy.

Then there'll be something later on that totally pushes them away from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Just finished it having avoided here all day in case one of you ruined it for me! :pac:

Anyone see Jimmy throwing the ball off the wall as a nod to Kubrick's The Shining?
    main-qimg-afaa4332f7c23a578fc5c668cc62da0d

This is just before Jack loses it. Maybe it's just me.......:rolleyes: It was all I could think of at the time though.

Re. the phone shop set. Looks like part of the same type of small shopping centre as the printer shop - these type of centres are pretty common in the states; multi-premise, all outdoor with parking, all in one type places with multiple types of services and stores. I'd imagine from a location scouting/building perspective they're likely part of the same venue.

Overall I found it possibly the weakest episode of the series so far (relatively). Whoever said a few episodes back that Nacho can't act - I assume/hope you've revised your opinion on that? Even in the picture/video still a few posts back he looks genuinely freaked and scared.

Kim is about to do something drastic re. Mesa Verde; the question is, what? I theorised a few weeks back they're crooked and I suspect that will be the case.

The best scene for me was the Mike/Gus scene at the end; but I wanted to jump into the next episode straight away and can't. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭eric hoone

Bit slow but that's the pace since season 2. It seems to be all about character development, even nacho. Could never warm to Gus though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Yeah. Gone back to a snail's pace, but still so well put together and the script is so good that I'm loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I think it's moving along at a good pace. I have no problems with it anyway.

Mike's the man.
    Whatever happened his son? I can't remember! Disease or something was it?

Great shoot out with the Salamanca brothers. It was like a scene from a Tarantino movie with the absurd amount of shooting and dead people.

Kim in court, I have no idea what's going on there and how it ties into the Mesa Verde Bank.
    I spotted the judge she was speaking to was Neelix from Voyager for any Star Trek Fans out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The painted sign on the phone shop was amusing. I imagine he will have some legal angle to the selling of the phones, maybe he will come up with some sort of loophole about privacy laws, every dodgy lad in town should be flocking to the shop. I can picture the phone company seeing sales are up 1000% and then want rid of him for attracting the wrong clients.

I remember in BB they were constantly smashing phones.

• Advertisement

De Bhál wrote: »

Mike's the man.
    Whatever happened his son? I can't remember! Disease or something was it?

Mike's son was killed by other 'dirty cops' in his precinct when he was a police officer.
    , because he did not want to accept dirty money.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Matt_Ehrmantraut

Mike also feels guilty because he made his son into a 'dirty cop', even though Matt wanted to do the right thing.
    I spotted the judge she was speaking to was Neelix from Voyager for any Star Trek Fans out there.

That is great spot I would not have noticed this all all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Mike's son was killed by other 'dirty cops' in his precinct when he was a police officer.
    , because he did not want to accept dirty money.

http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Matt_Ehrmantraut

Mike also feels guilty because he made his son into a 'dirty cop', even though Matt wanted to do the right thing.

That is great spot I would not have noticed this all all.

Thanks, it was his voice that twigged it as his appearance obviously is very different.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Anyone see Jimmy throwing the ball off the wall as a nod to Kubrick's The Shining?
    main-qimg-afaa4332f7c23a578fc5c668cc62da0d

I thought it was a very appropriate nod to Steve McQueen's character Hilts (aka The Cooler King) in the Great Escape.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

There's something a bit 'off' about this season. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's a bit more disjointed. With the Chuck/HMM story having run its course, the writers had to switch focus and maybe it's just a question of them finding their feet again.

Or maybe it's that usually in a show, there's a link between all of the characters. It's a bit strange that we have a major character like Kim who, four seasons in, still has zero connection or interplay with other major characters like Mike. I know that stuff works in other shows like Game of Thrones but that's on a completely different scale and the small town feel to Saul doesn't lend itself to it as much.

It could be the fact that we're watching a show that we know is going to link up to another one and there's a sense of anticipation and expectancy rather than just letting this one run off its own steam. Plus Jimmy is not doing a whole lot right now, although that will obviously change soon.

It's still highly enjoyable though, and I reckon from next week on the pace will pick up quite a bit. I don't know how Nacho can ever relax again in his whole life, the man is being put through the mill. Good to see the brothers in action even if that whole scene was a little OTT. The cops in Albuquerque take their time in responding to gunfire that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

nearly up to end of season 3 , not reading the thread till i'm up to speed, but i could sort of see how you could watch this first before breaking bad. I know it would not work as well, but it would have been interesting !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

That was a terrible episode to be fair, beginning to feel like they are stretching each episode out. The atmosphere building is a bit ridiculous. They could cut at least ten minutes off every episode.

What was the point of Mike spotting the liar at the bereavement meetings? I think we get that he is a sharp cookie already, it feels a bit like overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

KevinCavan wrote: »
    What was the point of Mike spotting the liar at the bereavement meetings? I think we get that he is a sharp cookie already, it feels a bit like overkill.

My take on it is that it's showing that behind his cold exterior he hasn't dealt with the death of his son, and seeing the character in the meetings pretend to have lost his wife directly after his daughter in law displayed genuine grief for the death of Mike's son tipped him over the edge, all of which was foreshadowed in the pre credit scene where his son writes his name is the cement.

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    My take on it is that it's showing that behind his cold exterior he hasn't dealt with the death of his son, and seeing the character in the meetings pretend to have lost his wife directly after his daughter in law displayed genuine grief for the death of Mike's son tipped him over the edge, all of which was foreshadowed in the pre credit scene where his son writes his name is the cement.

Good analysis and insight.

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    nearly up to end of season 3 , not reading the thread till i'm up to speed, but i could sort of see how you could watch this first before breaking bad. I know it would not work as well, but it would have been interesting !!

God you would never make it to Breaking Bad, once I complete Better Call Saul, I’ll feel like I have swam to the east coast of the states and back. It’s a bit of a trudge.

Advertisement