Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Denver is a 7 hour drive to Albequrque.

Gus/mike don’t take no chances

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Great episode, I think it is the first one where you need to have seen breaking Bad to appreciate it, and know what`s going on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Measuring Tape! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

I would say the French Chap was dismissed because he carelessly disclosed information (albeit without detail) on a previous job.

I'd say they were getting across that Gus only works with people he can trust (the guy with the pen and paper) rather than people with the best resources (laser and laptop guy) if he can't trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That was a great episode. Easily the best of the season so far and probably one of the best of the series.

There has definitely been a significant pickup in the pace this season and it's great to see things start to line up with what we see "later" in BB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Great episode.
    A lot happening.
    Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I would say the French Chap was dismissed because he carelessly disclosed information (albeit without detail) on a previous job.

I'd say they were getting across that Gus only works with people he can trust (the guy with the pen and paper) rather than people with the best resources (laser and laptop guy) if he can't trust them.

I dunno. Looked like he might've been a bit flimsical.
    Like going around *pew* *pew* *slap* *bang* with his laser pointer and then pulling an estimate outta his arse.
    Kinda reminded me of the O'Reilly scene from Faulty Towers

Then the German guy went around, took his time, took measurements, found faults, included stuff they knew would be needed (blasting).
    He talked about needing support beams. He was honest that it would be really expensive and seemed resigned to it not happening because of the cost and difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The Howard scene was interesting as it's the first time we've seen a relatively disheveled Howard.
    Jimmy is goading him when he asks what's on his mind. Jimmy's enjoying Howard's discomfort.

Great episode.

Howard is going into a meltdown!!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Poor Howard looks shook.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Howard is going into a meltdown!!! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy!!

It was superb acting on Patrick Fabian's part. He must have enjoying switching from the calm, self-assured character to a nervous wreck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Well I won't spoil anything only to say that was a fantastic episode.

No it was not, it sucked. This season has been woeful, 4/10 at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I thought the episode dragged; I was expecting great things from the early reviews here (note to self: watch the episode first before visiting this thread :pac:). Nothing much really happened in it for me.

I feel sorry for Howard. It would have been easy to make him an obnoxious, arrogant asshole, but his character was always pretty decent, and he was good to Jimmy.

I hope the show doesn't start becoming more narrow in its plotting now. What I really liked about the first few years was all the new characters (Chuck, Howard, Kim, Nacho etc), and seeing the characters we already knew interacting with them. It opened up the world again, and made it fresh. Now it seems to just be Jimmy, Mike, Gus, Kim, Nacho sometimes, and other characters are falling away...it feels like it's leading more into Breaking Bad territory, and I really didn't like Breaking Bad :(

I thought the episode dragged; I was expecting great things from the early reviews here (note to self: watch the episode first before visiting this thread :pac:). Nothing much really happened in it for me.

it feels like it's leading more into Breaking Bad territory, and I really didn't like Breaking Bad :(

The whole point of the show is that is leads back and goes past the Breaking Bad series. If you did not like the Breaking Bad show well done for getting this far! :D

I thought this episode had a lot of subtlety. It tied up a lot of things from Breaking Bad, the laundry, Saul making the hoover call.

It also showed three characters out of kilter with themselves.
    Jimmy wanting to get the kick of hustling and realising he does not have what it takes to go on the street anymore, he 'used to be one of them'.

Kim trying to do work (with people in need) that has more empathy and realness to it but being dragged back into the coldness of a Bank case.
    Howard's calmness and absurdness are gone, he wants to get himself back on kilter. In contrast to Jimmy who just says f**k it and rips up the shrinks card.

Meandering. Where is this going

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Slydice wrote: »
    I dunno. Looked like he might've been a bit flimsical.
    Like going around *pew* *pew* *slap* *bang* with his laser pointer and then pulling an estimate outta his arse.
    Kinda reminded me of the O'Reilly scene from Faulty Towers

Then the German guy went around, took his time, took measurements, found faults, included stuff they knew would be needed (blasting).
    He talked about needing support beams. He was honest that it would be really expensive and seemed resigned to it not happening because of the cost and difficulties.

Yeah it was a good scene.
    I like how the German guy and Fring agreed that it was going to be really difficult but not impossible. The distinction that got him hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What a fantastic episode and what a surprise to end up in Saul's office at the beginning. Both Jimm and Kim are pretending to be someone they are not to each other. I also see Jimmy has a self destructive side to him, where he went sell to the Biker gang, and he knows it asking "what is wrong with me" to Kim in the bathroom. The Mike/Gus dynamic is growing as you could see from their interaction about the.french guy. I feel there is still a lot of story here in Jimmy becoming Saul, if you remember in Breaking Bad he was a bit of a celebrity due to his TV ads.
    Not sure what people have to complain about I love spending my time with these characters they are so well developed, I really hope we get another 3 to 4 seasons of Better Call Saul :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not sure what people have to complain about I love spending my time with these characters they are so well developed, I really hope we get another 3 to 4 seasons of Better Call Saul :D

I wouldn't go that far. I think (especially given the faster pace this season) there's one more year left in this at this stage which they'll use to tie things up and set the stage for S1 of BB ... and I'm OK with that. Better they end it properly than drag it out for a few more seasons.

Now whether there'll be a spin-off to the spin-off is another question.. but please, not Kim! (I know Gilligan - I think - talked about maybe wanting to do one with her).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Kim stalling as the files were list during the car accident which is giving her a weird ptsd related crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭derossi

I might reading too much into this as this show tends to have you look a bit further but as Jimmy left Kim to go get the phones to sell, as he was walking out the door he said, "it's all good" sounded like... saul good and possibly showed him futher moving to the character that we know! Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

I thought it was very logical for Jimmy to rip up the shrinks details and flush them .......

after all he had Just seen the state of Howard who was also meeting a (no doubt)very expensive shrink twice a week and look at the state of him, so Jimmy's logic was that,a shrink could make him a lot worse, and he's probably correct.

The opening BB scene was brilliant and very tense , how tight were your arsé cheeks clenched hoping Saul would get away from the cops without been caught ? Even though we know he got to Cinnabon.

I wonder will the 3 scrote teenagers get their comeuppance in the future!

No doubt the biker gang will become useful in the future for perhaps this and other reasons.

It's all very clever, particularly the way small interactions or chance meetings with random people can have profound life changing consequences both good and bad on us all, depending on how WE react to such encounters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Wow! Brilliant episode , one of the best of BCS so far - in all series, this is the first time they have had a concurrent timeline in Breaking Bad.
    And the engineers for the lab - fantastic! I love this, I remember in an episode of BrBa Walt asked Gus in amazement "How the hell did you build this?"
    and Gus replied - "I had excellent help" - Now of course he was referring to the equipment and Gale, but still - excellent help indeed!

And yeah as mentioned, love the way they hired the German lad cos he was meticulous and understood the secrecy aspect of it, so what he used measuring tape and pencil and paper, the french lad was all flash and full of it - too good to be true.
    And great the way Gus threw in some German (his accent is as bad as his Spanish one :D)
    I wonder now will that guy be expected to live in a dungeon with his crew for months while the work is completed ?
    or now he's in the inner circle ?

let's see, can't wait to see how it pans out ..

Can see them doing more of this parallel stuff and ending the show in the Gene timeline...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Was there a second episode this week that I didn't see?

The episode was grand like, but one of the best ever??? Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Pelvis wrote: »
    Was there a second episode this week that I didn't see?

The episode was grand like, but one of the best ever??? Nonsense.

I think people are saying it was one of the best ever (myself included) as it really tied in with Breaking Bad - and it will do more so from now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

With Jimmy getting rolled by the skids, will we now see the introduction of Huell Babineaux, to give Jimmy some protection on the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

More progress made in this week's episode that the previous few before it, the tie in was what a lot of us wanted to see myself alluding to wanting a post Breaking Bad scene this was set during Breaking Bad by the looks of things when Hank gets it as Saul is doing a runner while Walt is getting ready to go to war.

I think the opening scene this season is Gene having the heart attack as the net is closing in on Saul he sees the Saul ad maybe Francesca his secretary has given him up as Saul warns her the cops will come, the bizarrely timed posted video above of Saul and Walt talking would imo be just before this scene which has been filmed this season rather than an out take from Breaking Bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The opening scene, did we see that far in BB or was Saul's story cut off before that? I can't remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    The opening scene, did we see that far in BB or was Saul's story cut off before that? I can't remember

We saw it.
    Saul and Walt both used the "Hoover Salesman" at the same time, and were actually bunked up together in the guys underground cellar while waiting for their new identities to come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Tabnabs wrote: »
    With Jimmy getting rolled by the skids, will we now see the introduction of Huell Babineaux, to give Jimmy some protection on the streets?

Huel didnt come into it until jimmy was saul for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

good episode, I wouldn't say best ever.

I liked the two engineers survey scenes. The first guy boasted about a previous job and Mike got the call straight away and that was him gone.

The second guy was a lot more meticulous, talked about how he would do it, secant CFA piling etc. (how he would do that underground without a piling rig above ground I don't know??)

Anyway he got the job.

The Kim story...again I don't know what she's up to, is she feeling guilty about Chuck's death. She seems to want more work helping people and not just one big bank client. I'm a bit lost here and wondered why she just didn't quit when the Mesa Verde Rep was giving out to her. I assumed that's where that story was going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Huel didnt come into it until jimmy was saul for a good while
    he used him in s3 for court to slip phone into chucks jacket :rolleyes:

i dont think there is any other show on tv that people analyze so much, like simple its all good when leaving part that someone catched here, saul goodman.

issue i had with bb that after s1 they picked up pace where it was constant non stop complete opposite from btc series.

Advertisement