Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

It wouldn't be the first stroke of genius that "privacy sold here" Jimmy came up with by himself.
    This brilliant slogan will lead to loads of business selling multiple phones to unsavoury characters , some wealthy and very successful.
    No doubt as he gains their confidence , a few of these wealthy shady customers will vent their frustration to Jimmy at not being able to retain the services of the likes of reputable law firms like H+M . So Jimmy will start as a fee taking barrack room lawyer advising these people. Probably running legal advice out of the back office of CC mobile, but because he can't practice under his own name he'll refer to himself as Saul Goodman. Wealthy crims will have no problem paying good money for good advice even if the lawyer is banned, in fact being out of the shackles of regulation will be an advantage in the advice he can give.
    He's still Planning to get back into practice as Jimmy McGill but as that time Elapses the Saul Goodman name and reputation will have taken off , leaving Jimmy McGill in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

De Bhál wrote: »
    I spotted the judge she was speaking to was Neelix from Voyager for any Star Trek Fans out there.

That’s who he was! I knew I had seen him before and I meant to lMDB him afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Promo Season 4 Episode 5 'Quite a Ride'

The poster who called the mobile phone criminal angle seems to be spot on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Another great ep.

Slower than previous or as the Jimmy/Kim stuff was but finding hard to agree with anyone cling it boring or slow with the twins taking down an entire compound themselves.

I got the impression Jimmy would do anything to get out of therapy hence the uturn on the job.

Gonna miss this when it's gone. Such a beautiful show in every way.

I assumed initially (from last ep) that Kim was actually attracted to the idea of the masa vareday expansion and her role.

The soul searching speech from Judge Neelix (Star Trek Voyager) now makes me think otherwise.

Not sure what her issue is if so. They were never a small company iirc? Now just alot bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Good show so far albeit a bit slow watching weekly
    I should have waited for it to finish and binged it but I just couldn’t wait
    Mike just doesn’t give a fudge about anyone and calling out the man in group was great
    I’m assuming Kim is thinking of ditching Mesa verday after sitting in court for a day, she wasn’t herself when the head fella was showing her all the building models in episode 3

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What's going to annoy the hell out of me is when this season ends we'll be waiting a year for the next episode......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think Kim is just disillusioned by everything that has happened recently. The influence of her roles models Chuck and Howard has evaporated, now that she is self-employed she has no employer to impress, her law partner Jimmy is suspended from practicing law, and her private life is strained with Jimmy's coldness. I think she is lonely and bored. She did participate in one of Jimmy's grifts in an earlier season; maybe she is looking for some excitement to break her out of her funk, so that's why she is hanging around the courts. She could just rake in the money from her Messa Verde job, but she wants something more that that.

I agree with whoever said Jimmy will start making criminal contacts through selling phones. I hope that story-line picks up soon; Jimmy has been very quiet for the first few episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Bigus wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the first stroke of genius that "privacy sold here" Jimmy came up with by himself.
    This brilliant slogan will lead to loads of business selling multiple phones to unsavoury characters , some wealthy and very successful.
    No doubt as he gains their confidence , a few of these wealthy shady customers will vent their frustration to Jimmy at not being able to retain the services of the likes of reputable law firms like H+M . So Jimmy will start as a fee taking barrack room lawyer advising these people. Probably running legal advice out of the back office of CC mobile, but because he can't practice under his own name he'll refer to himself as Saul Goodman. Wealthy crims will have no problem paying good money for good advice even if the lawyer is banned, in fact being out of the shackles of regulation will be an advantage in the advice he can give.
    He's still Planning to get back into practice as Jimmy McGill but as that time Elapses the Saul Goodman name and reputation will have taken off , leaving Jimmy McGill in the past.

Is this informed or idle speculation on your behalf? It reads more like a preview for the rest of the season than anything else.

Is this informed or idle speculation on your behalf? It reads more like a preview for the rest of the season than anything else.

Speculation ,

and while we're at it Kim might start helping out a few low level criminals, pro bono , and they might progress to Saul if they get off and start making real money.

As to the Mike scene, I think it reinforces the fact that Mike tells it like it is, no matter what the consequences and won't entertain or work for bullshjtters , so he's very very loyal and he won't let you down or brown nose you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That judge could be the one who makes the decision on if Mesa Verde get permission for the expansion could Kim be observing him to find his tells or to get on his good side then make a play for the expansion.

• Advertisement

They guy in group therapy is an often seen person in fiction books attending group with a fake story generally looking for stress release Mike being an ex cop would know tells of perps throwing in the reason he is there is for his recently dead son and to support his daughter in law he's obviously gonna be pissed at someone coming in and taking advantage of the situation.

Anyone seen Fight Club Edward Nortons character went to therapy groups for terminal illnesses again just to relieve stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

I hope that the scriptwriters are reading this thread as there are some brilliant ideas and suggestions being thrown out as to how this series could go - great stuff everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Bigus wrote: »
    Speculation ,

and while we're at it Kim might start helping out a few low level criminals, pro bono , and they might progress to Saul if they get off and start making real money.

As to the Mike scene, I think it reinforces the fact that Mike tells it like it is, no matter what the consequences and won't entertain or work for bullshjtters , so he's very very loyal and he won't let you down or brown nose you either.

I know it's speculation but have you read any possible spoilers for the season or is this your own theory?

I know it's speculation but have you read any possible spoilers for the season or is this your own theory?

Entirely my theory , but I've been around many a block in the real world.

I also went back to binge look at breaking bad after better call Saul started, a few years ago when I had a sick week confined to the house.

My own opinion is that,Saul was always very honourable and straight in breaking bad and the lads never had any difficulty dealing with him, he was probably the best dodgy lawyer in the states , he could've ran away with money or played the lads at anytime , but instead he was always coming up with solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

nullzero wrote: »
    My take on it is that it's showing that behind his cold exterior he hasn't dealt with the death of his son, and seeing the character in the meetings pretend to have lost his wife directly after his daughter in law displayed genuine grief for the death of Mike's son tipped him over the edge, all of which was foreshadowed in the pre credit scene where his son writes his name is the cement.

Correct and there's been a lot of edge tipping this series. Mike is getting closer to what we know of him in 'Breaking Bad', Kim looks to be edging more and more away from the story, Salamanca is on his way to being the nasty little cripple we know and Jimmy's getting closer and closer to becoming Saul.

To be honest, even though the show is great, it would be wise to end in the next couple of series and not drag on. We know where Jimmy is going and he seems most of the way there already.

Tony EH wrote: »

To be honest, even though the show is great, it would be wise to end in the next couple of series and not drag on. We know where Jimmy is going and he seems most of the way there already.

But when he's there , there's plenty of tales, humour and skullduggery to be played out, no need to rush things .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

For anyone interested, Nacho AKA Michael Mando did an AMA on reddit this week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9bbn3m/hello_i_am_michael_mando_nacho_from_better_call/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

For anyone interested, Nacho AKA Michael Mando did an AMA on reddit this week.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/9bbn3m/hello_i_am_michael_mando_nacho_from_better_call/

The main thing I took out it was he got the pills in Hectors jacket on the first go! :

"I am happy that you loved the pill scenes. I had a few days to practice the drop - when we started shooting I was lucky enough to get it on the first try...

I felt I could do it from further so I asked the director Adam Bernstein to give me a few more takes

- I failed miserably at all subsequent tries and so we ended up using the first take!"

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,395 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tony EH wrote: »
    Correct and there's been a lot of edge tipping this series. Mike is getting closer to what we know of him in 'Breaking Bad', Kim looks to be edging more and more away from the story, Salamanca is on his way to being the nasty little cripple we know and Jimmy's getting closer and closer to becoming Saul.

I actually thought this is the last series.

Maybe one more max sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

was asking here why mike seemed weepy when confronting gus, opposed to his usual bold standing and talk, think entire episode since opening scene basically brought back mike to same position/decision where his son got killed- working for someone dirty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/breaking-bad-season-4-season-5-ending-how-many-seasons-planned-amc-netflix-a8480686.html
    According to the co-creators, it seems like (the yet to be commissioned) season 5 will likely be the last, but might also be 20 episodes rather than the usual 10.

When I mentioned how showrunner Peter Gould had previously said he didn't see BCS going on longer than BB, he replied: "I think I would stick with that.

"In an ideal world it would make a beautiful blu-ray or DVD set or whatever futuristic media may exist eventually to have the shows kind of bookend and be roughly the same number of episodes," he added, implying, I think, that he'd like to see Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul could be the same length as there would be a pleasing symmetry to this.

"But having said that, the big thing for us is not to outstay our welcome," he cautioned.

"I would stick with it. We are talking about roughly the same number of episodes as Breaking Bad.

"Though I have to tell you, if at the beginning of this you had told me we were going to do this many episodes about Walter White’s comedy sidekick lawyer I would have said you were crazy! The show has turned into a very different animal from frankly what I ever would have pictured when we got started."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I think because I know where Jimmy, and Mike end up, I'm not as invested in their stories now. They are on their path to ruin, so it's just a question of filling in the gaps. I'm more interested in what happens to Kim, Nacho, even Mike's daughter in law, Howard Hamlin, Messa Verde etc.

Mike is my favourite character, but I think since he lost his son, he refuses to move on, and stays with the grief and the guilt. His criminality lets him support his son's family, and gives him some respite, but he gives the impression that he doesn't give a **** if he lives or dies. Death would probably be a release for him.

I think 5 seasons should be enough to wrap it all up. I hope they get a major storyline going in the present day with Jimmy as Gene too. End it there. Maybe he turns himself in, finally facing punishment and redemption, and turns to Kim to be his lawyer :) I don't think Kim will get killed; I think she'll just leave Jimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Everytime we see the twins do something badass, the more respect I get for Hank who managed to take them both down even when he was unarmed.

I hope we get a proper flash forward post Breaking Bad to see how and more importantly why Gene comes about.

Post Breaking Bad who picks up the pieces who gets named and what kind of **** show did.Walter White really cause for those around him including Saul.Goodman

Thanks to the poster who mentioned Saul predicting gene

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

10 seconds into the new episode...... Wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Well I won't spoil anything only to say that was a fantastic episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

What a blast from the past/future - anyone know the episode of BB that is tied in with or was that just sometime after Jessie beat him up?

Lovely scenes with the 2 lads scoping out the build job. The first fella was too easy going and possibly had drug links with a job in El Paso?

Second lad was great with his little notes and diagrams.

Poor Howard!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

interesting episode gives hope for future series, interesting to see jimmy being rolled by few teens - expecting some sort of revenge as we seen in first season with skateboarders maybe ?

gus mike seem in tune, Hard to guess whats on kims head as she is mimciking jimmys practice,not sure is it to get feel why he did it ? flash forward was most interesting but quite late in the season but a good teaser none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The pace continues to pick up. Best episode so far IMO. So much going on. I'll throw in some spoiler locks but I assume anyone visiting here has seen the episode before coming here?

The BB flash forward was cool as we see Jimmy/Saul scrambling to gather up some things, destroy evidence and escape to his new life.

Jimmy and Kim are going their separate way; no doubt about that now. The shot of her waking to find herself alone in bed was very dramatic.
    Kim and Jimmy are simultaneously shunning their current lives for the real "them"; Kim becoming a more regular lawyer and Jimmy becoming Saul/Slippin' Jimmy.

Jimmy slipping into Slippin' Jimmy mode was cool. The sign worked to a degree, but it attracted the wrong clientele.
    Though he easily accomplished the sale, it was just too much like work for Jimmy. He wanted the easier sale from the real law breakers, not a guy dodging taxes
    . So he goes "street"
    "Street Life" was such a great song choice here - these are Jimmy's people
    when he had a chance to leave profitably when the biker gang came but he couldn't do so and had to go back for one last hit.
    Him getting turned over by the young guys was entirely predictable after they appeared again earlier in the scene outside the hot dog establishment.
    This was in effect the
    jump from Jimmy to Saul that we've been waiting for.

The engineers/geologists (whatever they are) landing in Denver shows Gus & Mike's attention to detail. As someone who's been in Denver a lot I can assure you it's a long way from Albuquerque. The first guy (French I assume) was too flashy for them and
    once he said yes after a couple of quick measurements and boasted about another job he was out
    . Ze German by comparison was meticulous with his pencil and paper and drawings, and he was in. I thought at first he was the guy from Bruno but then I remembered he was in Inglorious Basterds (I think....).

The Howard scene was interesting as it's the first time we've seen a relatively disheveled Howard.
    Jimmy is goading him when he asks what's on his mind. Jimmy's enjoying Howard's discomfort.

Great episode.

Advertisement