Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better Call Saul ***Spoilers***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    The opening scene, did we see that far in BB or was Saul's story cut off before that? I can't remember

Ya lucky thing ya.. If you cant remember, it means you can start watching BB all over again... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Have I missed a huge chunk, Jimmy and Nacho... Have they had a falling out yet? I can't remember how their story finished in s01.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭steve_r

I think people are saying it was one of the best ever (myself included) as it really tied in with Breaking Bad - and it will do more so from now.

It was a real throwback episode. The cold open, the multiple phone's, and the meth lab are all BB staples.

This almost felt like a jump ahead to bring the two worlds together. Jimmy is not Saul yet, but to all intents and purposes with the phone racket he essentially was.

The slipping Jimmy stuff was low key, the scams preyed on the overconfident but this deal was with actual criminals - he is crossing a line into that world.

I get why people loved it, and a part of me lit up when I copped it was Saul's office but at the same time, we've seen that story, we know what happens.

I don't really care about the Saul element, I care about the Jimmy/Gene parts of the story because that's the bits we don't know.

Mike seems to be already into his BB starting position. I don't know what direction Kim is going but her character seems to be stuck in stasis since the last season.

It was a very enjoyable episode from a throwback perspective, but I don't think it was a great episode. The best episodes of BCS for me are the court case/lantern/ five-0 episodes because these showed us something of the characters we hadn't seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

steve_r wrote: »
    It was a real throwback episode. The cold open, the multiple phone's, and the meth lab are all BB staples.

This almost felt like a jump ahead to bring the two worlds together. Jimmy is not Saul yet, but to all intents and purposes with the phone racket he essentially was.

The slipping Jimmy stuff was low key, the scams preyed on the overconfident but this deal was with actual criminals - he is crossing a line into that world.

I get why people loved it, and a part of me lit up when I copped it was Saul's office but at the same time, we've seen that story, we know what happens.

I don't really care about the Saul element, I care about the Jimmy/Gene parts of the story because that's the bits we don't know.

Mike seems to be already into his BB starting position. I don't know what direction Kim is going but her character seems to be stuck in stasis since the last season.

It was a very enjoyable episode from a throwback perspective, but I don't think it was a great episode. The best episodes of BCS for me are the court case/lantern/ five-0 episodes because these showed us something of the characters we hadn't seen before.

Exactly. Well said! I'm not some Breaking Bad fanboy creaming my pants with all the tie-ins to future events: I want something fresh and entertaining. I preferred it when they showed us new aspects of the characters we already know, and introduced us to new characters. I actually care about Kim, Nacho, Chuck (RIP), even Howard, and I'm curious to see where they end up. That's why I'm still watching the show. Even with Mike, I was hoping there would be a lot more twists and turns before he ends up with Gus, but he seems to be there now fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,675 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Thought it was a fine episode but was very surprised to see so many say it was the best of the series. Thought it was a real comedown after last weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Usually the show stands up on it's own without needing Breaking Bad knowledge but i'd say the scenes with the structural engineers must've been very confusing if you haven't seen BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Is that CC phones shop Sauls offices in BB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

Nope. They are totally different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

De Bhál wrote: »
    Usually the show stands up on it's own without needing Breaking Bad knowledge but i'd say the scenes with the structural engineers must've been very confusing if you haven't seen BB.

I thought it was completely unnecessary, I personally don't care how they came around to choosing who would dig the meth lab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

De Bhál wrote: »

Unless you're trying to claim intellectual superiority yourself who gives a ****? Reality is that it's mostly BB fans watching. Of those who weren't BB fans, they've been drawn in by the pure quality of Bob Odenkirk's performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 MikeHammer70

I didn't have a clue what that tunneling sequence was about

I enjoy the show ,it's prob the only show I could say i learn something watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

scamalert wrote: »
    he used him in s3 for court to slip phone into chucks jacket :rolleyes:

i dont think there is any other show on tv that people analyze so much, like simple its all good when leaving part that someone catched here, saul goodman.

issue i had with bb that after s1 they picked up pace where it was constant non stop complete opposite from btc series.

For some reason i thought that was in breaking bad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thought the episode was OK.

Glad it might stop some "rules" people seem to think exist, as I said a while ago
    rubadub wrote: »
    They can easily go on with "Gene" after, a whole post BB thing. But also there is no law saying they cannot actually continue into the BB timeline either, it does not just have to be before or after. Saul was not in it all that much. In BB there are probably numerous little stories mentioned which could be developed. These could even be done as flashback scenes or something.
    This could be how they reintroduce or "cameo" other people like walt or jesse without it being some random/token bumping into each other while getting a bucket of chicken in gus' chicken place (or any incident before/after BB timeline). They could fully replay some incidents that were just touched upon in BB. I think Cranston had said he did not want to appear as a simple cameo.

also had said
    rubadub wrote: »
    I imagine he will have some legal angle to the selling of the phones, maybe he will come up with some sort of loophole about privacy laws, every dodgy lad in town should be flocking to the shop. I can picture the phone company seeing sales are up 1000% and then want rid of him for attracting the wrong clients.

I remember in BB they were constantly smashing phones.
    I found this disappointing, I was really looking forward to some ingenious way of getting around laws rather than the smashing of phones we were already aware of. Some of it was funny though.
    JaMarcus wrote: »
    I'd say they were getting across that Gus only works with people he can trust (the guy with the pen and paper) rather than people with the best resources (laser and laptop guy) if he can't trust them.
    Might also (like myself) not trust new technology and be more old school. I would trust the german lads measurement he did in steps before the flash cnut with the laser pointer. In BB I was surprised to see the trust in a digital device outputting the % of meth. Watching that in BB I was hoping to see it challenged and proved BS.
    Tabnabs wrote: »
    will we now see the introduction of Huell Babineaux, to give Jimmy some protection on the streets?
    surprised you know his surname but seemingly do not know he has already been in it! It annoyed me how he did not have any sort of protection at all, christ I head to the local shop at night with more protection on me. A simple pepper spray gun would have ruined all 3 of those pricks. Seemed unbelievably naive for a guy who is supposed to be into scams and know "the street".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Is that CC phones shop Sauls offices in BB?

It just the source of all the throwaway mobiles he used in BB...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

what tunneling sequence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Ive been watching this from the start, and Im sure this has been discussed somewhere in this thread, but do you think we will see Walter White in this show?
    Or will it perhaps skip right to post BB era after his death?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Personally ,i camt see the gene story going too far. The show seems very skimpy on characters who we dont know their future? Kim isnt going to be with jimmy,jimmy is going to be gene, mike will be dead.... I just cant see how they'll do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

wylo wrote: »
    Ive been watching this from the start, and Im sure this has been discussed somewhere in this thread, but do you think we will see Walter White in this show?
    Or will it perhaps skip right to post BB era after his death?

Gilligan has hinted at it and Cranston has said he'll do it if it's what Gilligan wants, but I don't see it happening.

We saw the first interactions Walt had with all the characters of Breaking Bad. He lived a boring life with no connection to this world when BB season 1 kicked off. I just don't see how they could do it without it coming off as desperation for the sake of it.

Though maybe there could be a nod to WW, ie. we see the Pontiac parked somewhere, maybe outside the school if that ever came up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I would love it if they dotted WW around the place purely as a background character, you know, buying milk in a shop, walking around in the background, like a "Where's Walter" game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I would love it if they dotted WW around the place purely as a background character, you know, buying milk in a shop, walking around in the background, like a "Where's Walter" game.

I think it would be a nod but that's all it will be if they go into pre-Cancer Walter.
    It would not really add much
    I doubt they will go for a flash forward after the police arrive at the met lab, that would need a whole other story.
    Hank is a fella who could/should appear in Better Call Saul. He was DEA after all.
    Also the head of the DEA who is best pals with Gus Fring.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Maybe it's already happened ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Maybe it's already happened ;)

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Now I have to back to the start of this series in case I missed Walter in the background. :pac::pac:

Or perhaps johnpatrick has just lobbed in a dud grenade to watch us all scatter....

Well, I'm taking no chances.

Its long enough after the the airing of the last epsiode (I think) to make my own observations.

Poor old Howard. His inner good guy is in melt down. Guilt over Charles' suicide. Perhaps also his relationship with Jimmy - poisoned by Charles - is something he regrets. I feel for the guy (hahaha , a fictional character , but sure isn't that the quality of the acting which is a hallmark of BCS).

Kim, ah Kim how unlike you to be so unprofessional the way you handled the crisis at Mesa Verde. I know they have to write her out of Mesa Verde somehow, but to me, this isn't true to her character (I know I know, she has some blots on her copybook over the the whole HHM v Kim for Mesa Verde account, but....)

The episode itself : what an opener. As soon as I saw the shredder I knew what it was . I'm obviously one of those BB fanboys alluded to earlier!

Perhaps the laundry scene was a bit of overkill, but isn't that part of the allure of BCS, attention to detail. And Gus speaks German - hahaha. When the German guy arrived, I initially thought he was Herr Schuler.

Has anyone noticed how many scenes are shot in semi darkness?? or is it just me? I wonder if they have to hide the natural ageing of the actors.

I expect we're going to see the return of Tuco, the shortlived rise of Crazy Eight. I want to see a happy outcome for Nacho. But I don't think that can happen. We know how cut throat (pun intended) Gus can be when 'releasing' employees from their contracts.

The more we see, the more I think that the eventual appearance of WW will be like the coming of the AntiChrist. But, THEY won't know that.

Anyway, off to watch all four episodes again - thanks JP:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

one of my favourite episodes so far. bcs is one of the great tv events in the last 20 years imo.
    the sopranos which i rewatch all the time and see new parts bcs has same feel..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Havent watched it back but was there any significance to the person in the background when kim and paige were talking re mesa verde? the shot seemed to include a person out of focus in the background. Or was it just the girl that kim was representing? just seemed to catch my attention for some reason.

edit: had a look at it there. it was a woman alright but it doesn't seem to be anything. just thought it was strange Paige is pushed to the left of shot and the viewers "focus" is on the person in the background as such....unless of course it's someone like Skyler!!!!?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

^^ I noticed that too, but seems like it was just a co-incidence, but yeah, they usually never do anything by co-incidence in the making of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Havent watched it back but was there any significance to the person in the background when kim and paige were talking re mesa verde? the shot seemed to include a person out of focus in the background. Or was it just the girl that kim was representing? just seemed to catch my attention for some reason.

Weird that I noticed that too.
    Thought it would be in the next scene.
    Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Haha.
    That would be brilliant.

Then again, maybe not. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

I enjoy the show ,it's prob the only show I could say i learn something watching it

I stuck on season 3 of BB after watching that scene got me thinking of BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,137 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

This show has a very subtle way of doing things a barrel of toxic waste from Gus and Mikes project could get dumped near the school Walt in the current timeline is working at that causes his cancer, there are endless possibilities with the couple of years left until the time lines cross or catch up for blanks to be filled in.

The twins could hit Walt Jr leaving him crippled and you know it's obvious a certain go getter in the dea will pop up soon earning his stripes by busting one of the gangs or characters in order to rise up the ranks. These are two potential storylines that could bring the two world's together without acknowledging the existence of the characters too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The twins could hit Walt Jr leaving him crippled

He has cerebral palsy...

Advertisement